Anonymous
Years ago

Kings sign Brian Bowen

First Next Stars guy. McDonald's All American in high school. Got caught up in that Louisville corruption scandal. 6'7", great athlete. Classic player with huge upside. Interesting to see how he fits in with all the oldies in that squad. Should be good for a couple of highlights anyway.

Topic #43729 | Report this topic

Chewie  
Years ago

Story is on espn. Hadn't realised that Sydney basically get a free swing with this rule. Doesn't count as an import, and the nbl is paying the salary. The article says that Sydney secured him by showing the most interest? Reading between the lines, does "interest" equate to guaranteeing court time?

Reply #699852 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

We will get a "few highlights".... Sheeesh

Reply #699853 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Terrance Fergusson says hello...

Reply #699855 | Report this post

Cram  
Years ago

3 imports + Asian Player Exception + Next Stars Exception + Tai Wesley Exception + Uncapped Spending.

Kestelman is getting closer and closer to his dream for the NBL: A league with only 5 teams, all spending $10M+ on salaries and only 2 Aussies per team. And it still wouldn't get a good TV deal.

Reply #699861 | Report this post

Felicity  
Years ago

Cram, is the Asian player rule not basically the Tai Wesley rule?

Obviously if the Next Stars program doesn't count these guys as a third import that's insane and needs to change.

But adding two more teams over the next season indicates he's not making the league smaller.

Reply #699862 | Report this post

Cram  
Years ago

Felicity, lets see if he can add 2 teams without losing any.

Reply #699864 | Report this post

bigdog  
Years ago

Firstly, I think it's great that, if for nothing else, this gives the league exposure around the world, and may become a legitimate alternate path for prep to pros players in the future

It would have been great if some of the less well to do clubs (Illawarra, Cairns) have first chance to grab some of these players, as they would get exposure to strong coaching, potentially more playing time, without the distractions of a big city. Plus it could be a potential revenue stream in transfer fees in the future, which could really help with a cash injection

Reply #699865 | Report this post

Cram  
Years ago

The the Asian player rule differs from the Tai Wesley rule. There's some conjecture over how exactly (because the NBL isn't into accountability) but there is a specific exception for Wesley.

Reply #699866 | Report this post

Greenie  
Years ago

Take into account Cram is still pretty butt hurt about the whole Tigers/United rebranding, so his views are massively tainted and negative to most things NBL

Reply #699867 | Report this post

WookieE  
Years ago

That's being a bit dramatic, Cram... Especially when the league is paying for the Next Stars players and there's no such thing as the Tai Wesley exception...

These kids are fresh out of high school that either don't want to or can't get into college, there's no way that they should count as an import... Argue the point of having three imports separately, but this is all for a different reason in bringing more eyes onto the NBL and it's already working it seems...

Whether the Kings should have gotten him or not is another story... I think it will be great experience for him to be involved in such a senior program but not sure how much he'll learn from the coach or amount of game time he'll get to show that he can shine...

Reply #699868 | Report this post

Cram  
Years ago

WookieE, so much to go over here

1. There absolutely is a Wesley Exception
2. The "next star" guys are not Australian and therefore should ABSOLUTELY count as imports. The rest of their circumstances dont matter one bit.
3. 3 Imports is already absurd

Reply #699872 | Report this post

Cram  
Years ago

https://www.smh.com.au/sport/basketball/melbourne-united-put-offers-to-goulding-wesley-as-free-agency-begins-20180416-p4z9x2.html

"Wesley was classed as a local player in his last contract under the now defunct "Oceania rule" which allowed the Guam international to play as a local but it's understood the league will give him another year as a local so he can begin the process of becoming naturalised."

Reply #699873 | Report this post

Hogwash  
Years ago

Any other players being considered for next stars program?
Haven't heard much outside of Bowen.

Good for Sydney if they apparently showed the most interest.

Reply #699874 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Cram is correct Re: Wesley

Reply #699875 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Very unclear about this "showing the most interest" recruitment. Surely there would be talent disbursement amongst the teams, or is there another conspiracy theory that the bigger the team, the better of these young players will be signed to. Would love to see one of the Ball brothers assigned to Perth or Melbourne.

Reply #699877 | Report this post

ME  
Years ago

It's too early to say the big money clubs are getting special treatment because we dont know what other New Star prospects there are. From memory the league was going to source out 8 and then offer them to the teams and maybe Sydney just liked this kid more than everyone else did. If he turns out to be the only kid to come through, then you can start talking about favouritism. But we still have a few months and I'd give it at least another month before I start thinking anything like that.

Reply #699878 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

There is always someone wanting to hold this league back or respond negatively to positive news.

Great initiative by the league and there is no way a complete novice professional should count towards the import restriction. Revenue is generated by garnering a broader interest and this is a step in the right direction.

Just sounds like sour grapes @cram.

Reply #699879 | Report this post

WookieE  
Years ago

My apologies Cram, I meant more that to group that "exception" in with a cause for dramatics wasn't warranted as it was a league rule change, not favouritism towards him (or Melbourne) and some big conspiracy...

The Next Stars is a gimmick to get more exposure for the league, it's not like they're big stars or will demand a place from a local... If there are more players interested, I'm sure they can get distributed, but can't really say "only the Kings got one!" if there weren't the interest from players...

I seriously hope the NBL isn't desperate enough to get a Ball brother here... ugh...

Reply #699880 | Report this post

Curtley  
Years ago

Sorry but three imports, plus potentially a Next Star player is ridiculous.

It's not like the Next Star guys are mugs, whereas leaving the Asian player rule in accounts for the fact some of them could be mugs.

Given Australia probably has more players playing in the US college system than any other non North American country indicates we do need space on rosters for these guys to develop once they finish college. Plus our second tier system and the NZ NBL can develop NBL ready guys.

Potentially having an NBL starting 5 with no Aussies would not be good and that's including the fact that Kevin Lisch is counted as an Aussie.

If the NBL wants to drum up local interest having locals actually play helps. Simple as that.

Reply #699881 | Report this post

Cram  
Years ago

"he Next Stars is a gimmick to get more exposure for the league, it's not like they're big stars or will demand a place from a local"

Bowen will be getting minutes that would otherwise have gone to Deng or Wilson. That is holding back the development of young Aussies for a gimmick and a little buzz.

LK is exactly thirsty enough to bring the circus that is the Ball family to the NBL.

Reply #699883 | Report this post

LV  
Years ago

Cram is correct about Wesley.

But of course, this has nothing to do with the Kings and nothing to do with anything really, because by definition it's a once off.

The exception being made for Wesley is entirely fair, btw. I support it.

Totally agree that Next Stars players like Bowen should be counted as imports. Because, well....they are imports. Considering them an exception is just opening the door to extend the number of imports in the league. Given we already have up to 24 per season, enough is enough.

This is a quality signing for Sydney. Just reinforces them as the hot favorite this year, even despite the question marks on age, injury and coaching.

Reply #699884 | Report this post

Andrew  
Years ago

Bowen will likely be the 11th man. Here is the lineup so far.

*Randle / Adnam
Lisch / Wilson
Newley / Bowen**
*Wear / Kickert / Pineau
Bogut / Deng (shared with Kickert)

Reply #699886 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"3 imports + Asian Player Exception + Next Stars Exception + Tai Wesley Exception + Uncapped Spending.

Kestelman is getting closer and closer to his dream for the NBL: A league with only 5 teams, ......."

more like 3 teams

Reply #699887 | Report this post

LV  
Years ago

Deng isn't a Centre....

Reply #699888 | Report this post

Cram  
Years ago

Anyone who thinks that these "Next Stars", who are looking to push their draft stocks up are going to come to the NBL and be 11th man is dreaming. They're going to get minutes whether they deserve it or not.

Reply #699889 | Report this post

Hogwash  
Years ago

Sydney still have a roster spot spare even with Bowen signing or they could use DP player/s in last spot.
Still can add import anytime which is a scary thought.

Reply #699890 | Report this post

Hogwash  
Years ago

Do the "next stars" have to come directly from high school or are any undrafted college players eligible?

Reply #699892 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The Kings only have two imports before Bowen. Cats also going with two imports - there might be others too?

You don't *have* to have 3 imports. If Australians can play the same role to the same ability at a similar price, they'll get the job. That's how most jobs work.

Reply #699893 | Report this post

ME  
Years ago

Waaah, Waah, Waah

If you have an issue with the fact young Aussies can't get a shot, I have some names for you:

Brendan Teys
Kevin White
Adam Doyle
Greg Hire
Mitch Young
Cody Ellis

For as long as they guys are still in the league, we clearly have enough spots for emerging Aussies. None of them should be in the NBL.

And so what if some young college American who is going to the NBA takes their minutes? Young Aussies will only get good in the best possible league, and this will improve the league.

Some people would prefer we go back to the dark ages, two shit imports and a bunch of Aussie scrubs on the bench who are at SEABL level. The progression of the league scares them for some reason.

And by the way, next season there will be two more teams so you can have all the Brendan Teys you need!

Reply #699895 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Good to see the program going ahead and getting what looks to be a solid prospect as the furst signing.

Gotta say though I'm pretty surprised Sydney get the first one, who looks like he could be one of the best. I thought they would sign up all 8 kids and then have discussions with clubs on who fits where best with priority given to teams who have spent the least this year.

Reply #699896 | Report this post

Hogwash  
Years ago

I'm with ME on this one give me Bowen over Hire for example.

Reply #699901 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

So ever team gets one

Reply #699916 | Report this post

LoveBroker  
Years ago

Yes thats what I want to know....does every team get a 'Next Star participant?

What if the team already has 11 players?

I'm sure if a next star were coming on board for free, players like Hire, Teys and Doyle may be sweating?

Reply #699938 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Years ago

Didn't the NBL say at the time these guys could be signed outside of the existing roster so effectively as a 12th man?

Reply #699941 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I think some of the new rules are atleast 2 3 yrs a hand of time, with two or three teams coming in to the league. thinking there would be more rounds and games a week and bigger squads.

Reply #699944 | Report this post

LoveBroker  
Years ago

Then there is the question of who picks the next stars for each team?

Does a team who is wanting / needing a wing player get a wing player? Who gets the next 'pick'?

I don't even know if there are many candidates for this program

Reply #699945 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I would think its still a trail run, but I think its the teams fault this year because the NBL pay for the players

Reply #699950 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Although I'm happy to have him in Sydney, it would be good to get some transparency around why he's in Sydney - was it the Kings who engineered this, or was it LK. It's a big difference IMO, because looking at it impartially Cairns or Illawarra would be two obvious spots for a player like Bowen to showcase himself over Sydney, and this could be an initiative used to boost some of these smaller markets team... or one to further boost big market teams. Again, impartially, I feel like the former is the way to go.

Reply #699957 | Report this post

WookieE  
Years ago

In the article it said that the Kings were the team that showed the most interest... I'm not sure if this is just a scam or whatnot, I would have thought logically, if he was on a smaller market team, he'd be able to get more play and learn from an actual good coach, so yes, some transparency would be good to see how the process worked and which teams were and weren't interested and what cases they put towards the NBL to be the one chosen...

To me, it's still a bit suss that he'd go to one of the bigger teams that is already fairly loaded with (over 30yr old) talent, and this sort of thing will always be on the nose when it's run by and decide by the NBL... Transparency will definitely fix any bad impression... But we all know how good the NBL is at transparency...

Reply #699986 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Ask yourself this: why would a lower tier club be interested in a one and done 18 y.o. who may not be ready to contribute in a big role?

It makes more sense to be on the Kings or similar, where he can learn from the other veterans rather than having to be a star

Reply #700000 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

As if we needed it, just more proof positive that JL is a total moron, whose ability is presumably limited to giving LK blowjobs.
Yet another debacle. It's what happens when you develop policies whilst snorting coke.

HTF does anybody imagine this will lead to exposure for the league?
Even assuming the NBL had an international broadcast deal, who in hell from the USA is going to watch, besides the kid's Grandma?

The idea of marketing the NBL as a "premier" league, within SE Asia has some merit. Especially when you consider the huge potential market, and the fact that most of their local leagues suck balls.
The idea that anyone in the USA would want to wtach our bush league is laughable.

Make no mistake, this is about LK & JL stoking their egos and pretending their league is more important than it really is.

And FFS, if you're going to spend league money, why give it to the team that is already outspending other teams 3 times over? Also, WTF does "most interest" mean?? Did they have a kissing contest and Gaze was the only one who used his tongue?

We can only hope that there will be comparable players for all the teams, but at best JL has really mishandled the launch by announcing Sydney's first.

Reply #700019 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

When did the Next Stars program officially start? Why are the Kings the only team to sign one? Shouldn't it be fair for all teams? Not that I think we need it!

I actually thought the US college system was going to fix their problems before anything like this program could happen.

Reply #700026 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The NBL is trying to pump up their image not to Americans but to Australians who consider the league a bush league

Reply #700028 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

If you can develop young talent into NBA players then you will attract better players in the future.

Reply #700029 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Just thinking, Bowen was probably the top talent that fits into this program and if no one except the Kings were interested then they likely won't be interested in inferior players. So Bowen will probably be the only one for this year.

Reply #700032 | Report this post

ME  
Years ago

"HTF does anybody imagine this will lead to exposure for the league?
Even assuming the NBL had an international broadcast deal, who in hell from the USA is going to watch, besides the kid's Grandma?"

This move has nothing to do with viewership in the USA and it is hilarious to me that you think it does. Exposure in America helps grow the game, attract imports, and actually helps solidify respect within Australia. No one in the NBL realistically thinks the league is going to become a "thing" for US viewership so you can relax on that.

"We can only hope that there will be comparable players for all the teams, but at best JL has really mishandled the launch by announcing Sydney's first."

Or maybe, just maybe, Sydney was the first to make it official?

"When did the Next Stars program officially start? Why are the Kings the only team to sign one? Shouldn't it be fair for all teams? Not that I think we need it!"

Josh Green is set to become a Bullet most likely, and will be signed by the New Stars program. How has everyone slept on that?

Reply #700036 | Report this post

Jumpshot  
Years ago

Without LK the NBL would have been dead, and you whingers would have been on a dead thread.

Whatever brings more talent and excitement to the league is a plus.

Well done LK.

Reply #700039 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Nbadraft.net says similar skill set to Rip Hamilton, could be sneaky good for the Kings!

Reply #700046 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

so who's the three kings import

Reply #700178 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

When did the Next Stars program officially start? Why are the Kings the only team to sign one? Shouldn't it be fair for all teams?
Who knows. Maybe they're the only ones interested at this point. Have other teams been prevented from signing a Next Star? If it was United moving early and alone, there might be some criticism, but good on Sydney for doing it.

Reply #700180 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 8:17 pm, Wed 24 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754