This is just a guess if it happens

Topic #43831 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

No

Reply #702644 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

No teams wants their player injured in a meaningless game.

And the demand is not there.

So no.

Reply #702646 | Report this post

Hogwash  
Years ago

Deng Adel doesn't even play in the NBL.

Reply #702647 | Report this post

ME (he/kangaroo)  
Years ago

Yeah, no thanks. All Star games have never really worked in the NBL. I don't even think they're worth watching in the NBA but at least in the NBA it is kind of prestigious to be named an All Star. The NBL has had some All Stars in the past that muddy the term, to be fair. Pretty sure Steven Weigh was an All Star, which basically sullies the credibility of the spectacle for at least the next 20 years. Australians don't really get behind that kind of thing all that much. The flashy-for-the-sake-of-it stuff is more for Americans. We like flash, if it is a natural extension of the game. But like AND1, streetball and the rest, we don't have that big a market for that kind of nonsense.

Reply #702651 | Report this post

PlaymakerMo  
Years ago

Yeah, nah.

Reply #702654 | Report this post

robt  
Years ago

Most of the above comments are negative. I like the idea but have always wondered at the smarts of risking injuries etc, too.

How's this, for outside the box type of thought.

Add it (All Star Event) to the pre season schedule, say the last week/weekend, with players selected on pre season form ..

or

.. make it a pre season, touring event going to non-NBL centres, with say 5 All Star starters and 5 more local nbl players as bench in each team. Say Sunny Coast as host, benches could be Bullets players who aren't already in. For Newcasttle, Sydney and Gong players etc.

Expensive? Definately, yes. But we are all witness to LK putting his money where his mouth is (all been for the good of the game, IMHO [suck,suck]). LK, how about some money where My mouth is? Please?

The promotion to get bums on seats could be awesome and for those who won't/can't go that extra distance to get to regular season NBL, bet you that a lot would be watching the telecasts.

Reply #702656 | Report this post

Big Ads  
Years ago

Flashback to Kenyon McNeail

"After injuring his shoulder competing in the NBL Pre-season Blitz dunk contest, McNeail managed just 13 minutes of game time over the first two regular season games for the 36ers...... he was released by the 36ers after it became apparent that his injured shoulder was not responding to treatment"

Reply #702665 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

No. Hope this helps.

Reply #702700 | Report this post

PersonalFoul  
Years ago

I like the idea of high end exhibition games instead in the preseason than an all star game, bring the NBA Summer League to Melbourne!!! imagine that!!

Reply #702706 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The season is busy enough already with more teams active in preseason, more players playing state or overseas leagues and Boomer qualifying windows and NBL v China series ( which is pointless) taking up a lot of time.

Reply #702725 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

No

Reply #702774 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I'm only onboard if Anstey out of retirement is invited into the three point contest so a whole stadium can laugh at him again.

Reply #702783 | Report this post

AD  
Years ago

Way back when the Boomers came mostly from the NBL, in the leadup to (IIRC) the Olympics(?) they ran a few games of Boomers vs Allstars (allstars being imports) I liked that.

It was also enjoyable, when teams had only a couple of stars, to see them all together. Teams I feel are more balanced now.

Problem is now that you just end up with "team A" vs "team B". Attempts to create some form of artificial division (eg N v S) fall flat IMHO.

Be different if we had say 20 teams, and could organise it along state lines.

So no

Reply #702827 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

To me when they did the ABC that was good
If they streamed the blitz and included a 3pt and dunk (definitely not an all star game) then that would be good
They could try and turn it into more of a festival, only thing being it doesnt work when the games are divided between cities e.g. ballarat and bendigo
On another note, surprised they didnt take the blitz to a prospective expansion site, hobart or canberra

Reply #702914 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Ballarat and Bendigo paid NBL for blitz through Vic events funding. Hence they are the hosts.

Reply #702925 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 6:48 pm, Fri 19 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754