Matt
Years ago

Wildcats sign Terrico White to complete roster!

Terrico White named as final roster spot for the Wildcats!

Topic #43672 | Report this topic

!  
Years ago

!!!

Reply #698335 | Report this post

Matt  
Years ago

http://www.wildcats.com.au/news/article/38670-wildcats-complete-roster-signing-terrico-white

!!!

Reply #698336 | Report this post

Andrew  
Years ago

28 yrs old.... so much for looking at a younger player.

So this is the final squad:

Martin / Norton
*Cotton / Steindl
*White / Hire
Kay / Wagstaff / Vague
Brandt / Jervis

Reply #698338 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

sounds cheap

Reply #698339 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

'Cats are cheap now. Even though fans still pay a premium.

Reply #698340 | Report this post

alexkrad  
Years ago

Looks good except he will need to play alot of minutes at the SF which it doesn't seem like his natural position?

Reply #698341 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Cooke Jr style budget import

Reply #698342 | Report this post

D2  
Years ago

In the 2017-18 season, White played with Seoul SK Knights of the Korean Basketball League (KBL). With Seoul, he won the KBL championship while being named Playoffs MVP

Slightly weird signing, not the youth we ere expecting, and not really a SF, but he is the "Wing" player Gleeson has been chasing for a while.

He will certainly add to our perimeter game.

Reply #698343 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Korean league though.

Reply #698346 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

He has played in a lot of professional leagues. This is a stronger pick than last years Tokoto or even Prather when he first came out. You have a player who has plied his trade in professional competitions so will have actual battle hardened game experience under his belt.

I like the sound of this guy and actually looks like cats going experience route which I prefer over the fresh colleague guy who is more of a lotto.

Reply #698347 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

after watching some video he seems a lot more like a 2 than a 3. I don't think that fits the cats needs even if he is good.

Reply #698348 | Report this post

LoveBroker  
Years ago

Whoever suggested Jakob Wiley will be the first import axed may wish to reserve that judgement.

Reply #698349 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

There isn't really much of a difference between the 2 and 3 spot anyway. Cats need an outside shooter, someone who can get to the rim, and a defender. They got all that.

Reply #698350 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

This signing was either going to elevate the Wildcats to contenders or leave them as a team that might make the playoffs but definitely not win a title. They have chosen the latter option.

Reply #698351 | Report this post

anon  
Years ago

looks to be able to hit a 3 so should be what the cats need to spread the floor and get cotton a few inches to work in

a solid looking player physically, but defintiely more in his prime rather than a youth.

interstingly enough, when you watch his highlights there is a few of him with Cooke Jnr.

From the same bargain bin maybe?

Although, I am happy they have gone for a little experience so hopefully he hits the ground running.

with a 3rd import slot up their sleeves, maybe they are hoping to get through half a season then pull the trigger on an expensive import a la Cotton 2 seasons back to give them the edge come playoffs?

Reply #698352 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Wow that wildcats squad looks shit. Going to regret not bringing in a 3rd import and signing hire. No chance that squad can complete with United and Sydney.

Reply #698356 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

Quality player, strong and athletic and plays both ends. If Steindl rediscovers his stroke this squad looks good - a number of big guys who set good picks opening up some guys who can genuinely score, plus quality at the defensive end as per usual.

Reply #698358 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Playing with Conger in TBT right now too for armored athlete.

Should be 3pt city for him and cotton. I like it

Reply #698360 | Report this post

D2  
Years ago

Hard to judge exactly, but I think its fair to say he's a ways off Prather quality.

He looks like he would be a great signing, as a bench player, if they were still going for a Prather-type as starting SF.

I watched some of his Korean "highlights," they were rubbish, not sure how he'll handle the size and physicality of the NBL.

I keep hearing about this new trend of basketball, to have three guards and two forwards, but that seems to be based on NBA criteria where guys like Prather would be classified as guards.

I can't see this guy cutting it as a starting SF in the NBL.

Norton and Kay better be shit-hot, because it seems we've blown the budget on locals.

Reply #698375 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

"I watched some of his Korean "highlights," they were rubbish, not sure how he'll handle the size and physicality of the NBL."

This guy is a physical beast! He's played in G-League (averaged 20ppg at 49% his last season there), VTB United, Adriatic and Israel, was a quality player for the USA at the U19 WCs too.

The fact he was playing in Korea doesn't mean he can't play, it probably means he was offered a lot of money to play there. That's where former NBL MVP Chris Williams played quite a bit of basketball.

Reply #698377 | Report this post

Hogwash  
Years ago

I take two positives from this signing, he can shoot the three well and Perth still have the luxury of another import position to use later in season.

Reply #698380 | Report this post

proud  
Years ago

I'm not convinced and really hope that Steindl can play well this season as that could make this guy a spark off the bench/or starter but it feels like we have quite a few ball handlers this season.... I'm intrigued

Reply #698383 | Report this post

Very Old  
Years ago

Finally Gleeson having finally gotten a chance to get out from under the cloud of living on the "legacy of the team that Rob Beveridge built" will show what he can really do in recruiting and coaching his own team.

Stendl, Kay and Norton will absolutely thrive under him and all will be glory in in the west.

:) ..... maybe...

Reply #698391 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Hard to judge, but I'm going to emphatically judge him and then say it's pretty clear this judgement is right, according to an anon above.

Reply #698392 | Report this post

D2  
Years ago

Paul,
I don't see anything negative in his playing in Korea. Only his highlights were him dominating against smaller and weaker opponents, so I take no positives from them either.

I'm not sure how he goes starting at SF?
I guess the upside is that if he can handle the inside work and defensive pressure, then his outside game is going to provide us with a big lift, because that is impressive.

Reply #698394 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Very Old now we will see what Gleeson can do.

Reply #698399 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

There seems to be a weird vibe import wise all around the league this year. Shorter to Korea, Casey to Russia, Melbourne yet to sign anyone...is there a chance the league was a little over exposed last year?

2 way G League contracts haven't helped, but there just doesn’t seem to be the same buzz in 18-19.

Reply #698406 | Report this post

J  
Years ago

Terrico white: 6'5 with a 6'9 wingspan and standing reach of 8'5.

Casey prather: 6'6 (in cm I've seen 2cm difference) wingspan 6'9.25 and standing reach 8'4

White may be slower, can't tell but i am not convinced size will be an issue.

Let's not forget that one on one tokoto was a turnstile at times on defence despite his length and athleticism, always chasing the highlight.

White can shoot, perth need spacing.

Reply #698409 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Yikes at some of the opinions in here. Paul the voice of reason as usual. This guy is exactly what the doctor ordered in Perth and will be a top import.

Reply #698413 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Let's address some of the criticisms in this thread:

1) he's too old. Yes he's older than someone straight out of college. But 28 is not old, in fact you'd probably be in your basketball prime. The positive of age is experience and he's an experienced overseas player. The disadvantage is that he might be in decline / washed up. Let's address that later in this post.

2) he's too short / not a small forward. He's 6'5, strongly built, has a big leap and a good 6'9 wingspan. He should be fine defending NBL 3 men. As others have noted, teams are moving towards playing more "positionless" these days that you're seeing 1s defend 2s and 2s defending 3s. No big drama here.

3) he played in Korea last season.
I don't profess to be an expert on the Korean league but it appears to be weaker than the NBL. However, he was on the champion team and the finals MVP averaging 25/6/5. Even if you were to discount his numbers they would still look good. Also, before he was in Korea he played in the D-league and put up very good numbers. I don't think he's washed up.

He can clearly shoot the ball and importantly both as a catch and shoot guy and as someone who can create off the dribble. Two massive needs for the cats (shooting and shot creation off the dribble) that he helps address.

He appears to be unselfish from the vision I've seen. Decent playmaker. From the highlight reels we can't tell what his defence is like but a minimum he has the tools to defend. Gleeson isn't normally recruiting a guy who can't defend.

I'm not sure what the complaints are about here.

Reply #698414 | Report this post

Nathan of Perth  
Years ago

"Old" is a crazy thing to complain about. For an overseas player, hell, you may as well get some of his prime playing years. You aren't really going to benefit from training a younger player, are you?

Reply #698415 | Report this post

AD  
Years ago

I don't think he's too old, its just surprising given Gleeson said he was looking at youth.

Reply #698416 | Report this post

Captain Jack  
Years ago

https://basketball.realgm.com/player/Terrico-White/Summary/2280

https://basketball.realgm.com/player/Mitchell-Creek/Summary/24715

He is basically the same size as Mitch Creek,

Resume stacks up really well to Mitch Creeks,

Creek was an elite SF in NBL last season

28 years of age is typically around your prime of your career.

I expect White to be really good.

Reply #698419 | Report this post

Thunder Jam  
Years ago

Thanks for the laughs re Steindl thriving under Gleeson.

Reply #698429 | Report this post

Hogwash  
Years ago

Unless you're guaranteed a star out of college eg Ennis signing an import with experience is a wise move.

Conger is also 28, I imagine the reaction would've been different if Perth signed him.

Reply #698433 | Report this post

Anony  
Years ago

Whoa Hogwash calm down, you can't use reason and logic in this forum.

Reply #698436 | Report this post

Train  
Years ago

The big plus here for Perth is that there is another massive perimeter threat which means teams can't harass Cotton on the perimeter like last year. I can’t wait to see how this team runs.

Reply #698441 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 9:49 pm, Thu 25 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754