April 28th: Southern 92 def Norwood 70
July 7th: Norwood 95 def Southern 84

Predicted Starters
A Webber vs H Staude
D Webber vs S Johns
M Lycett vs B Brine
B McGriff vs CJ Turnage
L Standbridge vs G Mays

Norwood showed yet again they are dangerous on their night, easily accounting for West at Port Adelaide on Saturday. McGriff again proved a tough cover, scoring at will both inside and out. Lycett back playing 40 minutes balances their team out nicely. Last time they played Southern they handled business easily, with the final score flattering the Tigers. Southern had been the cream of the crop prior to that outting but haven't been the same since. Turnage vs McGriff a critical matchup as both have had big games in their teams wins against the other this season. Some great match ups in this one and I expect a full house down at Morphett Vale to support their Tigers. I think they'll be disappointed.

Norwood's veteran finals experience to get them an 8 point victory and send them to the GF.

Forestville vs West

March 17th: West 83 def Forestville 72
May 26th: West 92 def Forestville 85

A Doyle vs A Spadavecchia
B Teys vs J Legan
M Harris vs P Thomas
J Richard vs T Dowdell
D Johnson vs B Truslove

West underwhelmed last week in what was a disappointing performance while Forestville used their get out of jail free card while being under manned. I expect Forestville to finally be at full strength in this one, with Doyle to return and create a potent perimeter lineup. Not sure how Forestville will start for this but I think listed above is their best lineup. West bring Jordan West off the bench and Tom Kubank possibly back from his stint with the Sydney Kings. I expect plenty of cross matching in this one. West were flat last week and will have to be better to be competitive this week. I'm tipping even if they are, it won't be enough.

DJ to have 35, Forestville by 14.

Hopefully both venues are jam packed for these ones!

Topic #43704 | Report this topic

Hanging Round  
Years ago

Great write up again.
Can Norwood continue recent great form to take this one from Southern?

West played below normal standard last week so it may have been a timely 'wake up' call to motivate West into another Prelim and GF

Looks to be 2 great games

Reply #699241 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Legan to score 30

Reply #699254 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Who you got winning Hangin Round?

I got Tigers by 7, Forestville by 11.

My mail is all 6ers suiting for Forestville.

Reply #699261 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Your mail is wrong.

Reply #699264 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Who will miss?

Reply #699265 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Probably the bloke with the knee injury you'd think

Reply #699267 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

How about the one with the ankle injury?

Reply #699272 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

So who will miss for Forestville?

Reply #699273 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Doyle reportedly a week away

Reply #699280 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

West will get Forestville with Doyle out.

Reply #699299 | Report this post

Hanging Round  
Years ago

My tip is Tigers by 8
West by 6 (may be overtime)
And Power by 15 points with a late shower

Reply #699300 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I've heard that both Doyle and Kubank will miss this game.

Reply #699301 | Report this post

cat  
Years ago

DJ wants to be there-Forestville by 8

DJ mails in another performance- West by 8

Reply #699302 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

West can't play as bad again as they did against Norwood. Fired up with a hostile crowd it will be very difficult and intimidating for Forestville.

Reply #699304 | Report this post

Anon  
Years ago

Blake to go to DJ early - get under his skin.

Reply #699310 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Shut down Teys which they have the players to do it with (Kubank/Thomas), do a semi reasonable job on DJ and don't let the other starters get off. F'ville have no bench scoring whatsoever so matchup smart from the get go and West win. Easy.

Reply #699312 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Blake not athletic enough or fit enough to go a full 40 minutes.

Reply #699353 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

He doesn't he goes 15 mins a game these days.

Reply #699354 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Just push around DJ he goes to water

Reply #699411 | Report this post

Ingles13  
Years ago

DJ gonna have 35 on Blake

Reply #699418 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

West will give up as many fouls as they can to soften DJ up because he hates it physical. Once it's physical he concentrates on whinging to the refs. Look for a very high foul count against West. Maybe a few hard USF just to soften old DJ.

Reply #699424 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Good call on 35 for DJ - though he manned up on Dowdell the whole night.

Reply #699440 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

After aligning with Forestville to start Basketball Adelaide it is now an interesting dynamic Norwood v Forestville next round. Karma is an absolute b*tch isn't it

Reply #699441 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

not sure what that has to do with anything

Reply #699442 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

There is whispers that some clubs are having second thoughts about being able to work with Forestville as part of Basketball Adelaide

Reply #699444 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Are they shit clubs no one cares about anyway?

Reply #699445 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I've heard that too, 444. Although it was probably just from you on Hoops for the 50th time.

Keep beating that dead horse.

Reply #699447 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Finals recap

How lucky were tigers tonight?

West played a good season but proved that they were pretending all along.

Eagles are down right cheats! Rabble rabble rabble they took our geeeeebs!!!

McGriff is still the 3rd best import. After Rios and wise.

Starling has a good game this week.

Reply #699451 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I wish that North had hit those foul shots last week to knockout forestville.
But shows that teams with the biggest payrolls are only ones left.

Reply #699455 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Yeah the budget is why they missed their shots.

Reply #699456 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

North's budget >> Southern’s budget for sure.

Reply #699457 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Forestvilles budget for the men must be huge because they'd only want to be paying two of their women.

Reply #699459 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

#457 - Wrong!!!

Reply #699460 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Starling would be on more himself than any other club pays their whole team.

Reply #699464 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Worth every penny! They've made the finals twice since he’s been there!

Straight out each time. But that doesn’t matter

Reply #699466 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Just another f***wit.
Slander all you want but never have a crack at the girls from that club. Completely different situation to the men's team. Not looked after at all.
I might remind you that 6 of that team are U20, four of which are U18. Maybe one gets compensated -but still from the club juniors. How many imports at your club? So they’re not travelling too bad are they d**kh##d?
Please make yourself known next Saturday night at the girls game. Let’s see how brave you are.

Reply #699471 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Norths budget >than Southerns. Now that is funny.

Reply #699472 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Maybe you'd have some decent players to pay instead of having to recruit studs like Alana and Kelsey if you got rid of the coach.

Reply #699475 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Won't somebody think of the basketball?!

How about some proper discussion around last nights games?

Southern women taking down Sturt, and starting to look the goods.

North women with a massive comeback win over the Eagles.

Flames men hanging with Southern until they turned it on in the fourth.

West out in straight sets against the Eagles on the back of a big performance from DJ.

Some level of proper discussion would be nice for a change.

Reply #699478 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Someone do a recap of West V Forestville for me please!!

Reply #699479 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Now now children.
Let's not let basketball get in the way of north and west fans throwing shade at the remaining teams in the finals.

Reply #699480 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

How do you know what teams are doing what^^. I think you are speculating based on how your club operates and think others behave the same. Did either club boo Johnston etc. I know one didn't.

Reply #699482 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Eagles North game was unbelievable. Eagles up 15 a moment before 3/4 time, 13 up at 3/4 time to lose by 9. 26 to 4 final quarter.

Eagles seemed to lack depth or possibly fitness. An amazing atmosphere created by massive comeback and actions of a couple of men players creating a huge and vocal frenzy in last question driving the crowd. Best atmosphere I can recall in many years at a PL game.

Reply #699485 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

West v Fville

DJ literally played like Durant, using his 10cm height advantage to shoot lethal over Dowdell every time. Blake didn't have much of a role, and West struggled against him too. West’s offence inside was strong, but outside shooting from Kuey and Legan let them down for long periods.

Also, Harris and Kubank matched up and it was awesome to watch two of the most exciting young players in Prem go toe-to-toe.

Teys cold for most of the night. But was clutch and scored 3-straight baskets when it mattered as West charged late.

But bloody hell DJ was good to watch. Regardless of allegiance, can’t argue that having players like him in the league is great for growing it.

Reply #699488 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

It was a fantastic come back by north, the whole club is very supportive and they've got impressive team mentality .

Reply #699498 | Report this post

Jason  
Years ago

#471 love it! #459 clueless keyboard warrior/hater.
Forestville ladies are doing great!

Reply #699506 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Stick to posting the score updates Jason. Sam and Liv are doing a fantastic job dragging the rest of that team along with them.

Reply #699508 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Sam and Liv are great.
At least four of the other girls have a few classics gold between them also. So they couldn't be too bad either. How many classics gold have you won champ?
Obvious feel pretty brave picking on and attempting to demean u18 kids. Good work hero.
Might mention they are in the top three. how’s your team going?

Reply #699510 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The classic "derrr you dont play so cant criticise" routine...

They just got outscored 26-4. All those medals won against other teenagers really doing them a whole lot of good in the real world.

Monica should have won coach of the year. Any team that keeps winning while playing Kelsey Ireland meaningful minutes and letting Alana Nairn actually get on the floor is doing pretty good.

Hopefully amber has another incredible shooting night and southern don't realise sam has two moves and they might get another chance at North.

Reply #699514 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

#514 Take your issue up with the Club Management or just focus on your team/club. Attacking a bunch of junior athletes on a forum is a pretty weak way of getting your message across.

Reply #699517 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"All those medals won against other teenagers really doing them a whole lot of good in the real world. "

They're STILL teenagers you mongoloid, up against more experienced players and holding their own.

"They just got outscored 26-4... Monica should have won coach of the year."

Do you even know what point you're trying to make?

Reply #699520 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Not sure anyone undersands what you are trying to say?
Hopefully you weren't late for school. Wait till you’re an adult before you start up here.

Reply #699521 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The Eagle girls did an amazing job against a more experienced UNDEFEATED team. Credit to North they pulled through when needed. That's why they are the BEST team in the league. But I guarantee you they were shitting there pants for 3/4's of that game.

The Eagle girls are the forgotten ones within the club. Monica has done incredible dealing with the adversity she has had to deal with this year. Two starters leaving mid season for College, 4 under 18's not being available while the Under 18 Nationals are on, girls leaving for College visits throughout the season and a very minimal budget where one Eagle Junior gets paid. Imagine if they could field a whole team every game???? And they still finished third!!!!

Trust me she doesn't want to recruit superstars! She wants to help and develop juniors, hence why they got rid of the f##%%%%!!wits from last year that were all about themselves.

The kids are unbelievable shutting all those doubters up!!!

If your going to sit there and bag kids, you are a complete looser that knows shit about basketball.

Reply #699522 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Monica was so glad Sam left she bagged her all game. Class act.

Reply #699526 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Please let me know what players didn't leave on their own accord the last few seasons though. Should be interesting hearing the stories Monica has spun.

Reply #699527 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Players that left on their "own accord" would not get a gig in that team!
Perhaps a little threatened????

Reply #699530 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Hahaha kidding yourself

Reply #699532 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Mons has alienated her share of players so I won't disagree regarding the other players that left, but Sam's attitude was horrible during her final 2 years at Forestville. Her antics towards the back end of last season cemented that the club didn't want her, so the fact she left on her own accord is a moot point. Talented player though.

Reply #699533 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

What Prosser and Amy Bell????
Prosser talented but no D.
Amy Bell???
Who else?

Reply #699534 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Ruby Porter and Sam DeFrancesco

Reply #699539 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Porter left way before Bello
Above comment says it all about Sam!!!
No idea

Reply #699540 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Move on and maybe support the next generation of talent.

Reply #699541 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

For all their junior dominance Forestville women and Sturt men are big underachievers the past decade or two.

Reply #699544 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

#544 prepare to be attacked for that short sighted comment.

If PL was the end and the most elite level of the sport then fair enough. But elite players can move on to College, NBL, SEABL, Europe or in the case of a number of Sturt juniors, AFL.

Also given so many players are brought in from overseas or interstate there's a lot of variables which affect PL results.

Both clubs have a pretty good track record anyway.

Reply #699547 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Absolutely no idea let alone mention an u18 by name on this forum. (Who if I recall left for Sturt at the end of u16s, and a great move too - can't see how that is the PL coaches fault)
D##bf##k
Spot on. Both clubs achieve far more with their juniors than the rest of the competition combined. And yes #544 is a f##kw@t.

Reply #699559 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Did I read correctly that a junior at Forestville is paid to play or do you means pays to play? Wow crazy!!

Reply #699566 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

No smart@@@####ss one player is paid. She played her juniors at Forestville. They don't go and buy their players.

Reply #699568 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Wow some angry Forestville people here today!

Reply #699572 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Wait, one player on the whole team is paid? Surely both Sam and Liv are.

Reply #699575 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Correct one player!

Reply #699577 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

College (or those attending college) players are not allowed to be paid

Reply #699578 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Thats true. Didn't think of that. No wonder the men can afford half the 36ers squad

Reply #699580 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Are you saying there is inequality between the sexes at Forestville? Surely that's not right!

Reply #699588 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Forestville girls treated as 2nd rate citizens. Considering the silverware they bring to that club, it's a disgrace. They do a fantastic job in juniors, but after that - basically nothing. Happy to take the money from the juniors tho, only to pay for the men’s team!!!!!

Reply #699598 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Yawn. Where does it say both sides need to be funded equally?

Reply #699601 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

^ No where! But do you advocate/support discrimination based on gender?

Reply #699638 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Yes.

Because the AFL has higher ratings, generates more revenue, than the AFLW. The AFLW is free entry. Think about that for one moment. All the costs of running the game, opening the gates, paying the staff. Who do you think is paying for it. Not the AFLW. FACT. Reality. Men's AFL is preferred over AFLW. The market decides.

NBL gets much bigger crowds to WNBL, even though the women's league is probably of a higher standard compared to other Women's Leagues than the NBL is (although that's changing). FACT. Reality. The market decides.

Go to a stadium on a Friday night and have a look in the stands. 10/1 people watching 18 1 Boys over 18 1 Girls. FACT. Reality. The parents, fans, siblings, fellow players decide.

What I put back to you is do you support Women's competitions being propped up by men's competitions at the expense of the men's leagues? That's not equality. That's pure and clear discrimination.

Reply #699645 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Wow anon #699645, beat me to replying. Well said.

Reply #699653 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

But do you advocate/support discrimination based on gender?

I advocate funding and expenditure based on turnover/interest/commerciability/viability etc. Just like how any real world business operates.

When it favours one side it seems to be deemed acceptable and labelled as "subsidisation" but when it favours the other side oh boy you better watch out because it's "discrimination" etc.

Reply #699654 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

(even though when it comes to the other side it really is never a misallocation of resources yet even a slight chance it might be you'll be hearing about how unjust it is.)

Reply #699656 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I would suggest, and Forestville is the benchmark, how one sided the funding can be. I don't think Andy goes chasing sponsors as the women’s coach has to.
I’m happy for the funding to be as per income share. All paid for by the juniors parents of course. Just at this particular club it is extremely one-sided.
To those of you who don’t have a daughter or partner playing girls sport, I hope that one day you get the opportunity to learn and understand why the inequity is so not right. To those of you who get so invested in the men’s game, that maybe you don’t like girls and may never get the opportunity to find out.

Reply #699672 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

you just don't get it. At least in basketball the opportunity to play basketball at an elite level has always been there. Unlike AFL which is pretending it has an elite league for PR. Just look at the recent comments. Basketball offers a full professionally run League.

But the interest and money generated just isn't the same. That's not basketball's fault. It's not Forestville's fault. That's just the way the world is. Good for the girls who play and I for one have supported girls and women's basketball for a long time.

But the general public interest isn't the same. So neither is the money.

Reply #699676 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I do get it and I don't disagree on most of what you say. But through that argument, perhaps our womens PL competition shouldn’t exist. Look at the U18’s. 7 teams, of which 4 are competitive but one a standout. How do you create a PL future from that. Look at the current women’s PL clubs - how many of the top teams are dominated in number by their own juniors? Not many.
Perhaps if this male dominated sport took onboard what the AFL are doing and actually promoted and invested in the sport, it would be in a much healthier place. Girls football at grass roots is booming. Many girls leaving basketball to go there. What has basketball done about it? Nothing. 50% of our population is female, yet such a low percentage in our sport. Yet our girls are so successful. Look at all that missing income.
Doesn’t excuse Forestville for the way they poorly support the women, who do bring a reasonable income into the club through their juniors. No wonder girls are leaving, and their income with it.

Reply #699686 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Or maybe enjoy the Women's PL for what it is. There's 100+ female athletes playing the game they love at a high level. That's fantastic. Something the sport should celebrate.

Why do you have to compare the women's competition to the men's? Why not celebrate what you have rather than focus on what you don't.

If you feel that Forestville is letting down your girls, then leave. That's how the market works, that's how Forestville girls' program grew to their successful state in the first place. It's a market place and you as a consumer control it. These things do to some degree cycle.

We have a sport that has a great Australian Women's Team, one of the best in the world. Numerous females playing all over the world and being paid to do it. We have the longest running Women's National competition of any sport, equal opportunity for girls to play and reach professional levels.

Celebrate it! What a great sport basketball is!

Reply #699697 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 3:23 am, Fri 29 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754