Isaac
Years ago

NZ Breakers no longer playing at NSEC

On Wednesday, the side released their schedule for the upcoming 2018/19 ANBL season on which there's no sign of the NSEC, with Spark Arena taking over as the official home of the team.

It's the first major move for the new ownership group who have 10 games locked in at the downtown venue with another four earmarked for around the country.

The NSEC will instead undergo renovations after it was deemed unsuitable by the Australian-based league. It also wasn't considered to host the Tall Blacks' World Cup qualifier against China earlier this month.
Full story

Topic #43669 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

Good move the other place looked very dated and crap on tv.

Also nice to open a link and find it not behind a paywall.

Reply #698251 | Report this post

Manu Fieldel  
Years ago

Good move. NSEC was ugly af

Reply #698253 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I wrote about this in the "NBL schedule" thread yet no one else seemed to think it was a big deal. So relieved to not have to have that embarrassing venue and court involved with our league.

Also NSEC seem very arrogant, now after all these years of being cheap and not doing a thing about that shocking court, and now finally after 15 years they get knocked back by NBL and FIBA (wow why did it take this long?) they are now going to start renovations? Sorry, nup, you're done - seeya cheapskates!

Reply #698263 | Report this post

ME  
Years ago

Only thing i liked about the place was the camera angle and the rings. I felt like the cameras did a good job of capturing the action but those floors were just not worthy of a professional basketball league.

Now we really have to change the look of Cairns Convention Center, because that's another eyesore for TV. Personally I wouldn't want to see Cairns at home on FTA.

Reply #698267 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Really? I don't have an issue with Cairns' court/venue.

Reply #698268 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Years ago

Good to hear NSEC did look pretty bad on TV and conversely Spark Arena is probably the best looking court on TV.

Reply #698273 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

There will be a lot of bodies that will be happy to see the back of that floor

Reply #698281 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Great news. The NSEC looked like crap.

Reply #698308 | Report this post

MACDUB  
Years ago

I remember how slippery the NSEC used to get. Humid summers in AKL and that darkened court used to turn into an ice rink.

Reply #698683 | Report this post

AD  
Years ago

They've been playing games at Vector/Spark for several years.
How many were still played at North Shore?
Its a piddly venue, I would have thought their membership would have outgrown it?

Reply #698740 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Recently they played four per year still at NSEC. Good riddance to it finally!

Reply #698750 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Although NSEC is the spiritual home of the Breakers (close to Atlas Place, near some major basketball high school powerhouses), the writing was on the wall with the new ownership. They're going to need to increase fan attendance to make Spark Arena viable as the full-time venue going forward.

Reply #699247 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

They are playing the same number of games at Spark this season as they have in the past two. Only difference is the other four ex-NSEC games will be taken to other parts of the country.

Reply #699274 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 10:11 am, Sat 20 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754