Hogwash
Years ago

Adelaide 2018/19

Roster is complete

Ins: Wiley, DeLeon, Froling, McVeigh

Outs: Childress, Shorter, Creek, Hodgson.

Returning: DJ, Sobey, Moore, Drmic, Deng, Doyle and Brendan Teys.

Losing Creek is massive while DeLeon signing appears a little underwhelming.

How far will Adelaide go in 2018/19?

Thoughts..

Topic #43747 | Report this topic

Master Chief  
Years ago

I think this season is about improvement from Deng & Drmic & also Sobey evolving further. I think he could be the best Australian PG in the league but we'll see.

Front court depth and experience is a major concern and depending on what Froling can bring, we may again lack a strong rebounding/defensive centre to back up DJ. I don't know enough about Froling but he's only a rookie.

Hopefully Wiley is a stud and it's as simple as that.

Moore should start and we'll see that he's equal to other import guards but can play both roles.

I think the thing to hope for in regards to DeLeon is not that he's still a flashy player but more of a crafty veteran with a good balance of flair, skill and experience. Be interesting to see how much he's changed since his last stint. And i think we are too quick to judge in regards to age. Basketball is actually one of the sports where you can still be in your prime through your thirties.

Reply #700485 | Report this post

ME  
Years ago

Adelaide is overwhelmed by at least 5 other teams when it comes to talent - Sydney Kings, Melbourne United, Illawarra Hawks, New Zealand Breakers and the Perth Wildcats. And unlike more recent seasons, there is a clear difference between the haves and the have-nots. I'd like to be surprised, but I can't see this Adelaide team doing better than 5th on paper. Adelaide will play above their talent but when the dust settles I think most of the league is too cashed up and too far ahead of us.

Reply #700492 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Melbourne don't have any imports yet, there Australian core look solid but till I see there import point and five man I’ll hold my judgement. Look very good threw the two and three though, four looks solid as well.

Reply #700494 | Report this post

Rat10  
Years ago

Good post Master Chief. The Sixers still have a very solid team, especially with the expected improvement of Deng, Drmic and Sobey.

DJ is still playing very solid bball and I thought his once very poor shot selection was the best it's ever been last season. Moore was super impressive off the bench last season so I'm hoping if he starts it doesn't impact the spark he provided.

Much will depend on whether Wiley can replace some of the things that Creek brought to the table.

I can't remember DeLeon being a great three point shooter and I think the 3 point shot will again be an area of weakness for the Sixers.

The Aussie contingent is still very good but unless Wiley and DeLeon are much better than expected then it's hard to see them being as good as last years team.

Reply #700499 | Report this post

Peter  
Years ago

Perth and Sydney both got significantly better so I suspect they are the teams to beat with Melbourne third but after that the 4th spot is wide open

Reply #700505 | Report this post

Peter  
Years ago

Reply #700506 | Report this post

ME  
Years ago

"Melbourne don't have any imports yet, there Australian core look solid but till I see there import point and five man I'll hold my judgement. Look very good threw the two and three though, four looks solid as well."

I think you can probably expect Ware back, maybe Boone. They're going to have top flight imports you can bet on that. And if they don't start with great imports you can bet they'll finish the season with them. Melbourne will be up there, don't you worry about that.

Reply #700512 | Report this post

ME  
Years ago

"Melbourne don't have any imports yet, there Australian core look solid but till I see there import point and five man I'll hold my judgement. Look very good threw the two and three though, four looks solid as well."

I think you can probably expect Ware back, maybe Boone. They're going to have top flight imports you can bet on that. And if they don't start with great imports you can bet they'll finish the season with them. Melbourne will be up there, don't you worry about that.

Reply #700513 | Report this post

Smith  
Years ago

I don't think Illawarra has more talent than Adelaide. Froling is going to be huge for them. I'd say Joey will play him along with DJ in spurts which will also allow them to play Wiley at the three. Froling can shoot it and he'll have the green light.

My only concern for them is a legit big to bang with the bruisers on other rosters. The positive for them is that they can put points up in a hurry. I really like their roster and think they'll finish in the top four barring injuries.

Reply #700518 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

When will Deleon arrive in Adelaide's?

Reply #700535 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

He already has

Reply #700547 | Report this post

Hanging Round  
Years ago

I think we will be OK but need DJ to play more minutes than he did for Forestville during Premier League season.
Joey seems to be able to get the best out of players so let's hope that 36ers surprise the League again

Reply #700564 | Report this post

UseTaHoop  
Years ago

Joey will need to bring the beast out of some players too.

Reply #700575 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Maybe no more flexing in SA?

Reply #700677 | Report this post

Camel 31  
Years ago

Owners are detractors , but I will still follow , although unlikely we'd get close to sydney....

Reply #700686 | Report this post

Reality  
Years ago

Creek will be back once he gets bounced out at training camp

Reply #700691 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Back to Germany.

Reply #700697 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Reality....Creek wont return to Adelaide so long as the muppet running the show is still present.

Reply #700714 | Report this post

mystro  
Years ago

Yeah when he comes back he'd probably rather play for anyone but Adelaide after that fiasco.

Reply #700716 | Report this post

Letsgosixers  
Years ago

Good blend of youth and experience and solid list with alleged lesser payroll compared to couple of other teams.

Glad we targeted experienced pg for last spot on roster and DeLeon rapport with JW can only be good. Perhaps cant always rely on Sobey offensively with his temperament; great defensively. But along with Ramone, some flexibility (& unpredictability) in the backcourt.

Look forward to seeing Wiley get around the basket, looks exciting tho may be up against better defense than used to. Deng for more improvement again. DJ The Man - and love the way he goes about it.

Got one of the greatest coaches in the league. Helps.

Lets Go Sixers

Reply #700811 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 1:10 pm, Thu 25 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754