Anonymous
Years ago

Boti: Forestville flaunting rules for DJ

Boti suggesting there's some serious questions over the validity of the exemption sought for Daniel Johndon to qualify for PL finals.

Click here for the full article.

Topic #43649 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

Sorry link didn't work.

http://www.botinagy.com/blog/doing-the-eagle-crock/

Reply #697577 | Report this post

Huskypup  
Years ago

I have nothing to do with SA basketball and having read all of the clap trap on the other thread I would say well written Boti. What they are trying to do is not in the spirit of any game.
Win at all costs. No thanks.

Reply #697578 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Boti conveniently omits the fact that West (his daughter's current club, which I'm sure plays no part) are attempting to do the same thing despite complaining to BSA about Forestville.

This perfectly illustrates that most, if not all other clubs, would do the same thing in Forestville's position.

If you disagree with their tactic, I empathize with that, but this isn't new: change the by-laws to prevent this loophole from being exploited.

Reply #697579 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Wait - West have a player who is getting an exemption while they were gallivanting overseas? Do tell!

More likely you're referring to Jordan West who had a legitimate injury and was present in the country on the dates exempted!

Reply #697581 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

An injury sustained from playing another sport... Yep, that's the one I'm referring to. Seems like you're happy to draw a line in the sand when it's your club - funny about that.

Reply #697583 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

DJ got his packing for an overseas holiday...

Reply #697585 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I don't see those as apples and apples. At least he HAD an injury regardless of where it was sustained. And if he WASN’T injured he would have played. The same cannot be said for DJ who took a contract overseas then was on a personal holiday.

If you think these are the same things I’d say you are the ones with blinkers on.

I’m also sure 9 clubs agree with me including those with no horse in the race.

Reply #697586 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Jordan West would have played if not injured. DJ chose not to. You Forestville people are clutching at straws.
Jordan West didn't step on court for 1 and 16 secs in two games to "qualify".
Just own that you are going to bend the rules to attempt to buy and win a title. That is the only defence you have, man up and own it.

Reply #697587 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I'm not a 'Forestville person'. My club is out of contention.

"Just own that you are going to bend the rules to attempt to buy and win a title." - FYI, I think they do.

Now the issue isn't with the way DJ has 7 games played to his name, it's the supposed fake injury. Where's your source? Boti sure as hell wasn't asking DJ or his doctor.

MY point is you people will similarly bend the rules when it suits you just like Forestville are - YOU own it, then do something about the by-laws rather than having a good ol' bitchfest.

Reply #697588 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Didn't Boti use to coach Forestville juniors? I'm sure I coached against him at an U14 Girls Nationals back in 2006.

Also from memory, wasn't there a pretty big falling out between he and the club? Could be wrong there.

Not disagreeing with what he is saying, perception is everything and it doesn't look good for Forestville in this regard.

Reply #697589 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

You would be correct.

Reply #697590 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

By-laws have had to be changed due to Forestvilles unethical approach to the competition before, and now will have to AGAIN!
Other clubs don't do this bullshit, they don't have to own it.
BSA need to put and end to this kind of manipulation of their competition once and for all. No better opportunity than now and to the club that regularly "bends the rules" unethically.

Reply #697591 | Report this post

Camel 31  
Years ago

If they gonna change the rule , then three (3) games would be sufficient ,
as it was one time ago...

Reply #697594 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

9/9 teams that don't have DJ would try and qualify him any way possible if he’d only played seven games for them.

Stop kidding yourselves.

Reply #697595 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

You cannot speak for others. It's not just the one game exemption, it's also the joke of having him get another two games for a total of 17 seconds on court.
Sorry but only Andy thinks this is just, speaks a lot about who he is.
DJ has hardly played Premier League in 2018, didn't qualify and shouldn't be exempted.

Reply #697596 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Following the rules of the competition is bad mkay

Reply #697598 | Report this post

D2  
Years ago

Sounds like a lot of Boti Butthurt Bitching.

I'm not sure what a player of DJ's ability is doing in the local league, but apparently that's allowed, and there is no question Mark over that, so what is Boti bitching about.

He's playing for the team, obviously you would want him in the finals!?!

So he was obviously injured at the start, "playing" 17 seconds in 2 games, and missing a 3rd.
Do the rules allow those games to count towards the 8 game requirement? If so, then they are going to comply with the rules. Get over it.

Do the rules require that an injured player be physically present at any game for which a waiver is sought?

Reply #697601 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"You cannot speak for others."

Continues to speak for others. SMH

Reply #697602 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

You mean manipulating the rules of the competition to reach a desired outcome. That is more accurate.

Maybe he could step on court for 16 seconds in 8 games next year just too make a bigger mockery of the situation. Heck its in the rules, why the hell not.

Reply #697603 | Report this post

Hanging Round  
Years ago

Surely you jest and are clutching at straws.
Yes Boti's daughter plays at West
Yes Boti previously coached at Eagles

However, do your research and find out how many clubs Boti has been involved with over many years. Surely he doesn’t hold a 'grudge’ against all of these.

I remember training under Boti (many) years ago at Adelaide Latvians and always look forward to his opinion, regardless of whether I agree with it or not.

If you agree with Boti, why raise this crap suggestion.
Rules are rules but Eagles trying to flaunt them again

Reply #697618 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Boti has falling outs with every club he goes to, wouldn't be too many clubs he hasn’t been at

Reply #697624 | Report this post

TNT  
Years ago

Boti is the King of grudge...however, he must have been delighted to see so may of his past players he has coached/developed from Southern, South and Forrestville knock the West Adelaide team out of PL Women finals!!

Reply #697626 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Pretty sure Tracy will talk more credit than butt hurt boti

Reply #697629 | Report this post

Jason  
Years ago

Booooooolshitttt article.
Salty victims.
Let's go Eagles

Reply #697631 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Leave Forestville alone, to their credit they didn't try and get an exemption for Magok Deng, Brad Newly, Mitch Creek and Josh Childress. Apparently it was discussed at board level but decided against getting those 4 to play in finals because they didn't think it was fair on other clubs. So now they just have to rely on their 3 sixers and import to win.
Never would have thought there'd be a bigger villain than Southern who buy titles, bravo Eagles. Absolute disgrace of a club!!! And don't bring up this bullshit about if it happened at your club they would be OK with it, some desperate individuals maybe, but people with consciences no.

Reply #697635 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Are you okay mate. I'd see a doctor if my butt hurt that much

Reply #697636 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Hilarious how pretty much everyone outside the Eagle camp can see how what they are doing is wrong, legal or not. But Eagles people can only ridicule to deflect from this obvious low behaviour from their club.
Would hope that deep down somewhere inside, even those obnoxious Eagle fans have reflected enough to go, "man it doesn't seem right, does it."
I do doubt it though from their responses on this forum.

Reply #697639 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The rules need to be changed. But currently they are doing nothing wrong. The bylaws are there and they are following them. All he has to do is step on the court. Sure I and the team would have wanted him playing full minutes, but he wasn't able to. I’m sure the rules will change. But currently, they’ve followed the bylaws as they are set out.

Reply #697640 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

They have followed the rules to get him to 7 games. The rules require 8. That extra game they're trying to get is outside of the by laws and he was not even in the country for 8 games.

Will be a disgrace if BSA allow them to play him in finals.

Reply #697643 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Injured players can get an exemption.

A doctor has provided a doctors certificate saying he was injured enough to not be able to play even if he was here.

Next excuse of why it's wrong...

Reply #697644 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I guess he was perfectly healthy but played the two seconds because he just couldn't be bothered. Not because he was carrying an injury or anything

Reply #697645 | Report this post

D2  
Years ago

"Hilarious how pretty much everyone outside the Eagle camp can see how what they are doing is wrong, legal or not. But Eagles people can only ridicule to deflect from this obvious low behaviour from their club.
I don't even know where Forrestville is, much less follow their team.
But I have a problem with people who constantly whinge and carp, and imply wrongdoing, when a team is abiding by the rules.

What is even stupider, is that neither Boti nor his butthurt minions, can actually explain what it is they claim the team is doing wrong?

I don't know why DJ is playing in some bush league, I assume the league allows a couple of restricted players per team. So suck it up.

If you think that the limit should be higher, then say so, and present an argument.
Or if you think injury waivers should not be allowed (which would seem to be to be an unfair change) then make a case.

If you think there is some practical way to stop top NBL players from playing in local leagues, then by all means, submit your ideas.

Just stop bitching and whining because your team got beaten.

Reply #697647 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

If you don't even know where Forestville is then it is safe to assume you are clueless as to why the rest of the league is pissed at what they are trying to do here.
Thanks for all your ill-informed input champ.

Reply #697650 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

You have to be a Scumthern fan to be as dumb as you are. Don't you have some boo-ing to do elsewhere

Reply #697659 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I wasn't having a go at Boti, I was merely just asking the questions, getting old and it’s a few years ago now so was just confirming that he did coach at Forestville once upon a time.

I found him quite a nice guy to speak to both before and then after the game , and have always enjoyed reading his articles, so definitey wasn’t having a go at home, so maybe just settle before having a go at others.

Reply #697677 | Report this post

UseTaHoop  
Years ago

Good old Adelaide.

Storm in a teacup. Last I knew, no state league had a sheep station as a prize for winning.

Maybe he shouldn't play finals, but was he a good yardstick for locals to test their progress against?

For those who think Boti’s a bit biased or sensationalising, he did learn his journalism at Murdoch’s original paper didn’t he (The News)? Which has what the only broadsheet morphed into or merged with.

Reply #697687 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

No sheep station........tell that to the other 4 finals teams who prepared all preseason with their teams, played the whole season, all qualified and now have to watch Forestville add the 36ers MVP to two current 36ers and an import for finals under very suspect conditions. They might not agree with your dismissive outlook.
Let's hope the basketball gods favour the Rockets and chemistry beats bought, hired and hardly even played guns.

Reply #697689 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Didn't realise Starling was a local boy

Reply #697690 | Report this post

FM  
Years ago

Well f you are about to lose a few sheep and be out of the paddock for the rest of the finals, I have recently seen a solution.

Jump off the bench, bring umbrellas because chairs don't work. Your not winning this year anyway, so 3 - 5 games of Mickey Mouse isn’t going to harm you. Might stop Forestville unethical requests in the future.

Reply #697692 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Last time Hawkes lost a final he took an opposition player out with him...

Reply #697693 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Ridgeway took himself out actually but continue the false narrative against Hawkes.
Video doesn't lie. Clubs trying to get their import into the finals do......

Reply #697695 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Yep you believe that!

Reply #697697 | Report this post

Laker824  
Years ago

Its an ethical grey area being exploited. Personally Id rather have Dj on forestville if I was playing against them. Its a 1 in 5 chance you see NBL Dj show up on a Saturday, happy to be proven wrong. His lack of care factor for the intensity needed in finals will be worth at least 10 points for whoever faces them.

Reply #697698 | Report this post

Jimmy Carr  
Years ago

#697697 - VIDEO DON'T LIE

Reply #697706 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Not a fan of the eagles, but any club would do what they have / are doing. Can only think all other 9 clubs just aren't smart enough or don’t understand the rules. The ethical thing is just crap, just looking for excuses. Suggest the other clubs just get smarter and beat them at their own game.

Reply #697722 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Whether teams would TRY it or not is irrelevant. I don't blame Forestville for trying but would have a big issue with BSA allowing it.

Reply #697725 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Yeah because ethics and integrity in sport as well as life means nothing. Nice work #722, such a winner

Reply #697729 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Yeah because ethics and integrity in sport as well as life means nothing. Nice work #722, such a winner

Reply #697730 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

It is funny how Forestville want to be part of the league finals but don't want to be part of the Halls Woolacott Awards Ceremony celebrating the league

Reply #697746 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Forget what the club is trying to do, how is DJ ok with stepping on the court for 17 seconds in order to "play" a game? Thats bush league.

Reply #697747 | Report this post

Very Old  
Years ago

I have no idea of what the intention behind the sa rules are.

I did/do have an understanding of similar rules in comparable Aus state competitions

I those cases the intention(s) behind the qualifying games rule was to ensure that

1) the players and team that played in the competition, week in and week out, were actually the team/players that were 'rewarded" by eligibility for playing in the competition finals.

2) the clubs put their best teams on the court, week in week out, to ensure that the entire minor round was the highest quality showcase of that states' basketball talent.

3) to ensure that financial clubs did not "buy" championship appearances by importing players for the finals.( see Royce Hart SANFL)

the game "credit/exemption rule for injury was to ensure that players who only missed games through injury, and who otherwise would have been present on the court to play, were not penalised.

In those cases some rules included the direction that the exemption was only automatically granted if the injury period was actually "bookenended' by active games, and IF that it was clear that the injury was the ONLY reason the player was not playing in that game. In one competition the player was expected to actually be present for the game and to sign the back of the score-sheet.

Reply #697751 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

BSA should stand up to this continual mockery the eagles make of the premier league and BSA and use the clause in the By-Laws which allows them to rule contrary to a by-law if adherence to the by-law is not in the best interests of the competition. This is just a scam as was the Carla Borrego saga.

If BSA can't sort this out let Basketball Adelaide take over the running of the competition and this wouldn't be allowed

Reply #697759 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Forestville as a member of Basketball Adelaide. You don't think they'd use that influence to make sure DJ could play in a Basketball Adelaide competition?

Reply #697761 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

One v Nine!! I think not any other club believes this is right and could drive a wedge between that group

Reply #697763 | Report this post

Phobos 11  
Years ago

As an impartial onlooker, the complaints in this thread eerily remind me of fans complaining about Golden State cheating because guys like DeMarcus Cousins signed there for less than market value. Or at the trade deadline, players receiving buyouts and signing with contenders for minimum when technically they are worth much more. It's no different. You may not see it as fair. It makes it harder for others. It dilutes the 'evenness'. But it is in the rules.

Reply #697764 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Those two games weren't around the time he was injured by any chance?

Reply #697765 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Forestville think they are bigger than GSW and the basketball world rotates around Wayville!

Reply #697768 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Good one. Very edgy.

Reply #697772 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The simple fact is.

Starling is the greatest local talent to come out of Adelaide in years.

He's good enough to be in the nbl. And he’ll take care of him first round of the finals.

Won’t he?

Reply #697782 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

It's like trying to get a triple double throwing ball off backboard, not in spirit of game.
Hope north kicks their arse, DJ will be too scared to go inside or play any defence.

Reply #697786 | Report this post

Anonz  
Years ago

If you read the by laws Forestville have followed all the points needed to request an exemption. There is no clause regarding spirit of the game. They could also include "higher level commitment" as the reason DJ missed the first 2 games as he was playing NBL so if you include those it's 9 games.
Also to the comment about Forestville not supporting the Halls Woollacott i'm pretty sure BSA have posted photos of players and coach, unless of course Andy is also a master of photoshop.

Reply #697787 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Not trying to have a go at you, but NBL doesn't count as a higher level commitment.

Reply #697791 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Higher level commitments means representative basketball, not professional contracts. So representing SA or Australia at junior level. At senior level it's representing Australia. A pro-contract is not an excuse for higher level commitment.

Reply #697792 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Well that was mythbusted quickly and efficiently.

Reply #697795 | Report this post

Anonz  
Years ago

Thanks for not having a go but according to the by-laws it is.

Premier League By-Laws
(i) A player who fails to qualify for a major round due to medical reasons, a clash with 'Higher Level Commitments' (as defined in the SA District By-Laws) or in exceptional circumstances, may apply for permission (via their club secretary) to play in the major round. The request must:
i. Be submitted a minimum of 14 days prior to the commencement of the major round.
ii. Clearly state the games missed and the reason/s.
iii. For medical issues, be supported by a medical certificate from a medical practitioner that documents the extent and duration of the issue.

SA District By-Laws
Higher Level Commitments" means as any of the following:
i) Australian Under 14 Club Championships
ii) Australian Under 16, 18 and 20 Championships and Australian 3x3 Championships, starting at a time 8 days prior to the commencement of the tournament
iii) the Championship Division only of the Australian Schools Championships
iv) the School Sport Australia Tournament, in which the SAPSASA state team participates
v) Matches or camps involving Australian Under 17, 19, University or Senior teams.
vi) Matches in the National Basketball League and Women’s National Basketball League
vii) A tour conducted by either the Basketball SA NITP program or an equivalent interstate NITP program

Reply #697797 | Report this post

Anonz  
Years ago

I do think the rules need to be changed or the loophole closed but i was interested to read them myself rather then everyones version of the rules.
I believe i read that BSA were supposed to make a ruling today. Has that happened.

Reply #697799 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

So NBL is included? Thanks anons for posting as if it were fact NBL was not part of the exemption. Too lazy to do basic research it seems.

Reply #697802 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

#797 thanks for actually checking the by-laws!

Reply #697805 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Hmm apologies, I had been told NBL wasn't considered. That might have been true under an older version of the by-laws. Good call, 797!

Reply #697809 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

In that case he's played 9 and he wouldn’t need the medical exemption to be accepted.

Reply #697811 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

can't claim NBL games before he signed with Forestville. Hence they aren't being used for the exemption.

Reply #697813 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Cool, cheers

Reply #697816 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Forestville has thrown a possible spanner in the works with Basketball Adelaide taking over running of district and premier league basketball. Seems a couple of clubs are having second thoughts getting into bed with Forestville over this and past issues with the club around by-laws

Reply #697832 | Report this post

RG  
Years ago

FYI - I would suggest that Forestville are allegedly flouting the rules, not flaunting!

Flaunting:- "Exhibiting, displaying, flourishing, boasting, etc"
Flouting:- "disobeying, breaking, ignoring, defying, etc".

just saying......

Reply #697855 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I don't think Forestville living up to their dickwads tag again will affect Basketball Adelaide. In fact it could be the only way to reign them in as BSA certainly have no balls to do so.

Reply #697866 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

By-Laws have been met. BAdel have significant say on the By-Laws each season. If it was an issue they should have addressed this already.

BSA can only apply the By-Laws as they are written.

Agree every other club would have done the same if given the chance.

Reply #697867 | Report this post

Anonz  
Years ago

I wouldn't even say flouting. Stretching or exploiting maybe. Its within the by-laws to ask for a medical exception or claim exceptional circumstances which opens it up to any number of options. If the NBL clause doesn't apply then i'm not sure. I'm not privy to to exact details in the request much like most on this forum i'd suggest but i'm sure the dickwads at Forestville are. Its now Tuesday, any ruling yet?

Reply #697879 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

DJ is cleared to play, all of the clubs where informed late yesterday afternoon that the bylaw has been met

He was given an exemption for 3 games while holidaying overseas and never intending to play

Reply #697886 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

^^ correct.
Wasn't in the country for when the injury waiver was granted. BSA knew this and yet still granted it. Piss weak.

Reply #697895 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

nothing in the By-Law says he has to be in the country. Counter argument would be if he wasn't injured he would have come back to play.

BSA can only enforce the rules as they're written otherwise Forestville could easily contest, and we'd have lawyers resolving it. Guarantee they would result in the by-law standing so it would be a big mess and lots of money for nothing.

Reply #697899 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Surely they clear up the by-laws for next season after this fiasco.

Reply #697900 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Ohhhh to be a Forestville junior.....

Reply #697901 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Courtside seat to watch the NBL players they've been learning from win a championship. Must suck

Reply #697924 | Report this post

Reggie  
Years ago

Championship will carry an asterisk when they when it

Reply #697939 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

They never play so what is the point in learning? Cool learn lots, get splinters...great program.

Reply #697940 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Except the three juniors who started a bunch of guys. And that other junior who started a couple.

Reply #697941 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Southern fans are so funny. You'd have to be southern fans having a sook because no one else had a chance of winning until DJ came along.

Reply #697942 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Bunch of games*

Reply #697944 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Southern will be fine. DJ's groin is a major issue which is why the injury exemption. Not sure he can play 4 weeks in a row unless his playing time is managed to say one second or sixteen seconds a game

Reply #697981 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The groin injury will be managed by the latest specialised orthopedic footwear - street shoes!

Reply #698010 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 2:09 am, Fri 29 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754