Jake
Years ago

Salaries of Australian Basketball Leagues

Hi, Not sure if I've entered this in the right area as i'm new to this site.

I'm trying to do some research on basketball leagues in Australia that give their players salaries as an import player.

Can you make enough money to live on playing in the BIG V, QBL, SBL, SEABL, Premier league and Warrath league.

It appears there is several imports with basketball agents on the eurobasket website under the roster of the teams in these leagues. But i am unsure as to whether or not they get paid to play.

Thanks any help would be much appreciated

Topic #43676 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

All import players get paid.

Reply #698398 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

There is a rule for import players under the Government Immigration Act ensuring that these players get a minimum salary. Of course it can be more than the minimum and in many cases would include a car and accommodation.

Reply #698404 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Imports can earn $20k to $40k, plus the club will provide accommodation & a vehicle. Yes, you can survive, but you won' t be living like a king.

Reply #698405 | Report this post

Duke Fan  
Years ago

Waratah= beer money

Reply #698439 | Report this post

Dave Q  
Years ago

I wouldn't be surprised if it was a $400 win / $150 loss sort of arrangement. I have precisely zero direct knowledge however.

Reply #698451 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

People are full of shit
There is no such thing as a minimum salary under any immigration act.

Minimum wages are defined under their respective acts and regulations, but are largely irrelevant, since it would be difficult to establish work hours.

I don't know what the minimum salaries are in these various leagues, or even if they all have one. However if you consider that the Total Salary Cap, for Players and Coaches in the SBL is around $60k, you can understand that nobody is earning a living.

When the salary cap applied only to players, it used to be quite common to see imports hired as playing coaches. Then they close that loophole, so we started to see coaches employed as staff members (eg "Junior Development Manager" etc). Not sure if they closed that one.

I don't know if it is a wide-spread practice, but I have seen a few imports helped into real jobs, including working for local councils, or rec centres associated with the teams.

Basically these guys are basketball holidays.

I've known a few guys who have spent summers in England [laying Cricket on a similar basis.

Probably a different story in the SEABL.

Reply #698484 | Report this post

Lincoln  
Years ago

Imports have to be on a Visa, to be allowed to play.
Some get paid very well, others get paid enough to cover flights.
It all depends on the Visa status. Some imports are employed as development officers, schools officers, cleaners etc etc

Reply #698688 | Report this post

Melbourne Boy  
Years ago

There is a FIBA minimum when the player is brought out on a sports visa, most SEABL imports are on those, majority of the 2nd tier leagues imports are on a working holiday visa where it can be anything.

Reply #698690 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

What is the salary for a local in these leagues, I've heard rumors of $300 - $500 for the top players a game not sure if it is true or not

Reply #712676 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Any idea on what the salaries will look like for the new Super V competition in Victoria replacing SEABL, I'm hearing it's lower entry costs than SEABL which might equate to more money towards players or just more savings for the teams

Reply #712677 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Fringe NBL guy in QBL or SEABL might be up to $1k per game I'd say. WA might have a couple of guys on that. Top guys in SA, Big V & Waratah maybe $500 a game tops.

Reply #712683 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 1:11 am, Fri 29 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754