egalitarian
Years ago

Dreadful Dome

The Dome is a dreadful place to expect finals to be play. On centre copurt yesterday hte coach had to have a runner to ask for subs or time out.

Being located under the basket and not in the centre of the court also limited the chances of giving directions to players.

On the scoring bench we had spectators passing in front of our vision which also caused difficulties in getting correct calls from the refs.

Spectators are also remote from the court and do not get value for their entrance fee.

The court had not been swept and many players were losing grip with one injuring an arm badly.

If finals have to be played at the DOME the centre court should not be used.

Topic #4383 | Report this topic

In the Know  
Years ago

I agree. Would like to see BASA's reaction if teams said they weren't playing on there because it wasn't set up as an official game should be.

Reply #50918 | Report this post

SA Confidential  
Years ago

Yes agreed that the court is unsuitable but it enforces the point of having great leaders for point guards. That way you just need to give directions to one player on court and he tells the rest of the team when they huddle.

Reply #50922 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

from a coach or bench perspective - it is awkward.

the surface lighting and rings are excellent

spectators are ok

reffing it is hard to make calls from long end

it is 50 / 50 for me

Reply #50949 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

if you were only going to play on 2 courts at the dome then wouldnt you bring out one the stands and use the centre court as it is an nbl court and is obviously one of if not the best court in the state, courts 1 and 3 are wost for spectator as there are very few seats on the side and awkward to sit on the main stand as you have 2 turn around all the time. and about the surface not being swept i played there on sunday it was disgusting i landed on the floor and tmy uniform was covered in dust!!!!!

Reply #50999 | Report this post

pickles  
Years ago

yeah good point

It is a complete pain if you are on the far side of the bench and have to call subs, chaeck score sheet, give instructions to players etc.

Reply #51020 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Cannot wait for someone to take legal action against BASA, Stadium Manager, Umpires and others when their son or daughter injures themself on an unsafe surface. There is a thing called Duty of Care, amongst a host of other OH&S matters! Suggest BASA get moving in all stadiums to ensure floors are properly cleaned and maintained on a daily basis!!

Reply #51027 | Report this post

Wateva  
Years ago

Is there anything stopping "concerned parents" from sweeping the floor between games?
You guys all whine and moan, threaten law suits yet you're not even prepared to get of your lasy buts and do something POSITIVE about it.

Reply #51064 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

WAH WAH WAH

Reply #51140 | Report this post

BMG  
Years ago

What would they be wiping the floor with exactly? I have never seen a stadium - let alone the not a dome - have a broom leaning up against the wall for whoever wants to use it.

Reply #51142 | Report this post

pickles housemate  
Years ago

I am not an employee of BASA - why should i be expected to sweep the floor before my kid plays basketball at a basketball stadium.

for a fee, i expect "reasonable" effort be made to provide a safe environment.

I believe that "reasonable" in this instance means sweeping the floors AT LEAST once every day that the stadium is open.

Reply #51147 | Report this post

Wateva  
Years ago

If senior players can play on the floor without complaint. Surely kids can to. Are there any courts that don't have dust on them. I don't think so

Reply #51208 | Report this post

egalitarian  
Years ago

So parents are expected to pay entrance fees, sit on the score bench and provide a safe environment to play? It should be part of the referees brief to ensure that the surface is safe because it sure wasnt on Sunday. I saw five incidents where players were sliding or fell due to the dust on the floor and a social group that came in afterwards swept the floor before playing.

It still is a substandard arrangement for playing basketball, especially a knock out final.

Reply #51216 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

ive been told the floors are cleaned before senior games

Reply #51218 | Report this post

Centre court at the Dome has always been a problem for coaches. I have seen some coaches walk up and down the court while coaching and the umpires didn't seem to mind.
My advice is:
Walk up and down the side line up to half way, making sure you are on your side of the court (where your players are benched) This should be ok, just don't follow the referee around, they might get annoyed.
As for the floors of all BASA courts, they are swept at the start and at the end of the day. The cleaners aren't being paid to come during the middle of the day and it would disrupt games, causing further grumbles so if you have a game at any BASA stadium that has had a lot of games on it, be prepared to have a slightly dusty bottom.

Reply #51290 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

sorry m8 but i watched one of the second matchs at the dome on sunday and it was quite obvious that it hadnt been swept it is becoming a OH&S matter (as some1 has already explained) basa needs 2 do somethings on the matter before some gets seriously injured

Reply #51292 | Report this post

Wateva  
Years ago

so who's gonna do it then. the refs aren't. it's not their job and there is nothing preventing a parent/spectator from sweeping it before a game. If you can't find a broom just ask the door person.

Reply #51351 | Report this post

egalitarian  
Years ago

Most parents would be happy to grab a broom, but it is too late once the game has started. The refs should have some idea of the court condition and take the lead by asking the home team coach first or the visiting coach second to act on what could be a dangerous situation.

If not the referees who else should take responsibility?

There is no way that court was swept before play on Sunday.

Reply #51389 | Report this post

Wateva  
Years ago

If a ref checked the court and then approached a couch or team about sweeping the court they would told to go do it themselves. How many junior officials are gonna do that and then stand up to an adult coach telling it's the refs problem and that they should do it themselves. The only times i have know courts to have the semblence of sqeaky clean and grippy is when it's a wet day and everyone brings in wet shoes.

Reply #51413 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

the court is fine....

stop having a cry.....

Reply #51429 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

piss off u obviously didnt play on tha court on sunday it was pathetic, and isnt it the stadiums "job" 2 keep the stadium safe for players. the only time ive played on a gd suface this year has been make up matches on a sunday after they have cleaned the surface for aba. (tip 4 ne1 playing at the dome on sunday tip a bit of gatoraide on the floor when u r on the bench and rub ur feet in it, your shoes will be sticky for at least a quarter)

Reply #51535 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I think that you would find that it is the stadiums "job" to keep the playing surface safe. BASA runs nearly all stadiums where games are played and they have a Duty of Care to ensure that all players in their competition are not put in any danger of being injured. This would include slippery playing surfaces.

Reply #51537 | Report this post

Wateva  
Years ago

Hey a good player can adjust to the surface in the same way that they can adjust to the difference between rings. But this is all pointless. If you think that the floors are too slipery for you to play on then sweep them. If that's too hard then tough titties.

Reply #51590 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 5:02 pm, Thu 25 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754