Curious
Years ago

Club Clearance

I have recently heard of a player who made a Seniors side but because he is only sixteen the club has stated that he must play in the junior league too. This particular person is a basketball umpire on Friday nights and since that is his only money, doesn't want to give it up.
I was just wondering if all clubs have this policy?

Topic #4371 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

i think that is fair enough. There are basketball games on all days somewhere in adelaide.

Not to mention quite a few of our junior umpires will play and umpire on the same night. E.g. Umpire the u12's game, have a break, play in the 16's then umpire the 18's (as an example).

I dont know if its an actual policy or just generally accepted.

Reply #50622 | Report this post

Wateva  
Years ago

One of the reasons we have referee problems is because players are put under pressure by their clubs/coaches to not ref so that they can play better. One question. If we run out of referees what will become of the competition?

Reply #50744 | Report this post

Mustafah  
Years ago

Does the lad want to play juniors. If not I would let him play where he wants.

Reply #50884 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Why does a kid that's 16 want to play seniors? Why not just grab a group of mates and make a Social team in the desired grade?

Reply #50890 | Report this post

Wateva  
Years ago

The kid has made a commitment to referree. Despite all the crap he gets as a referee. But still wants to play for his club. The only difference between him playing seniors and juniors is the amount of fees he has to pay to the club. What a joke!

Reply #51065 | Report this post

Anon  
Years ago

Players should fulfill their junior commitments first - they have plenty of time to play seniors. Pushing young players up too quickly could result in burnout or injuries at young age (lets face it, senior basketball is not pretty) Also why deplete your junior teams so early.

Reply #51071 | Report this post

BigAl  
Years ago

I know the boy in question. He is a core ref at a specific stadium, and is relied on to be there every week. If he was in juniors he would be playing U20s anyway (turns 17 before 31 Dec) so what's the difference? At the moment it looks like the club will be losing him due to their unflexibility

Reply #51083 | Report this post

Wateva  
Years ago

What would burn a player out quicker? Playing in seniors early or reffing three games on a night and playing 1? But it's not you guys that need to be convinced. It's the dumbasses in the club, who can't seem to see that he wants to still play for the club and that he is still trying to make himself available whilst maintaining his commitments as a referee.

Reply #51210 | Report this post

Mustafah  
Years ago

What is written in the specific bylaws for the Club?

If it says that he has to play juniors then he is bound by the club bylaws.

Reply #51214 | Report this post

Curious  
Years ago

Apologies if I haven't made it clear.
1. He cannot play on a Friday night due to umpiring div 1 games all night, he rarely has a break.
2. This is his only income rather than become a burger boy and he has made a large commitment to umpiring.
3. The club in question could not field a seniors team so he applied to play as it is a weeknight where he has time to play.
4. The club in question has not provided a written bylaw which states that he must also play juniors whilst playing for seniors, a 17 year old playing seniors is not an issue.
I hope this helps the discussion for all.

Reply #51276 | Report this post

BigAl  
Years ago

Thanks for the clarification, Curious. Just to make sure I've got this right.
The club isn't actually stopping him playing for the seniors - but he HAS to play for a junior team AS WELL.
So much for clubs worrying about injury or burnout, Anon - it seems this club is begging for it!
Maybe it comes down to one of two things:
1. Junior fees - let's grab the last few dollars that we can here.
2. He's good enough for seniors - let's try to bolster our Junior team for a better chance at the finals.
I wonder which it is...

Reply #51338 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

i guess he plays for southern

Reply #51342 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

And none of you have a clue ...

Reply #51345 | Report this post

Mr Hankie  
Years ago

Next this is crap!

Reply #51355 | Report this post

Wateva  
Years ago

What can a club do appart from physically prevent him from playing for them? Can they really do anything to stop him playing. He's prepared to pay his fees so they can't stop him from playing fopr being unfinancial.

Reply #51359 | Report this post

pickles housemate  
Years ago

YAWN...

Reply #51550 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 9:59 pm, Sat 20 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754