Anonymous
Years ago

Premier League Finals Preview & Awards Wrap

The regular season is done and half the teams have gone home, now we are on to the real stuff!

4 finals teams faced off against each other last week with Southern holding off West by 11 and Forestville topping Norwood by 9 in what were potential previews of games coming up.

First of all lets look at this weeks matches:

Qualifying Final
West vs Norwood at Port Adelaide
March 24th: West 90 - Norwood 82
June 2nd: Norwood 116 - West 94

Both teams have earned the double chance here and this game could go either way, as evidenced by the split results during the year. It's been nearly two months since the sides last met and West head in with slightly more steady form despite the loss last week. Kubank will return to the side who went down last week and West is back firing on all cylinders. Lycett has returned for Norwood but hasn't shown the same form as he had pre injury. There's plenty of talent here with Wests back court of Thomas (3rd in Wollacott) and Legan (All Star 5) matching up against the Webbers and McGriff (All Star 5) against Dowdell and Jordan West.

West to win by 6 with home court advantage and move on to play Southern the following week.

Elimination Final
North vs Forestville at Hillcrest
March 31st North 84 - Forestville 66
June 3rd Forestville 83 - North 75

Largely irrelevant regular season results between the two sides as Forestville lined up different lineups each time to their finals side. With BSA wilting to Andy's every demand, the integrity of the finals have been compromised with Daniel Johnson exempted to play. With Forestville planning on suiting all 36ers during finals, I can't see any team getting close to them. Alex Starling, now a two time Woollacott medalist, will try his best for the Rockets, but unfortunately I can't see them getting near Forestville this week.

Forestville by 21, moving on to play Norwood the following week.

Awards wrap

U21 Award
Actual winner: Jimma Dau
My winner: Michael Harris

Tough one to pick as it's based on Woollacott votes but Harris has quietly had a consistent season, with a massive peak of 52 in one game. Day started strongly and took the league by storm early, but faded towards the back end of the season. Both great players and worthy winners. Hopefully we see both in the league for many years to come.

Defensive Player of the Year
Actual winner: Greg Mays and Tim Klaosen
My winner: Alex Starling

For a while I had Mays tipped too, however at the end of the day I had Starling winning this one, with his defensive numbers just being too much to ignore.

Coach of the year
Actual winner: Corey Maclean
My winner: Corey Maclean

Easy one here. Not only did he lead West to victory last year but has maintained them at a high level this year, despite having some ins and outs. A case could be made for Nyberg after finishing top again but Maclean has shown over a few years he's a level above the rest of the league.

All Star 5
Sam Johns
James Legan
Bryan McGriff
CJ Turnage
Alex Starling

I had the same 5 in the end. Cases could easily be made for Doyle or Thomas to replace Legan in the 5 and Mays might have a claim for a front court spot but in the end I think the right 5 got the win.

MVP/Woollacott
Actual winner: Alex Starling
My winner: CJ Turnage

Again very close, but I would have had Turnage for consistency over the season and some big games as necessary. Starling is Norths heart and soul though and it's hard to argue against the win.

Topic #43658 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

Andy and Forestville are a disgrace!!!! Hope North thumps them

Reply #697921 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Eagles should be ashamed and so should those supporting their bottom feeding tactics.

Reply #697937 | Report this post

Ingles13  
Years ago

Good write up mate. Is there a list of the full Woollacott vote? or even game by game scores?

Reply #697949 | Report this post

Jason  
Years ago

Let's go Eagles
You can doooo ittt

Reply #697951 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Top 10

Starling 35
Turnage 33
Thomas 26
Mcgriff 25
Doyle 23
Johns 23
Legan 19
Teys 18
Davis 18
Martin 17

Reply #697953 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Or even better

http://www.basketballsa.com.au/assets/images/general/Woollacott-Voting-By-Club-Sheet1.pdf

Reply #697954 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

*generic forestville are cheats statement* get over it.

Tigers not lucky last week? ;)

I hope west thump Norwood. I want a Webber V Truslove first round.

Alex is NBL caliber and he's stands a chance to prove it. It won’t happen. But he had a good season.

Nyberg has had 3 finals appearances in 3 seasons. I don’t think he can do anything else to get his case forward.

Reply #697955 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Do it without that team?

Reply #697956 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Tell me how the team is different to West's this season.
2 imports
Juniors of the club.
An old angry centre.

Creek was a wild card - however that season Sturt had DJ and ravioli won coty.

Reply #697957 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Forestville are cheats. Whatever it takes though right.
Tigers got the check they needed and are back to wanting it. Watch out.
Norwood v West will be a cracker. Both in good form and many potential heroes and villains can emerge in this game.
Alex is NBL quality, maybe not from the free throw line, and North are a shot. 5 in a row including Norwood. Playing great ball compared to 7 weeks ago.
Southerns huge budget gets Nyberg no love and rightly so. Premier League coaches don't seem to rate his coaching or are they just jealous?

Reply #697958 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Differences
Paying Brine 20k
Paying imports more
Paying Johns more

So in short, paying shitloads more than West who are paying way more than probably bottom 5 teams combined.

Reply #697959 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Imports more? I doubt that - Legan easily the most credentialed of the imports prior to this season.

Brine 20k? Doubt it's even close.

I suspect all 5 in finals are spending a similar amount.

Reply #697960 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

You suspect incorrectly then.

Reply #697961 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Idiot

Reply #697963 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

North paying 2 imports who are probably highest paid in the league and Atem not cheap.

Norwood paying Lycett and Stanbridge huge money and who knows how much the Webber's take from their club plus two imports.

Thomas, two imports and West don’t come cheap.

Forestville have three 6ers and an import.

I think all would be comparable to Tigers paying two imports and two juniors.

Reply #697964 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

No, no, no.

Brine is on $20k
Johns is on $30k
Mays is on $15k
Stadue is on $10k
Turnage is on $45k

According to the other genius, West just provide love and understanding to their players

Reply #697965 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Patty Thomas gets flights to the US so he does come relatively cheap.

Reply #697983 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Correct, West do provide love and understanding to their players. Plus their imports are the best looked after in the league. No other club houses their imports in Quest apartments.

Reply #697991 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Which the imports have to pay for. And work.

Reply #697998 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

That would be because it's a holiday and WORK visa they are on perhaps?

Reply #698014 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Imports paying for accomodation... you are trolling #7998

Reply #698015 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

West imports 100% lay for their accomodation at quest.

Reply #698018 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Pay with money West give them!

Reply #698019 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Don't import generally pay for things with money the clubs give them?

Reply #698021 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

You would think...

Reply #698022 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

West don't give them money they both work. Dowdell does construction work.

Reply #698023 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

His Visa allows that??? I'm surprised at that!!!

Reply #698029 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Work / Holiday...

Reply #698030 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

And Tupac makes posthumous rap records right?

Reply #698031 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Haha, Andy's probably trying to start a work visa controversy so Dowdell gets deported before he plays them. Not the dirtiest trick tried so far

Reply #698032 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

#8023 Probably pay for their own flights over too with your logic smh

Reply #698041 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

West imports both work. They pay for their rent at Quest by themselves. And Thomas gets flights to US paid for.. which I'm sure is a lot less than southern players are getting.. but Thomas is a west junior, loves the club I’m sure not about the money

Reply #698042 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Are you suggesting Sam Johns isn't about his club? He’s about the most loyal guy in the state I’d say.

Reply #698043 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"Brine is on $20k
Johns is on $30k
Mays is on $15k
Stadue is on $10k
Turnage is on $45k"

Is this a joke? Can someone from Southern confirm or deny? What a mockery. Payday for average players while the juniors here flounder without adequate coaching - KaChing

Reply #698050 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I'd be very surprised if those numbers are accurate! And I think they spend a shitload but that’s just some made up figures.

Reply #698051 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Not saying Johns isn't about his club.. just saying that Thomas isn’t getting much money at all.. you’d surely think he would have had the chance to go play elsewhere but hasn’t

Reply #698055 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Seems like someone inside West with a lot of inside knowledge about Salaries and the way certain players are getting paid is getting defensive.... cough coach cough.

Reply #698062 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

There's no way they’re spending $120,000 on their players when they’re already spending that on Nybergs groceries

Reply #698063 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Johns would have been looking at >10k for another QBL stint so would say 30k is a little excessive but no doubt he is still on good coin. Coaching would also be tied into these big Southern contracts you'd think!

Reply #698066 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I'm not the coach but I’ve had a conversation with him about thier import package and he was quite open about it.

Reply #698071 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Norths budget is not what people on here suggest.
Returning visa argument is outdated. New sporting, sponsorship visa Is not like the old returning visa costs, not even close.
Alex paid match payments and works full time for the club to supplement the majority of his coin.
CJ and Atem not on anything like Southern / Eagles / Norwood guns.
No-one else paid
Men's and women's budgets capped at exactly the same.

Reply #698072 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

^ if this was true *cough cough* the West coach would be so thrilled you decided to post it on a public forum!!

Reply #698073 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

There's no way North have equal men and women budgets

Reply #698075 | Report this post

Personal Friend  
Years ago

Im a personal friend of Sam Johns and he has been quite open with me about his salary from the 36er's and Southern!
Between the 2 clubs he is averaging around $100K a year and they also put up a deposit on a house for him at Hackham, so he is happy!
With all this cash he is receiving he has even been slowly paying back is Dad all the money he has outlaid for him over the tough years.
Also do not question his loyalty, over the years plenty of clubs have approached him to change , starting way back in u/14's when Sturt did so they could chase the Australian club champs, but to his credit he has remained loyal to the club that has taught him all about playing ball, discipline and loyalty!

Reply #698076 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I actually don't think it’s a big secret.

Reply #698077 | Report this post

Personal friends  
Years ago

Rumour has it Sam's 100k is largely paid for by the 10c recycling refund’s on coopers pale ale’s, courtesy of personal friend.

Reply #698082 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"Alex paid match payments and works full time for the club to supplement the majority of his coin."

So he's being paid a lot under the guise of the 'FT' gig.

"CJ and Atem not on anything like Southern / Eagles / Norwood guns"

How would you know how much other clubs are paying? So much insider knowledge.

North were willing to spent the $$$ to bring players in: they all just chose to sign elsewhere. Wonder how much Goodluck would have earned this season too...

Reply #698083 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I can confirm that north Adelaide contribute exactly the same to each of their men and women's team. What Norwood is paying for a transfer of ONE player from Woodville is more than the entire payments to all players excluding Starling. This is confirmed in their annual accounts

Reply #698086 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Alex, CJ and Atems match payments would be nothing compared to,
- DJ, Teys, Doyle and Richard ( throw in Deng for a couple of games )
- Turnage, Mays, Brine, Johns, Staude, Burns and Dodman
- Stanbridge, McGriff, Lycett, Both Webber's and Kennedy

Starling DOES work for the club.

Teys was recruited but decided on Eagles with his Sixer mates. Who else signed elsewhere? Stop talking shit.
Goodluck, please..........

Reply #698088 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"would be nothing compared to"

Ahhhhh, so you DON'T know what Norwood, Forestville etc. are paying. Just fabricating numbers to suit your narrative. Gotcha.

"Starling DOES work for the club"

I believe that he does, just not that he's the most qualified person for the job. So the FT gig is to make up for the shortfall in match payments. In accordance with his value-output he's essentially being paid a lot to play (since that's where he excels), and a little for the FT position. Fair enough.

Reply #698090 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

At Norwood Kennedy is getting paid nothing, maybe a little petrol money. Desperate to be in Australia so playing for nothing and just a shooters role off the bench. Webbers earn good coin off court and Drew is VP I think still so wouldn't be after cash.

Reply #698094 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

#090. Wrong again mate!!

Reply #698100 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"I can confirm that north Adelaide contribute exactly the same to each of their men and women's team."

Oh. So the budgets there, they just don't spend it all

Reply #698111 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

At Woodville we pay our players too.. throw some shade my way?

Just trying to be relevant again

Reply #698140 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

You pay your players at Woodville???? Should ask for a refund!!!!!!!!

Reply #698146 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Doubt Boonstoppel came cheap. He would have had plenty of offers after his div 3 season

Reply #698147 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

yet another eagles junior forced out of his club due to these 36ers. When will the club learn

Reply #698149 | Report this post

Reggie  
Years ago

Will be fascinating to see the final score in the Rockets vs 36ers game

Reply #698293 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

We will annihilate the Rockets - they have no chance

Reply #698314 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I thought the Sixers were playing the Jazz?

Reply #698315 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

That's our reserves team!!

Reply #698321 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Annihilate the Rockets eh. Obviously haven't seen their last 5 outings. It will be on mate.
TEAM vs hired guns. Will be very exciting. I hope the basketball gods favour the Rockets.

Reply #698334 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

These blokes would be 'hired guns' anywhere they signed. Can you get over the fact it was in Adelaide, the city they play professionally in. Thanks

Reply #698359 | Report this post

Wyatt Earp  
Years ago

I want to know whose Doc Holliday , Butch and Sundance and my brother Virgil are?
Maybe they should change the name of Wayville to the OK Corral

Reply #698363 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

314/321, I initially thought your trolling was pretty weak but have evidently overestimated the intelligence of the average Hoops-reader. Bravo.

Reply #698364 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I do not begrudge these persons playing but I am disappointed that we seem to spend more time working through the legalities of the By-Laws and searching for loopholes rather than using that time better to develop our in club resources

Reply #698365 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Hey give me some credit (#315) as I triggered the response! :D

Reply #698367 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"team" got unlucky tonight

always next year :/

Reply #698544 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

League obviously told the umpires to stop Forestville winning but DJ wasn't having any of it

Reply #698545 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Mcgriff was huge tonight - this coming from a West supporter. All 4 underdogs got the win tonight very interesting

Reply #698546 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

You mean the referees

Reply #698548 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Does it really matter champ

Reply #698553 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

North did well defensively conceding less than 60 by 3/4 time. A couple of brain fades and. 36ers meshing well finally got win in OT. They are not unbeatable!

Reply #698565 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Doyle back next week and it's game over for the season to the rest of the league.

Reply #698566 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Was a fantastic game. North kept getting out but the eagles kept dragging themselves back. 9/22 from the line cost North. CJ hits one of those with 30 seconds left and they win.

Reply #698567 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

From an Eagles supporter: Forestville are definitely beatable, and hats off to North. Their defense was fantastic virtually all night and played solid team basketball offensively, lead by Starling, Jonnek and Atem (coming off an ankle injury, no less). Missed free throws and a couple of lapses late cost them, but it was a good performance and entertaining contest.

Reply #698568 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Did. anyone see any of the other three games?

Reply #698574 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Not sure what happened West V Norwood, doesn't look pretty for West....

Reply #698685 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Southern women played their best game of the season Saturday night, led by Jess Frost. York made some great coaching moves especially on the defensive end of the floor, and Norwood simply had no response. Tight game until midway through the fourth, at which stage the Flames looked to just about give up.

Danger game for Sturt this Saturday night, after letting the Eagles off without Thompson. Southern at their best, are the second best team in the women's side.

Reply #698691 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 10:14 am, Sat 20 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754