DaHuzyBru
Years ago

United reportedly sign D.J. Kennedy, finalise roster

Kennedy, a native of Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, is the third and final import for United, joining Casper Ware and Josh Boone.

https://www.foxsports.com.au/basketball/nbl/dj-kennedy-signs-with-melbourne-united-sources/news-story/bdfac6d51e8a8b3479c66447fa4bb6ad

Topic #43859 | Report this topic

AngusH  
Years ago

Very nice pickup, I'm expecting him to be one of the top imports in the league. United going to be pretty tough to keep away from a repeating.

Reply #703508 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

So how is the no salary cap working. Never seen any press about the other clubs getting something from the "soft cap" rule.

Reply #703509 | Report this post

LV  
Years ago

I like it.

Kennedy attacks the hoop and scores from the paint and mid range. And appears a good passer too.

Should give United a complementary mix alongside the others in the 1-3 spots.

Reply #703510 | Report this post

LV  
Years ago

Only downside is, this gives United a roster with 2 traditional 5 men, and 3 of the 4 guys who'll be playing forward are below average 3 point shooters.

But I doubt this worries Vickerman- neither of his NBL championship teams have been particularly great outside shooting teams

Reply #703513 | Report this post

Melbourne Boy  
Years ago

Most clubs have a stud import, a decent import, and a budget import. Boone, Ware, Kennedy... who's their budget import? Or should we say how can the less financial teams compete?

Maybe the Hawks and Taipans will spend more when they receive the equalization tax, with the payroll of the Melbournes and Sydneys of the world this year I hope the little guys will get their compensation.

Reply #703515 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

his shit

Reply #703516 | Report this post

LoveBroker  
Years ago

Well I stuffed that up....

So how is the no salary cap working. Never seen any press about the other clubs getting something from the "soft cap" rule.

I hope they don't.

I hate welfare hand outs in real life, I hate it even more in the NBL

There's no need for compensation anyway, Mark Beecroft has publicly come out to say that Cairns can 'ruffle feathers' and 'stay within budget'.

https://www.sbs.com.au/news/nbl-won-t-outgrow-us-taipans-boss

Reply #703518 | Report this post

AD  
Years ago

3 point shooting should be fine, but if anything the squad seems a little heavy on 3's. Will he be relying on Barlow and Moller to play 4?

Reply #703519 | Report this post

twenty four  
Years ago

his shit

What about it?

Reply #703520 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Stay within the budget, wow

Reply #703523 | Report this post

LV  
Years ago

Boone/Pledger/Smith-Milner
Trist/Barlow
Kennedy/Moller
Goulding/McCarron
Ware/Hooley

Rough guess at minute spread

Boone 27/Pledger 10/Smith Milner 3
Trist 20/Barlow 15/Moller 5
Kennedy 25/Moller 10/McCarron 5
Goulding 30/McCarron 10
Ware 30/McCarron 7/Hooley 3

Ware, Goulding 30
Boone 27
Kennedy 25
McCarron 22
Trist 20
Moller 15
Barlow 15
Pledger 10
Hooley, Smith-Milner 3

Having said that, I'm not sure how good Trist is- could Moller start at 4 instead? Or Barlow? Trist is more like for like game style with Wesley and enjoys posting up so he would make sense as starting 4.

Reply #703524 | Report this post

Hogwash  
Years ago

Should go back to back.

Reply #703526 | Report this post

ME (he/kangaroo)  
Years ago

People seem to get offended when teams bring more talent to the league. Let's face it, teams must be doing okay because almost everyone has recruits this year that they wouldn't have afforded in previous years. Cairns even has a draft pick ffs. And the standard of the league is such that United and Sydney aren't going to sleepwalk to the finals. It's not a fate accompli.

Reply #703528 | Report this post

Cram  
Years ago

"teams must be doing ok because they're spending a lot"

Some rock solid logic there

Reply #703532 | Report this post

LV  
Years ago

A few relevant points:

- The majority of teams have upgraded their rosters. Adelaide is the only team whose roster is a significant downgrade on last season.

- United's import trio does look to be the best in the comp, but it needs to be, because United’s local contingent is just average. There’s several teams whose locals are clearly superior to United’s, and most teams locals are at least comparable.

- United would’ve spent no more than last year. If anything, they would’ve spent less. Assume Kennedy/Prather are like for like. Wesley, Andersen, Majok, Adnam vs McCarron, Trist, Pledger and Smith-Milner in.

- United’s bench includes:

Smith-Milner, an upgraded DP.

Hooley, a SEABL guy who was used sparingly in his rookie NBL season last year.

Moller, who showed flashes last year and then followed up with a strong SEABL season, but is yet to consistently prove himself as an NBL player.

Barlow, who’ll be 35 next month.

Reply #703533 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Can't see Trist starting ahead of Barlow in the four or even Moller on seabl form. Trist played all five against the kings last week. Kennedy is the import but he’ll have to be on his game as McCarron and Moller will be looking to start. Mollers length on defence will keep him in the frame and averaged just under 24 points a game in seabl playing the four in championship team. McCarron will be looking to get time in the one and two as well.
Melbourne have put a very good squad together and the coach no’s what he’s doing. Sydney, Perth, also looking great, can’t wait for the action.

Reply #703537 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The McCarron signing, especially at his reported "Top 5 Australia paid players" salary is even more of a head scratcher now.

Reply #703538 | Report this post

Manu Fieldel  
Years ago

McCarron left the Taipans saying he's going to Europe for the 'opportunity'. So he's signed with Melbourne to play fewer minutes and have less room to grow. Nice

Reply #703551 | Report this post

Melbourne Boy  
Years ago

It's good that more expensive talent comes in, so long as the poorer clubs see the taxes to help recruit themselves.

Reply #703552 | Report this post

LV  
Years ago

Everybody's so high on United and, I hate to say this since I'm the resident United fan here and everything....but- United hardly has a better roster than last year.

Majok had a poor year last year but was injured at times and under utilised. His first 2 seasons proved that he's a quality backup big. I don't see Pledger as much of an upgrade at all.

Then you have Trist and Smith Milner IN...Tai Wesley and David Andersen out.

Plus, Boone is turning 34 in November and Barlow's 35 next month.

So- United's frontcourt has downgraded.

Wesley is a major loss- unless Trist is better than everyone seems to think.

Reply #703553 | Report this post

LV  
Years ago

Oops wrong thread...although I guess it's relevant here too.

Reply #703554 | Report this post

Boydie  
Years ago

Looks a good signing for United, looking forward to seeing what he brings.

Lots of imports looking good around the league this year though with Perth and Cairns imports looking the best so far apart from United's.

Reply #703558 | Report this post

Smith  
Years ago

There's the dick head we all loathe. Carn Lovey, give us a rant about how immigration is ruining this proud white land...

Reply #703566 | Report this post

LoveBroker  
Years ago

McCarron left the Taipans saying he's going to Europe for the 'opportunity'. So he's signed with Melbourne to play fewer minutes and have less room to grow. Nice

That is an indictment on the Cairns Taipans more than it is on McCarron.

Reply #703583 | Report this post

Smith  
Years ago

Trigger words for dick head: Cairns, orange, snakes...dark clouds.

Reply #703595 | Report this post

AngusH  
Years ago

It's surprising they tied so much cash up in Goulding and McCarron at the same position and then brought in a presumably expensive import at the same position also. If those guys don't mind sacrificing minutes it should work out fine.

Reply #703602 | Report this post

Manu Fieldel  
Years ago

Yeah 'triggered' is exactly the word for it.

Step through your logic tho, LoveBroker

Reply #703605 | Report this post

LoveBroker  
Years ago

It's surprising they tied so much cash up in Goulding and McCarron at the same position

But McCarron is so multi-faceted he can place the 1-2-3 so if there were to be foul trouble / injury or one of the stars are 'not feeling it' on the night, McCarron can take over.

Virtually no other team has that luxury.

Their 1-2-3 positions are almost guaranteed to be starter quality at all times.

Reply #703607 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

McCarron wants to play point guard, learn from Casper this season take over next season. Vickerman said the games are closer together this season so wants to rotate more players and keep there minutes down to be fresher.

Reply #703609 | Report this post

Smith  
Years ago

You're spot on dick head, Cairns were crazy to let him walk. Only someone with your insight and knowledge could shed light on why they would allow a talent like that to leave of his own accord.

How many clouds have you yelled at today?

Reply #703612 | Report this post

Captain Jack  
Years ago

The Melbourne PG, SG, SF rotation is amazing

Think about it they should have atleast 2 if not 3 of Ware, Goulding, McCarron, Kennedy on at all times, id say 3 of them in some combination for the vast majority.

This probably means Hooley doesnt play much and guys like Moller and Barlow will spend the bulk of their minutes in the PF rotation, which is fine.

Could go

Ware 30 mins/Mccarron 10mins
Goulding 30/McCarron 10
Kennedy 30/McCarron 10
Trist !5/Moller 13/Barrlow 12
Boone 25/Trist 5/Pledger 10

Guys like Hooley and Smith-Milner could barley play, which is fine by me

Compare that to other teams rotations

Reply #703619 | Report this post

Captain Jack  
Years ago

The PF rotation will be a bit different to last season having Wesley, but Trist/Barlow/Moller play the spot by committee, probably provide more defense than Wesley and less ball dominant too, but combined i think they will cover the spot fine and be one of the better PF rotations i the NBL anyway

Reply #703622 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Barlow and Moller will be very hard to guard in the 4 by slower fours. Hope Moller gets good time in the 3 as it is a positive for Melbourne with his length and ability to get to the basket.
Kennedy played at a lot clubs quite often not staying to the end.

Reply #703632 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"Barlow and Moller will be very hard to guard in the 4"

by guys who are bigger and stronger?

Reply #703634 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Smith is an insignificant contributor to the forum.

Reply #703642 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

""Barlow and Moller will be very hard to guard in the 4"
by guys who are bigger and stronger?
Like they did last season? Moller was by far the best big in the seabl last season and should bring that level of play into the United this season.

Reply #703644 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Kennedy confirmed.

Reply #703735 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 4:38 pm, Fri 29 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754