Isaac
Years ago

Bendigo/Melbourne to host Boomers qualifiers

Full announcement:

Basketball Australia and TEG Live, in partnership with the Victorian Government through Visit Victoria, are delighted to announce the Australian Men's National Team, the Boomers, will play the next round of 2019 FIBA World Cup Asian Qualifiers in Bendigo and Melbourne later this year.

The action will kick off on 17 September when the Boomers square off with Kazakhstan at the recently developed Bendigo Stadium, before returning to Margaret Court Arena for the final two qualifying games against Iran on 30 November and Qatar on 3 December.

Tickets for all three games start from just $30 for adults and $10 for juniors. Tickets will be on sale to the General Public from 9am AEST on Thursday, 26 July. Go to www.ticketek.com.au

Today’s announcement is a huge coup for Bendigo and fans in surrounding communities who will have the chance to witness their heroes live at the regions new state-of-the-art basketball facility, Bendigo Stadium, the largest in regional Victoria.

"The game will be a landmark event for the city of Bendigo as we bring international basketball to their new stadium for the first time. Bendigo has a proud basketball history and we are sure that fans from across regional Victoria will get behind our Boomers as look to secure our spot in next year’s FIBA World Cup." Basketball Australia CEO Anthony Moore said.

The Boomers will be looking to continue their good form after finishing the initial phase of the FIBA World Cup Qualifiers with a 5-1 record in the first round.

As this second round commences, the Boomers currently share the lead in Pool F with Iran and look set for a stern test against Kazakhstan in Bendigo who must win to keep their qualification hopes alive.

Iran, led by star centre Ehamed Ehadadi, will be looking to secure their spot in China with a win over the Boomers on 30 November.

“The Boomers are the Asian champions and on the verge of qualifying for next year’s FIBA World Cup, so this is a special time for our national team,” said TEG CEO Geoff Jones.

“Home crowd support always matters and can make the difference in securing qualification. I urge fans to get behind the team and bring their colours and their voices.

“I am also delighted that fans in regional Victoria who have contributed so much to the success of basketball in this country can see the Boomers in action. The match in Bendigo will be one to remember.”

Topic #43655 | Report this topic

Cram  
Years ago

September game in Bendigo I would imagine confirms (if there were any doubt) that none of the NBA players will be available.

Reply #697871 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Victoria getting it done.

Reply #697872 | Report this post

alexkrad  
Years ago

Nice to see them move it around! All the way to Bendigo! (and then back in Melbourne again) >:-|

Reply #697902 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Victoria government is supporting it. I don't see other states putting their hands up.

Reply #697907 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Who might we expect? No delly? Strictly NBL players?

Reply #697925 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Who might we expect? No delly? Strictly NBL players?

Reply #697926 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

NBA players at the earliest have to report to their teams on 21 or 22 September. So it is possible NBA players play during this FIBA international window.

Reply #697933 | Report this post

ME  
Years ago

I wouldn't ask NBA players to play in this window, not after the Philippines fiasco. We will qualify without them and I feel like we need to minimize our damage with the NBA and not stretch our luck. An injury to an NBA player after what has happened only weeks ago would go a long way to them restricting players when we actually need them.

Reply #697967 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

These are not the USA games

Reply #697974 | Report this post

Hogwash  
Years ago

Agree with ME that we won't need the NBA players.
Will be the same lineup minus Kickert, Goulding, Maker and maybe Dellavedova.

We all know our NBA guys are committed to Tokyo 2020 but I'm curious as to how many of them will be available for 2019 Worlds.

Reply #697987 | Report this post

Hogwash  
Years ago

^ I say that because I don't believe all 12 players will back up for consecutive off seasons.

Reply #697988 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

If it's in Bendigo you'd think there's a pretty good chance Delly will play.

Reply #697990 | Report this post

rjd  
Years ago

Which other of the NBAers are from Victoria? Is this right?

Delly VIC
Broekhoff VIC
Simmons VIC
Exum VIC

Mills ACT
Baynes QLD
Ingles SA
Bolden NSW
Maker WA
Mathiang* NSW?

Active former NBAers:

Bogut* VIC
Andersen* VIC

Bairstow* QLD
Jawai* QLD

Dreaming for Simmons to have another go under Lemanis before the World Cup. Last time he played for the Boomers, also under Lemanis, he was a (just turned) 17-year-old.

Perhaps Andersen may be injected to replace Kickert and play his swansong Boomers campaign in front of his home state. There was a news report late last year that he took off the first window for 'paternal leave'.

IMO Andersen hasn't been given near enough respect for his national team representation. Even his profile on the BA website says "After four gold medal in the Oceania Championship, Andersen has made his first Olympic team at age 36". A poor oversight given that he has been perhaps the most committed Boomers player this century. He is actually a four-time Olympian. He's also played several Oceania qualifiers (2003, 2005, 2007, 2013, 2015); qualifiers that many of our top NBAers have sat out in the past. This includes the last time the Boomers played a qualifier in Bendigo way back in 2003, which I believe was Andersen's first Boomers campaign. He should be valued in the same way as past Boomers legends like Bradtke and Vlahov.

With Kickert out, a stretch 4 role is waiting for him.

Reply #698001 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Correct rjd. Didn't Andersen also travel at times to Boomers games at his own expense?

Also to people worried about players not committing for the World Cup - the wildcard this time around is that China are hosting it. Many of these players will suit up since China is the #1 emerging market and everyone wants a piece of the pie.

Reply #698008 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

Another big drawcard for playing at the WC is it's the main qualifying tournament for the Olympics, so is kind of important!

Reply #698118 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 10:48 pm, Fri 19 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754