jumpshot
Years ago

Kings look good, but are we missing an import

Kings look good, but are we missing an athletic 3/4 import for the final position, the likes of Prather, Tokoto?

Topic #43645 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

in a word, yes

Reply #697515 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

If they lost blanchfield,shouldnt they have the same amount of money to sign someone? That should be enough for a starter level import right? Why have they switched to looking only for budget Aussies?

Reply #697525 | Report this post

Captain Jack  
Years ago

Agreed,

However JVG in his wisdom has decided they only need 2 imports and would rather have old or average aussies.

Unfortunately the kings will waste Bogut with decisions from JVG like this.

Reply #697536 | Report this post

AussiePride  
Years ago

JVG has said before that they can pick up a better quality of import at a price they can afford a few weeks into the season with the guys who have missed out on big US or European contracts at that time.

Can be a risk with integration of these players into the team dynamic that far into the season but it can also pay huge dividends with the right guy.

Reply #697539 | Report this post

AngusH  
Years ago

Losing Blanchfield and not signing anyone else in his place is a net positive.

Reply #697572 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Remember bringing in Bogut would not be cheap - think of it $$$ wise who replaces who

Reply #697574 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Si then going to the Summer camp is simply a waste of time and money.

Reply #697580 | Report this post

D2  
Years ago

Am I missing something?
By my count they have only 10 players, so unless they bring back someone like Garlepp, they NEED another import?

My personal opinion is that they need somebody bigger or more athletic to start at SF, rather than Newley, but that's just me.

Maybe they go for a bench player to provide depth if Newley or Lisch get injured?

Reply #697607 | Report this post

WookieE  
Years ago

@AussiePride - this was the supremely idiot approach they took last season and look at how well it ended up for them... and before anyone mentions Randle, look at where they still ended up...

I'm ok with them only going with two imports, if they get the team balance right... it's hard to argue with the talent they have assembled for their starting 5, but that lends to a cheaper/less experienced bench... There's a line between bringing in young talented players to develop long term, but where in the Kings recent history have they been able to do that?

I was all for them getting a starting quality SF import and bringing Newls off the bench like last season where I think he played better (as did Gaze if I recall, mentioning their thinking in some article) but with the budget already, the 11th will be a benchie, and I think that Kendall Stephens could fit what you were thinking, D2, and all wrapped up in a "local" player as well...

Reply #697616 | Report this post

SCOUT  
Years ago

Kings are an intriguing mix, often have ability to recruit great talent but never seem to have chemistry and play to their strengths trogh implementatin of x and o's .

Have be very disappointed with how they treated Garlepp last year. Agree with original poster they still look thin at the 3 / 4 spot

Reply #697686 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

If they would've hung to dreads last season he fills that 3/4 spot nicely, but JVG knows best.

Reply #697691 | Report this post

Huskypup  
Years ago

Tom Wilson wins SEABL MVP.

Reply #697696 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

^^ Melbourne ran 12th, Hooley equal 2nd 2 points behind with Moller also 2 points behind equal 2nd. Ballarat were 4th and Hobart equal 1st not certain how that happens, mvp should be from winning programs.

Reply #697703 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Ok. I'll stoop to your level. Try 11 points behind.

Now having said that. There are many deserving winners. However, votes were cast by coaches of both teams & the Refs - each giving a 3-2-1 for each game.

We all have different opinions and what we like or don't like about particular players.

However according to the criteria above the votes were cast and young Tom won. Not saying that is right or wrong.T
try congratulating someone, it wan't cost you anything.

Also, thanks for you opinion about who should win MVP awards (Winning programs). I'll write to BA and request that be enshrined in a by-law. Maybe BA should employ you in their competitions & by-laws department. Maybe some research on your behalf would uncover that MVP's don't always come from winning programs.

While I'm at it what is a winning program? One that develops their youth or one that buys success through employing 'hired guns' & imports.

I'm sure you will think the latter. For me I'd like to see an open book on what teams spend on their players and see how the teams ranked, as I am certain that a lot of programs BUY their success.

Reply #697707 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Oh that's right Wilson didn't play in the last game because he was in China. Must have been so far ahead eh.
Pretty hard to be BOG when your side is really poor.

Reply #697710 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

It's easy to get votes when you play in a side where the talent around you is not that good. BOG is also an afl term and at least last year the premier team also had the best player. Good luck to the Tom but the talk before the event was he would win because of which team he played for and he’s a popular amongst all Victorian coaches referees. Your opinion is fine but I’ll stick with mine.

Reply #697715 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I'm sorry but I don't follow your logic?

In effect, you're saying a good player in a bad team would stand a higher than normal chance of winning every year. However, I don't think the past winners (evidence) supports that theory.

Also, didn't Simon Conn win MVP last year, but Dandenong won the title?

Reply #697716 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Sorry Mt Gambier won, beat Dandenong

Reply #697717 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

They beat Simon Conns team in the grand final. Exactly what I'm saying,it’s easier to win awards as a very good player in a poor team. Tre Nichols got 80 points, Craig Moller got 99, Tom got 101, so yes it’s why a lot of these personal awards go quite often to teams down the table, top teams take points of each other. It is what it is so good luck to Tom .

Reply #697718 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"It's easy to get votes when you play in a side where the talent around you is not that good".

So Nunawading were no that good last year? & that's why Simon Conn won MVP last year?

I agree it is what it is, but the way you put your case you are suggesting Tom is not a deserving winner, which I don't agree with. As I said there were many deserving winners.

Also, whilst I wasn't there the article on SEABL's website indicates Tom got 110 votes.

Reply #697737 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Tom is very deserving under the criteria used but imo it's poor way of doing it, not certain to many coaches out there would take Tom ahead of Moller or Hooley, again my opinion and good luck to Tom, he’s not the issue here it’s how it’s done. Again look at the nba in 10/15 years all mvp played on sides that made play offs including LBJ who’s side this season who were average.
The girls was also IMO strange as Kelly Wilson played on an unbeaten team with amazing stats and didn’t win, again this not a knock on Lauren Nicholson, just the way it’s done.

End of rant, good luck to you all.

Reply #697766 | Report this post

Huskypup  
Years ago

So when you lose 113 - 94, 93 - 79, 101 -46, 97 - 77 and 104 - 62 how it is humanly possible to get 3 votes in any of those games.
Sure he might have got 1, and also missing a game makes the whole process questionable to me.

Reply #697776 | Report this post

WookieE  
Years ago

Seriously, wtf has any of that crap got to do with this post? If anons want to bitch at each other, can you at least do it in the appropriate threads?

Reply #697779 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Probably not a lot and was probably started by a kings supporter and when Lisch goes down (hopefully not as I'm lisch fan) Wilson will be your man in the trenches.
Hyskipup makes a lot sense there though.

Reply #697788 | Report this post

AD  
Years ago

WTF?
Notwithstanding wrong thread, I still couldn't follow their argument.

Anyway, are Kings going for an import or local with their last spot?
Who's available as a local?
I'm assuming Garlepp got the arse, as he's been out of favour for a while. So they'd be looking for a young gun? Somebody currently playing in the Summer League maybe?

Reply #697822 | Report this post

Huskypup  
Years ago

AD not understanding how unusual.
Garlepp didn't "get the arse" he was out of contract.

Reply #697841 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

I think you can use "get the arse" in the context of "wasn't brought back". Whether he was out of contract or cut mid-contract, they didn't look to keep him.

Reply #697845 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Yes. Wasn't it Stacker who "got the arse" in a similar way?

Reply #697847 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Likely to keep the slot open for a later import - they'll play a DP in the 11th spot till midway through the season and then make a call to either get an import or not. Newley will start and Wilson will likely get some backup minutes at the three in a smaller lineup as well as the 1/2 in a more traditional setup.

Personally I think this team has some holes, particularly athletically. Too many 30+ dudes will be asked to play big minutes and they'll suffer again against a team like the 36ers who will run it down their throat. They should have gone for a Prather type at the three spot to complement what they have.

Reply #697851 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

With all the guys on the wrong side of 30 I don't mind leaving the import slot open, as it's realistic to expect at least 1 or 2 injuries that could require an import call up mid-season.

Reply #697852 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 10:25 pm, Tue 19 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754