season is over

Reply #698469 | Report this post

LITS  
Years ago

NBL needs to fix this lack of salary cap issue

Reply #698470 | Report this post

Smith  
Years ago

Looks like the league is going to spend up BIG this season on marketing.

Reply #698471 | Report this post

Hogwash  
Years ago

They would be stacked but also old and injury prone with Bogut approaching 34, Randle 31, Lisch 32, Newley 33, Kickert 35 and Childress 35.

Reply #698472 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Still even odds at $3.60 with Melbourne

Reply #698473 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Big.

Reply #698475 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Years ago

If this is true I would be pretty disappointed in Childress.

Reply #698477 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Not happening. Boti off the mark on this one.

Reply #698478 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Years ago

So their starting 5 would be:

Randle
Lisch
Newley
Childress
Bogut

season is over

With Kickert and an import David Wear off the bench. This honestly can't be legit we thought Melbourne were taking the piss adding Prather to an already stacked team but this is a whole level again.

Why even bother playing the season?

Reply #698480 | Report this post

AD  
Years ago

If he starts, I would imagine it would be at the SF,
But possibly been brought in as a bench option.

And WTF is it with Sydney and old men?

Why sign more old men in case your starting old men get injured?

Even if they make it that far, can you imagine this lot competing in a 5-game series?

Reply #698481 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Whatever AD says ignore.

Reply #698483 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"If this is true I would be pretty disappointed in Childress."

How come? He was originally a King so it would be a nice homecoming for him.

Reply #698485 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I guess Childress wants a championship

Reply #698488 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Years ago

How come? He was originally a King so it would be a nice homecoming for him.

That's true but we came within one game of the championship last season and if he wasn't out injured likely would've won it. You would think with Creek not coming back and Chill slightly under-performing relative to the money he was supposedly on he might be champing at the bit to come back 'prove' himself still a gun player and try and get the team over the line this season.

The Kings are already stacked and he has to know he would be playing a minor role on that team and were the favourites for the title before he even got there.

Reply #698489 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"Whatever AD says ignore."

Boti is nearly in that category as well

Reply #698491 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

True, but he is 35 now and as last season shows, the body still struggles to get through the full season unscathed. Playing a smaller role for a winning team would be enticing at this point, you would've thought.

Reply #698492 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Wants a championship by the sounds of things.

Reply #698493 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Not true. Chill isn't going to the Kings.

Reply #698494 | Report this post

Hogwash  
Years ago

Should have a "?" on topic title until confirmed.
I'm waiting to see Melbourne imports before jumping on Sydney for title favoritism.

Reply #698496 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

What is Boti track record at player signing and romours

Reply #698497 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Hahahha, Kings lol. I like it how this page always claims the Kings will dominate and they are always trash, they always will be.

Reply #698499 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

He works out with Randal with Jlaw, so maybe there's been some influence there...

Reply #698500 | Report this post

AD  
Years ago

"Whatever AD says ignore"

You do realise I chose my username as an homage to posters such as yourself.

The A is for Anonymous.
You can guess what the D is for

Reply #698504 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The D is for Dazz - i.e. you, actually.

Reply #698505 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

DICK

Reply #698522 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

DWEEB

Reply #698525 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

DuffuSS

Reply #698526 | Report this post

Hogwash  
Years ago

What is the deal with D2 and D2.0?

Reply #698528 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Dazz clones from the tone of the posts.

Reply #698530 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

"Whatever AD says ignore"

You do realise I chose my username as an homage to posters such as yourself.

The A is for Anonymous.
You can guess what the D is for
I always assumed it stood for Another Dazz, because D2.0 and D2 both got rumbled so quickly you'd decided you needed more subtlety, but still couldn't quite manage to actually come up with anything new.

Reply #698551 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

AD is alright by me. There will always be haters

Reply #698554 | Report this post

Udog  
Years ago

Off-season is just like the european soccer teams these days. Top couple of teams spend shit loads to buy their success.

Reply #698555 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

And fail.

Reply #698556 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

yeh like united last season when they tried to buy the championship and we all saw how that worked out for them

Reply #698557 | Report this post

LV  
Years ago

If Childress does sign then yes, Sydney are massively stacked.

But, they've also signed yet another guy who's on the wrong side of 30 and with recent major injuries.

If this team gets through the season healthy and unscathed then it'd be surprising.

Reply #698563 | Report this post

WookieE  
Years ago

What's Boti's current strike rate with calls on which players are going where?

Very mixed feelings with this if true... Would love to see Chill back in Sydney, have always said that it was the heavy load of having the carry the team and play max minutes that wore him down initially, but seriously... If he DOES sign, Sydney are REALLY taking the piss now... Like REALLY REALLY...

It would otherwise be a good move to have him splitting minutes with Newls and wouldn't be a let up at any stage of the game at that spot, getting the most of two older players... Watching Chill last week in the Big3, he's still got it, multiple blocks and a nice dunk... Outside of the context of having such a stacked team, he would definitely be a big asset, but jeez...

Reply #698576 | Report this post

ASternWarning  
Years ago

I love Boti, but this isn't happening. So everyone can cut the "WTF SYDNEY = GSW!!!" now and go back to hating Sydney for other reasons.

Reply #698579 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

How could they not be over the salary cap?! It also seems quite greedy. WTF.

Reply #698586 | Report this post

Udog  
Years ago

What salary cap?

Might as well rename the NBL the Melbourne & Sydney show.

Reply #698592 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Melbourne haven't even got there imports yet, so have spent not much, Perth and nz have spent more than all except Sydney.

Reply #698593 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Boti has a 100% strike rate, if you only count the rumours that he gets right where he writes another article showing off about it.

Reply #698596 | Report this post

Duke Fan  
Years ago

If true would be the greatest starting 5 since the Kings last greatest starting 5....and we all saw how that went

Reply #698597 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The more they build themselves the harder the fall.

Remember kids - it's the way it shatters that matters! ;)

Reply #698608 | Report this post

Curtley  
Years ago

This rumour has been quashed in a sydney paper. Does Boti literally just make stuff up?

Reply #698611 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"Boti has a 100% strike rate, if you only count the rumours that he gets right where he writes another article showing off about it."

hahaha true true. maybe he wouldnt be so extra about getting one right if it wasnt so rare.

Reply #698612 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

What did the sydney paper say? Can't find anything online.

Reply #698616 | Report this post

Curtley  
Years ago

It was tiny article in the print version. Basically said Childress wanted to go the Kings but that Kings are intent on only 2 imports.

Reply #698628 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Good news for the rest of the league then! I guess we will see what happens!

Reply #698650 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

You know it's not legit news when the thread isn't deleted. ;)

Reply #698651 | Report this post

FM  
Years ago

Randle training with Childress in LA. Put that and the photos coming out about sydney getting started for the season.

Sees a training video of Randle with Childress playing D. Jumps the gun

Reply #698657 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Makes sense, great explanation.

Reply #698662 | Report this post

proud  
Years ago

I have no issue with Childress returning home (he's never felt like a 36er to me) and atleast he goes to them with a little bit of help now.

My issue is simply that when Sydney come to Perth it's already mid season so our perspective of how the season is going will be vastly different to now, they'll either be as dominant as others are fearful of being, full of injuries or Gaze will be hearing how his job is on the line almost every day... would have been nice to have them early

Reply #698664 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I still don't get why they would add another mid 30s guy to their lineup and stack it up like that. And is there no salary cap? I'm lost. Doesn't he ask for a packet? Rumour has it that Adelaide offered him a contract which he said wasn't enough, so one would assume he wouldn't be taking a pay cut in Sydney.

Provided any of this is even true, of course.

Reply #698672 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Boti's comment was "36ers fans who will lament the loss of Childress, now strongly expected to be a surprise final piece of the Sydney Kings 2018-19 puzzle."

I heard it was on the cards too, but not sealed.

Has he claimed it's a done deal anywhere else?

Reply #698673 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

No, there isn't a hard salary cap anymore, and there is serious doubt the soft cap is even enforced.

Reply #698674 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Boti said Xavier Cooks was signing with the Hawks.

He also said Tom Wilson was gonna play AFL. Now this.

The dude just guesses nowadays.

Reply #698686 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Its not just rumours of signings. He has a history of inventing scenarios that tell a good story but are often baseless.

Thats the problem with "inside info" guys. They know they need to keep providing that gossip to keep the page hits up, even if that means making stuff up. Its no different to Daniel Eade or curious from Ozhoops. They thrive off the attention and will say whatever they want to need to the attention coming.

Reply #698692 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Boti is washed up. Used to be the man when it came to NBL news now he is salty Olgun is the new Aussie Woj so he just makes up shit

Reply #698695 | Report this post

KB  
Years ago

Olgun has one agent contact in the NBL. If a player isn't attached to that agent he has little going on. His housemate used to play for the Kings so he had the inside word on that team for a bit.

Reply #698697 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

and yet he is still by far the most accurate source for NBL breaking news these days. hope the league continues to stay strong and hopefully the media situation will improve too.

Reply #698699 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

@SydneyKings coach Andrew Gaze says the team will not fill their third import spot & will search for a 3/4 Aussie to fill the role. Maybe Kendall Stephens lands here?
Perhaps they considered Childress in some way but changed their minds or price wasn't right.

Reply #698701 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Where did you find that info?
It's gotta be tough for pro ballers after 33 unless they're willing to drop their asking price. Where do they mostly end up?

Reply #698703 | Report this post

Hogwash  
Years ago

Sydney will need that spare import available for the inevitable injury to one of their older core players.
Stephens makes sense particularly if you can get him as a local certainly much better than Von Hoffe

Reply #698706 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Olgun says they're looking at Bose.

Reply #698733 | Report this post

AD  
Years ago

"@SydneyKings coach Andrew Gaze says the team will not fill their third import spot & will search for a 3/4 Aussie to fill the role."

So they're going to sign an import PG?

Talk about "Damaging your Legacy" :-(

Gaze should have just stayed retired as the NBL GOAT, and taken up selling real-estate or something.

Instead he's going to be remembered as the worst coach in the NBL. The guy who still couldn't win with a multi-million dollar star-studded line-up.

Reply #698742 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Did Bose get rejected by Kazakhstan?

Reply #698748 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

You're probably right, teams like Sydney and Perth with some older guys might want to keep that third spot up their sleeve in case they get struck with injuries. Smart move.

Reply #698764 | Report this post

WookieE  
Years ago

Olgun says they're looking at Bose.

This would be pretty awesome... I'm also curious as to what happened over in Kazakhstan as he seemed pretty entrenched in there... Didn't he get hitched over there as well? Would be great to see him back in purple and gold after too short a stint the first time around...

Reply #698809 | Report this post

Hogwash  
Years ago

Kolesnikov (Bose) has played for Khazakstan so I assume he would be signed as an Asian player.

Reply #698812 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

There is no "Asian player" anymore.

Reply #698814 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

He's always had dual-citizenship hasn't he? Wouldn't be eligible to play for Australia, but should count as a local. His career did not exactly explode over in Kazakhstan - looks like he took a year off, returned last season for BC Astana and averaged 2 ppg in 11 mins, shooting 0% from 3 and under .500 from the stripe.

Reply #698816 | Report this post

Hogwash  
Years ago

Cheers Kober.

Reply #698817 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

He never recovered from The Croc shooting him with an air cannon.

Reply #698818 | Report this post

PeterJohn  
Years ago

Koberulz - have they dropped the Asian player rule from last season? i.e., one player from an Asian country deemed to have a large potential audience for NBL treated as a non-restricted player.

Serious question.

Reply #698822 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Even if they haven't dropped the rule Kazakhstan isn't on the included countries list.

Reply #698849 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

Koberulz - have they dropped the Asian player rule from last season? i.e., one player from an Asian country deemed to have a large potential audience for NBL treated as a non-restricted player.
That's not the Asian player rule, that allowed all Asians to play. I'm not sure that it's confined to Asians, either.

Reply #698851 | Report this post

LoveBroker  
Years ago

It's not just Asian players / countries.

Its more like from the NBL's exempted list of countries of which Guam is no longer in, which lead to the Tai Wesley issue (now resolved).

Reply #698860 | Report this post

James Harvey fan  
Years ago

Bose was out here for at least one of the college v Sydney Kings invitational games last year. He looked terrible.

Reply #698862 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I think he got dumped by his club team (the one Kazakh team playing in the United League against other Russian and ex-Soviet teams) which went hand in hand with representing Kazakhstan national team. So no other options over there. Everything went pear shaped for him there it seems.

Reply #698865 | Report this post

AD  
Years ago

The original rule I think may have applied to Oceania only. That's the rule that allowed the Wildcats to sign Ross and U'U as locals.

IIRC it was changed around 2015 or 2016 to cover Oceania and Asia (as defined by FIBA, not by geography. So, for example, Lebanon is counted, but Turkey and Israel are treated as part of Europe.) But clubs were restricted

And yes, that is the rule under which Wesley played as a local.
Wesley continued to be covered as he was contracted when the rule was changed, but would have fallen foul when he came out of contract at the end of last season. Prompting the NBL to extend his coverage pending citizenship.

However that was changed for last season to be limited to specific countries. As mentioned, essentially those deemed by the NBL to be targets for developing cooperation. Last I heard those nations were: China, India, Japan, Singapore, South Korea, the Philippines and Taiwan.
I'm sure that the NBL would consider adding others, such as Indonesia, if there was legitimate interest, but part of the change was to stop wide-open exploitation.
I'm also not sure how this new rule applies to dual-citizens? Eg, it would be interesting to know if Stephen Holt qualifies?

Reply #698897 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 6:12 pm, Fri 29 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754