GordonG
Years ago

TV Deal - Nine on Board for Three Years

According to Brisbane Times and affiliates, Nine has signed a three year deal to show at least two live games per week on 9GO.

Haven't seen a media release yet, but you can read all about it here:

https://www.brisbanetimes.com.au/business/companies/nine-inks-broadcasting-deal-with-national-basketball-league-20180816-p4zxyf.html

Topic #43772 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

https://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/basketball/andrew-bogut-sydney-kings-to-feature-in-first-game-as-nbl-secures-landmark-broadcast-deal-with-channel-nine/news-story/e4081029b29b80a231a65283337ea22a

Reply #701226 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

http://www.nbl.com.au/news/article/43361-nbl-announces-three-year-partnership-with-nine

Reply #701227 | Report this post

Craig  
Years ago

So that's 2 games, what about the rest? Is Fox still on board?

Reply #701228 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Foxtel is still on board.

Reply #701229 | Report this post

Aussie  
Years ago

"NBL was on Channel Ten a few years ago and was recently on public broadcaster SBS. Mr Kestelman said NBL currently had the option of continuing to show games on Fox Sports and was in the process of "finalising" this, adding it was likely additional games would be shown on the pay-TV provider"

So "additional" games on Fox Sports doesn't mean "every" game still broadcast on Fox Sports.

Yet when I brought this up a little while ago, everyone on this forum shot me down and said every game will still be live on Fox Sports.

Looks like that 5 year deal with Fox, isn't worth the paper it was signed or written on.

Reply #701233 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

9 had a vacant spot after losing the cricket.

Reply #701235 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

What does catch up rights mean?

Reply #701240 | Report this post

SVD  
Years ago

Will all games still be streamed on nbl.tv

Reply #701242 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Sounds similar to last year with games on Fox and Saturday, Sundays on FTA, but sounds like NBL.TV is gone while this Nine deal is in place.

Reply #701244 | Report this post

Cram  
Years ago

Its on 9go. And there's a profit sharing deal. So they're still giving away the coverage rather than getting any guaranteed money.

This is the "landmark deal"?

One positive (if I read it right) is that all games will be on 9s catch up service after they're aired, which is good for access for those who don't want to get foxtel can still see every game.

Reply #701245 | Report this post

AKA  
Years ago

This can only be seen as a positive. Is it perfect? No. Is it progression? Certainly. Great work by the NBL team to get this across the line. If the league keeps growing in popularity over the next 3 seasons as it has done in the past 4 seasons or so then the next negotiations will be when the big $$ come in. It's a long play but Larry and co are obviously backing themselves and the league to have leverage come the re-negotiation in 3 years time.

Reply #701247 | Report this post

Timberball  
Years ago

Cram, I read that as; the games that are shown on 9go will be replayed on 9Now. That's how 9Now, 7plus, 10play etc work. It’s just a replay service.

Reply #701248 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

All games shown on 9Now as catch-up, including the 4-5 games that are only on Fox Sports each week.

Reply #701249 | Report this post

PersonalFoul  
Years ago

So does this mean no NBL TV

I only ever used the free service available but I liked it, the ability to watch games after the fact (i never have time to watch them live) I was even considering paying for the full this year.

Reply #701253 | Report this post

PeterJohn  
Years ago

Cram - it appears NBL is still paying production costs as well.

"the value of Nine's spectrum has been recognised in lieu of a rights fee and production costs"

So hard to judge if this is an improvement or not. Comparing with last year:

- one more live game per week on free-to-air, an improvement for fans without NBL.TV and Fox
- both games on a high profile network, may pick up some more, casual viewers, a marginal improvement for NBL
- other games live on Fox, no change
- no games live on NBL.TV, a step backwards for fans with NBL.TV and not Fox
- all replays freely available on 9Play, a marginal improvement for fans as last year they had to pay for them with NBL.TV
- no replays on ABC, not a problem given 9Play
- NBL pays production costs , no change for NBL (I think)
- revenue sharing, not sure of arrangements with Fox and SBS last year (no change?)
- press release reads like 9 might be going to invest in some promotion and wants to get a sponsorship return around game day sponsorship etc., sounds like an improvement for NBL

Would NBL have expected more in return for the AUS/USA games' coverage rights? At face value, NBL has gotten one additional live NBL game a week on free-to-air in return for giving up rights to live digital coverage of all games (NBL.TV) and rights to the two AUS/USA games. Is that a good deal? Does the hint of 9 investing in promotion make that a good deal?

Reply #701254 | Report this post

PeterJohn  
Years ago

^ sorry '9Play' should be '9Now'

Reply #701255 | Report this post

PeterJohn  
Years ago

the other thing we've yet to see is what the coverage deal means for game times

Reply #701256 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Hard to see this as a positive after I watched 80% of games live via NBL TV last year.

Good
2 games a week on 9go
On-demand service for replays to all games on 9go
3 year deal
Profit sharing with 9go - so NINE has some inventive.

Bad
No idea what situation is for LIVE broadcast of games not shown on NINE.
No idea what's happening with NBL TV for live access to all games online.

Reply #701257 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

How many paying subscribers would NBL TV have? Less than 200 I'd guess. It is not a big deal if it goes.

Reply #701258 | Report this post

LITS  
Years ago

Sure hope all games are still Live and importantly in HD on Foxtel... it's great that 2 games will be shown on 9GO for those who don't have Foxtel, but they won't be in HD which sucks.

Reply #701259 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

The Fox deal is still in place.

Reply #701261 | Report this post

Camel 31  
Years ago

Seems pretty good... (there was a replay game on abc at bedtime...waste of space)

Reply #701264 | Report this post

woody  
Years ago

I really enjoyed the late delayed game on Friday night on ABC. I would not check the scores and just enjoy that game at 11 PM or whenever.

Does anyone know if that will continue?

Reply #701267 | Report this post

Curtley  
Years ago

Call me cynical but I dont see Homicide and Bill Lawry gelling.

Reply #701268 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Good summary by PeterJohn above. But I would like to offer some differing "ratings" to PeterJohn.

- one more live game per week on free-to-air, an improvement for fans without NBL.TV and Fox [Comment: Agree]

- both games on a high profile network, may pick up some more, casual viewers, a marginal improvement for NBL [Comment: Agree, although you might rate this better than a "marginal" improvement if 9GO! is a popular channel? I don't know too much about it, so let's say marginal is fair]

- other games live on Fox, no change [Comment: Agree]

- no games live on NBL.TV, a step backwards for fans with NBL.TV and not Fox [Comment: Agree, but are there really that many fans on NBL TV? I don't think NBL TV has officially been ruled out yet either]

- all replays freely available on 9Play, a marginal improvement for fans as last year they had to pay for them with NBL.TV [Comment: Better than marginal. Surely there are more people who use 9Play than NBL TV? And then you also have a better chance of attracting casual fans as you don't have to pay for a subscription and you might see it in the course of looking at other 9 programs, whereas NBL TV is only used by hard core supporters]

- no replays on ABC, not a problem given 9Play [Comment: Agree]

- NBL pays production costs , no change for NBL (I think) [Comment: Agree]

- revenue sharing, not sure of arrangements with Fox and SBS last year (no change?) [Comment: Perhaps, but you would think 9 as a large commercial network is more skilled and is more incentivised in the areas of making profit from their TV content]

- press release reads like 9 might be going to invest in some promotion and wants to get a sponsorship return around game day sponsorship etc., sounds like an improvement for NBL [Comment: Indeed. NBL loves their partners to really be just that. Talks of a 30 minute weekly discussion show too which would be an improvement.]

Reply #701269 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

If this means that the only way to watch EVERY game live is through foxtel...e.g. NBLTV has been removed, then this is A HUGE STEP BACKWARDS. There must be a way to stream games live. If thats through NBL TV or through 9NOW thats fine. Large majority of people are not going to pay the foxtel costs (I won't as I hate foxtel as a company) to watch it live on that platform. NBLTV was great and needs a replacement if its is gone.

Reply #701272 | Report this post

For years I've managed to avoid foxtel to watch games live.

Don't mind paying for live online streaming service that isn't foxtel.

I just want NBL live. nothing else.

Reply #701273 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

^Yup. Foxtel is a rubbish company. Calling them with billing issues etc is soul sapping.

I will never pay them

Reply #701278 | Report this post

Melbourne Boy  
Years ago

11am Sundays on Ch9 there will be a 30min NBL wrap up show.

Reply #701280 | Report this post

ME  
Years ago

"11am Sundays on Ch9 there will be a 30min NBL wrap up show.

R"

The main channel?

Reply #701281 | Report this post

Thunder Jam  
Years ago

The WNBL Article in Canberra Times says...

Nine will show live NBL games on Saturday and Sunday at 3pm on their 9GO! channel with talks continuing for Fox Sports to show all NBL games live.

Good luck getting a crowd at that time slot!!!!

https://www.canberratimes.com.au/sport/basketball/all-eyes-on-us-wnbl-nears-free-to-air-tv-deal-20180816-p4zxvm.html

Reply #701285 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Does anyone knew how much the nbl is make money wise, are they sharing it with the teams?

Reply #701288 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Surely this is a positive thing for NBL in general which is what the main concern.

I'm a Cat's member so half the games I see live. The other half I normally watch on Fox, plus I tend to throw a game on here and there if I'm pottering around the house. Hole channel 9 thing doesn't effect me too much, but there are plenty of ppl who will love watching NBL on the weekends, when I was a kid games were played in our household and was a weekly even watching the Cats in the 90's on FTA TV.

NBL TV is helpful when I'm overseas cos I can watch my team play just with a WiFi connection, and think it's brilliant that you can use it for free just signing up to watch your own team.

Think the one area they've shot themselves in the foot is, this season I've noticed a hell of a lot more game in Perth are on the weeeknds, which is kinda sucky as a lot of fans head straight to the game after work on the Friday, but the idea was to increase families going. There are always mid arvo games on the weekends, but they should have scheduled prime time game on Sat night to gain more viewers for 9, maybe this will happen in in the seasons to come.

Reply #701289 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Hopefully the Saturday games aren't in the afternoon. Sunday afternoon is ok

Reply #701290 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

https://nbl-com-au.s3.amazonaws.com/nbl_2019-schedule.pdf

NBL Schedule now has times

Reply #701291 | Report this post

KET  
Years ago

It's a bit of a disappointing deal, essentially it’s the same as last year except a shift from SBS to 9GO.

Last year we had:
All games live on Fox
3PM sat game on sbs viceland HD
3PM sun game on sbs HD
11PM replay on ABC

Now we get:
All games live on Fox
3PM on sat and sun on 9GO

I think we missed a trick with no 3PM game on the main channel and no prime time games on 9GO.

If we manage to get an 11am NBL wrap show on Sunday on the main channel for 3 years and not just 1 year, that would be a decent addition

Reply #701292 | Report this post

Big Sexy  
Years ago

Adelaide have a lot of games on 9go, 11 with a possibility of 3 more

Reply #701293 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

3pm is a TERRIBLE time for a game, 3pm Saturdays?! WTFFF

Reply #701295 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Sounds like the death of NBLTV.

Reply #701296 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Pretty disappointing tbh. 9Go is an upgrade on SBS in terms of exposure. I would have liked maybe one more game a week though, and for it to be on 9's main channel. Pretty surprised it isn't on 9, they don't have any other sports on during the day and the timeslots of NBL wouldn't clash with any primetime shows for them.

Reply #701298 | Report this post

KET  
Years ago

SEN interviews made things interesting

Let's assume for now fox shows all live games again, the articles and Larry’s interview and the 9 reps interview makes it clear there is certainly games on Fox.

The 9 Rep said there will be an 11AM nbl wrap show on 9, so that’s good.

Larry said there’s intention to change time slots and main channel, so while it might not occur this season perhaps we will see key games shown on Nine throughout the year and maybe key prime time games shown. There’s a glimmer of hope.

Not sure how Nine will deal with the tennis/bball conflict, is expect oz open to be shown on Nine and Gem maybe they won’t use 9 Go.

No discuss about finals - I think it would be great if Nine had the rights to show the finals games, to begin with have the ability to show them on the first place and secondly to be able to show all from series so people don’t miss the narrative of the series. Live and on main channel would be ultimate situation especially if it’s Sydney v Melbourne.

NBL maintaining coverage control isn’t a bad thing, taking production costs sucks but hopefully they’ll see return through greater sponsorship.

Ultimately I think this NBL deal is a long play over 3 years: have a partner who’s in it longer than a year, start off putting the toe in the water, prove worth gain confidence of the FTA network, get rewarded with more main channel coverage, hopefully at the end of the deal either 1) proved worth for substantial main channel coverage or 2) proved worth for a deal that pays $$$ next time

Reply #701300 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

So Perth are playing games at home at midday local on a Saturday. Hmmm...

Reply #701307 | Report this post

Anon  
Years ago

Have they been looking at AFL schedule, and thinking if crowds go to AFL at 1pm on a saturday, why not NBL?

Reply #701308 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Who will be doing the commentary? The usual NBL crew or a channel 9 one? If the latter, would like to see Eddie McGuire involved. A proven host of big leagues and a big name to associate with the league.

Reply #701309 | Report this post

proud  
Years ago

So in previous seasons (I work from home) and on many Fridays id watch a team play in NZ at 2:30pm to 4:30 and then I'd get ready to go to a Wildcats game that night...

Are they only showing NZ games on Fox too or am I misreading something?

I love nbl.tv and I really hope that that's an option for when I'm on the train to a game as 9 won't be in any kind of hurry to put games on their 9NOW site until they actually recognise that people want to watch that content!

Reply #701312 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

bad luck to anyone that plays cricket in the summer and had planned to go to games.

Reply #701315 | Report this post

Perth Saturday game tip-off time - 12pm.

Reply #701317 | Report this post

Thunder Jam  
Years ago

There will be club backlash from this Sat 3.00pm rubbish.

Because of one Go channel deal that will be hardly watched, members and fans have done ALL Saturday night games cold. Idiots!

Reply #701318 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

does anyone no if channel 9 had any rules on how many team whey wont

Reply #701320 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

When I refreshed the link the PDF has reverted back to no times on it for me.

Reply #701322 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I wont million

I can only recall one Saturday afternoon game - years ago when due to venue availability Townsville had to play an elimination final in that timeslot. Other than that can't really remember this timeslot ever being used in NBL unless so it may create problems by not being a traditional time.

Reply #701323 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

When I refreshed the link the PDF has reverted back to no times on it for me.

I have the original saved.

Maybe once announced Wildcats said "uhhh no!" since 3pm is ok over east but since it ends up being Sat noon time here it created issue for them?

Reply #701324 | Report this post

Cats 4 life  
Years ago

Shit time, plain and simple. How much you go around it is shit. Especially for us in Perth, 3 hour time difference doesn't help. Many people work and have kids play sports, at least minimum 4pm tip off and that's being nice.

Reply #701325 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Good point about kids playing sport, bet Perth lost their shit when they saw the times as they were trying to get more families to the games.

Reply #701327 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Strange they put so many 3pm Sat games for Perth when at least if they are for eastern teams it is actually 3pm and not noon time...

Reply #701330 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Like above, I just clicked the link to the PDF fixture again and it's now without times. I printed it off inside the past couple hours and it had times. Seems strange.

Reply #701332 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I can upload the original with times if people want to have a look at it. Even on the original there were some games with "TBC" (To Be Confirmed) but it was strange Perth had so many Saturday 3pm EDT (noon WST) considering the timezone issue.

Reply #701335 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Can someone please reupload the version with times? Thanks.

Reply #701337 | Report this post

rjd  
Years ago

Very disappointed if NBL.tv is discarded as a live option, especially as it is a sole overseas option. It needs to be upgraded, not removed.

Reply #701338 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I would be surprised if NBL TV is scrapped.

Reply #701340 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Here is the older version of the schedule with times:

https://imgur.com/a/ZXjRNSN

Reply #701341 | Report this post

Titan82  
Years ago

This is a significantly better deal for basketball in the overall sport landscape.

By the looks of the announcement Ch9 have structured the basketball the same as the netball. Given the growth that netball saw in their first year (currently in the 2nd year) if replicated in basketball it would be a tremendously positive outcome.

Netball started their agreement with Ch9 with more tv viewers than the NBL currently has. The sponsorship share for Netball in the first 12mths was a multi-million dollar figure. Viewership numbers increased by >40%.

Check out how Netball has some games on the primary channel and the timings for games.

Reply #701343 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Thank you ^

Reply #701344 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Australia has netball? Who would have thought.

Reply #701350 | Report this post

Hanging Round  
Years ago

Let's just hope that the teams get a good spread of FTA games and not the Sydney Boguts shown every week
It is great news though

Reply #701357 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Did you not look at the GO! scheduled games? Kings aren't featured at anywhere near a ridiculous level.

Reply #701363 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Why should they be? There will be a total crush on the weaker teams never getting shown.

Reply #701370 | Report this post

LoveBroker  
Years ago

NBL TV must be able to co-exist with a Nine deal, so many people that cannot catch the game live should be able to watch on demand later.

If Nine are concerned with the clash then either show Nine's games on NBL TV as a Nine stream (with Nine's advertising) or don't show those games live on NBL TV (only on demand later).

Reply #701378 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I think many of you are panicking way too early in the piece.

Reply #701379 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

All games will be on demand via 9s streaming service after they are completed.

Reply #701398 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Years ago

Which is reason enough to say this is a bad deal. More exposure for the league on Go rather than SBS but now if you want to see every game live you have to sign up to Foxtel which I certainly won't be doing.

I suspected NBL TV was on the way out as last offseason they showed playoff games from the Spanish and Chinese leagues this offseason that was all gone. I doubt I will bother with the delayed games on 9's streaming service so I'll just have to take the two games on Go.

Just such a disappointing result.

Reply #701399 | Report this post

FM  
Years ago

Nine has the live rights to two games. Option to play other games after they have finished. So if they like the product and are getting ratings, expect them to increase the number of games each week.

Fox have their deal which gives them the exclusive rights to live broadcast all games.

I'm happy with TV when it’s available or nbl.tv. Hopefully we don’t lose nbl.tv

Reply #701401 | Report this post

KET  
Years ago

With hutchy buying part of Melbourne united and his affiliation with Nine this isn't a surprising move.

I suspect the Sunday morning show will be produced by crocmedia

Reply #701404 | Report this post

ME  
Years ago

"I suspected NBL TV was on the way out as last offseason they showed playoff games from the Spanish and Chinese leagues this offseason that was all gone. I doubt I will bother with the delayed games on 9's streaming service so I'll just have to take the two games on Go. "

If you're not going to bother with delayed games that's your problem, doesn't mean you aren't be given a reasonable offer.

Reply #701406 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 6:28 am, Fri 26 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754