Anonymous
Years ago

NBL or G League

A two part topic to discuss
1. Who wins in a game NBL or G league?
2. Which league is better for developing NBA prospects.

Topic #43839 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

NBL
NBL

Reply #702817 | Report this post

AD  
Years ago

1. Depends whether you mean an allstar team, or just the best team.
I think the best NBL team would beat the best G league team, but if allstars G league with the edge.

2.Depends what you mean by "developing"
An import, or decent player in the NBL, will earn more than a G league player without an NBA contract. But not sure about somebody with a 2-way.
I think the average player would improve overall more in the NBL. But fringe guys in the G-League are often working on particular aspects of their game, as directed by an NBA team.
Plus they are far more visible and available in the G-League, and have the opportunity for 10-day contracts.

I would summarize it like this. If you are a young up and coming player.
If you have serious NBA interest, and are either offered a 2-way or placed in their G-League affiliate to development particular areas, I would say stick with G-League.
Without such interest, or even if say drafted then told to bugger off and mature for a year or two, I would recommend the NBL and take it a season at a time, before looking to move back to the G-League. That path has had some success for a couple of players.

Reply #702822 | Report this post

Melbourne Boy  
Years ago

If you took a G-League roster, flew all the players here in August and replaced say the Hawks roster with those players, so Bevo has them for an entire preseason/season, I think they'd be very hard to beat in the NBL.

If the question is a 1 off game with say Melb United from last season vs a top G-League team from last season, United have the edge, the G-League is about player development and NBA teams trialing different things, also players trying to get numbers, it's not really about winning until maybe the playoffs for them.

Reply #702828 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

G-League has more talent, but NBL teams are probably more well-drilled to win games. A lot of guys in G-League may just be there for the exposure, then you have fringe NBA guys moving in and out (getting "assigned" back and forth) and similarly teams may be happy to tinker and try different things rather than go all out in winning.

Talent-wise though, a lot of the NBL's better imports have been G-League players previously so you would suggest their talent pool is deeper and superior?

Reply #702830 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

NBL trumps G league purely due to off court development opportunity e.g. character development. So many more egos in the GLeague

Reply #702912 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 5:44 pm, Fri 29 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754