Fryz
Years ago

Ticket Prices for Boomers vs Team USA

Talk about price gouging. I was considering coming down, but not for $101 for the top of Etihad.
Price tiers: $468, 366, 285, 213, 162, 101. They're looking at packing 55-60k in there.

Topic #43790 | Report this topic

Cram  
Years ago

Yeah what happened to the $90 tickets?

Even the ones for $160 arent great. You need to spend hundreds to have halfway decent seats.

Reply #701769 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

50,000 names on a waiting list and do you think the Venue or Team USA are free?

Reply #701770 | Report this post

Cram  
Years ago

These prices are OTT though. Waiting lists are one thing. I think what you'll find is all the cheap seats will go right away and the expensive ones will linger a bit. The second cheapest option would see a family set back over $400 and still be miles from the action.

Reply #701772 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Never go to an NBA game then.

Reply #701773 | Report this post

Cram  
Years ago

And AFL clubs make a profit on the venue with half the tickets at $25, so don't tell me that you need to charge hundreds for each seat because its an expensive venue.

Reply #701774 | Report this post

Cram  
Years ago

"Never go to an NBA game then"

I've been to a lot of NBA games actually. And because they're played in basketball stadiums, the viewing lines are all better than all but the most expensive seats you'll see at Marvel stadium for these games. Even then, at most NBA arenas $100 will get you lower bowl and $160 very good seats.

Reply #701776 | Report this post

Fryz  
Years ago

Agree. If you've paid $450 for a ticket to an NBA game you've been ripped. Got courtside at a Lakers game with food and drink included for US$130.
Surely not paying for Team USA to come out, it's an international friendly. Unless you've got any sources stating otherwise?

Reply #701777 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

When ordering they don't actually show you where the seat is.
The seating map is terrible.
Anyone got a better seating map that actually shows the sections

Reply #701778 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Cram many AFL Clubs don't make a profit from their home games. And they don't have to pay for International Superstars to be flown overseas and put up along with their entourage.

Reply #701779 | Report this post

Rohan  
Years ago

anyone actually manage to get tickets? ticketmaster / visa checkout not playing the game for me...

Reply #701780 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Absolute joke and now I'm signed up to some other bullshit company that has all my details.

Who's coming to Beijing with me?

Reply #701781 | Report this post

Cram  
Years ago

AFL teams not making a profit at Etihad is because they didn't get the crowds needed, not because the ticket prices are too low.

Reply #701783 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

$US160.This is at a footy arena and by inference will cost more than a dedicated bball venue. Viewing I would imagine will be crap. A raised floor?

Reply #701787 | Report this post

Io70  
Years ago

I'm on the waiting list and was going to go along with my Son. Ultimately, the cost is just prohibitive. Travel & accomodation etc.. are one thing, but to then have to fork out exorbitant prices for the tickets as well is just too much.

Given we don't know which US players will actually play (and if it is the very best team, or team 2 or 3 or 5) it is a very expensive risk.

Sadly I have to leave it and not go. I don't think I will be alone.

Reply #701789 | Report this post

LC  
Years ago

What we do know for certain is that it will be the best teams available from both the USA and australia as they will be fielding their FIBA World Cup teams which start 1 week later in China. This is the last official hit out for both side sbefore the World Cup!

Reply #701795 | Report this post

Fryz  
Years ago

You should've received an email from Visa Checkout for the presale that takes you directly there. Seemed like it was working for me this morning: https://bit.ly/2PqIB2q

Reply #701801 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

So the issue was when inputting your details anyone who had their phone listed as +614 instead of +6104 had problems. Since when do you put that 0 in there?

"What we do know for certain is that it will be the best teams available from both the USA and australia as they will be fielding their FIBA World Cup teams which start 1 week later in China. This is the last official hit out for both side sbefore the World Cup!"

I'm not sure how you know this for certain...

Reply #701803 | Report this post

Hendo8888  
Years ago

Best teams available doesn't necessarily mean best teams possible.

Reply #701811 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Also doesn't mean,

"they will be fielding their FIBA World Cup teams"

Wouldn't be surprised if they a few players to China early or even stay back in USA and leave for China less than a week out so they are acclimatised.

Reply #701824 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Will more tickets be made available in the next pre sale or public opening? I found a seat right by the boundary but I can't picture getting a good view from there as I won’t be elevated from the people sitting on the field.

Reply #701834 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

#824, you might be right, but I think it's unlikely. Since Athens, USA Basketball has been heavily committed to the culture of the program and will not want to move from the Coach K era to the Pop era by reversing that trend. I would be very surprised if they allow players to opt out of warm up games. Doesn't mean the selected team will be particularly impressive.

Reply #701854 | Report this post

James  
Years ago

Wow you idiots really going to complain about prices?! It's going to be 2 of the best international teams in the world and this HAS never happened here in Australia before.
Can you imagine 60,000 people chanting DEFENSE as USA bring the ball up the court?!

Reply #701855 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

It's standard on here James - people on Hoops always complain about prices. Most seem to be poor.

Reply #701862 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I'm a big hoops fan but im still on the fence with buying a ticket. I just cant see how you can get a decent view of it unless you are on the field. Theres tickets for the lower level but $380 to not be able to see the game but be there for defense chants is a bit much.

Reply #701867 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

Up in the stands is probably a better view than on the field anyway. Something like wrestling is bad enough past the second or third row, but for something where the floor markings are going to be relevant even those rows won't have a great view.

Reply #701870 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

No money in Adelaide confirmed. Luckily this is in Melbourne.

Reply #701881 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I think I'd prefer to watch it at home with the mates.

Reply #701886 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Who has been to the wrestling or UFC at Etihad? That is probably a good comparison. What were the seats like on the field, lower level and upper levels?

Without elevation I don't see how people on the field will get a good view and with elevation the people on the field will be blocking the view of the lowere level. And then the second and third level I'd imagine are way too far away. Picture watching the footy in the centre field from those levels.

Reply #701890 | Report this post

njc  
Years ago

Fryz can you get my court side Lakers tickets for me next time I'm in the USA?? Never in my life have I heard of anything being remotely close to $130 with food and drink included and I've been to roughly 20 games

Reply #701919 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I got Lakers tickets once for $250 each in a skybox (VIP box with lesther seats up high). It all depends on time of year.

Reply #701920 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

leather*

Reply #701921 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

and the opposition, and the quality of the W-L at the time and the mid-week games are always cheaper.

Reply #701922 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Can you imagine 59000 people wanting their money back after not being able too see the game!

Reply #701927 | Report this post

Fryz  
Years ago

Kobe was injured and it was against the Lebron-less Cavs (2013). Picked em up on resale. Just lucky I guess.

Reply #701928 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Telstra pre-sale on tomorrow, hoping they have some decent allocations.

Reply #701931 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

so do people think you will be able to see if sitting on ground level, if not in first sections? im guessing court be raised a bit. but still. its just flat. get some tall guy in front of you and your stuffed lol

i think best seats are lower lever side but need to be up bit not first few rows.
they $366 seems alot. then level 2 same price side on. but further away but higher. so better view. ive sat there for footy. its still far away from center.
i think level 3 is a waist of time they should be all like $50.
cheapest is $100 right up top lol

Reply #701935 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I'm gonna aim for level 1 tickets.

Reply #701938 | Report this post

Annonz  
Years ago

I got level 1 tickets yesterday on the Visa pre-sale. I have concerns about the view but i think just being there for the atmosphere and experience will be worth it. I guess its pricey but a once in a lifetime opportunity to see that sort of US talent in Aus. Now just have to wait 12 months.

Reply #701941 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

its interesting how they have priced it. ground level close lots.
then you out a bit on ground level and they 160. they almost saying view will not be great.

Reply #701944 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Yeah, I don't mind the pricing so much as I mind not knowing what you're paying for because there's no clear indication of the seating configuration.

And NBA tickets are a pointless comparison. We paid $100/head for floor seats for a Warriors/Trailblazers game when Patty was still in Portland, but both teams were pretty average at that point so not hard to get cheap tix. Plenty of NBA games you can just buy nosebleed seats and wander down to good empty seats by halftime. There are thousands of NBA games played in the US every season and 41 played in every city with a team. This is two games, and who knows when it will happen again?

Reply #701945 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Ive held out on tickets. I'll see what the next release has. Too much unknown on the view in those middle and lower sections. For anyone who has been to etihad to watch the footy from several spots you would share the same concern about the view. The reason NBA stadiums work is that every section in elevated from the previous and the rows do not go far back. how does that work if you can't elevate the lower level and the rows go back 200m.

Reply #701948 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

It doesn't

Reply #701955 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

does anyone know how many rows are in the A section on ground?

Reply #701971 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Not sure what you mean by section A. There is a virtual viewer on the etihad site.

Does anyone know how to access telstra pre sale. ive logged in on the telstra page- now what?

Reply #702005 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Imagine playing an elite basketball game in the middle of an AFL ground, they should have just thrown a tarp over the top of the G and played there. Even better play the damn game at the Philippine Arena, we could make a holiday out of it and get into a punch on.

Reply #702012 | Report this post

Coach_Al  
Years ago

Are the games against other nations (from memory Lithuania, France, Serbia, Argentina,etc) still going ahead?

Reply #702022 | Report this post

Fryz  
Years ago

https://www.telstra.com.au/thanks/sport/boomers

Wait until 11am AEST tomorrow and the "Coming Soon" next to each game will turn into a log in link.

Reply #702029 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Thanks Fryz

Reply #702039 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

telstra one no good tickets. plus i think they put tickets prices up in some sections too from the visa presale.

Reply #702061 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I just ended up getting level 3 tickets for $91 each. Pretty certain I'm going to Beijing so got these on the off chance I can't get tickets to the World Champs.

Reply #702063 | Report this post

PersonalFoul  
Years ago

I like to the close to the action that basketball games give you, never been a believer in bigger is always better from stadiums to crowds.

Pleased we have secured the event, pleased the USA team is coming out, might try and see if they have a open training session or fan event but will give it a miss based on cost for me and visual at such a big stadium.

Reply #702066 | Report this post

ME (he/kangaroo)  
Years ago

The ticketing to these games has been completely mismanaged and they probably should never have started selling packages before they knew the configuration of the stadium. I bought Fans MVP tickets within the first few weeks of them being released, thinking I'd be assured half decent seats. I looked at comparably priced seats in the pre-sales and felt confident I'd end up with floor seats. But when I messaged VIP Now about the MVP seats to get a gauge of what exactly a "gold" ticket entitles you to, seeing as there is no designated gold area, they replied that MVP tickets will be places across multiple levels on the floor and in the grandstand. So basically, you could pay $300 for a very good ticket, or a very bad ticket. But don't worry about that, apparently, because there will be screens everyone!

If I wanted to watch the game from a screen I could have spent 300 dollars on alcohol and stayed at home.

And add to the that the fact that the available maps still don't designate most of the sections in the building. Note to Basketball Australia, TEG LIVE, and VIP NOW: People are going to fucking care where they're seated!

But regardless, the event is worth going to if you can afford it. It is still going to be the biggest games of basketball ever played in Australia. It is still going to be Team USA. It is still going to be perhaps the greatest Australian team ever assembled. It will be the fans that help make this a spectacular event and I do think as many of us who can go, should. But I am going to be very angry if I have spent 1200 for 2 tickets to each game for it to turn out I am seated the same as someone who spent far less.

Reply #702074 | Report this post

LV  
Years ago

At the end of the day, this is a basketball game in a footy stadium.

No one's going to have a great view! Pretty much any seat at any basketball stadium's going to be better than the majority of the seats at Etihad.

I'm not going to watch the game. I'm going so I'll be able to tell the grandkids I was there the day Patty Mills, Ingles, Bogut et al went up against James Harden and co!

This is also why I got the "cheap" seats on level 3.

Reply #702078 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Grandkids: "Who?"

Reply #702082 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

https://kpt.com.au/wp-content/uploads/2018/06/Stadium-Map-Final.png

seating plan

Reply #702086 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

also you cant seem to get a junior or concession ticket anywhere close.
they all up on level 3.

Reply #702111 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Are ticket sales going really badly? Today I've gotten emails for pre-sale "specials" from all over the place. Not even basketball related places but Telstra as well

Reply #702117 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The seating plan is an improvement on the absolutely nothing that was available previously, but the complete lack of information about elevation through the stands on the 'floor' level still makes it really hard to gauge what's a half-decent ticket.

From the rendering on the etihad site here: https://etihadstadium.com.au/boomers_v_usabasketball/ it looks like the outer ring on ground level is the usual stadium seating, albeit moved forward as Etihad has the capability to do. But that would mean that everything between that ring and the court is, effectively, on the field, and one would think virtually flat. So the 'floor' seating will struggle to offer a view for all the bodies between you and the court. But L1 tickets will be 40-60m from the court and with that many people sitting straight in front of you. And L2/L3 tickets are going to be 60-100m away from the court, and that's just horizontally, so will struggle to offer a view because of distance.

I think there are going to be some people forking out for $450 tickets who are very unimpressed with what's on offer!

Reply #702186 | Report this post

ME (he/kangaroo)  
Years ago

"Are ticket sales going really badly? Today I've gotten emails for pre-sale "specials" from all over the place. Not even basketball related places but Telstra as well"

No. There was always going to be these different pre-sales at different times leading into official release on the 29th.

Reply #702189 | Report this post

ME (he/kangaroo)  
Years ago

I wouldn't be surprised though if ticket prices started to drop if they weren't selling but I believe the games will pack out.

Reply #702192 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

anyone buy in pre sale? or sitting on the fence?

question to people. you think a 275 ticket on ground is better than 275 level 1 and 2 ticket?

Reply #702332 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

i feel like anything below the $275 are not great. they have ground for 200 and 152 maybe side on. just not sure if can see great.

Reply #702334 | Report this post

ME (he/kangaroo)  
Years ago

I was supposed to be emailed my MVP ticket allocation before the general sale begins on the 29th. It's now the 28th, and they still haven't emailed it to me. What the hell is this shit? They seem to have a funny concept of what "before" means.

Reply #702430 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

im waiting on my mvp ticket too. they better not be grandstand tickets either as there is floor seats that are cheaper! it definitely hasnt been handled the best thats for sure.

Reply #702436 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

if this was at rod laver i would have paid the big bucks. but at footy stadium no. im thinking 200 on ground maybe. but i cant get kids tickets there. only in the silver i think. not sure why cant get a family ticket either. its pretty poor.

Reply #702449 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Well, no Diamond or Premium tickets available through basketball family presale for the Saturday game at this stage, so they're obviously selling well enough.

It is extremely disappointing that people have spent $300 on what was sold as an 'MVP Fan Package' only to find that they're going to end up with $150 seats and $150 worth of meaningless paraphernalia they don't want or care about. The lack of transparency throughout the process will not have endeared BA to anyone, so I hope the $$ they're making is worth the loss of goodwill.

Reply #702454 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

anyone know how many rows on ground? like the a to z in each section?
trying work out if should try for the 150 ground ones
at least i can get kids seats here.

someone told me be about 45 meters from court.
might be hard for kids to see or short people lol which is me.

Reply #702492 | Report this post

Very Old  
Years ago

" The lack of transparency throughout the process will not have endeared BA to anyone, so I hope the $$ they're making is worth the loss of goodwill."

BA has goodwill from someone ????

Reply #702520 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

are people gonna buy today? im 50/50.

did they even do a trial run with a court on area?
ive been looking a pics video of UFC at etihad.
its seems you cant see much.

why they put them on sale a year early?
what if players get injured before dont play?

its not rock concert.

Reply #702529 | Report this post

ME (he/kangaroo)  
Years ago

Ok, NOW I'm pissed. So I found out my ticket is L3 11, E and another in the same vicinity. So basically, I paid top dollar for something people are paying half of that for. What a fucking joke. I don't even think it qualifies for the gold section. I feel like instead of allocating MVP fans first, they waited for all the presales before bothering.

Reply #702538 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

i bet the other people buying these tickets are Asians
USA team will rock up to play in AUS and 80% fans will be Asian, just like at msac lol :P jokes

Reply #702539 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

to people who never been to etihad stadium. i wouldn't bother buying tickets on level 3, you wont see much lol level 2 maybe side on. dont buy behind basket be terrible.

Reply #702540 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

well also level one behind basket. no good either i reckon.
its risk on all tickets really lol

Reply #702541 | Report this post

ME (he/kangaroo)  
Years ago

It's going to be an honor and privilege to even be there, but for fucks fucking sake, I feel like they've completely screwed the Fans MVP buyers, who bought months in advance and spent a fair amount of money. There are people paying much less for better tickets that's for damn sure.

Reply #702544 | Report this post

Big Sexy  
Years ago

Just received my allocation for my MVP fan package and have got a lot better seats (on the ground) for that than I could purchase for the second game (second tier)

Reply #702603 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

im surprised people brought these. well for the prices. you ant gonna see shit. they really cashed in on this. who the money go to? basketball Australia?

Reply #702638 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Definitely seem to be selling well, floor seats sold out for both games and best seats and cheapest tix all gone for Saturday. Those mid-range ones will be tougher to move, I think, with $200 for a pretty terrible view not as appealing as $90 just to be in the building.

But for all that it hasn't been well-implemented, BA seem to have judged that the appetite would be there despite the prices. Hopefully the money goes to something useful.

Reply #702682 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

i couldnt get any good seats i wanted. i'll wait til next year.
im sure people end up selling cause they cant go.
give me more time to save for better seat lol

Reply #702685 | Report this post

ME (he/kangaroo)  
Years ago

To be fair, there are probably going to be a lot of people on the ground seeing a lot less than those on higher tiers. And I think you're probably doing okay for yourself if you're central to the sideline. If you're in the higher levels but on the sides opposite the baseline, I really feel for you.

Reply #702692 | Report this post

ME (he/kangaroo)  
Years ago

"But for all that it hasn't been well-implemented, BA seem to have judged that the appetite would be there despite the prices. Hopefully the money goes to something useful.

"

Yeah like paying to ensure Ben Simmons' contract so he can play lol.

Reply #702693 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 3:10 pm, Thu 25 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754