Zodiac
Years ago

Greatest NBL team of all-time?

An excellent discussion piece on the NBL's site asking if this Sydney Kings team is the greatest team in NBL history and if not who was?

I won't what the journos & legends have to say just their picks.

Liam Santamaria - 2007 Bullets

Shane Heal - 2019 Kings

Boti Nagy - 2017 Wildcats

Andrew Gaze - 1993 Tigers

John Casey - 1986 36ers

CJ Bruton - 2013 Breakers

http://nbl.com.au/news/article/43403-which-nbl-team-is-the-greatest-of-all-time

John Casey as is often the case on the money for mine.

Topic #43793 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

On paper it would have to be the 2019 Kings.......but we all know the game is not played on paper and they haven't played a NBL game yet. After that, i think I would go with the 2013 Breakers. Given that CJ played in both the 2007 Bullets (highly fancied), and he rates the Breakers as Number 1....i think that is good reason.

Reply #701871 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Boti going with '17 Cats, wow. I'd rate the '14 Cats a better team. Surprised he went with a Perth team

Reply #701872 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

Gaze must have misunderstood the question.

Not convinced by the argument for the 2013 Breakers, either. I wouldn't even have them as the best of the Breakers' three-peat teams.

Reply #701873 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

^agreed. I think the 2011/12 Breakers with Wilkinson were better.

Reply #701874 | Report this post

proud  
Years ago

I remember the feeling I got when North Melbourne and South East Melbourne merged to form Victoria Titans and how the Magic were getting D-Mac... ultimately it lead to grand final losses and nothing more significant and their roster was only 8-9 deep but my memory of all that was that they'd be unstoppable and I've never felt like a team would be so dominant again.

I think the Sydney Kings and even Melbourne United suffer from the fact that the competition is so strong so their dominance will be greatly reduced and perception will decrease as season progresses.

It's a fun argument but will beaten grand final sides ever be thought of as being great ie West Sydney Razorbacks that lost in 5 games, had that been different could they be remembered more favourably?
Same with North Melbourne Giants of 1995, won game 1 and lost the remaining 2 but they were great and Chris Jent was an incredible talent.

Reply #701875 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Boti has officially lost it.

Reply #701877 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Lost the plot, that is.

Reply #701878 | Report this post

AD  
Years ago

WTF?
How can a team, that is yet to play a game, be regarded as the greatest in History?

As for Gaze, is he now making fun of his own stupidity by deliberately talking shit?

2007 Bullets definitely the most stacked, and I feel the most dominant.

But for mine, it would be the 2014 Wildcats with Ennis, and Beal at his best.

Reply #701883 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I don't understand the hate on Gaze, The Tigers came back that year after losing to Magic on 92.
I guess it does look a bit silly to toot your own horn.
Kings in the early 00s were pretty unstoppable.

Reply #701884 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

I don't understand the hate on Gaze, The Tigers came back that year after losing to Magic on 92.
If "won a championship the year after losing a grand final" is your criterion, you have a nine-way tie for the greatest team of all time between the 1985 Bullets, 1986 Sixers, 1987 Bullets, 1989 Giants, 1992 Magic, 1993 Tigers, 1997 Tigers, 2008 Tigers, and 2014 Wildcats.

Reply #701885 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

@koberulz , yeah definitely if its just on 1 title. I guess Gaze thinks that 93 Tigers team could beat all other teams though.
It's sort of a silly argument basing it on one year. What about longevity, titles in a row, minimal changes to roster, those need to be factored in too.

Reply #701887 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Breakers 2013 team went 28-4, they definitely deserve to be in the equation.

Reply #701893 | Report this post

Hogwash  
Years ago

Naming a team as best ever before a game is even played is over the top.
Melbourne are a good chance to win in 18/19.
Though not the best team I remember Tigers in 97 were near bottom of the ladder before swapping Jarvis Lang for Marcus Timmons they would go on to win title that year.

Reply #701896 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Its like question should be greatest saeson of all time.

Reply #701897 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Heal talks about the unbelievable depth of the Kings team, saying "the list keeps going on" but doesn't discuss anyone beyond the starting five.

Reply #701900 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The 1995 Perth Wildcats were a pretty good side:
Cattalini, Crawford, Fisher, Grace, Hansen, Stewart, Trahair, Vlahov

Reply #701905 | Report this post

Haz  
Years ago

Of the 8 championships Perth has won, Boti picks the worst one of them all as the best of all time?

Did he forget that the 15-13 wildcats had the worst regular season record in history to win a title, beating a 15-13 Hawks team that was probably one of the worst opponents in a GF and they only won it on the back of Adelaide's stunning choke and end of season recruit in Bryce Cotton.

Although in his write up he barely mentions that team at all, which is odd.

Reply #701906 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Boti - it's time to retire. You're past it. Wildcats 2017 bwahahahahahahha.

Reply #701914 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Single season teams that come to mind are '86 Sixers, '07 Bullets, and '13 Breakers.

Teams over time, Perth during the 90s, Kings in the early-00s, and Tigers later on that decade, Breakers in early-10s, and Perth during the teens.

As another poster mentioned, '97 Tigers w/ Timmons were scary. Honourable mention to Dragons championship team as well.

And '88 Supercats... Obviously.

Reply #701925 | Report this post

LV  
Years ago

86 36ers and 2007 Bullets are hard to split.

I didn't see the 36ers, but the numbers are ridiculous, so I'll go with them by a hair.

1997 Tigers aren't far off either. Gaze, Copeland, Bradtke and Timmons all in their primes- nice! Won 17 games in a row, I think it was? Including one 111-74 walloping of the Magic in Game 1 of the finals.

Reply #701926 | Report this post

Vic Wildcat  
Years ago

For the Wildcats are best performing team was 91, went 26-5 for the season.

They would have to be in top 3 teams IMO.

Reply #701933 | Report this post

Udog  
Years ago

I'll always have fond memories of the 86 36ers. Great players and such an exciting team to watch every time they hit the floor.

Reply #701939 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Adelaide 1986
Brisbane 2007
Cairns N/A
Illawarra 2001
Melbourne 1997
Perth 1991
NZ 2012/13
Sydney 2003

Reply #701951 | Report this post

AD  
Years ago

Depends on how you define greatest of all time.
For mine, that implies comparatives across time, which makes it hard on the older teams. Yes, they dominated the leagues of their day, but how do they stack up against modern teams.

Why the hate on Gaze? Because he named a team that finished 2nd and won the GF in, at best, "controversial" fashion.
Not disputing that they won the championship that year, but to say they are the greatest of all time is laughable.

"The 1995 Perth Wildcats were a pretty good side"
Yes, for the 90's they were stacked. Smashed the Giants in the first quarter of the GF, ran the bench for the last, went on to beat Real Madrid.

Reply #701957 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"Breakers 2013 team went 28-4, they definitely deserve to be in the equation."

Yeah, but the 2012/13 season was weak as piss. The Wildcats that season were not as good as 2011/12. The '12 Breakers and '12 Wildcats were both better teams than the next season

Reply #701959 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

hahaha good one Boti - i'd go to say the 2016 wildcats were better than 2017

Reply #701960 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

1995 Wildcats. They won bronze at the Club World Championships.

Reply #701966 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

The 2012/13 season was strong. Gold Coast, the 3rd placed team from the year before, had just dropped out and most of their players went to other clubs in the league.

Reply #701969 | Report this post

Camel 31  
Years ago

most likely 1986 36ers , arithmetically speaking...

Reply #701978 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Ahhh yes, the 'Invincibles'......who lost a couple of games.

Reply #701979 | Report this post

Camel 31  
Years ago

won all games by big margins .... history became a lie 2 games 'lost' on time clock errors

Reply #701980 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

The 1995 Perth Wildcats were a pretty good side:
Cattalini, Crawford, Fisher, Grace, Hansen, Stewart, Trahair, Vlahov
Cattalini and Hansen were never on the same team.

The 95 Wildcats started strong, but the were only six and a half deep.

The 2012/13 season was strong. Gold Coast, the 3rd placed team from the year before, had just dropped out and most of their players went to other clubs in the league.
Six of the eight teams lost more games than they won.

Reply #701982 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

2012-13 was poor. Hate people on here who constantly perpetrate the myth that early-2010s were good. They were trash and an all time low point for the league.

Reply #702001 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"Six of the eight teams lost more games than they won."

Such a simplistic way to judge standard. You do realise they were all playing against each other?

Reply #702006 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Why the 2006 Tigers team is not on this list? Broke Sydneys reign of a 4 peat. Just saying

Reply #702007 | Report this post

proud  
Years ago

The team the Breakers had when they first won a championship is deceiving on paper as we have seen a much larger body of work from Abercrombie and Pledger so we immediately think 'wow they are deep' but they were still getting minor minutes and weren't stars Yet and that is why all these arguments are fun because when we look back retrospectively we look at a players career as a whole and whether they were a star or not and their best season won't necessarily be that championship year.

That is why I feel it should go on gut instinct and who you feared the most when you were playing them next.

That's why I say a Brian Goorjian led Magic team are mine without giving specific year as they were awesome in 1993 and by 1995/96 they had Anstey, McKinnon, Smith, Drmic coming through and it clouds how great they were as they were stacked and stealing court time from each other.

Reply #702034 | Report this post

Udog  
Years ago

I agree that the Breakers had most success in the worst period in NBL history. Hard to know how to place them.

Reply #702064 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

That Breakers team were clutch. So many away games won by really close margins.

Reply #702083 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Worst period in the NBL was 1979-1996. Once league went down to 11 teams it started to become a serious comp, and hasn't really looked back since, even though there has been some fluctuation.

Re Breakers, there run of grand finals went from 2011 to 2016 with only one year missing, to pretend they only succeeded in a down time is poor memory.

Reply #702114 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"Worst period in the NBL was 1979-1996."

Wow, you're dumb!

Reply #702126 | Report this post

rjd  
Years ago

Depending on the criteria used, I'm not sure that is such an outrageous statement. The 1980s and 1990s saw more teams with less quality local talent, resulting in diluted talent on teams. The dominance of imports can be a good indicator of this, with the lack of depth of local talent allowing for some ridiculously dominant imports. There have obviously been times when it was easier to attract top talent due to exchange rates, season timing etc, but generally speaking, the quality of imports in the 1980s and early 1990s wasn't so much different to later periods.

Doesn't depth matter? Gaze's choice, the 1993 Tigers, had Gaze and Copeland in prime form, alongside near-prime Bradtke, with an average import in Simmons, with very little depth beyond that. As awesome as the Gaze-Copeland duo was, you then look at the 5th starter and bench with Giddey, Sibling, Gordon and Whitehead who may not even make rosters these days. That's just about their whole team listed, an 8 player rotation listed. The others on the roster simply wouldn't make a 2000s+ roster.

I can't judge the 1986 36ers, just know about their dominance, but what was the standard of competition at that time?

Reply #702152 | Report this post

Camel 31  
Years ago

Pretty good standard if my memory serves me well
brisbane had loggins sengstock bruton and etc....

Reply #702181 | Report this post

Udog  
Years ago

I've been watching since 1979. 2011-2016? I wish I could forget. The Breakers only had to contend with Perth. Everyone else was too busy trying not to go bankrupt.

Reply #702225 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

UDog nailed it. Anyone who tries to contend that the 2011-2016 era was any good, especially the 12/13 season when there were two decent teams and everyone else was trash, clearly has no idea about basketball.

Reply #702228 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"Cattalini and Hansen were never on the same team."

Good old Kobe Wallah, never misses a chance to put somebody down, even when it means making an ass of himself.

In 1995 Hansen was used as an injury replacement for Scott Fisher, thereby playing on the same team as Cattalini.

"The 95 Wildcats started strong, but the were only six and a half deep"

They had Cattalini and Stewart on the bench, that's a kick-arse 7-man rotation.

Reply #702260 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

One of the shortest but talented rotations ever.

Reply #702263 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

"The 95 Wildcats started strong, but the were only six and a half deep"

They had Cattalini and Stewart on the bench, that's a kick-arse 7-man rotation.
Cattalini was a rookie, thus the half. And after that their best option was Matt Earp.

In 1995 Hansen was used as an injury replacement for Scott Fisher, thereby playing on the same team as Cattalini.
When discussing the best team of all time, it's generally assumed we're discussing teams on a whole-season basis, not something that happened literally once ever.

Reply #702264 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Come on now, Matt Earp hit a half court buzzer beater that one time. Legend.

Reply #702265 | Report this post

UseTaHoop  
Years ago

But did he once score 4 touchdowns in a High School game?

Reply #702268 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"Cattalini was a rookie, thus the half. And after that their best option was Matt Earp"

Wrong again, Cattalini was in his third season, and was already playing big minutes, as part of a 4-man frontcourt rotation.
Beyond the big 7, Ryan Gairdiner was a capable relief PG.

"When discussing the best team of all time, it's generally assumed we're discussing teams on a whole-season basis,"

But that's not what you said.
Were you not always so quick to put somebody down, you could have checked and said "Hansen wasn't part of the regular team," or "wasn't part of the GF winning team," or "Was only only an injury replacement."
But you didn't, you had to be a smart arse and claim "Cattalini and Hansen were never on the same team."

So not only were you an ass, you were wrong, an ass again, and wrong about being wrong.

Reply #702410 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

Wrong again, Cattalini was in his third season, and was already playing big minutes, as part of a 4-man frontcourt rotation.
I always get him and Trahair mixed up in terms of debut years. And of course he was playing big minutes, the next guy in line was...Jason Thompson?

The fact remains, they had a decent first seven but after that the quality didn't so much rapidly decline as fall off a cliff. Look at the minutes distributions of that season.

But you didn't, you had to be a smart arse and claim "Cattalini and Hansen were never on the same team."
Context is a thing. The fact that Hansen played a game for the Wildcats in 1995 doesn't mean in any meaningful sense that he was on the 1995 Wildcats team.

Reply #702413 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 8:03 am, Thu 25 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754