Anonymous
Years ago

Has Daniel Johnson hurt his reputation in this premier leagu

Quite simple really, for 30 pieces of silver DJ has emerged as a villain in one of the most blatant attempts of bending the rules to win a title. Personally have lost a lot of respect for him as probably most involved in the local scene, but to the casual fans for the 36ers they would have no idea. Fair enough signing with forestville, but the farce of playing a few minutes and using a medical certificate to qualify is to me very unsportsmanlike. No surprise for the powers that be at wayville who have pulled this in past, but he should be ashamed of self.

Topic #43749 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

another thread on DJ, god damn

Reply #700557 | Report this post

Years ago

He hasn't done his reputation any harm, quite the opposite, he is doing what he is paid to do, dominate and win games of basketball, his coach and club however are a bunch of cheats and I hope both teams get flogged next weekend!

Reply #700561 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

No because he is the hired gun he has always been at this level.
The club and particularly Andy and the men's program couldn't be seen as any lower then they are now, title or no title.
BSA look pathetic and Forestvilles actions have seriously hurt any credibility they were trying to gain with their "premier" competition in this state.
A low point in the competitions history no doubt.

Reply #700573 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Just a tiny bit over the top. All this over one game.

Reply #700577 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

No I think he has hurt his reputation by association. He could of manned up and said no I'm not playing as I’m away and won’t qualify which he had told to players from other clubs in the leavue via text message. He knew he wouldn’t qualify and played along with Andy’s deception of BSA. He’s come across as a weak human being.

Reply #700584 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Blame the club not the player. I tried very hard to read this thread with any real care factor... couldn't find it.

Reply #700591 | Report this post

AngusH  
Years ago

For the 99.9% of the country who don't know a thing about SA's Premier League, I'm going to say no.

Reply #700594 | Report this post

Jack Toft  
Years ago

DJ is a professional player, so he will play anywhere. It's his job. If you're a plumber and someone calls up to get a hot water system replaced, the plumber says yes.

Reply #700613 | Report this post

Mitch  
Years ago

Jack with the common sense...

Reply #700614 | Report this post

proud  
Years ago

Ok not knowing the situation other than what's been written on here and from Boti but is BSA basically letting a team field a Western Australian so he doesn't return there and better their league?

Could any club have signed him ?

Reply #700627 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I mean technically anyone could have, but there were very few teams that actually had a chance of doing it.

Reply #700635 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

That isn't the issue. The issue is him getting an exemption to play in finals when he did not play enough games to qualify. The exemption covered him for games played while he was overseas.

I don’t think anyone has issues with high level players in the Premier League competition. I don’t remember people crying over Creek playing before. But he played every game. Even if DJ played the required amount clubs would be ok with it.

Reply #700636 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Exactly. Of course everyone wants high quality players suiting up and as mentioned no one has taken issue with NBLers playing before. That is because they actually played throughout the season, qualified and raised the competitions level with integrity.
It was the pre-meditated, deceptive approach Andy took with DJ, knowing he would be away on a pre-booked holiday and possible contract elsewhere and wouldn't play anywhere near enough to qualify ( I do not count the two games, one in street sneakers, for a total of 16 seconds ) but schemed a not so well hidden plan to scam BSA.
That is what everyone is upset at, nothing else.

Reply #700643 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

My issue is the commentary was he only played 17 seconds in 2 games because he was injured. Well if he was actually injured the medical certificate should have covered those games too so for me I call utter bullshit.

Reply #700644 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"I do not count the two games, one in street sneakers, for a total of 16 seconds"

You don't count two games where he stepped on court, satisfying the by-laws of the competition.

Pretty much sums up the idiocy of most of the whingers on here

Reply #700645 | Report this post

UseTaHoop  
Years ago

"For 30 pieces of silver"???

Is Premier League now run by Church Basketball???

Reply #700648 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Not idiocy, that seems to actually be reserved for those desperately defending a blatant and unsportsmanlike manipulation of a by-law.
Integrity might fit better than idiocy.

Reply #700649 | Report this post

Mitch  
Years ago

Sour grapes seem to be on the menu in abundance today

Reply #700650 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Keep crying champ, BSA (who you should be angry at, not Forestville) might ban him from the grand final.

Reply #700651 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Those defending the manipulation have no integrity. Their only defence is it is within the rules. Sportsmanship, integrity etc are words foreign to the people who immediately get defensive about what their team has done. Salty, your team is obviously out etc etc If your club did absolutely nothing wrong then shut up. But you jump to there defence because you know it isn't in the spirit nor intent of the by-laws. If it was all above board the medical certificate would have covered the 2 games he stepped on court for 17 seconds and one of those was in street shoes and one they told the ref he was coming straight out. Call it what you want but you manipulated the f**k out of the by-laws. Well done you must be so proud. I’m no southern supporter but I hope they give Andy and DJ PLENTY on Saturday and I hope they feel uncomfortable for it because they have brought it all on themselves. And if DJ had an ounce of integrity as an elite athlete he wouldn’t have agreed to it.

Reply #700652 | Report this post

Mitch  
Years ago

Does anyone have any tissues for the guy above?

Reply #700653 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

He doesn't need them. Because he lost interest ages ago. He just likes highlighting the flaws in the defense of the indefensible. Except it’s within "the rules"

Reply #700654 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Definitely looks like he lost interest.

Reply #700655 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Back to the plumber analogy. If he or she knowingly installed a stolen hot water system or against guidelines then they're guilty of complicity. DJ knew exactly what was going on, fair enough to get paid for those games he played in and help them make finals, but to then take part in the finals is terrible. As was said with Creek playing at least he was there nearly every week, in fact played reserves a couple of times.
Andy and club are most guilty, but no-one is surprised at his integrity, Johnson I am.
Never thought I'd say it, but go Southern and kick their ass. Damn Cheatgles.

Reply #700662 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"Cheatgles"

Reply #700663 | Report this post

Years ago

I just hope when southern and forrestville are finished they burn the stadium down, we need a new one

Reply #700665 | Report this post

AD  
Years ago

Wow, butthurt much?

Reply #700666 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

This is the funniest thread I have seen since Game 3 of the NBL Finals, after Sobey's brainfade and headbutt. lol

Reply #700667 | Report this post

Brunson  
Years ago

"Back to the plumber analogy. If he or she knowingly installed a stolen hot water system or against guidelines then they're guilty of complicity."

No it is more like they imported the hot water system from another country which meets current regulations but something the regulators will look at as they think the standards need to be better.

End of the day DJ gets paid to play. He meet the current requirements so I have no issue with it.

It would be difficult to put a minimum time limit. Does it make it any better if they say a player had to play a minimum of 5/10/15 minutes? What about if they want to quality a player that would play a handful of minutes but now the rule has changed saying they have to play a minimum of 20 minutes each game. Only thing they can really do is extend the minimum amount of games required from say 7 to 10 and be more stringent on exceptions.

Reply #700676 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Guys that play minimal minutes have to suit in Reserves in the same week.

Reply #700678 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

There is a minutes played criteria in the NBL/WNBL to determine whether a player will be deemed restricted in lower leagues so I can't see why they could apply that to restricted players in the Premier League. If your restricted you must play 10+ mins. It would at least stop this rubbish of stepping on court for seconds to qualify.

Reply #700682 | Report this post

Anon  
Years ago

Yes he has. Wondering about the intregity of a medical exemption that was written for DJ when he was overseas.. clearly not fit to play basketball and needs more rest on a northern hemisphere beach. That's the type of sick leave letter I need. Eagles arent playing ball they playing us for fools.hope you win eagles. Way to play. UnAustralian but hey who cares. Hold the trophy up high be proud of your achievement. Cut the net. BUT don't look at the rest of us in the eyes with any pride. we have zero respect.Tigers you are the winners - At least as far as playing the game.

Reply #700784 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

This is really getting sad.

Reply #700785 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Is there anything South Australians do not whinge about? Amazing. A whole other breed.

Reply #700793 | Report this post

Anon  
Years ago

Yeah we don't whinge about whingers. We respect opinions. Unless they are wrong.

Reply #700795 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Shut up please

Reply #700796 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Only problem as mentioned before is bench players that hardly hit the court would fall under the minimum minutes proposal unless it had a higher level clause in it. End of the day its spirit of the game, something Forestville haven't got.

Reply #700822 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Forestville, the only club who ever do anything against the spirit of the game.

Reply #700843 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

822 I said give restricted players a minimum requirement for playing time to qualify, not all players.

Reply #700848 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Is DJ considered a restricted player due to his injury issues?

Reply #700867 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I'm sick of this shit.
What they did was within the rules of the competition. End of story.

Tired of all the whingers who claim that anything they don't like is somehow "not in the spirit of the game."

The game has rules, you abide by the rules. That's it.

Reply #700928 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Thanks Andy

Reply #700929 | Report this post

Anon  
Years ago

Why so precious and touchy over something that is apparently all fair. Sense that maybe very defensive because so apparent to all that rules been exploited. Injury waiver when guy is out of country. So how the hell was he going to play if was fit. Ah that's right had an injury so had to leave country for OS. Plane flight best treatment for injury and recovery...... eagles are ahead of pack with player management.

Reply #700933 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

How many AFL players head to the US for injury recovery? Oh that's right, you're a doctor.

Reply #700934 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Can someone post the medical report here, because clearly everyone except me has read it.

Reply #700935 | Report this post

Anon  
Years ago

Who gives a rats toss bag about the medical report. The fact is there a stinky stinky smell in the house. Think coming from WayEvil way. The cunning eagle has left a rat out to dry.

Reply #700936 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Blah blah blah.. In a few weeks time when the NBL season starts, all those "anti DJ for whatever" people, will be pushing their kids up to the court post a Sixers game that he scored 40 points in and have him sign something for little Johnny. All will be forgotten.

Reply #700974 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Yeah because DJ scores 40 in the NBL all the time doesn't he?

Reply #700982 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Hope you all boo the guy when he plays for the 6ers seeing as you hate him so much now.

Reply #701005 | Report this post

Anon  
Years ago

Don't hate. Dislike the stick the rules up your a.... hole attitude of eagles. Yes clever to find the loop hole but amazing a club would chose to go down that pathway. Obviously don't care about respect or image created. We are eagles who cares if we manipulate. Winning only thing.

Reply #701022 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I'm sure they’re absolutely filthy with themselves for following the rules.

Reply #701025 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Doubtful ^

Reply #701038 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I wonder how their sponsors feel being associated with such an organisation. No more Vili's for me!

Reply #701077 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I don't normally eat Villi's, but my disdain for you might incentivize me to do so.

Reply #701086 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Their logo plastered all over a championship team. I'd hate that.

Reply #701088 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Greg Mays made Daniel Johnson look like trash

Reply #701637 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

DJ does the double - loses NBL & SA state league grand final.

Reply #701639 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Unfortunately for DJ he was doubled constantly but did not have the 2nd 3rd 4th 5th options to kick to or receive from in a team led by someone who could not put together a team strategy to utilise his talents. DJ in the 36ers has that so he performs well. Every player needs to be in the right team to get the best out of them and under the right coach. And only 1 team wins, so many factors determine success and Tigers happen to have them all aligned this season. The same Forestville team last season even with a distinct lack of structure could have won. This year they were outcoached and out played by a team that has a good internal culture, something lacking in the team DJ was in. Its just ridiculous to suggest he does not have talent, even the best players as many before have experienced can't win on their own. That club needs to address an issue that has been around for some time and replace the coach externally. The last few have just not cut it against opposition coaching talent. Simple as that

Reply #701645 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

And DJ did not lose the NBL. They came 2nd in a talent laden season against a financially and talent stacked team with awful ref calls and unfortunate injury issues. A salary cap that is enforced and transparency and a fully fit team woud see a different story, love or hate Joey, he is effective and a master at getting something out of teams everyone sees little in at the beginning of a season. So tired of ludicrous statements to justify a few individuals narrow view and inability to see the big picture. Hate is so consuming and blinding.

Reply #701648 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Just as blinding as one eyed biased in the other direction.

Reply #701649 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

2,d, 3rd, 4th, 5th options??? Someone forget to tell him he had Doyle, Tey, Harris and their import.

Reply #701653 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Thanks for that clarification. That is my point, why did they not step up ? Tigers managed to have many step up within their team, no one player can win a championship on their own, even Curry, James or Durant. That is my point. Roll with more contradictions below. If you read correctly with an open mind I support neither team, just the game. The loss is not upon 1 player and nor do they deserve the flack they cop here withouth criticL analysis of the entore team dynamics, coaching and bilaw issues. No 1 person should shoulder the blame, not should the success of Tigers be underestimated this GF game.

Reply #701656 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I never said anything about DJ as a player, merely he has lost two finals back to back.

Reply #701685 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 9:28 pm, Tue 23 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754