Anonymous
Years ago

Perth Wildcats Imports

What's going on with Hire and Vague, who are we signing to replace them half way through season?

I want one gone.

Topic #43724 | Report this topic

Udog  
Years ago

Ha ha ha ha

Reply #699700 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

3 topics. All a waste of time.

Reply #699701 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

It could definitely happen mid-season.

Reply #699703 | Report this post

AD  
Years ago

It will be interesting to see what the Cats LTI contingency is: Will they be keeping tabs on potential imports? Or will they keep somebody as a TP?

Reply #699711 | Report this post

Andrew  
Years ago

You can't have every player a stud. Hire has been injured on and off for the past 2 seasons.
He seems healthy now. He's good for 10 min a game. He's a really top rebounder and hustles like crazy.
Remember it's not all about flashy offense.

Vague has all of the tools....just needs experience and confidence. He is the 11th man so likely won't see a lot of time.

Reply #699747 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

From what I have seen Vague has none of the tools. He is tall but soft and slow. His offence is jump shots but his shooting percentage is terrible. His defence is also terrible. What part of his game is going to improve to NBL standard other than being tall?

Reply #699749 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I hope Vague does well, but tbh he never really impressed me on the court in his limited minutes. Looked like he had an ok offensive game and some good tools, but just seemed really slow and not NBL standard. Was quite surprised he got a main roster spot this season.

Hopefully he improves a lot more with the increased opportunity as well as being a year older. Will gain a lot more confidence though this year which can work wonders for players.

Reply #699751 | Report this post

Hogwash  
Years ago

Feels like this topic has been discussed many times already.

No one has a crystal ball anything can happen in regards to injury and who knows it could be Steindl pushed aside just have to wait and see.

Already looking better than last year with three imports.

Reply #699753 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Don't underestimate what a little playing time and experience can do for a player. Vague definitely has the tools. It's very hard to come on and do well with limited minutes. With experience you become more used to the tempo, the physicality, the opposition etc. Sometimes that takes longer than people think it should, too.

I agree that not every player needs to be a stud and with the Hire comment. It's all about balance.

Reply #699761 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

While I agree not every player has to be elite, you usually use the end of your bench for a young up and comer or guys that bring an elite skill. Like Stiendl brings elite shooting in limited mins for example.

Hire used to bring elite rebounding. You can make the arguement he stil brings that skill. Along with veteran leadership which is often under rated.

Vague doesn't have any elite skills yet and IMO won't develop any, but it was all in or nothing for the cats after several years as a DP. He deserved the shot at a full contract. They have to give him some opportunities though otherwise they should have just left him as a travelling DP.

Reply #699767 | Report this post

proud  
Years ago

At worst Vague could provide 1 hard foul per quarter which could help keep Brandt, Jarvis and Kay out of foul trouble... when it comes to 11th player I'd prefer a bug due to how the league is reffed and how it feels bigs get more stupid fouls (than guards getting reach in fouls for example).

At best Vague could be more than handy, could spread the floor more or fill up the lane on defence with his wide frame.

I think I'd have like to see them chase a more unknown player with a link to the club like Keanu Pinder

Reply #699830 | Report this post

AD  
Years ago

Vague is/was an Emu, just presumably displayed some talent as a junior.
Also played in the "University" games

Keep in mind that he's also a bit younger than other guys who have been away at college.

I was surprised at his promotion, but the Cats would appear to be hard up against the 5-man cap.

Reply #699843 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Vague iturned 22 in jan this year so same age as 4 year college returnees

Reply #699845 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 4:45 am, Sat 20 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754