Anonymous
Years ago

Aaron Fearne now Assistant coach with Charlotte 49ers

https://www.sbs.com.au/news/former-nbl-coach-joins-us-college-outfit

Topic #43714 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

Getting paid. Atleast 50,000 dollars a year. Lol.

Reply #699529 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Big loss to the cairns community. A lot of talent coming out of that region atm.

Reply #699531 | Report this post

Very Old  
Years ago

good on him, hope he does well

Reply #699543 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

At least he has a job anonymous. More than you. Oh Thats $US too. Not too shabby.

Why do people just want to drag others down. He was a loyal servant to the Cairns community and basketball and clearly is on the way up. Crawl under your rock ffs.

Reply #699549 | Report this post

LoveBroker  
Years ago

Fearne did well for Cairns despite the lack of big budgets.

Best example of that was 2 seasons ago when they were projected to finish last and finished 2nd where Sydney and Melbourne were projected #1 and #2 and didn't make the playoffs.

Reply #699569 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Fearne was a player then an assistant and latterly the head coach at Taipans since 1999. 1999-2018 is remarkable in the NBL. Is this a record for longest tenure at a club out of all coaches and players in NBL history outside of the Gazes at Tigers (1984-2005)?

Reply #699583 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

Mike Ellis started with the Wildcats in 1982 and departed in 2004, which bests even the Gazes.

Reply #699585 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Oh yeah, another player then assistant then head coach (albeit briefly). Thanks.

Reply #699589 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

kr my memory agrees with you re: Ellis but I think there was a gap. Refer to wiki:

As player:
1982-1992 Perth Wildcats
As coach:
1998–2003 Perth Wildcats (asst.)
2003–2004 Perth Wildcats

Although 1992-1998 he was in front office from memory? The original filter included only players/coaches but exective position is fair enough.

Reply #699590 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

He was team manager for the 1992-1997 period.

Reply #699591 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

That should be 1993-1997.

Reply #699592 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Years ago

Pretty sure both of the Gaze's especially Lindsay were at the Tigers longer than that but that includes time before the Tigers entered the NBL.

Reply #699593 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Years ago

I just checked and yes Lindsay Gaze was the coach of the Melbourne Tigers from 1970-2005.

Reply #699597 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Yes Zodiac I am well aware Tigers entered NBL in 1984 and L Gaze predates that year. But I did state NBL not other leagues.

Reply #699599 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Did he play for them also before becoming coach?

Reply #699600 | Report this post

Cram  
Years ago

Yes, he played for them from the 50s. Quite an amazing run. Easy to see why he was perturbed when some upstart kicked them out of the NBL

Reply #699610 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

If he started playing for them at 18 years of age then that would put it at 50 years at the club.

Reply #699611 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

& he & Margaret still go to every home game & Margaret still makes sandwiches on game night.

Reply #699666 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Yes I heard they still attend all Tigers SEABL games at MSAC. So legit.

Reply #699668 | Report this post

AD  
Years ago

Good Luck to him. Perhaps this a step towards a Senior Coaching role in the NCAA

Reply #699693 | Report this post

robt  
Years ago

Reading the Taipans topic re Craig and Trice and felt like adding some thoughts re Aaron Fearne here.

Since the Trice signing to the NBA it occured to me that Fearne seems to be an excellent recruiter of overseas talent but can't work out how to best use them.

1st he recruited Torey Craig then Trice, who both went from Cairns to Brisbane and then to the NBA.

Do we heap shit for not getting more from these rising stars or praise to buggery for recognizing and recruiting great potential talent? Even saw Egwu in the TBT (The Basketball Tournament).

Maybe Fearne for GM of Recruitment for some well-healed club then turn his choices over to the Coach. Guess we all have something to offer.

Reply #700277 | Report this post

robt  
Years ago

....and maybe that becomes THE option for NBA recruitment. Aaron recruits you to Cairns, Brisbane poach and develope you, NBA pounces and Adel sue for damages (that's a LOL!).

Reply #700278 | Report this post

Reality  
Years ago

Adel sue for damages?

Reply #700283 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 1:34 am, Sat 30 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754