Anonymous
Years ago

Greatest ABL/PL title teams

Was having a debate with a friend about some of the best recent ABL/Premier League title teams. I only recall back to around 2000 so let's use that as a cut off.

I thought the 07 Rockets with Dusty and prime Buffon were the best I could remember. My friend argued both 2016 and 2018 Tigers would beat them.

I think one of Forestville three peat sides with Rashad would be close too.

What do people think? Are the recent champions up there with teams of 5-10 years ago?

Topic #43794 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

none of these teams compare to the steams from the late 80s and 90s when BASA forced 36ers and local WNBL players to all play in the State League mid-week.

Reply #701898 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Have to agree with anon #701898

South Adelaide 90s for instance- Scott Ninnis, Rob Rose, Shane Ahmatt, Mark Davis

Reply #701901 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I thought Rob Rose played at Forestville?

Reply #701903 | Report this post

FYI  
Years ago

Most ABA players today wouldn't make a state league squad in the 80's early 90's

Most teams had 2 current NBL players plus 2/3 ex NBL players

Guys were getting recruited from state league to other NBL teams due to the log jam of talent at the 36ers

Ron Nunnelly who scored 85 in a SEABL game played at Murray Bridge / Woodville

There was even an NBA first round draft pick running around as well as an import.

There were current Olympians playing in the competition like Bradtke, Pearce ,McKay alongside NBL veterans like Rick Hodges and Andy Amberg

Reply #701904 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

also remembering that the Adelaide buffalos won the SEABL title thru that era as well. with the second string aussies.ha ha
kubank,ninnis,simmons,rule,sexton . always remember the jumping jack from sturt ( left handed ) athletic as shit. jeff hayes,john Wesley.
not sure if youngsters d. Johnson,matt reece ,miegel,noack ,joynes.were involved.

Reply #701908 | Report this post

FYI  
Years ago

1987 Buffalos

Spear
Ninnis
Sexton
Hayes and the late J Wesley as imports
Drizners
Rule
Jason Wheeler perhaps

cant recall the others

Reply #701910 | Report this post

BobnCat  
Years ago

I would say Mid to late 80's West Adelaide Bearcat teams. That was an NBL team with players like Ali, Wood, McKay, Loggins & Green as starters with Spear, Parsons, Rennie & co coming off the bench. Also earlier Maddiford, Thiele, Mules and Daw part of those teams.

Reply #701942 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

So I think there's no argument the 80s and some of the 90s were the halcyon days of state league, but since 2000 or so, do the more recent champions stack up with the best?

Reply #701943 | Report this post

FYI  
Years ago

not even close

Reply #701946 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Would be hard to go past the 90s Noarlunga team. Jeanette, Simpson, Dwayne Nelson?, Osbourne, Lever etc. Not sure how many titles they won but they were pick of that decade.

Reply #701947 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

90's line ups boasted every 36er, ex 36ers, Adelaide Buffaloes as well as imports .
Some teams that come to mind were -
West - Mike Mckay, Willie Simmons, Chris Blakemore, Matt Scalzi, David Spear
South - Mark Davis, Scott Ninnis, Brett Wheeler, Ron Nunnerly, Shane Ahmat
North - Martin Cattalini, Nathan Hawkes, Billy Fikes, Tim Brenton

Am sure there were more crazy lineups, was good hoops back then and reckon they would have taken today's champs.

Reply #702027 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The move to summer NBL really fcked state league quality up. :(

Reply #702052 | Report this post

shot  
Years ago

At about the same time AFL was ramping up its popularity with new teams , at least thats my view .

Reply #702180 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 8:04 pm, Wed 24 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754