Anonymous
Years ago

Premier League Preliminary Finals

We're down to three!

Norwood vs Forestville
May 19th Norwood 79 def Forestville 77
July 21st Forestville 94 def Norwood 85

The big question - will Doyle play this week? The answer to that may determine the outcome of this game. Norwood were solid down at Morphett Vale last week but couldn't get over the line against the Tigers, a poor 4th quarter handing the Tigers a double figure win. Forestville handled a West team which has appeared old in the final series. Daniel Johnson showed he was a level above the competition with a highly efficient 35 points.

Key Matchups:
A Webber vs A Doyle - both three time premiership PGs, one a little long in the tooth, one coming off injury. Always good battles between these two but a fit Doyle could give Webber some problems.

M Lycett vs B Teys - Lycett was under done last time these teams played but at his best has the athletic ability to give someone like Teys trouble. Teys has shown his ability to score in clutch moments these finals and is someone you have to pay attention to at all times.

B McGriff vs D Johnson - Now this one is interesting as I don't believe either will do much to defend the other. McGriff struggled from the 3 point line in his last encounter against Forestville, while DJ had 28 points 18 rebounds and 6 assists but on 11/29 shooting. DJ is the clear winner on talent in any matchup, but McGriff has the ability to exploit him the other way if his shot is falling.

At the end of the day as we have said all along, Andy has done a masterful job in assembling one of, if not the greatest lineup in recent PL history. Only a Doyle injury could prevent the title being theirs. Even if he doesn't play, they'll live to fight another day.

Forestville by 5 without Doyle
Forestville by 17 with Doyle

Topic #43737 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

Great write up but care factor now seems to be pretty low.
It's actually sad to see the "masterful job of assembling" crew knocking off good teams one by one, who have endured a season of playing together only to be potentially cheated out of their 2018 opportunity by the hired, hardly suited, one unqualified, NBL players.

Reply #700153 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I wouldn't care much either if my team was out either

Reply #700167 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Norwood will live and die by the 3. If DJ is motivated then no-one can stop him, in fact I don't think anyone has stopped Teys either all year. Superior depth with Norwood, once again all the basketball hopes of everyone outside Forestville are going with the flames.
On a side note can one of you forestville cheaters tell Andy to stop wearing the denim shorts, A) It's winter, B) it's not 1998, C) Between him and Rashad they look like street kids

Reply #700241 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Neither of Forestvilles coaches dress that well. Monica's multicoloured tights are worse than Andy’s fake Yeezys though

Reply #700248 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Norwood handed tigers the win - tigers still lucky I guess.

Reply #700269 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Andy's macrame denim shorts are iconic.

Reply #700270 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Norwood by 4 with continuity and team work getting it done over ring ins.

Forestville by 3 in the girls over a determined Tigers team.

Reply #700295 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Mike Gibson strikes again with referee appointments. Best panel is doing women's game and others doing the men. I guess he expects Monica to coathanger Mollie and wants to stop the thuggery!!.

The men will be playing as gentlemen and I guess no issues.

For what it is worth Forestville over Norwood by 15 with refs being intimidated by Andy and the 36ers.

On women's side Tigers over Forestville in a close game though it could go anyway. Winner to inflict first loss on North in GF!

Reply #700315 | Report this post

Anonymous 22  
Years ago

Who are the referees for each game? And who do we think should be on the games?

Reply #700381 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Men
Wieland, Starkey, Hall

Women
Durant, Gillings, Griguol

Reply #700394 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Which 6ers are playing for Forestville?

Reply #700507 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Doyle back

Reply #700508 | Report this post

+  
Years ago

yet again Forestville prove they are Sth Austs most prominent club - well done on both teams making another years grand finals

Reply #700539 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I wrote off Forestvilles women before the season with the team they had. They've done really well

Reply #700540 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Once again forestville have bent the rules to make a final, prominent club, give it a break.They are a disgrace to the competition.

Reply #700555 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Salty Norwood or Southern supporter?

Reply #700563 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Prominent club......ha, ha, ha, ha.
Well done to the girls.
EVERYONE involved in the men's program with the DJ farce should be ashamed of their association to the club. I wonder if there was anyone at the Eagles who thought "this decision was unsportsmanlike and maybe we shouldn't abuse a by-law to buy a title"? Surely someone said something?
Other clubs, coaches and players ALL have a right to be "salty" after this farce that Forestville turned the 2018 finals into.
Straight up CHEATS.
I am from neither Southern, Norwood, West or North for the record.

Reply #700572 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

So can anyone actually comment on the games, rather than all the other crap?

Reply #700578 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Forestville again waited until late to win it, Michael Harris scoring 20 in the last quarter after only having three foul shots til then to drag them across the line. DJ one assist off a big triple double. Umpires shocking.

Reply #700579 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Do you mean the umpires at the Port v Eagles game or the referees at the Norwood v Forestville game?

Reply #700580 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

You would have to say the Eagles women have done amazingly well with an incredibly young team. It is obvious those young girls have great synergy with each other playing juniors together for so long. I thought Liv Thompson stood up amazingly well in 2 nd half last night to force the win. Looking forward to a great game next week.

Reply #700603 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Forestville always had more talent than most gave them credit for. They're just young.

Pre-season I had them finishing 3rd, so going one or two better is a good result IMO but possibly not overachieving.

I still expect North to handle them somewhat comfortably though.

Reply #700626 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 2:57 am, Fri 26 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754