Anonymous
Years ago

Carmelo Anthony traded to Atlanta Hawks

A 3-way deal was agreed today.

Main pieces are Melo going to Atlanta and Dennis Schroder going to OKC.

Melo will become a free agent and will likely join the Rockets or Heat.

Big.

Topic #43643 | Report this topic

AngusH  
Years ago

Not sure Melo is a plus for the Rockets. Would be better off starting Ennis, IMO.

Reply #697468 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Surely no contending team is dumb enough to sign him.

Reply #697472 | Report this post

proud  
Years ago

I'm not sure he is even worth a packet of Tim Tams these days, especially considering he will probably leave

Reply #697473 | Report this post

Melbourne Boy  
Years ago

He's an inefficient shooter and ball stopping iso player on offense, can't and won't even try to play defense, and is a cancer in the locker room with irrational confidence and an unhealthy ego. Big mistake if Houston sign him.

Reply #697477 | Report this post

Hogwash  
Years ago

Half price Tim tams maybe.
Could still get 20ppg for a crap team or could disrupt a contending team with his selfishness and ego.

Reply #697478 | Report this post

Big Ads  
Years ago

Thank goodness the Hawks final moved Schroder. Getting Lin from Brooklyn flagged something was about to go down.

Reply #697488 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Melo is still a quality one-on-one scorer. His efficiency was down in the year just past because he was playing in a role he was unaccustomed to. The criticism of his defence is fair though.

Reply #697490 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Years ago

I'm not sure about the smarts of this trade by OKC vs the option of stretching Melo. They could've waived Melo and stretched his contract out over the next three years at $9.3M per year instead trading him for Schroder who will be on $15.5M per year for the next three years.

Essentially getting Schroder for just over $6M a year however if they decide to trade him at some point they might not find much interest at his true price tag.

Reply #697493 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

What amazes me is he's going to get every cent in the buyout.

Reply #697513 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

That is criminal. Guy is stealing money.

Reply #697518 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

killed us in the Olympics.
Wouldn't want him On my team though.

Reply #697521 | Report this post

Melbourne Boy  
Years ago

Stealing money? Yeah that poor NBA owner who has to pay him out!

I hate Melo, but I hope he does get every cent. Players are rich, but the owners are filthy rich.

Reply #697529 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"What amazes me is he's going to get every cent in the buyout."

Why is that amazing? Melo has a no-trade clause in his contract. Maybe he said he wouldn't agree to the deal unless he gets a full buy-out?

Reply #697542 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"I'm not sure about the smarts of this trade by OKC vs the option of stretching Melo. They could've waived Melo and stretched his contract out over the next three years at $9.3M per year instead trading him for Schroder who will be on $15.5M per year for the next three years.

Essentially getting Schroder for just over $6M a year however if they decide to trade him at some point they might not find much interest at his true price tag."

Firstly, they're getting a useful player. If you waive and stretch Melo you have dead salary on the books for $9m.

Secondly, *if* they want to trade Schroder later, there is at least that possibility. You can't trade "dead" stretched salary.

So this move is all positive for the Thunder. The only difference is they pay $6m more per annum, but they are already way over the cap so the only question is whether ownership is happy to pay the tax. Which it seems they are.

Reply #697556 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 11:03 pm, Fri 29 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754