Apharrel
Years ago

Can we talk about "First Ever"

Firstly, it's a horrible name for a brand.

Secondly, the premise makes sense. NBL produces their own apparel which they can then use to make apparel for their 3 on 3 stuff etc.

Thirdly, the execution is shit.

It's the same material jerseys as previous years with the "First Ever" logo on it instead of Mitchell & Ness. There's literally nothing special about it.

The designs, we can talk about that on Monday. But the Breakers 18/19 jersey looks average. Again, the idea is right, but the execution is shit. Sponsor logos on shoulders are too large. Bumper sticker sponsor logo is too low. No integration with any of the design elements. They've incorporated tribal insignia, which is nice, but again, nothing new.

Options for branding - like I mentioned, the theory behind 'First Ever' is admirable. But surely the league being sponsored by one of the major sport brands (Nike/Jordan Brand, Adidas, Under Armour, Puma) would add more credibility to the league.

And I wonder if Nike approached the league and said "we want to sponsor the league" how quickly will we never hear of First Ever again?

In my opinion, it just feels cheap that the league is making a big deal out of 'First Ever' when really, it's just an entity organising apparel production produced by the same manufacturers that have produced NBL jerseys for the last few seasons.

As many of us would agree, the NBL jersey design and branding has been one of the league's weakest and poorly executed points for the last five years. I'm hoping they get it right this year, but the Breakers jersey reveal doesn't leave me with much optimism.

First Ever also produced some of the Team Australia apparel form earlier this year. Again this stuff was average at best. The neck lines on the training jerseys were terrible.

TL;DR - First Ever is just a front to get LK jr some experience on his CV. Apparel is the same quality and manufactured by the same companies as before and designs haven't improved.

Topic #43805 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

Where can we see the new Breakers jersey's? I looked on their Facebook but only some pics in training jersey's.

Reply #702089 | Report this post

KET  
Years ago

Reply #702091 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Looks like a tank top rather than a playing jersey.

Fully agree with OP's post too, well said.

Reply #702092 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I agree that First Ever is a step in the wrong direction for LK

In most other areas he seems to be aiming for a very professional approach but this is amateur hour which is a shame because it is a very visible part of the product

Reply #702093 | Report this post

NBL Fan  
Years ago

The arm holes and neckline look exactly the same as last year. You'd think they'd make it tighter or more 'high performance'. Looks baggy and ugly as is right now.

Reply #702094 | Report this post

Hanging Round  
Years ago

Bugger- I thought you were talking about something else

Reply #702095 | Report this post

Smith  
Years ago

Leeches!

Reply #702096 | Report this post

KET  
Years ago

What's the sponsor logo?

I’m curious about the breakers style that goes against their original logo font

Reply #702101 | Report this post

Apharrel  
Years ago

SkyCity is the breakers naming right sponsor. That means they get to have the biggest bumper sticker on the jersey.

Breaks jersey is very simlar to years past.

Key differences:
- Tribal insignia on FRONT of the jersey and only half way. This is pretty cool and a nice touch I must say.

- Font for "Breakers" is new.

- Both the bumper sticker and Breakers text stretch too far across the "chest" (width) of the jersey.

In response to other posters

- I agree this is a step backwards. The glaring reason is it is blatantly obvious this is a hand out for Kestleman jnr to "make his mark" as a CEO. There's no "wow" factor about First Ever for fans. What point of difference are they offering fans/customers that want custom jerseys for their social teams?

- I'm all for the NBL pushing their brand, using marquee news items like "Bogut" for all their news items, but First Ever just seems odd and sub-par.

- Everything LK has done so far has been pretty faultless. And the league is in a great spot because of it. But First Ever just doesn't seem to fit in at all.

- I want the league to prosper, I could care less about First Ever. Give me a name brand so I know we are getting "quality". Yes - I understand name brands aren't always representative of "quality", but they are name brands and there's a sense of exclusivity and quality that comes with it.

Reply #702102 | Report this post

Apharrel  
Years ago

Also may I add - I find the brand name "First Ever" to be completely unoriginal, inspiring, interesting or relevant to what they do.

Ok, they "claim" they are the first ever to do something, but it's only because the major owners already owned the league.

Reply #702104 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

First Ever is going to be all about supplying junior clubs across the country. The NBL is adding credibility to First Ever, rather than First Ever adding credibility to the NBL.

Reply #702106 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

This issue with poor apparel and crap team logos remains despite being in the LK era. A real shame.

Reply #702123 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

What is that logo with the red chair in it???

Reply #702124 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Barstool Sports

Reply #702129 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Oh of course. Nice!

Reply #702131 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

I just want the league to shift away from every team redesigning their jersey every year.

Reply #702151 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

It would be nice if jerseys had to remain unchanged for at least 3 seasons. I might actually start buying them again if that was the case.

Reply #702156 | Report this post

ME (he/kangaroo)  
Years ago

Ugly jersey. I wish we didnt have to continue to have this problem with NBL jerseys. The guys at Ozlooms do better job designing them than the NBL has.

Reply #702174 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

First Ever have supplied some seabl uniforms. Thin and shit. won't last 3 seasons.

Reply #702201 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

just gonna run at a loss but they'll never say and continue to push it looking like it's a successful business.

Reply #702234 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

if you visit their facebook, Justin Kestelman is literally the only person liking their posts. Pretty embarrassing to launch a line and have the person running it as the only person engaging with the content....

Reply #702235 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Nepotism at it's finest.

Reply #702241 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Oh and if you have a look at their Instagram followers, about 75% have been purchased (have a look at all the 'models' that have nothing to do with sport).

Pretty lame for a business that’s touted to be great, lol.

Reply #702251 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

All part of Kestleman looking after his own mates / son

Reply #702254 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

All will be launched today, looks like offcourt stuff as well from their Instagram account

Reply #702281 | Report this post

Bear  
Years ago

My experience with 1st Ever was at junior club level.

They are trying to establish their brand as an NBL partnership that junior basketball clubs can connect to and get their uniforms and apparel from. Using an online ordering system, and they are apparently going to move part of their production back here to Australia.

Unfortunately our club already has a local supplier for uniforms and apparel if we want it, at no minimum order, plus it is of a higher quality and a very reasonable price and orders can be done online to make it easy to manage.

The only thing I thought 1st Ever may have had which could be considered innovative and useful to a junior club was their online ordering system, which wasn't common a few years ago but isn't that uncommon now days.

But, when you have a 20+ minimum order (or similar) and the quality isn't that great, plus they made from material produced in China/India or wherever, it doesn't make the company stand out from the pack.

Their sales pitch of, 'we are with the NBL' sadly holds little impact because the quality of their product isn't high end (like the NBA for example), and even the junior uniform line is just average.

Good for them in trying to expand the NBL name among junior clubs, but there are better options out there, just saying...

Reply #702284 | Report this post

ME (he/kangaroo)  
Years ago

I'm a bit scared to see these uniforms actually. If they turn out to look like they already belong in a second hand shop, as the breakers one does, I think they need to be roundly mocked and ridiculed until they drop this idea. The "look" of the league is very important and cannot be run by clowns.

Reply #702288 | Report this post

LC  
Years ago

Agree with you Bear 100%.

Reply #702294 | Report this post

Manu Fieldel  
Years ago

Admittedly I ain't no designer, but I really like the Breakers jersey.

In Australia we love to hate, so there will be a lot more made of the poor quality jerseys (if in fact they are poor quality) than the Nike disaster in the NBA this past season.

Why do we have to be so highly strung in this 'laid-back' country of ours?

Reply #702295 | Report this post

Apharrel  
Years ago

Bear hit the nail on the head.

Reply #702297 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Don't generalise, Manu. I'm Aussie and I don't love to hate. I fucking hate hating. It's the worst. Hating is totally shit.

Reply #702403 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I have never seen a basketball singlet crease. These ones doo. Thin, almost ctrhu and after a week of non use you pull them out of your bag and they are creased. Lets hope the NBL ones are better material.

Reply #702414 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 5:53 am, Fri 26 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754