Anonymous
Years ago

Constructive ideas for Premier League next year

What would some ideas be for next season, this last one was good but no real innovations. I think the previous year in which they had a blockbuster round plus a few others fizzled, namely having multiple games going on at the arena without the organisers realising that there's nowhere to watch the games on each end court, something reserves have known for years.
A few years earlier I think the preseason tournament with shortened and multiple games on a weekend at wayville worked. Gave clubs a chance to get a good look at multiple players and a good hitout for players coming off preseason.
So any ideas out there? Serious ones please. Maybe some "rural" games, centrals played at barossa. Not sure where else other places could be played at. Maybe inviting some interstate teams over for a few exhibition games? Mid-season imports vs locals all star game?

Topic #43815 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

One (non club junior) nbl player per team, with priority given to the bottom couple of teams from the previous year would never work or be accepted by the top clubs, but would be good to see 10 competitive teams each season

Reply #702409 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Been a long time since I went to a game. Not interested in special rounds or feature games; I just think they should do more to make people aware of the games.

This year, someone has been writing up rounds/games on Hoops, but if it weren't for that, I don't know how much talk there would be about it.

I'd be interested in helping schedule auto-topics for every game or at least round of the season. Same for other Australian leagues.

Reply #702415 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Auto topics would be great to encourage discussion. They seem to be popular threads, just no one besides the same one person (thank god for them) could be bothered doing them.

Reply #702419 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

As a player, I would like to see:

- 27 game season
- Preseason tournament
- Games spread over Fri/Sat/Sun
- Bring Mt Gambier + Mildura into the league

Reply #702423 | Report this post

Anon  
Years ago

Stop teams rorting the by-laws.
Enforce a salary cap to even the comp out and save clubs from potentially busting over their Premier League budgets.

Reply #702424 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Rewrite the bylaws so no loopholes can be found*

Would actually really like games all weekend. There are some opposition players I would have loved the chance to watch more than the two times we played them.

Reply #702427 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

27 game season starting when? Finishing when? to do this without double-headers means the season in theory would run mid-Feb to mid-September.

Friday games how? Juniors are played Friday nights.

Mt.Gambier & Mildura would be great but who will pay for you to get there?

The issue with this threads is its a wish list without any thought of how to make it work.

Reply #702428 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

If you're not open to change then the league stands still and goes nowhere. Maybe if the league and its players want to be seen as an elite/premier competition they have to act like it. Double headers are a part of just about every other league in Australia. Maybe its time to move with the times.

Equalisation payments have worked in other leagues regarding travel why cant it work here? Or quite simply if Mildura and Mt Gambier are in the league they pay 25% more. Heck Mt Gambier would have been paying a lot more to be part of the SEABL.

Reply #702433 | Report this post

KET  
Years ago

Let eagles get last minute NBL crew for run to the finals

Reply #702435 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

For the schedule, a Mar-Aug season would work, with the caveat that several doubleheaders were played over the season.

We played Friday night games over school holidays a few years ago, crowds were solid, plus lets you play a Friday/Sunday double. I don't believe juniors play Friday nights in the holidays?

There are 2x school holiday blocks (April and July), so just utilising 1 or 2 in each of those, gives you flexibility.

Teams are paying for 2x imports, several good locals and NBL talent, I think a few overnight trips 3-5 hours away by car would be do-able. The big clubs would be fine, the smaller clubs would make it work on a limited budget.

I would like to raise the profile of the competition, the above does not seem too difficult to introduce.

Reply #702437 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I would have a Premier League day/round where all games are scheduled at one stadium and tickets are free for all.
Invite food trucks, sports shops, gaming trucks, other entertainment for Kids and other activities.
This is to try and draw in as many people as possible especially non basketball people or those that have never been to a game or haven't been in some time.
Yes it will cost but if it creates more interest it will pay for itself in the long run, ultimately people love free stuff and the business can use it as a marketing tool.

Reply #702440 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The problem with a whole day structure is once an early game runs late or there is an overtime it exponentially pushes everything else back. From memory the last time they ran it at Wayville the last game started nearly an hour late. Its a nice concept but it doesn't work in reality.

Reply #702443 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Agree Double-Headers, travel equalization etc work elsewhere.

But it needs to be talked about when making suggestions. Clubs who pay nothing to play in the comp, except ref payments will need to put up the money.

Friday games during Nationals/School Holidays should be standard.

Reply #702447 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Best of 3 grand final series.

Reply #702448 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

If you have best of 3 you can't use the Dome as it would be too cost prohibitive. You would have to go H-A-H and that would mean splitting the men's and women's Grand Finals more often than not. Which I am for but I doubt Basketball Adelaide would be for that.

Reply #702453 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Have some sunday games, normally clubs have juniors train in morning, they can hang around and watch a game. Cheap baby sitting for some parents.

Reply #702455 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

What is this juniors on a Friday night thing? A VIC/SA concept? Weird.

Reply #702469 | Report this post

Andy  
Years ago

Bring integrity to the competition come finals time and close all loopholes Forestville maybe able to use.

Reply #702577 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Hit up Kleenex for naming rights sponsor

Reply #702581 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Rename it back because 'Premier League' is downright awful.

Reply #702584 | Report this post

Hanging Round  
Years ago

Get a regular column in Advertiser each Thursday because some publicity is greatly needed as Isaac mentioned. Surely they could spare enough room for a column like Boti used to have

Reply #702611 | Report this post

Camel 31  
Years ago

...yes and there are games on tv........tv should be a way to publicise...

Reply #702919 | Report this post

Hanging Round  
Years ago

Considering some of the local Sport shows shown on Community TV over past 12 months (which is great for sport), surely BSA or BA could work with these Channels to put together a quality presentation!!!
Having seen some of the sub-standard local women's football games with bad shocking skill levels, surely we could offer something of much better quality.
Regular programming and promotion could see some worthwhile ratings, then sponsors will follow

Reply #702937 | Report this post

Well Read  
Years ago

Are there significant advantages to broadcasting on community TV versus a Facebook live stream? I thought BSA's coverage of the grand final was great, for example, and was easily accessible.

A few clubs were streaming every game this season. Given the home team is required to film the game anyway, they may as well follow suit.

Reply #702938 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Premier League games were back on Community TV this season

Reply #702972 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I'm not even from Adelaide and SA and knew games were on Channel 44.

Reply #702992 | Report this post

Camel 31  
Years ago

facebook or tv ... tv i think... if they polish it up a bit....
i think this friday nite we might see dj play gf...even though some on hoolahoops hate him.....sports fans would watch .....
3 games to qualify for finals would be sufficient....

Reply #703046 | Report this post

Anon  
Years ago

Create some controversy so people get outraged over some team not playing by yhe rules. Everyone loves a bit of the sandpapergate style stuff. Maybe bring in players unexpectedly as guests. DJ is available maybe BJ and LBJ and MJ.

Reply #718669 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 9:16 pm, Sat 20 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754