https://twitter.com/mattlogue7/status/1022774064316739585?s=21

Topic #43674 | Report this topic

Train  
Years ago

*opts out

Reply #698376 | Report this post

Train  
Years ago

Reading the tweet again, he has not just opted out, he's activated his NBA our clause.

Reply #698378 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Yep it's happening, Xavier Cooks to Warburg.

Reply #698379 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Olgun Uluc reporting Brooklyn Nets contract in the works

Reply #698381 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Wow. Nice.

Reply #698382 | Report this post

joshuapending  
Years ago

Hopefully he gets a good look in. Always worry euro or nba would fall through and he might come back and we miss out on him. Good thing with the nets is he may get the chance to have a bit of court time.

Reply #698384 | Report this post

John  
Years ago

yeh, ive heard Brooklyn too

Reply #698385 | Report this post

Cat's 4 life  
Years ago

Good on him, dominated last season. Deserves the chance at least.

Reply #698387 | Report this post

Young Gun  
Years ago

Good on him.. I keep hearing good things about the Brooklyn organisation and coaching staff. Like someone else said, he has a better chance for playing time there.

Reply #698388 | Report this post

Melbourne Boy  
Years ago

It it works out it's a very good situation to land in. The Nets have one of the best sports science and player development setups in the league, crazy $$$ spent even for NBA standards. If he's ever going to learn to shoot the 3 it's there.

Reply #698390 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Reply #698417 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Looking like a certain GLeague spot with NBA potential from there. Its a start.

Reply #698418 | Report this post

Thunder Jam  
Years ago

Waste of time earning peanuts in the G league,needs to be a two way deal surely.

Reply #698426 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Boomers Asst Coach Will Weaver is the Long Island Nets Head Coach so he's clearly a fan of Mitch’s game. Great situation for him to be in.

Reply #698427 | Report this post

Melbourne Boy  
Years ago

G-League salaries are now $7000 USD per month, which is about $9500 AUD. Yes it's less than what he'd earn in the NBL but it's not as horrible now. I think that's more than enough $$$ for him to live comfortably whilst chasing his goal and also utilizing the Brooklyn resources. If he wanted to get that level of sports science and training in an off season himself how much would that have cost on his own.

Reply #698430 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

Sounding like a non-guaranteed contract with the Nets. A two-way would be better, but the reality is if he's impressing them enough in G-League he can get a call-up on a 10-day contract anyway. Good luck to him!

Reply #698434 | Report this post

Anon  
Years ago

Not quite the nba contract the Aussie news sources will have you believe, but it's getting his foot in the door and hopefully he will get the call up. His work ethic and attitude should help big time. I’m glad it’s the nets as he has the best chance of getting a game or 5 in the nba. Sixers wouldn’t have given him that chance.

Reply #698440 | Report this post

Hogwash  
Years ago

A step back for him financially with the opportunity to take two steps forward if he works at it.
Brooklyn appears to be the best chance or him to succeed.

Reply #698443 | Report this post

Aussiebballer  
Years ago

The $7000 is for each month of the season, so $35,000.
Hopefully he shows enough in training camp to get a contract or a two-way deal.

Reply #698444 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

That salary will barely cover his rent in Brooklyn.

Reply #698447 | Report this post

Melbourne Boy  
Years ago

Housing is included in the G-League contract separate from the $7k. There are also bonuses for players like Creek who do the NBA training camp then get assigned to the G-League affiliate where they can earn more.

So he basically gets minimum $1700 USD per week, and won't have to pay for accommodation and most of his food, Brooklyn has their own chefs at the facility that prepare all the players specific meals.

Reply #698449 | Report this post

anon  
Years ago

In Boti's article:

"The 36ers believe they are entitled to compensation from the Nets - call it a clearance fee or a transfer fee – and once that issue is resolved"

Really?? For an uncontracted player?? Wow.

Reply #698474 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Years ago

The 36ers believe they are entitled to compensation from the Nets - call it a clearance fee or a transfer fee - and once that issue is resolved

Yeah but Dome Rat told us that Creek was never under contract with the 36ers so...

Reply #698476 | Report this post

Hogwash  
Years ago

Entitled to compensation! Haha WTF.

Reply #698482 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Good Luck to him, but I wish all the Adelaide fanboys would stop jitzing everywhere as though he has any actual chance of playing in the NBA.

If he's lucky, he'll get a G-League contract. Big whoop.
For all those yanks with nothing better to do, G-League beats flipping burgers, but you'd have to be on drugs to turn down an actual professional contract.

You don't see guys like Prather playing G-League when they've been offered actual European contracts.

Reply #698508 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"You don't see guys like Prather playing G-League when they've been offered actual European contracts."

Actually, lot's of guys like Prather spend a year or two (and sometimes more) playing G-League in the hope of landing an NBA gig.

Reply #698539 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

NBL through Liam Santamaria reporting it is an NBA minimum salary deal, so making big $$ by Aus standards. His contract can apparently be converted to a 2-way contract.

http://www.nbl.com.au/news/article/43075-brooklyn-nets-sign-mitch-creek

Link

Reply #698540 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

All the n00bs without fact checking assumed it was a standard D League contract. facepalm

Reply #698541 | Report this post

Train  
Years ago

Are the 36ers seriously chasing compensation money from Nets for Creek lol how the hell does that work.

Reply #698542 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

They're called transfer fees. Completely standard.

But was he under contract is the question.

Reply #698543 | Report this post

Train  
Years ago

I don't think he was contracted, I could be wrong but didn’t he have a player option which he didn’t take up.

Reply #698547 | Report this post

Hogwash  
Years ago

If anyone is entitled to compensation wouldn't his German team that he just opted out of be that team?
I could be wrong.

Reply #698549 | Report this post

Aussiebballer  
Years ago

If they are saying it can be converted to a two-way deal then it would be a training camp deal with a very small amount guaranteed, say $30k.
If they don't want him on the NBA team they can convert it to a two-way deal, which will guarantee him about $40k.
Then he can be called up to the NBA team for training or games to a max of 45 days, which pays him about $5k a day.
So he could earn about $250k as a two way player or just $40k if he gets cut during training camp.
Or about $700k if he earns a full NBA minimum deal for the entire season.

Reply #698552 | Report this post

joshuapending  
Years ago

Why is everyone so hooked on how much he is getting paid? Who cares, he wants the opportunity to try and impress. He has enough cash to have a lean year or two if that's what it takes. The cash is irrelevant. Just be happy for him. Side note the sixers are looking like fools here as well. They have not even said congratulations if I'm not mistaken. They seem to be burning this bridge for some reason it things don't work out and he wants to come back.

Reply #698573 | Report this post

PeterJohn  
Years ago

Train - this article gives a little bit more detail but doesn;t fully resolve your point:

https://pickandroll.com.au/adelaide-36ers-seeking-compensation-brooklyn-nets-mitch-creek/

Relevant quotes:

"Mitch Creek was in the final year of his contract to Adelaide, which would have expired after the NBL's 2018/19 season. Clearance had also not been completed, which binds him to the 36ers for now. The club confirmed it would not hold Creek back from his NBA commitment, but are exploring ... what they are entitled to"

Quotes Grant Kelley (36ers' CEO) as saying - "We are doing our due diligence by working through the detail of the move to determine if our club is entitled to any appropriate transfer fee."

Reply #698614 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Are they hypersensitive after messing up Ferguson's clearance?

Reply #698671 | Report this post

Hendo8888  
Years ago

If this in any way affects Creek's chance of landing that last spot on the team, or the 2 way contract, it's a pretty rough move by the club.

Reply #698687 | Report this post

Anon  
Years ago

This from the 'nets daily' Brooklyn nets fan site....
Interesting article about Creek, and how he will fit.

https://www.netsdaily.com/2018/7/28/17626284/moment-mitch-creek-and-how-he-could-help-the-nets

Reply #698689 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Are they hypersensitive after messing up Ferguson's clearance?

This is what I am putting my money on. Classic Sixers administration.

Reply #698715 | Report this post

Reality  
Years ago

Its $100K if the club are entitled to it why would they waive it?

If it was your own money no way you'd waive it regardless of the opportunity for Creek.

No doubt everyone wants him to go over and do well but thats a nice chunk of change!

Reply #698725 | Report this post

LoveBroker  
Years ago

$100k is a lot of money in a league where losing money happens more often than making a profit.

If the Sixers are entitled to some sort of fee, then I want them to be able to claim it.

I know nothing about transfer fees, if Brooklyn have to pay the Sixers and I understand Creek was out of contract after not exercising his option, how does it work when we want an import thats just finished up with another team / league?

I don't remember us paying anything for Randle or Shorter.

I want the Sixers to get the money but I would be torn if Brooklyn told Creek the deal is off because his clearance would be too costly for a fringe contract. If it comes to that I hope the Sixers would wave their fee rather than Sixers lose and Creek loses, remembering he has already opted out of his German contract.

Reply #698739 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

He wont make for 2 reasons.

1. He cant shoot 3s.

2. He actually plays defense. If you play defense, you are frowned upon. By playing defense, you reduce the chances of the opposition of scoring. The NBA is not a sport. They alter the rules to make it more entertaining meaning higher scores, higher TV ratings, more money coming in from TV ratings and therefore bigger salaries.

Reply #698770 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

What complete rubbish.

Reply #698771 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"All the n00bs without fact checking assumed it was a standard D League contract. facepalm"

ROFL

Once again all the fan-boys whacking off so hard they can't read more than one line of text.

It's not a "NBA contract at minimum salary." As clearly stated that is only a possible outcome. It's also possible they'll offer him $100M over 3 years, and that his dick will grow 3 inches overnight.

Other possible outcomes include a 2-way, and (most likely) a G-League contract.

Why do people care? Because there's a world of difference between them.
The NBA is the pre-eminent league in the world, and even thou many aspirants would just be thrilled to play, it does pay rather well also.

In contrast, the G-Laegue is nowhere. Yes there are fringe NBA players, guys with NBA contracts, those on 2-ways, and those who pick up 10-day contracts. The rest is made up of scrubbers and suckers.

Clearly there are players on the way up, and we've seen a few here as imports, guys who go back to G-League, put in the hard yards, pick up a couple of 10-day contracts, impress, stick around, and then land their dream of actual NBA contracts.
Anybody who seriously thinks Creek is in that category should stop smoking weed and immediately seek psychiatric help.

FFS even NBL teams have training players, and that's all Creek is to them.

Simple fact, that Adelaide fans can't admit to, is that Creek just isn't that good. There are better players than him in the NBL, and dozens of better players in Europe, none of whom will get an NBA gig.

Reply #698773 | Report this post

Woody  
Years ago

Shubbaz Mohamed is a decent player comp for what Creek could do in theNBA

Reply #698774 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"It's not a "NBA contract at minimum salary"."

It is actually, it's just not guaranteed.

Reply #698782 | Report this post

Melbourne Boy  
Years ago

Shabbaz Muhammad is a horrible comparison to Creek!
They are similar size but that's it, Muhammad is a natural streaky scorer who struggles with defensive concepts and who's effort levels are questioned, literally the opposite strengths/weaknesses to Creek.

Reply #698784 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Heard it was a two-way at worst.

He actually plays defense. If you play defense, you are frowned upon.
This is up there for most ridiculous thing ever said on Hoops.

Reply #698823 | Report this post

UseTaHoop  
Years ago

Isaac

I read the whole anon post. Then I put my tinfoil hat on and re-read it. It all made sense then.

I think a bit of hyperbole can add to the entertainment value of posts.

Reply #698901 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 4:40 pm, Fri 19 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754