Thunder Jam
Years ago

Taipans sign Devon Hall

Great get by the Snakes, rd 2 draft pick by OKC coming to Cairns.
6'6" SG I guess they are hoping holds down the 3 spot for them.

Topic #43751 | Report this topic

AngusH  
Years ago

Don't know much about him, but looking at his stats looks like a spot up shooter? Hell of a backcourt for Cairns though, and they're looking sneaky good on paper.

Reply #700592 | Report this post

Manu Fieldel  
Years ago

One of the best long-range shooting rosters the NBL has ever seen

Reply #700595 | Report this post

ME  
Years ago

If Jawai can find some form (any form will do) and Lucas Walker can stay fit, Cairns are going to be a problem. The only thing I question for them is their bench depth. I don't really think Rob Loe, Jarryd Kenny or Kuany Kuany are any good.

Reply #700617 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

If you're relying on Waxy and Jawai hopefully being fit, you're gonna have a bad time.

Reply #700619 | Report this post

AngusH  
Years ago

Yeah, if Jawai stays healthy and Walker plays like he did early-season for Perth, that's a potentially scary roster. Even if Jawai misses some games, I think you can do worse than Loe, although rebounding is going to be a question mark. Kuany Kuany is an unknown quality, and DKD hasn't really had consistent opportunity to show what he can do. I guess Heuir is not returning? Always felt like he was on the verge of taking the next step towards being a consistent bench contributor.

I guess that means Cairns are rolling out:

PG: Melo Trimble / Jarrod Kenny
SG: DJ Newbill / Kuany / DKD
SF: Devon Hall / Kuany / DKD
PF: Walker / Loughton / Young
C: Jawai / Loe / Young

Outside of the question marks at backup SG/SF, I like it. I'm sure Fearne is probably pissed that they finally sign 3 solid imports right after they axe him, though.

Reply #700621 | Report this post

Northern Brew  
Years ago

Team is now set, this would be my choice for rotation:

Loe / Jawai
Walker / Loughton / Young
Hall / Kuany
Newbill / DKD
Trimble / Kenny

Kuany to get absolutely no minutes and effectively be 11th man with the SF spot to be rotated through with Hall / Newbill / Walker / Loughton depending on matchups.

Reply #700622 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Is anyone else looking to sign next star

Reply #700623 | Report this post

proud  
Years ago

If Melo can be the on court general and not give up too many turnovers then this squad could cause a lot of issues.

Rebounding does seem like an issue but didn't Waxy get like 16 rebounds in a game vs Adelaide last year, if he can bring that hunger and supposedly they will play more up tempo(when Jawai is resting) then this will be a fun and dangerous team.

I love that Young is the 5th big guy on the roster and I'd definitely be giving him minutes as at worst you know he is gonna play his heart out.

Is Huier young enough to still be a DP as I think he is underrated but so is DKD (when his shot drops)

Reply #700624 | Report this post

Northern Brew  
Years ago

Calling it now, Trimble/Newbill/Hall best import trio in the L

Reply #700632 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Good signing - only question for Cairns is rebounding as the only good rebounders for me are Young & Walker. Would expect something like this for rotation

Trimble/Kenny
Newbill/Kernich-Drew
Hall/Walker/Kuany
Loughton/Young

Jawai/Loe

Cairns look 5th on paper for me.

Reply #700637 | Report this post

Aussie  
Years ago

http://www.nbadraft.net/players/devon-hall

Reply #700640 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Nice signing, all in all, picking up Trimble and Hall lifts Cairns from surefire wooden spooners to possible wooden spooners. Can't see them making the 4 at all.

Reply #700657 | Report this post

CT  
Years ago

anyone else notice that Devon Hall played college ball at Virginia, the same place that picked up Kody Stattman? they sent a couple of guys over last year to scout him, either during during preseason or right at the end of the Qbl season. remember seeing a guy in a Virginia cavs shirt at the fishtank sat next to Fearney the whole game..

not sure whether to read anything into this other than it can't have hurt the taipans to have had someone come over and see the program they run up here whe they were trying to talk Devon into the job.

Reply #700664 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I'm sure Fearne is probably pissed that they finally sign 3 solid imports right after they axe him, though.

Interesting observation. This correlates to Beercroft's recent comments confirmimg they received equalisation tax.

Reply #700669 | Report this post

anon  
Years ago

Equalisation tax? Where was this mentioned?

Reply #700680 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Fearne probably would have had Hall and Newbill coming off the bench.

Reply #700683 | Report this post

Andrew  
Years ago

Cairns have assembled a half decent squad in the end. Barring injuries, I don't think the league is going to be as lop sided as some people are suggesting.

Reply #700688 | Report this post

Manu Fieldel  
Years ago

I think Taipans will push for a top 4 spot

Reply #700690 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

They will be somewhere between 4 and 6 at the end of the season.
No chance of being in the bottom two like some pea brains on here dribble on with.

Reply #700699 | Report this post

PeterJohn  
Years ago

anon - maybe a reference to this article? http://www.dailymail.co.uk/wires/aap/article-5645641/NBL-wont-outgrow-Taipans-boss.html

Same article appeared in several online sources, so it could be a Taipans press release. Doesn't quote Beecroft saying anything about receiving equalization tax though, so may not be what Anonymous was referring to.

Reply #700706 | Report this post

LV  
Years ago

Impressive signings.

But- will the kids live up to expectations against the pros? Big question.

Other questions:
- Kelly as a coach.
- Can Jawai get fit and then stay healthy?

If there's positive answers to these questions, Cairns will indeed be strong, and might make a mockery of those who have suggested a huge gulf between the big spending clubs and the rest.

Reply #700718 | Report this post

LoveBroker  
Years ago

Nate Jawaii has not had an injury free season since coming back to the NBL.
Even in his most successful season he was constantly injured, so much so people were suggesting he should miss the GF game 2 in NZ (and concede the loss) to be fit back in Perth for Game 3.

Based on the trend so far, it is reasonable to think the trend will continue. This leaves the front court potentially thin if Loe is the 5 and Loughton takes some time at the 5 as well.

That said this team looks good on paper.

Reply #700720 | Report this post

Manu Fieldel  
Years ago

I'm guaranteeing a top 4 finish for this team

Reply #700721 | Report this post

Melbourne Boy  
Years ago

Haha, Manu here we are again. Bragging rights wager you and me, I say Taipans are no chance of making finals, and will almost certainly finish bottom 2, are we on?

Reply #700722 | Report this post

Melbourne Boy  
Years ago

If (or when) Jawai gets hurt, here's the Cairns bench, good luck with that.

Young
Loughton
Kuany
Dexter
Kenny

Reply #700725 | Report this post

anon  
Years ago

"anon - maybe a reference to this article? http://www.dailymail.co.uk/wires/aap/article-5645641/NBL-wont-outgrow-Taipans-boss.html

Same article appeared in several online sources, so it could be a Taipans press release. Doesn't quote Beecroft saying anything about receiving equalization tax though, so may not be what Anonymous was referring to."

Thanks Peter John. Does not really give specifics but nice article.

Reply #700740 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Someone here said Beecroft's statement indicated they were receiving the tax from NBL. However I can't find which thread it was in...

Reply #700745 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Found it:

https://www.hoops.com.au/forum/43741-should-nbl-bring-back-points-cap/#p700493

Read the chain. Although it's just a "sauce"

Reply #700747 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

(read every post from that link downwards, except ignore the last one by AD which is utter trash.)

Reply #700748 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I don't think it's a coincidence word is clubs are getting the tax now or soon and Cairns finally sign decent imports... connect the two together? Obviously only speculation of course.

Reply #700749 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Years ago

I'm sure Fearne was on more money than Kelly too.

Reply #700751 | Report this post

PeterJohn  
Years ago

thanks Anonymous. I found the original source for the excerpt in the other thread. It's from a long article here:

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2016-07-26/regional-teams-not-bothered-by-rich-city-cousins-spending-spree/7649052

Reply #700756 | Report this post

PeterJohn  
Years ago

Oh, and the article is 2 years old. i.e., prior to last season. So the quotes were referring to the expectation of a luxury tax redistribution.

Reply #700758 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Oh ok thanks for clearing that up. Outdated. Although if what anon heard is legit then they are being subsidised. Hopefully someone else knows more.

Reply #700762 | Report this post

Zig  
Years ago

Well obviously if the same anonymous poster repeats it enough times, it must be true.

Cairns is a cobble of ageing rejects. They won't make the finals because they simply can't last the distance.

Illawarra looks similar, but I'd still back Bevo over Kelly.

Reply #700797 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Good that some people have some sense. Cairns are very unlikely to make top 4. Newbill isn't a good player and many other is their signings are from the reject pile. Loughton is a worker but limited at this stage of his career and Jawai rarely stays healthy.

If Trimble and Hall are big studs they will be a tough team, but if not they'll be in wooden spoon race.

Reply #700805 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Good to see Cairns doesn't mind the tax equalisation policy and says it fits with their model.

I would trust quotes from Beecroft more than from the LK haters

Reply #700806 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Newbill was quality last season. NZ's biggest issue was Sosa. Big time chucker who made just enough bad shots to keep himself on the court.

Reply #700818 | Report this post

Vodka 46.2  
Years ago

Cairns are still rubbish.
Love Manu's sense of humour though.

Reply #701116 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Mathiang would help there frontcourt.

Reply #701144 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Reply #701381 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 3:18 pm, Thu 25 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754