Anonymous
Years ago

Premier League: Rockets vs Eagles

Was at the game on Saturday night and what a game it was. North had the Eagles for nearly the whole game and if they had made some free throws or CJ had made a basket they would have eliminated the 36er led Eagles.
DJ and Teys both stepped up as would be expected in the final few minutes and overtime but it was North who gave them the game after such an amazing effort to own them.
Starling had Teys' number and Schild was admirable against DJ.
The Eagles now get a crack at West and North are done for 2018 but should hold their heads high after such an epic performance.
Hawkes should be proud. Not sure how Simons can even show his face to be honest.

Topic #43684 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

Been showing his face since 2013 which was the first time he did something similar!

Reply #698682 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Thoughts on Eagles v West next week? West might have the group to take them down.

Reply #698702 | Report this post

Anon  
Years ago

West missed Kubank big time.... came back from Sydney kings china tour with a toe injury.

Coach played vets to try and replace him, instead should have given young gun, Fabian johnson more minutes - he was very productive in his limited minutes -

Norwoods floor spacing and 3 point shooting killed west.

Can they push forestville - YES
Can they win - it'll be tight

Reply #698708 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Where is Fabian Johnson from? Wasn't at the game but his box score statistics show promise.

Reply #698719 | Report this post

Anon  
Years ago

Young indigenous player, shows great potential, made SA under 18 squad

Reply #698721 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

NT boy. Great potential.

North should have won. That's coming from an Eagles fan. 9/22 free throws the difference.

Reply #698726 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Hopefully he sticks around for them, they need the youth lol!

Really sad North couldn't pull it off - how long has the finals drought been now for them?

Reply #698727 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Fabian has been injured with ankle injury and that was his first game back for a while.

Reply #698728 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Norwood to start favourites vs Southern?

Reply #698735 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Saw this game, North were very impressive and should of won.

Reply #698737 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

No way, Southern are favourites over Norwood. Not a Southern fan but you can't disrespect the body of work they did this season. Going to be extremely interesting to see how these finals pan out. West in a lot of trouble this week. Hope Norwood can pull off an upset and f*ck Forestville!

Reply #698744 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Norwood handled Southern easily last time without Lycett from memory. Flakes favourites this Saturday. Forestville favourites for the title.

Reply #698753 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Southern lost Brine mid game due to an ankle and Norwood shot at 60+% in the first half and just hung on. With the game at Southern I'm not convinced that is will be all smooth sailing for Norwood.

Reply #698755 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Was only following live stats but from memory Norwood were handling Southern easily with Brine out there. I didn't know he got hurt I thought he was benched.

They handed West easily. Form side of the competition.

Reply #698759 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Didn't North account for Norwood reasonably easy several weeks ago. I am not sure they are necessarily the form side.

Reply #698760 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Has there ever been a side that the 9 other clubs want to lose so badly as this year's forestville men's team. I think the majority would rather see Southern take it out.

Reply #698776 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

^^ I think you are right. I also have heard that some clubs are reconsidering being associated with this club as part of Basketball Adelaide running the competition including district. They have demonstrated they will consistently find a way to bend the rules for their own benefit

Reply #698778 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

You whingers STILL going?

Reply #698781 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

No, everyone more than ever just hopes you lose

Reply #698785 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

That's a yes then

Reply #698786 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Actually I think the answer is no. Just because someone states that all other nine clubs are supporting the team playing the eagles doesn't mean they are whinging - just expressing their freedom to follow who they want. You need a session with Andy and co. to better understand the small print!

Reply #698787 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

most people want to see cheats defeated.

Reply #698797 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Most people don't get so upset over amateur basketball but you do you

Reply #698803 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Most people don't cheat @ amateur basketball

Reply #698807 | Report this post

Most people have ethics and believe in sportsmanship, particularly in "amateur" basketball.

Reply #698815 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

How'd they cheat again? Ask for something they were allowed to ask for and got it accepted? Damn what cheaters.

Reply #698819 | Report this post

Everyone knows what they did and BSA's pathetic enabling of their actions. Been going on in that culture and club for a very long time. By-Laws will once again need to be changed due to the Forestville cheats.

Reply #698821 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Shhhhh

Reply #698825 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The whole state wants you to lose more than they want Southern to lose! I think that explains everything.

Reply #698826 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

That's pretty sad. Only people whinging should be southern fans anyway as they were cruise through this season before DJ rocked up

Reply #698827 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Going to cruise through*

Reply #698828 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I think the broader basketball community understand the issue here. People are aware of the Forestville history and bought premierships. That is why Andy has never won and never will win a Coach of the Year award.

Reply #698843 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Nyberg hasn't either. Jealousy is a bitch

Reply #698891 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I'm not from Southern and trust me I am so not jealous

Reply #698924 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Nyberg never will either!

Reply #698927 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

In what world is the PL 'amateur'?

Reply #699131 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

In what world is the PL 'amateur'?

Reply #699132 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

In the real world.

Reply #699151 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Even sadder Forestville need to bring in a professional athlete to win an amateur competion. Pathetic club and pathetic people supporting the act.

Reply #699190 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Hahaha come on mate cheer up. I know it's tough living in Noarlunga but you don’t have to be like this

Reply #699194 | Report this post

Annoz  
Years ago

Wow, just when we thought this might be dead #190 calls out Forestville for bringing in a professional athlete. What the hell? So are other clubs paying non professional athletes? If an import comes here to play, then goes and gets paid to play somewhere in the off season i would suggest he's a professional too. I'm not sure on the definition of professional athlete but i guess it could be someone that gets paid to play a sport rather than getting paid to sit at a desk and type dribble in their lunch break.

Reply #699195 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I think the difference is that imports generally are with the team for the full year. Apart from playing this helps develop local talent by training with them. While money from the juniors is often used to run the PL teams this is money well spent with what else these people put back into the club.

DJ's circumstances are different and it is clear to everyone that they abused a flawed by-law system. Money being dragged away from their junior program (which is getting worse by the minute)with no payback to the whole club. BSA had an out but didn't have the intestinal fortitude to use it. They have an over-riding power to make any decision about the PL, even if contrary to the By-Laws, if the application of the by-law is deemed not to be in the best interests of basketball in the state. If ever there was an example to use that By-Law this is it.

Reply #699202 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Very well said.

Reply #699203 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

So it's not an amatuer competition then? Make up your mind!

Reply #699213 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Doesn't it seem like there is preferential treatment when a player can step on the court for 3 seconds to get a qualified game in and he doesn't even have basketball shoes on.

BSA BS their way through the system and only help those they want too. BSA will never voice why they let DJ play, but after last night it showed he's an elite player.

The problem is the GF will be Tigers vs Eagles - and majority doesn't want either of them to win cause they buy their teams.

The major question is will Dean bringing his "feral" crew to the GF cause the swearing those spectators verbalise especially in front of kids - now that sets the standard.

Reply #699483 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I know this is going to get shot down as some of the numbers may not be 100% but

if the question is about should NBL players be playing in the league, then there is probably a bigger question around the future direction of the league and restricted player rules however in not too distant memory elite NBL Aussie players playing include to name a few:
West has had: DJ, Jeff Dowdell, Jason Cadee
Eastern has had: Adam Gibson, Ben Madgen, Brad Hill, Aaron Bruce
Sturt has had: DJ
Southern: Creek, Drimic
South: DJ, Creek
etc.

if the question is around not providing room for juniors, then looking out Rd 18 box scores a quick guess (I don't know everyone so assume each team is off by 1 or 2) at the number of juniors (u18 or earlier) in the 12 for each team:
Eastern - 5
Woodville - 7
North - 5
Central - 7
South - 4
F/Ville - 7
Sturt - 10?
Norwood - 4
West - 6
Southern - 5

If the question is how many games should you need to qualify for finals, then comparison to other leagues:
SA Premier League 40% of minor round games, player needs to get on court or play ressies that week
SEABL 30% (from memory I couldn't find the by-laws) just needs to be suited up ready to play
Big V 40% just needs to be suited up ready to play
Waratah 40% just needs to be suited up ready to play
WA SBL 33% just needs to be suited up ready to play

minor point but there clearly is no criteria in place for the South American competition DJ went to as my understanding is he went there to just play in a relegation finals series?

if the issue is around should he have played less than a minute in specific games this was in attempt to avoid having to go down the medical exemption path and has happened numerous times in the past with a variety of clubs. Nobody has ever kicked up a fuss when this has previously happened, similar scenarios happen when clubs try to have guys play ressies but not start them but sub them in at the first chance. I can't be bothered to go down the path of going through individual webcasts play by plays to provide examples of when this has happened as it was accepted practice but most teams.

If the issue is around granting the medical exemption, only BSA know the reason but I seem to recall him having reported back issues towards the end of the NBL finals so it would not be unreasonable to need medical time off. No different to west's player who was also granted a medical exemption playing in an unrelated competition. the only questions I could foresee where it shouldn't have been granted is if he wasn't yet a registered player (which given he suited games early when he was injured would indicate this not to be the case) or he wasn't genuinely injured (which was clearly the case but feel free to ask the sixers physio/doctor)

Reply #699490 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Or wasn't in the country for the games he missed due to injury.

Reply #699491 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Since many don't think it’s all about winning, I suggest we:
Don’t score
No priership table -so take Premier out of the competition name
No trophy other than everyone gets a participation medal.
Or is it a competition?

Reply #699493 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 4:32 pm, Sat 20 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754