Locke
Years ago

Centre possibilities for NZ Breakers

Hi guys, so NZ are after an import center for their last roster spot. Does anyone have any names to throw around?

Anyone think Joakim Noah is a possibility if he is released from his NBA contract soon?

I have heard he and Randle are close and he apparently likes the physicality of the NBL.

Topic #43710 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

centre.

Reply #699376 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Boone is my tip, heard this rumour a while back.

Reply #699377 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Surely you're joakim, there’s Noah possibility at all

Reply #699406 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

So if he and Randle are close why would he go to another team? Also has to wait for buyout from Knicks. And who knows if he likes the physicality of nbl, is there? And and this stage what does he bring, Bogut is better offensively and maybe defensively.And attitude has been shit lately.
Add that up and there's zero chance.

Reply #699454 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

So if you heard this rumour a few weeks ago, did you tell us?

Reply #699458 | Report this post

AD  
Years ago

It's a proper noun, so I think Center may actually be correct, being the American spelling.

I thought NZ were tightening the belt? If so I'd expect a cheaper option?

Reply #699462 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

maybe Mikkel gladness

Reply #699463 | Report this post

UseTaHoop  
Years ago

AD

Why would the noun type effect the spelling? It's a common noun anyway, in general use. If we accept that Centre is a job title, it only results in the capitalisation/ capitalization of the word, not an alteration of its spelling. But you could argue a case for it when quoting a US source (even then you should probably use the brackets sic convention). That convention always looks like you’re trying to be a pedantic smartass/ smartarse by correcting someone’s spelling or grammar, at least to me.

Another eg of this:
Paediatric Gastroenterologist (English job title/ proper noun)
Pediatric Gastroenterologist (US job title/ proper noun)

paediatric medicine (English common noun)
pediatric medicine (US common noun)

For the paediatric pedants over there, or the paediatric pedants here.

Auto co-wrecks on Apple devices hate this stuff btw.

Reply #699465 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

Centre/Center is only a proper noun when it's part of a venue name, ie Perth Entertainment Centre/Staples Center. In that case, the correct spelling is the one actually used by the venue.

It's not a proper noun when used to refer to the basketball position.

Reply #699468 | Report this post

UseTaHoop  
Years ago

KR

Ok. I hadn't thought of a stadium name eg Staples Center.

But if a player is pro, his/ her job title could be "Centre/ Center", ie “Center for NBA team the Boston Celtics”, like a “Ruckman for the Adelaide Crows”. But then if a player plays more than 1 position, is it 2 job titles, or “Centre/ Power Forward”/ “Center/ Power Forward”.

Or are we just over-thinking this a little...

Reply #699486 | Report this post

Hogwash  
Years ago

Doesn't look like any real suggestions in this thread just some nerds talking about nouns.

It is more fun to speculate on Adelaide's final import.

Reply #699487 | Report this post

AD  
Years ago

Sorry, you're correct, not a Proper Noun.

What I love is the following clarification from the Oxford Dictionary:

centre
(US center)
1.4 Basketball The player who is positioned near the basket and is typically tallest on the team.
'only 10 centers averaged more than 10 points per game last year'

So that's helpful.

I take your point regarding venues, and even teams, etc. I was just wondering if it also applied to a role, ie one originally named by the Americans.

I think if NZ want a genuine big centre, who's not just a lump, that will be pricey. But the NBL always seems to be able to attract athletic imports, around the 6'10, 6'11 mark, who do the job well.

Reply #699489 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

NZ have new owners with plenty of $$, doubt they'd be going tight on spending. My understanding is Boone is a potential option, but they are also looking at more versatile players rather than a true C.

Reply #699500 | Report this post

Bear  
Years ago

I have just read these posts and face-palmed the centre of my forehead!

Reply #699545 | Report this post

mystro  
Years ago

I've been told it's def not Boone and little else but it sounds like someone is signed or very close to it.

Reply #700673 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 6:38 pm, Fri 29 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754