Anonymous
Years ago

Kings maybe most talented in history: Gaze

"I think it is arguably one of the strongest squads in the history of the game here," Gaze told The Daily Telegraph.

“It is an incredible line up we've been able to assemble.”

_______

I tend to agree. It's up there.

Can anyone think of any that are better?

Topic #43769 | Report this topic

Hogwash  
Years ago

If the coach was as good as his squad they would be unstoppable.

Reply #701175 | Report this post

FYI  
Years ago

With the money they have spent on the roster you would bloody well hope so.

Reply #701177 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Years ago

I was thinking that last night watching them blowout an admittedly over matched opponent in the first quarter. I've never seen an NBL team as good as that the ball movement and chemistry was really something to watch.

Reply #701180 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

FYI, how much have they spent? Big names yes, but how much has it actually cost? Or are you just guessing?

Reply #701181 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Amazingly they could top the 90s Violet Crumbles!

Reply #701182 | Report this post

The team is legit. No question.

The question is though, can they stay healthy all season and be firing when counts.

Randle is in impressive form right now. Can he maintain it all season?

Reply #701183 | Report this post

Camel 31  
Years ago

bogut doing a lotta coaching out there ...pretty good....

Reply #701189 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Ricky Grace, Tiny Pinder, Paul Hansen, Andrew Vlahov, Mike Ellis & James Crawford would beat em.

Reply #701190 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

*Pete Hanson

Reply #701192 | Report this post

jumpshot  
Years ago

Carfino, Mclaine, Leon Trimmingham, Dalton Bros, Man Mountain.

Reply #701193 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Randle and Bogut with a solid supporting cast should be too tough to handle.

Only question marks to me are age and coaching but Randle and Bogut are the two best players in the comp this year imo.

Reply #701195 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

On paper, it is the best team that has ever been assembled in the history of the NBL. I think that Bogut will cover up any cracks in the coaching department with his on floor leadership. Just have to remain healthy.

Reply #701196 | Report this post

PeterJohn  
Years ago

Best starting five, probably. Best team - tougher call.

It's fun to imagine them matching up against past teams, like the 1986 Sixers:

Green - Randle
Lisch - Pearce
McKay - Newley
Davis - Kickert
Jones - Bogut
Ali - Wear
Nelson - Pineau
Wood - Adnam
Ninnis - Wilson
Sexton - Deng
Sykes - Bowen
Spear - ?? (not sure who their DP is)

Cole - Gaze (coach)

If both teams had to pick 10 players as per 1986 rosters, it'd be a game worth watching.

Likewise 1995 Wildcats, 2000 Wildcats and 2003 Kings. Maybe 1989 Giants? All make for some interesting match-ups with some really good players in the mixes.

Reply #701201 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The 2006 Tigers would kill them. they too small

Reply #701203 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Might look OK on paper but don't mean shit. Chemistry, coaching, ego's, age/injuries, who's gonna be da man. Lots of questions. A champion team will beat a team of champions.

Reply #701206 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

After all it's the way it shatters that matters!

Reply #701207 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Kings definitely least talented coaching wise in history: Every NBL fan with a clue

Reply #701209 | Report this post

rjd  
Years ago

This is the right kind of group for Andrew Gaze to coach: a veteran team with some vocal leadership types. We've seen some NBL success from coaches who just let their veterans go out and play, ala late 1990s Phil Smyth.

This is also where this year's Kings team is far from the talent loaded late 1990s Kings teams. The late 1990s Kings teams might've had plenty of talent, but they lacked veterans and smart leaders.

When talking about most talented teams in NBL history, depth-wise I don't think any 1980s and early 1990s teams can compete.

Reply #701211 | Report this post

AD  
Years ago

It's weird. I remember Gaze's career.
I just don't recall all the head injuries he obviously suffered.

Is he ever going to learn to keep his mouth shut?

Reply #701213 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

Are you?

Reply #701223 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

They haven't won a real game yet... let's save the heavy breathing for the end of the season.

Reply #701234 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The typical St Mary's team would be a run of the pack NBL team most years and a St Mary’s Aussie vet all star team would blow out an NBL Aussie born all star team.

The Kings made a statement whether people want to admit it or not.

Reply #701251 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The typical college team would get beaten by nearly every nbl team, kids against men. People seem to overate college by a fair way compared to pros. So how many of their endless Australian kids have come back to play nbl.

Reply #701260 | Report this post

Camel 31  
Years ago

So , I'm expecting them to win it this season , but not to beat the 36ers of 1986 , arithmetically.

Reply #701263 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"Are you?"

This is a discussion forum, you're not going to get very far by asking people not to state their thoughts and opinions.

However, I will give you props for your logo!

Reply #701270 | Report this post

Duke Fan  
Years ago

"Carfino, Mclaine, Leon Trimmingham, Dalton Bros, Man Mountain."

Won nothing

Reply #701271 | Report this post

LV  
Years ago

Kings are favourites without doubt, purely on the sheer talent they've assembled.

But that doesn't mean there aren't legit question marks, such as:

- Age and decline. Eg: Newley's in decline. Bogut's barely played in 2 years.

- Injuries. Bogut and Lisch had multiple serious injuries in recent times.

- Coaching.

- Egos and attitudes. Does the veteran calm of Lisch and Gaze outweigh the opinions and the egos from Kickert and Randle? Can everybody settle down and respect the leadership of Bogut?

- Defensive issues- Kickert is getting older and struggles to defend some 4 men. Randle is exposed on switches.

Overall though, it is arguably the most talented team ever and they're favourites for sure.

Reply #701275 | Report this post

Anon  
Years ago

Duke Fan
Today

"Carfino, Mclaine, Leon Trimmingham, Dalton Bros, Man Mountain."

Won nothing :)

Heavy Smokers

Reply #701276 | Report this post

Duke Fan  
Years ago

"Does the veteran calm of Lisch and Gaze"

????????
Did you watch a Kings game in the last 2 seasons? Calm is the last word I'd use about Gaze's demeanor on the sideline.

Reply #701277 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I expect Bogut to be the vocal leader. He's loud and should be respected by every player and coach - watching the two preseason games, he's been the most vocal out there. I don't think personalities are going to be an issue with Bogut taking that role to be honest.

Biggest question marks are health and coaching.

Reply #701279 | Report this post

Clashes could come when Bogut it's an injury hurdle and is still doing the talking but someone like Randle disagrees because he's healthy and putting in that work.

Not saying it will happen, but the Kings biggest threat right now is their health.

Reply #701282 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Bogut is the key. He could overcome Gaze's coaching shortcomings with his on court smarts and leadership.

Reply #701311 | Report this post

Reality  
Years ago

06/07 Brisbane - Tigers of the same period

99/00 Perth

Can think of a few teams along the way more talented than Sydney

Reply #701313 | Report this post

LV  
Years ago

[????????
Did you watch a Kings game in the last 2 seasons? Calm is the last word I'd use about Gaze's demeanor on the sideline.]

Perhaps "calm" wasn't the right word.

Gaze can be frantic on the sideline with his mannerisms, but overall his general demeanor is that he's a laid back, happy go lucky guy.

In terms of negative energy vs positive energy, Gaze brings positivity and morale. I don't always get the same vibe from the constantly whinging Kickert and the small man syndrome Jerome.

Those two sometimes have too many opinions! And as we saw with United in 2014-15, that can be cancerous if there's too much of that within a group.

Reply #701316 | Report this post

WookieE  
Years ago

In terms of negative energy vs positive energy, Gaze brings positivity and morale. I don't always get the same vibe from the constantly whinging Kickert and the small man syndrome Jerome.

Nope, nuhuh... Every game last season Gaze was so close to being out of control it was embarrassing... Out of game days, maybe, but during the game when he's prowling up and down the court pulling his hair out and screaming like a crazy man? There's nothing morale boosting or positive about that...

I agree definitely about Kickert... cancerous is a perfect word, but I think being around Bogut and being happy to sit out at the 3pt line on offence and having Bogues behind him to tidy his crap D up at the other end, should keep him in a more positive mood... I thought initially that Bogues and Randle might clash a bit, but looking at them communicate in St Mary's game the other night, looks like they're putting in that work, so it could be good...

Will just see how it all lasts if/when things get tough...

Reply #701321 | Report this post

Very Old  
Years ago

Bogut has been where Randle would have liked to have been, and as they are totally different player roles/skills/positions there is no realistic basis for resentment from on to the other.

Reply #701329 | Report this post

LV  
Years ago

Gaze can probably be excused for poor morale given the horrendous season the Kings had.

If things are looking up, he'll be smiling. Guaranteed.

On Randle, it's actually a huge boost for the Kings that he's already here. The season doesn't start for 2 months, and many other teams have still been announcing their import signings over the past week.

Him and Bogut both being here and being healthy in the pre season gives the Kings the best chance of success.

Reply #701331 | Report this post

Mock  
Years ago

Keep chirping Kings fans. I guarantee you Trev and the boys out west will have something to say about it.

Reply #701410 | Report this post

WookieE  
Years ago

Hey Mock, try to identify a Kings fan that's doing the chirping... just like the last couple of seasons, it's not the Kings fans making noise about their team in the pre-season... Most of them have been around too long and are just waiting for the disappointment to kick in...

Reply #701412 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Gaze has dug his own grave, and is laying at the bottom waiting for an earthquake.

It's not just that he can't coach. He can put a team on the court ok, and may well again do well early on.
The problem is that he's completely incapable of adapting.

Even if their talent somehow drives the Kings into the finals, Gaze will still get found out. The good coaches will have a seasons's worth of tactics, and he will have no answer.

There's also the problem, that Gaze is probably the only person in Australia who doesn't know he can't coach. The players certainly know it.
They're all professionals, and this is their job, but surely there's still a difference between turning up purely for a pay-cheque, and actually believing in your team.

Reply #701421 | Report this post

AngusH  
Years ago

Wookie has it 100% right - I'm fully expecting us to bungle this somehow and end up outside the top 4 against all odds.

Reply #701423 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Unless Bogut misses a lot of games, they won't be missing the top 4

Reply #701456 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Bogut is so good, the Kings might get away with having a numpty coach like Gaze. All depends on if he can get through a season though. Which is debatable.

Reply #701483 | Report this post

Manu Fieldel  
Years ago

How good can we expect Deng Deng to be this season?

Reply #701485 | Report this post

Manu Fieldel  
Years ago

And for that matter, how good is Tom Wilson going to be? Because he'll be getting decent enough court time. They seem a tad lean in the backcourt. Bowen will want to be good enough for 10 minutes a game.

Reply #701486 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

On previous performance Gaze only plays 7,8 maximum players, if you are 9,10,11 you not seeing the court except in blow outs. Not certain Wilson will offer to much.

Reply #701487 | Report this post

Manu Fieldel  
Years ago

Fair enough, but you can't afford to fatigue the older guys tho. Lower minutes to keep them as fresh as possible for the pointy end. Surely someone will recognise that

Reply #701489 | Report this post

AngusH  
Years ago

Tom Wilson I expect to get spot minutes and not contribute a whole lot based on what I've seen of him through 2 preseason games. Looks like a good shooter, but too much talent ahead of him.

Deng Deng looks like he could be an impact player off the bench though. If we lose Bogut for a stretch, I think his rebounding ability is going to be huge for us.

Reply #701491 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Deng Deng has been excellent so far. Athletic as hell, looks like he has decent range. The question mark is can he duplicate that against better competition. Kings haven't played anyone yet.

Reply #701495 | Report this post

WookieE  
Years ago

Manu has it right in that Gaze's approach to exhausting his starters with 33+mpg should not happen and doesn't NEED to happen this coming season... Bench depth is a slight issue, but he shouldn't need to run his older starters into the ground... That's a huge concern though, because as all have recognised, he can't coach worth shit and game decisions is not his strong suit...

Reply #701501 | Report this post

robt  
Years ago

2 points/responses I'd like to make.

1. NBL vs College teams. Sydney beating St Marys easily, says the most highly regarded team (pre-season)in NBL history just took advantage of a team NOT in the top 67 teams (tournament invitees/March madness), probably the right result. I really don't think that that deserves college condemnation.

2. Sydney's health. Bogut is the main target. The guy's gotta play fewer than 30 40-minute games in 5 to 6 months, and, forgive me for the comparison of his opposition, now and then (NBA days).
Injuries can happen to anyone any time. They could get the flu, for G's sake. Age will have an effect on healing etc. but that's all!

And, Gaze, being the same age as the veterans, if he gets injured do Sydney's chances skyrocket????

Reply #701528 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"Fair enough, but you can't afford to fatigue the older guys tho"
Have you watched Gaze coach?

I wonder if he ever changes his oil?
Or does he just buy old classics, and drive them until the engine seizes?

Back in the day, Gaze senior would play junior for 48 minutes. Seems to be the only tactic he remembers.

Reply #701628 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Which local will they sign as their 11th roster spot to start the season with? Will they elevate one of their DP's? Who is on the radar?

Reply #701643 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Singh gone?

Reply #701644 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Singh was a publicity stunt, nothing more. Was never going to be a part of this group for an extended period. Nowhere near NBL standard. Same as the Chinese kid they had.

Reply #701652 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 5:33 am, Fri 26 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754