boz
Years ago

international rep

So there is word from around the queensland association that they are banning kids who represent other nations in basketball eg new zealand, samoa, guam etc etc who want to trial for their state teams.

question would be, why would they want to stop kids representing their heritage? i think its a great opportunity for those kids who will never get a chance to rep at a state and australia level?

thoughts?

Topic #43868 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

national teams are chosen from state teams.
Pretty much every qld state team has had 1-2 nz internationals on it.

Reply #703776 | Report this post

Dave Q  
Years ago

Is this a common thing? Ie kids live in Qld (for example) and play their normal season-to-season basketball there. Then travel several times a year to New Zealand to trial for and then play for the silver ferns?

I don't see a problem, but by gee that is some flying miles!

Reply #703788 | Report this post

Mel Hoops  
Years ago

Would it be fair to say that BA get to see them first and if they are good enough to rep Australia, be considered for ADC, etc. before NZ could pick them up?

Reply #703799 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

It has happened, but they usually choose nz.

In the last 3 years, you've had over 10 kiwis play for the junior national teams via qld Sth u16 and u18s. I guess in a competition used to identify Australian talent, it's a problem.
The just released u15 and u17 nz list has a few more qld Sth players.

Reply #703810 | Report this post

Anon  
Years ago

They barely get looked at for State anyways, as they are branded pretty quickly.

Ban them, whatever - you may miss out on good talent.. your choice.

They have every right to try out of play for their heritage/land of birth.

Reply #703929 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

well it is hard to ban them when they do have talent from that state.

if you look at it as a whole, australia has a depth of talent across the nation. i can understand QLD feels that they develop these kids under their system and then they choose to represent their country of heritage. QLD should question themselves about weather they are holding these kids back if it doesnt work out for them representing australia at a national level that they should let these kids go and represent another nation?

Reply #704202 | Report this post

robt  
Years ago

with other threads I read that coaching youngsters is all about (should be) the youngsters and here we have discussion over whether WE should be teaching THEIR kids! Honestly?

Reply #704282 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 5:53 am, Wed 24 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754