Where's goulding???

Reply #701673 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Suspended

Reply #701676 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Lacking in the point position too. Maybe couldn't secure someone like Dellavedova to direct the offense. I guess Lisch might see some time at point.

There are issues with Goulding's game, but I think Boomers have often lacked shooters, particularly those able to create their own shot off the dribble, when other options aren't working. Goulding provides something in the rotation in that regard, and I think has better range than Sobey.

Should be fun to see how it works though. Can put a few different looks on the court from that squad.

Reply #701677 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

How does the suspension work for personnel not selected in a squad? If the games pass without their involvement, and someone else selected, is the sentence served?

Reply #701678 | Report this post

Big Ads  
Years ago

The team named is only for the game against Qatar in Doha. I expect Goulding will be named in the team to play Kazakhstan at Bendigo Stadium a few days later.

Reply #701679 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

This has got to be the C team with all the players not available or injured.

Reply #701681 | Report this post

Hogwash  
Years ago

If Goulding plays in 2nd game i m guessing Drmic will be omitted.

Reply #701683 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"Daniel had a tremendous NBL season and has been a member of the extended squad for every window - I'm pleased for him that he now comes in to the 12 and we all look forward to working with him." -Andrej Lemanis

I mean, congrats for finally selecting him but it is a straight up lie that he was part of the extended squad and DJ knows that sooooooo

Reply #701684 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Blanchfield??.. not lot form there, well done to DJ.

Reply #701687 | Report this post

hawky  
Years ago

Im really suprised at the lack of true PGs in the squad, would personally have Norton in the squad (if fit).

Congrats to DJ, ridiculous to think it has taken this long for him to get his chance.

Reply #701693 | Report this post

hawky  
Years ago

Oh wait, Norton is there. Good to see.

Reply #701695 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Norton is in the squad.

Reply #701696 | Report this post

AngusH  
Years ago

What a feel good story for Blanchfield, a guy who disappoints for 3 straight seasons and then asks to be released from his contract because the team is going to make him play minutes more in-line with his production and yet he still gets to wear the green and gold. 30 for 30-worthy stuff.

Reply #701701 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Newley and Deng Deng should be the sfs.

Reply #701702 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Why is there surprise at the lack of PGs? There are only eight starting spots in the NBL and teams generally get imports to play that position.

Reply #701703 | Report this post

PlaymakerMo  
Years ago

Cadee and Norton are suspect for different reasons, but Sobey, McCarron and Lisch can provide something. The absence of Dellavedova hurts, but I don't see an issue at PG.

Reply #701704 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Issue is we keep going for guys who have no chance of making world cups or Olympics. At least test a few youth players who have that potential.

Reply #701705 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Would have been a good time to test wmw.

Reply #701706 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I don't expect our A team, but when you look at the Euro qualifiers, so many NBA talents are playing, and much more notable ones than ours as well (Markkanen, Schroder, Valancuinas, Gobert being the biggest names but so many more). Would be nice to see some decent players playing, even if we're expected to win regardless.

Reply #701707 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Just 1 of would have been good

Wmw
Deng
Adel
Cooks
Reath
Mathiang
Landale
Humphries
Acuil

Reply #701708 | Report this post

rjd  
Years ago

Are the NBAers actually free to play in this window?

Reply #701709 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

whwt happened to jois? Where is he now?

Reply #701713 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Surprised Moller didn't get a run at the three.

Reply #701714 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

As per Channel 7 News and the segment on Creek NBA teams have to report to camp in 2 weeks. So no, they aren't available.

Reply #701716 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Not sure about that?

www.nba.com/keydates

Reply #701719 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

http://www.nba.com/key-dates

Reply #701720 | Report this post

Anonymous (he/kangaroo)  
Years ago

"ssue is we keep going for guys who have no chance of making world cups or Olympics. At least test a few youth players who have that potential.
"

The problem is that you actually have to win these games. It would be a lot of fun to just throw together a team with Tom Wilson, Tamuri Wigness, and all the exciting Sudanese kids doing the rounds to get international experience, but you'd likely lose the games, and therefore lose an opportunity to go to the World Cup. These games are qualifying series and they're not a joke from that perspective.

As for players with a chance to make the world cup, when you're dealing with solely an NBL talent pool, there aren't going to be many. Mitch McCarron, Mitch Creek (who isn't even NBL anymore) and Chris Goulding are about the extent of it. What do you suggest, have those three guys plus a bunch of athletic 16 year olds?

I don't really think you thought that comment through.

"Wmw
Deng
Adel
Cooks
Reath
Mathiang
Landale
Humphries
Acuil

"

If those guys weren't picked, you can safely assume they weren't available. The selectors aren't brain dead. They do know who is available, who isn't, and who can play at this level.

For those playing in Europe these games are likely to be during their seasons.

"What a feel good story for Blanchfield, a guy who disappoints for 3 straight seasons and then asks to be released from his contract because the team is going to make him play minutes more in-line with his production and yet he still gets to wear the green and gold. 30 for 30-worthy stuff."

Yeah, he doesn't really warrant a singlet, but once again, it depends on who is available. Assuming Newley isn't available, who else can you think of? They had to even stoop to Drmic at his position so clearly they weren't flush with options.

-

Either way, the team lacks bite. There are some good players there but they're desperately lacking an X factor. As has been mentioned on this thread before Goulding's ability to pull something out of his ass will be missed. We've seen times when C grade Boomers teams like this have looked afraid to shoot the ball and it wouldn't surprise me if we get another serving of that with this team at some point. A lot of solid role players, but no go-to guys that I can see.

Defensively they'll be okay. They're likely to have all physical attributes like size, length, athleticism and strength over the opponents. They'll probably win comfortably, but without Goulding, Kickert and Creek, I think it's fair to say this is the weakest team we've sent to qualification.

Reply #701741 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

All relevant points but it's an incredibly weak Asia zone so meh.

Reply #701742 | Report this post

PlaymakerMo  
Years ago

Yeah, let's throw some youngsters in and assume we'll win anyway. Good plan.

Reply #701743 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Squad will change before Iran Game in November.

Should see Goulding, Newley and Deng Deng in. Maybe bogut too.

Reply #701744 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 9:04 pm, Thu 25 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754