Time of the year
Years ago

P.L Finals Refs

Now that it's Finals time & only minimal numbers required finally the number of unqualified kids will watch from the side

3 umpires on men & woman has reduced the standard this year
I say scrap it in the regular season

What do other people think ?

Topic #43663 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

The seasoned referees were often just as poor as the younger ones - who made errors that are to be expected at this stage in their development. In hindsight, I actually think this was a pragmatic idea by BSA.

Nathan Durant is clearly our best referee, and there are a few others that are capable at PL-level. If Adam is supposedly our second-best ref (according to whoever decides that), you know there are issues. Given this, it might be necessary to blood our best up-and-coming refs.

I'll be interested to see who is rostered during the finals.

Reply #698085 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Please don't let Mike Gibson decide after last year's disgraceful placement of referees. Surely BSA has learned from that

Reply #698091 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

So many are arrogant, most coaches will ask a question and either ignored or told that the call was 100% right when looking back it clearly wasn't. Most coaches will accept they didn't see it or that's what I saw.
Pity the coaches couldn't do a rating of refs after the game and give some feedback especially with demeanour. Rather have a ref that makes some mistakes and can admit they're not perfect than one who thinks they're right everytime.

Reply #698093 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Shows the understanding and the ignorance of most. The coaches vote for referee of the year. Adam was voted best referee in the Women's league from a pool of referees who qualified for the award (having referee’d 8 Women’s games). Durant was voted best referee i the Men’s league under the same qualification method.

Nathan winning Men’s and Adam winning women’s is not the start of the states order of merit. They are simply awards based on selection criteria, not rankings.

I’d suggest don’t post if you have no clue about the subject you are talking about.

There are 17 referees on this years finals panel.

Reply #698102 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Mate I actually wrote in my post that I didn't know how the award was decided. I also didn't directly say or imply that Nathan was a better 'ranked' referee because he won the mens award: Nathan is just the best referee we have.

I'd suggest don’t post until you brush up on your reading comprehension skills.

My point remains the same: if Adam's our state's second-best referee (or even close to), that's an issue.

Reply #698104 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Hence my point, he won an award based on set criteria. It in no way suggests he is second best or close

Reply #698108 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

And things are not going to get any better after seeing who BSA today announced as trainee referee development officer

Reply #698109 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I'd expect Premier League is not his portfolio

Reply #698112 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"It in no way suggests he is second best or close"

Talk about not having a clue...

Reply #698115 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

^ that's funny. Even if you just look at National panel appointments and SEABL appointments there are a minimum of 8 names before he is in the discussion. Don’t get silverware from a coaches popularity contest confused with performance based order of merit. But you know this right?

Reply #698122 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I actually think the refs are getting BETTER and I have been around a looooong time. Some work better with others, but that's natural. It's never going to be perfect but on the whole, heading in the right direction.

Reply #698154 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

^^^ Is that you Mike?!?

Reply #698166 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

New Basketball Development Officer

Michael Harvey........He's from Wayville

Best person for the job ,Green shifter trainee,does miniball everyday,let’s them referee,while he sits in the office
plays his computer games,or smokes outside to pass time.Managers pet.Highly recommended by Wayville Manager.

Reply #698186 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

is that a self appointed title? There's no mention of this from BSA along with other staff appointments.

Reply #698208 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Well you will see how good Durant is Saturday night, hope he has his wheaties!

Reply #698282 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I don't think anyone questions Durant's skills.

It's the rest of them ....

Reply #698284 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Let's hope we don't have a repeat of last year. Best refs should be doing the men's elimination final as there is no second chance and we don't need the refs to be intimidated by Andy and his Forestville 36ers

Reply #698304 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

With the two he has Saturday night he might need to be superman (was my point)

Reply #698309 | Report this post

Time of the year  
Years ago

Who is on the Finals ?
The O.P was more about the usefulness of 3 umpires
Surely the top 6 or so will be on the Elim Finals this week so it should be quite strong

Reply #698326 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

It's just so shit that we can even discuss the fact the best refs should be in the elimination final because the other two teams have a double chance - the state we are in!

Reply #698329 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

As posted in the PL preview...

Womens Elim - Gillings, Troy, Jolley
Womens Qual - Starkey, Just, Frost

Mens Elim - Devlin, Wieland, Griguol
Mens Qual - Durant, Hall, Sheppard

Reply #698330 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I do not buy that you need the best crews on the elimination final. Every final is important. You should put the best crews on every game across the board. A blend of experience and the best "performed" next level (emphasis on the best performed). The men's Qualifying final is every bit as important as the elimination final because more probable than not the loser will be playing Forestville and could conceivably go out in straight sets.

The qualifying crew is below standard.

Reply #698332 | Report this post

Ref sympathizer  
Years ago

Refs are refs, they are always going to make mistakes or not call things they didn't see properly and players and spectators will get angry!!!!!!!
Its inevitable just like death and taxes :(
But saying that I can not believe the reefing standards of one, I don't know his name but he refs in the NBL and he walks around puffing out his chest and thinks he is gods gift to basketball, he is terrible and arrogant!!!!
Please bring in the crew of NBL refs from Victoria, yeah they will make mistakes like players,coaches and any other human does but there level of professionalism is way above our locals {sorry to say}

Reply #698357 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

South Australia only has 3 NBL refs, Durant, Griguol and Aylen (ex-Victorian here 3 years).

Reply #698361 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Grigoul is a spud

And can someone get these refs a decent pair of slacks

Reply #698411 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

This is finals. Can the refs please let them play and manage the game through better communication

Reply #698431 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

A foul is a foul, a travel is a travel. There is nowhere in the rules that says things are called differently in the finals. Trying to manage the game is just asking for trouble because most do not have the skill set to do this. Control is the word or you will have scenes like North v West last year or South v Centrals this year.

Reply #698432 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

So if a foul is a foul why do some refs officiate as if it is netball and others like it is rugby.

Reply #698448 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Because Einstein the gap between the best ranked on the panel and the lowest ranked on the panel is massive. Just like the difference between the best player on the team and the #12 player on the team is massive. It's not a hard concept to fathom.

Reply #698450 | Report this post

USA  
Years ago

Who is the guy on the Bearcats game at Pt Adelaide with the silver whistle & tight trousers ?

Back home the Officials are humble whistle blowers just doing a job

Reply #698648 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

That would be Durant "USA". I don't know what the issue is with the referees? Quite frankly there will always be a very poor stigma about referees yet there weren’t any complaints about those on games on Saturday night??? The teams who lost simply lost due to poor performance...?

Reply #698754 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 1:44 am, Fri 26 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754