Isaac
Years ago

Mitch Creek misses two-way deal with Brooklyn

Luckily the 36ers didn't burn any bridges!

Topic #43897 | Report this topic

Agent Oso  
Years ago

Burn Bridges? But they were just standing up for what was rightfully theirs according to their president? Below quote from twitter a few weeks back......

Ken Cole, Adelaide 36ers CEO, tells podcast his team held up Mitch Creek's signing because NBA needs to provide proper compensation to Australian teams, adding "they're running out of talent in the U.S., they're running out of players who can play fundamental basketball."

Reply #704587 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Wasn't Creek on Cole's HSH team, prompting quotes over the years raising that every time he was referenced? Wonder how Cole reconciled that with the contract beef that absolutely destroyed whatever rapport the club had with potentially their best player? If I was there to placate coach and player, I'd be playing my quotes closer to them than the club.

Reply #704588 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Years ago

Not a great sign for Creek with them already using both of their two-way deals before training camp has even opened. Unless they clear a roster spot for him via a trade he's likely going to have to start the season in the G-League.

I'm sure Creek realised he was always going to be a long shot to make the Nets roster.

Reply #704590 | Report this post

cavolo  
Years ago

Long way to go for Creek for opportunities to open up, be offered. Joe Ingles case illustrates how quickly things can change in terms of being cut, yet being picked up. Fingers crossed for him that he gets a crack to show what he can offer. Like what he contributed in the summer league.

Reply #704591 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Years ago

That's true the Clippers cut Ingles at the end of training camp and the Jazz picked him up off the waiver wire and look at him now.

You just need to get your foot in the NBA door like Creek now has and anything can happen.

Reply #704592 | Report this post

Manu Fieldel  
Years ago

Ingles has always been a very skilled player with good size, and his jumpshot has come along nicely since being in the NBA.

But what is it about Creek's game that makes people think he has the ability to follow in Ingles' footsteps? In NBA terms, Creek is an undersized hustle guy who cannot shoot. I just don't get it.

I'm rooting for him to make it, but I'm also a realist.

Reply #704594 | Report this post

Hogwash  
Years ago

Hopefully he gets a call up during G League season even if it's not with the Nets.

Reply #704596 | Report this post

MACDUB  
Years ago

I agree Manu.

I don't know if Creek has any one strength to his game that necessarily translates him to the NBA level. He's a do it all guy at NBL level. However none of those things really translate into out and out strengths at the NBA level.

It's a real shame for him (of course I could be speaking prematurely but unlikely he finds his shot magically at 26) - if he had Ingles, Mills, Broekhoff or even Dellavedova he would have been in the league by now I suspect.

However here's hoping that, whilst you never want to see someone go down, Brooklyn maybe need a call up of a SG, SF at some stage this year - and hopefully Creek is going well at D-League level to warrant it.

Reply #704598 | Report this post

MACDUB  
Years ago

if he had Ingles, Mills, Broekhoff or even Dellavedova shooting ability*

Reply #704599 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Years ago

But what is it about Creek's game that makes people think he has the ability to follow in Ingles' footsteps? In NBA terms, Creek is an undersized hustle guy who cannot shoot. I just don't get it.

No one myself included thought Ingles had NBA potential he was never a great shooter either but seriously developed his shot once he got there. Even though he had a better shot than Creek you never know Creek could turn into the ultimate meat & potatoes hustle guy upbeat locker room presence.

Plenty of less talented guys than Creek have played in the NBA.

Reply #704600 | Report this post

NBL Fan  
Years ago

What's the most likely situation here? After being waved will he spend the season in G-League or do people think he will sign with an NBL club?

Reply #704601 | Report this post

MACDUB  
Years ago

Pretty crazy to think Ingles was probably the 2nd best shooter in the NBA last season based off stats (I have Klay as the best - made more 3 pointers at a slightly higher clip).

Reply #704602 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Perth?

Reply #704604 | Report this post

cavolo  
Years ago

I don't really focus on whether he can make it or not as my hoopster, arm chair critic/opinion means didly and the success rate of my fellow hoopster critics on here probably has a less than 10% success rate in prediction relating to teams' performances, whether a player will "make it" blah blah. I much prefer to sit back, enjoy the ride of what players provide in performances, progression etc. I think it's pretty sweet to see locals throw them selves up on the big stage after years of work and duke it out with the best across the world. A wonderful distraction and enjoyment away from real life... ;)

Reply #704605 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Let's see how flexing in the G-League goes down. :P

Reply #704606 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Years ago

What's the most likely situation here? After being waved will he spend the season in G-League or do people think he will sign with an NBL club?

As part of the contract if he gets cut and decides to play for the Nets G-League team he will be paid a bit more than a standard G-League contract so I think he will logically play for them and hope that either Brooklyn or another NBA team calls him up during the season.

I'm not sure if the Exhibit 10 clause means his G-League rights will be exclusively owned by the Long Island Nets or not.

Reply #704610 | Report this post

Cram  
Years ago

I think his best bet is potentially a good team looking to cover an injury with someone solid, who knows his role etc. He showed in summer league hes more than happy to do that, which I think would make him a good option for a team that is looking for someone with minimal impact on team chemistry etc.

I don't think there's one thing he does great enough to stay in the league long term, but I think he could have a chance at getting a callup, and we have seen some guys get that chance and turn hustle and effort into enough to carve out a role.

Its an uphill battle, but I think one worth having a crack at for one season. Best of luck to him

Reply #704617 | Report this post

Aussiebballer  
Years ago

Long Island will have the option to sign him before other teams

Reply #704620 | Report this post

Hogwash  
Years ago

If he did sign with an NBL club chances are it won't be Adelaide.

Reply #704625 | Report this post

Curtley  
Years ago

Is it possible what the 36ers did and what K Cole said about the shortage of quality nba caliber players couldve affected creeks chances in a 2 horse race?

Reply #704637 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Creek = Sam Mackinnon 2.0?

Good athletes and all-around players that can't shoot.

Reply #704641 | Report this post

MACDUB  
Years ago

One of the unfortunate things is that Creek seemed to play PF growing up - and he even played the PF position for Australia at U19 in 2010/2011. He absolutely murdered slower less athletic PF's back then (being able to use space from mid-range)

If he started out as a SG/SF perhaps a little earlier in his career things might be different. But bit of a double edged sword too because he may not have got to where he had had he not being able to star playing the PF role in younger times.

Reply #704657 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

He'd look good in an Illawarra singlet

Reply #704658 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

I think the 36ers' actions could well have influenced things, whatever either side may say. I can see him riding out a cheap year in the G-League and then, if he gets no interest, going to Europe or a strong NBL club (Perth, Melbourne, etc). Adelaide have well and truly screwed their chances.

As for Creek in the NBA, forget Ingles for a bit and think about Delly. 37% 3P shooter in the NBA. 36% FG which isn't great. Has made his name playing tough and being a smart, team player. 28 years old now. getting 9-10 million USD.

Creek is 26. Plays tough, team basketball as well. Works on his game. May not have the court smarts, but hard to fault his loyalty and dedication to team play. It's not like the NBA has no history of solid hustle guys with mediocre shooting ability.

Reply #704661 | Report this post

Pete  
Years ago

The Creek situation has been the last straw for me. I've lost interest in supporting the Sixers this year after 25 years of being a member. I understand both sides of the discussion, but time after time the Sixers admin just handles this shit SO badly.

I hope MC makes it in the NBA - such a hard working all round good guy. Why we decided to handle things like this is beyond me.

Reply #704663 | Report this post

Joshuapending  
Years ago

In the same camp as Pete. Already bought my season tickets before all this happened but I'm just so out with them now.

Reply #704685 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

For the people saying Creek is undersized, he's actually a fair bit taller than the listed 6'5

Reply #704694 | Report this post

LoveBroker  
Years ago

I'm sure all can be forgotten and forgiven should the Sixers win the Championship.

Reply #704703 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"For the people saying Creek is undersized, he's actually a fair bit taller than the listed 6'5"

So it's his skill not good enough, not his height?

Reply #704704 | Report this post

MACDUB  
Years ago

""For the people saying Creek is undersized, he's actually a fair bit taller than the listed 6'5""

Correct - he's not undersized for a SG and not too far off a SF.

He is deemed undersize often because his skill set generally equates to that more of a tweneer SF and PF.

So yes the undersize comments come from the categorisation of him into a tweener SF/PF role based on his skils.

Reply #704749 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I'm not sure why I appear to be the only person not surprised by this?
Although I suspect Creek himself isn't.

There are far better players that him playing in Europe, so he was never seriously in the running for an NBA deal.

Still, an invite to an NBA training camp is an honour and a fantastic opportunity, and I'm sure he's treating it as such. He'll not only get critiqued by some top coaches, it also puts him in front of a whole other audience in terms of European teams who would look closely at these camps to scout the NBA rejects.

As for money, I'm not exactly clear on what he was offered. If he has an NBA contract with the exhibit 10 clause, then my understanding is that if waived and he signs with their G-League affiliate and stays for two months, then he gets a Bonus.
(Although that bonus could be anywhere from 5 to 50k)

Reply #704775 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Creeky is closer to 6'7 than 6'5, so his cap would be like an Andre Roberson if he was to go to the NBA

Reply #704825 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

@macdub

that's fair enough

Reply #704827 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Big fish in a small pond, played run and gun rubbish under Joey and his stats looked good, dominated for the boomers playing competition that would struggle against state league sides.

Reply #704844 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Agreed, Asia is probably ABA level at best

Reply #704850 | Report this post

PeterJohn  
Years ago

What's wrong with Creek's shooting? Serious question.

I haven't seen him play a lot so I'm looking at his shooting percentages, which have always been good in the NBL. His field goal percentage has been above 50% every season except his first two (44% and 48%). Last season he had the highest field goal percentage in the NBL, of anyone playing at least 5 games and averaging at least 5 field goal attempts per game.

Is it that he doesn't take enough shots? Or is it that he needs a better 3pt shot?

Reply #704889 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Easy to have a good percentage when most of your shots are fast break lay ups

Reply #704920 | Report this post

PlaymakerMo  
Years ago

"There are far better players that him playing in Europe, so he was never seriously in the running for an NBA deal."

There are a bunch of European players that earn more not playing in the NBA. Not to mention the cultural factors offering different experiences. Whether or not better players exist is kind of a moot point.

Reply #704921 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

PeterJohn he would turn down open shots especially from three.

Reply #704925 | Report this post

PeterJohn  
Years ago

Thanks anon

Reply #704982 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 7:39 am, Fri 26 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754