NBL Next Stars process - from Aussie Hoopla Podcast with JVG

Sorry - don't have a link to their podcast - just look up Aussie Hoopla on Twitter.

At the 25 minute mark JVG talks about the Next Stars Process.

Here's the breakdown.

Next Stars are contracted (paid) by the NBL.

To be an eligible as a Next Star player, the player must be eligible and declare for the following year's draft.

The NBL gave teams the permission to scout Next Stars players that would suit their teams.

The catch was, any players they identified, would be available to ALL NBL teams.

The player would then have the final decision as to who they play for.

JVG says they identified Brian Bowen (to replace Blanchfield), The league was also speaking to Bowens agent.

JVG said that Bowen did have interest from other clubs.

JVG is important for people to understand - there are no minutes guarantees. He thinks other clubs may have needed him more from a minutes stand point.

JVGs understanding of scouts and NBA guys - no one was interested in Stats RE: Ferguson. They are interested in other things (doesn't say what these things are). They draft on potential as players, athletes, size, physicality. Really honing on player professionalism.

JVG thought their pitch to Bowen was to make him a international professional. Using Bogut as a selling point.

JVG need to have reasonable expectations with how they use Bowen.

JVG says they have a significantly deep team (I disagree), so Bowen will have to earn his sport.

JVG it's more reasonable to look at Bowen and look at how he will "professionalise" his way into the NBA.

Bowen agent is also Dante Exums agent.

As a whole JVG talks a lot but doesn't say too much. It's a very hard listen, as JVG doesn't really offer any actual insight most online fans don't already know or assume.

Topic #43770 | Report this topic

Here's the link: http://www.aussiehoopla.com/sydney-kings-gm-jeff-van-groningen-on-nbl-next-stars-brian-bowen-and-the-current-roster/

Reply #701185 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Years ago

Still pretty ordinary that the one Next Stars player goes to the team that needs him the least.

Reply #701186 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

As a whole JVG talks a lot but doesn't say too much.

and for good reason.

Reply #701187 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Quality recap, captain

Reply #701188 | Report this post

WookieE  
Years ago

As a whole JVG talks a lot but doesn't say too much

Spot on. This is certainly his super power...

Cheers for the recap... I was curious, but didn't want to subject my ears to it...

Reply #701557 | Report this post

robt  
Years ago

Just been reading "College Kids, What's next?" and then re-read this thread. Zodiac writes, "Still pretty ordinary that the one Next Stars player goes to the team that needs him the least."

I think that it's ordinary that the statement includes "the one Next Stars player".

If that's a correct statement, that there is only 1 Next Stars player, could the NBL not offer that deal (or very similar) to Aussies, in college, to lure the best of them here rather than Europe.

In the "College Kids" thread, mention is made of several Aussies who would/should choose Europe, presumably for more dollars. Wouldn't a Next Stars deal suit these Aussies as well. They could progress as well here as anywhere else, it's the underlying premis of the Next Stars deal, anyway.

Any validity in the above or am I missing important Ts & Cs in the Next Stars deal?

Reply #701791 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Let's hope we see 7 other next star signings, it looks bad for the league when Sydney is the only team with one so far.

Reply #701794 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Its also free, the nbl pay

Reply #701796 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

hawks sign a guard as there last player, I can see a big next star process

Reply #701800 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 7:48 pm, Tue 23 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754