mystro
Years ago

Breakers sign final import: Jerrelle Benimon

NZ are going small signing their final import for 18/19 Jerrelle Benimon at 6.8".

He's played some NBA and DLeague as well as Germany & China.

Topic #43763 | Report this topic

LV  
Years ago

Nice signing.

Career trajectory seems a bit of a worry- great numbers in the G League in 2014-15, then dominated China in 2015-16, only played 17 games in China in 2016-17, and then modest numbers in Germany in 2017-18.

Was he injured at one point? Is he one of those energy players who relies on athleticism but struggles in the better leagues? Those are my questions based on a quick review of his stats.

But on face value, an impressive signing.

Breakers will be playing small ball, but it looks like this guy can rebound, as of course can Majok Majok.

NBL looking very competitive indeed.

Reply #700955 | Report this post

LV  
Years ago

Although, having said all that, he played 20 minutes a game in the German league, which is quite a strong league. So perhaps he was playing a role to perfection.

His assist numbers are impressive- 4.3 assists in the G league, and 2.5 in Germany in his 20 minutes a game. Those are good numbers for a big man.

I'm thinking this Breakers lineup will have a nice balance to it.

At a minimum, the fact that this guy stuff the stat sheet in every category shows that he'll impact games in a variety of ways, and the assists suggest he's a team player. That all bodes well.

Reply #700957 | Report this post

Manu Fieldel  
Years ago

Pretty much another Tai Wesley, but American. So exactly like Tai Wesley.

Reply #700959 | Report this post

Andrew  
Years ago

Breakers have assembled a great squad. Top 4 in my opinion

Illi / Weeks
Webster / *Richard
*Moore / Abercrombie / Ngatai
Wesley / Delaney
*Benimon / Majok

Reply #700969 | Report this post

LV  
Years ago

They're absolutely stacked on the wings, with Webster and Abercrombie and then imports Richards and Moore.

The addition of Benimon means they have a decent frontcourt too.

On paper, a strong squad that runs deep.

Reply #700975 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Maybe a little small in the front court but yet another squad that Kings bigs will not be able to defend

Reply #700976 | Report this post

Manu Fieldel  
Years ago

It's amazing that people think Bogut will be exposed defensively in the NBL. Laughable

Reply #700977 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Last year the premier rim defender was Boone who is much quicker than Bogut but was still ineffective against stretch bigs

The 3 point line is shorter in the NBL than NBA, more big men can nail that at a higher % and Bogut will have to challenge. How long do you think that old man can keep up?

Reply #700979 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Add to that the fact that Kings will have to fight through every screen (Randle, Adnam, Bogut and Kickert really can't switch) and their coach, they may have issues defensively as a team

Reply #700980 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"It's amazing that people think Bogut will be exposed defensively in the NBL. Laughable"

We'll see who is laughing when Bogut has to try and defend Rhys Vague out on the perimeter!

Reply #700981 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Benimon certainly gives off Wesley vibes watching the highlights, but looks like he's a bit more of a face up player than Wesley. Not the type of player I expected the Breakers to go after. Wesley was about 10x better on the defensive end last season than I've ever seen form him before, and I think both him and Benimon are going to need to be firing on that end to stop the Breakers bleeding points inside on D.

Reply #700986 | Report this post

LV  
Years ago

Just watched some highlights. Him and Wesley together will indeed create matchup problems for plenty of teams in the NBL.

But- at the same time how will he go defending the likes of Jawai and Brandt in the post?

Reply #700991 | Report this post

mystro  
Years ago

I guess he's strong like Wesley & Vukona, apparently Armani Moore is stronger than his size suggests

Reply #700995 | Report this post

LoveBroker  
Years ago

Breakers looking very good so far.

In fact all teams seem to have done 'very well' to 'well' so far offseason.

Reply #700997 | Report this post

Thunder Jam  
Years ago

A bench player from United is their only big man.. Bye Bye Breakers!

Reply #701000 | Report this post

andrewbprice  
Years ago

Fantastic roster imo. Should go all the way.

Reply #701001 | Report this post

EssenX  
Years ago

I'd love to see this roster under Joey Wright. It’s an exciting one.

The only weakness could be the interior defence, but there’s a limited number of players in the NBL that can damage you there and they may be oft-injured.

I like that Benimon puts it on the floor and attacks the rim. Sometimes stretch players shoot poor percentages, like Loe did for much of his stint with the Breakers, but it looks like Benimon doesn’t settle.

Overall, this is a tough team to guard.

Reply #701013 | Report this post

LoveBroker  
Years ago

Who is coaching the Breakers now?

Reply #701018 | Report this post

EssenX  
Years ago

Kevin Braswell.

Reply #701037 | Report this post

Hogwash  
Years ago

Not much frontcourt depth at NZ but an impressive roster nonetheless.
Not sure if they will make top 4 will see who Brisbane get at small forward.

Reply #701045 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"Top 4 in my opinion"

ROFL

Dude, this team is going to suck balls big-time.

Their backcourt will get eaten alive,
and the front court is both lumbering and undersize.

Braswell should have tried hiring talent instead of his mates.

"but there's a limited number of players in the NBL that can damage you there"

OMFG

This season of NBL is absolutely stacked with guys who can smash you inside.

Reply #701064 | Report this post

LV  
Years ago

Benimon's been named all defensive several times, in college and G league.

Yes he'll be undersized, but Ben Wallace was undersized. So's Draymond Green. So's Casper Ware.

Maybe he'll be fine guarding the monsters of the NBL. Let's wait and see.

Reply #701097 | Report this post

mystro  
Years ago

Very versatile roster except for the obvious lack of size.

Ili - 6ft
Weeks - 6.1"

Webster - 6.2"
Richard - 6.4"

Moore - 6.4"
Abercrombie - 6.6"
Ngatai - 6.5"

Wesley - 6.7"
Delany - 6.6"

Benimon - 6.8"
Majok - 6.9"

Should be able to play high energy fast paced basketball for 40mins and a mixture of lineups.

Reply #701101 | Report this post

EssenX  
Years ago

Who's going to smash them inside that doesn’t have injury risk?

Reply #701205 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"Benimon's been named all defensive several times, in college and G league."

So he's been named all defensive, in leagues noted for their spectacular lack thereof?

"Who's going to smash them inside that doesn't have injury risk?"

So that's your big plan?
Count on everyone else getting injured?

It's not just a question of strength, its about being able to protect the rim, intimidate shots, and not allowing guys to go over the top. Which is not to say it will be a one-way street, but they are at a serious disadvantage.

Also lets not forget that they have relegated the most important role on the team, to two bench-warmers, who only appear reasonable because they played limited minutes, against benches, and nobody paid them any attention.

Reply #701214 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Finally someone else points out the odd PG rotation.

Reply #701224 | Report this post

mystro  
Years ago

17/18 MIP in Ili with a young exciting athletic Weeks as the PG options, odd that they backed locals and used their Imports elsewhere?

Reply #701252 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

I think Ili, Webster and Weeks can handle the PG job between them.

Reply #701262 | Report this post

mystro  
Years ago

Anon, are you saying NZ are at a disadvantage defensively being loaded with versatile and athletic wing players? I would have thought they offer plenty of rim protection, it's in the post that they will be exposed.

Reply #701266 | Report this post

EssenX  
Years ago

If Braswell has a good system and the team executes that system I don't think it's likely anyone other than Bogut or Jawai smashes them in the post (maybe Conklin, literally!).

I think the major challenge for the Breakers is chemistry and culture given the changes in personnel on and off the court.

Reply #701353 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Was Atlas Place part of the club sale? or a separate asset?

Reply #701365 | Report this post

CT  
Years ago

Don't like the PG rotation at all. Weeks got better at Cairns but is still mediocre when not doing what he does best; coming off the bench and attacking the basket. Ili was good last year but is still relatively unproven. Webster is a headcase who attracts drama wherever he goes. he's also declined a fair way since his peak 3 or 4 years ago. theres a lot that can go wrong there.

Reply #701373 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"I think Ili, Webster and Weeks can handle the PG job between them."

In what?
Is Braswell confused? Does he think he's still coaching NZBL?

There's a reason most NBL teams, since day dot, have gone with import point guards.
Or had some of the deadset Aussie guns.

I can't even recall the last time a team went with such a pissweak lineup at the point.
This isn't "Moneyball." 2 shit guys don't add up to one decent player.

Can you imagine those 3 clowns going up against Randle & Lisch? Or against Martin, Norton, and Cotton.

Really, the only question here is which import they'll axe to bring in a PG.

Reply #701375 | Report this post

EssenX  
Years ago

Webster has declined!?

Reply #701377 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I'm pretty sure Atlas Place was sold to the new owners (looking andrewbprice's way, Mr Breakers Analytics guy).

I like the composition of the team. Plenty of versatility, with an offense built around multiple options and Corey Webster's fadeaway elbow jumpers. Oh how I'm looking forward to seeing those with 2 seconds left on the clock.

Success will be predicated on Shea's improvement, especially with his shooting efficiency. Would be nice if Abercrombie could make a reliable open 3 too.

Reply #701402 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 11:00 pm, Fri 29 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754