EYW
Years ago

Eating your words! 36ers and Illawarra

So, might wanna start eating your words on Adris DeLeon and the Sixers... Sixers playing like the Faves so far, as are Illawarra. Good to see. Good coaching goes a long way.

Topic #43916 | Report this topic

KET  
Years ago

Pre-season lol

Reply #705014 | Report this post

Andrew  
Years ago

LOL

Don't forget Wildcats were without:

Damien Martin
Angus Brandt
Terrico White
Mitch Norton for 75% of the game

Reply #705016 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Hawks-Sixers grand final for sure. Lock it in.

Reply #705019 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Home court advantage in the GF series will be crucial so there is still some interest left in the NBL regular season as these 2 elite teams jostle for the No.1 spot.

Reply #705020 | Report this post

Hogwash  
Years ago

I will humour some delusional Adelaide fans and change my tip for the title.
Adelaide to win 2018/19 NBL championship

Reply #705022 | Report this post

UseTaHoop  
Years ago

Actual basketball question below:

When was the last time a team did well in pre-season and backed up with a legit title run in the real season???

In 8 team NBL, maybe qualify by saying playing off for GF in both

Reply #705023 | Report this post

Benno  
Years ago

@UseTaHoop Melbourne last year..

Reply #705025 | Report this post

FSTOS  
Years ago

Pre season.

Brad Hill

Ben Allen

If you know what links those three then the word eating will probably stop.

Reply #705026 | Report this post

J  
Years ago

What happened to Norton? Any team that avgs 20 more fta per game is likely to be difficult to beat. Across most games there had been some real head scratching interpretations, it needs to improve

Reply #705029 | Report this post

EYW  
Years ago

Look at some of the losers on here. Can't stand to see how good Adelaide are year after year. EAD. Kings won't make the top four.

Reply #705031 | Report this post

EYW  
Years ago

Where were you flogs last year? Went silent when Adelaide dominated and made the grand final. Typical.

Reply #705032 | Report this post

Hogwash  
Years ago

You do realize Adelaide haven't won since 2002 don't you.
Its a meaningless preseason tournament with key players missing for most teams.

Reply #705035 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I love any Aussie that spells realize with a Z.

Reply #705040 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Who cares? ^

Reply #705042 | Report this post

EYW  
Years ago

They didn't play Sobey Today either and DJ played limited minutes... still blew out Perth who look once again like they'll be held up by cotton all year.

Reply #705046 | Report this post

proud  
Years ago

Nah Illawarra were far more impressive with their small ball lineup than I expected and I think they will play in the playoffs this season.

As far as Adelaide go, they are getting a lot of offensive contributions from Drmic but he isn't a great player at all and you're kidding yourselves if you think he is good for 20ppg

Reply #705051 | Report this post

EYW  
Years ago

Hahaha. Oh proud, you don't watch much basketball do you. Lol. Hilarious comment. Drmic doesn't need to score even 10 points a game for Adelaide to still win. Drmic is a sick player. Shits on Kennedy.

Reply #705054 | Report this post

Hogwash  
Years ago

Drmic is mediocre.
Did he get the Brad Hill medal for his blitz performance..

Reply #705055 | Report this post

J  
Years ago

No damo, brandt or white. Yep i can see why you would lean on your mvp. EYW were was this optimism when perth blew adelaide away a few weeks back?

Reply #705057 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

@UseTaHoop
In 2016/17, the Hawks won the Blitz in Brisbane and then went on to the NBL Grand Final Series

Reply #705059 | Report this post

Timberball  
Years ago

Don't know what's more embarrassing, EYW thinking Sobey not playing is equal to Brandt, Damo and White not playing or listening to Sobey's interview where he talked about wanting to posterize Rudy Gobert.

Kings didn't play their starting 5 today..I'm guessing EYW thinks that Sobey is a bigger out than Bogut, Lisch, Newely, Anderson and Randle.

Reply #705061 | Report this post

Look for Mojak Deng to dominate this season and Adelaide in the granny

Reply #705063 | Report this post

EYW  
Years ago

Perth fans can't accept a loss, shitstains.

Reply #705068 | Report this post

EYW  
Years ago

J Adelaide were without Drmic, DJ and also Sobey in that game and they played randoms with no structure. You've got nothing J.

Reply #705069 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Its preseason, bad teams in all sports are notorious for playing well early. Will be very hard to see the 36ers making the playoffs. One bright spark which should hold strong all season is Wiley, I like his game. But ill be having butter chicken for dinner, thats about all ill be eating. Dont peak on this site too early EYW.

Reply #705073 | Report this post

FM  
Years ago

We found out being the Merloin competition champions doesn't get you the Grand Final prize.

To be honest, I feel the Sixers haven't changed as much as other teams. They should be getting it together early.

Hopefully we get 6 out of our first 8 games, the area we have struggled each year is winning the winnable first month of games.

Remember Creek has said he won't play for Adelaide again, doesn't mean he won't return and play for Joey.

Reply #705079 | Report this post

KET  
Years ago

When good teams leave players out and give time to junk time players and lose, fairly the fans of those teams won't be concerned in the slightest.

When a team not expected to do well plays well and wins the preseason it’s a glimmer of hope for an over achieving season ie. good chemistry, Sobey playing well again, majok and Drmic going next level and imports being strong this year.

Reply #705080 | Report this post

J  
Years ago

EYW, perth had no wagstaff, brandt, kay, norton and white in those games, played a larger group of nobody's... do they teach math in SA?

Reply #705082 | Report this post

EYW  
Years ago

J they certainly don't in Perth, what a filthy mess of a state. So glad it is isolated away from the important parts of Aus.

Reply #705085 | Report this post

EYW  
Years ago

You keyboard warriors in mummy's basement all counted Adelaide out last year and we saw how that went. You all ate your words. You'll do it again this year. If you actually watched the Adelaide game, you'd clearly see even their bench players were hitting shots, no one can control their offense, no one can keep up with them. They'll make the playoffs with ease.

I guess Perth losing today to us bought up memories from when we knocked you out last year... seems like this year will be more of Cotton holding up the entire team.

Reply #705087 | Report this post

Udog  
Years ago

Wow. I saw lots to like in the games Adelaide played but a little perspective might be needed before making major predictions on the season. As long as they're exciting to watch and competitive again I'm happy.

Reply #705089 | Report this post

FM  
Years ago

Is Wagstaff ok? I know he might of got the foul call, but seriously. Man bun or not, you just can't front the pub to chat with mates when you got flattened by Larkins.

Reply #705090 | Report this post

Train  
Years ago

@OP - Jesus christ dude, settle down - its just the pre-season.

Its all about teams getting their players warmed up and trying a few new things. None of the teams are showing their cards yet. 36ers have played well but lets not get too carried away.

RE: Perth v Adelaide - Given that both teams play each other in RD1, both teams would be far from showing their full bag of tricks. Perth were 3 starters down and coached by their 3rd string coach.

Reply #705091 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Illawarra are a dark horse contender, but not sure about Adelaide

Reply #705094 | Report this post

J  
Years ago

EYW you're right, knocking out Perth is a 36ers "championship" these days, its been a while since your last actual championship hasn't it? Luckily you don't sabotage your relationship with the best aussie talent, build long term winning culture...

Reply #705096 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Perth were 3 starters down and coached by their 3rd string coach.

So Gleeson coached?

Reply #705101 | Report this post

mystro  
Years ago

"You keyboard warriors in mummy's basement all counted Adelaide out last year and we saw how that went. You all ate your words."

how did anyone eat their words?
Is just making up the numbers in a GF series the pinnacle of sports for you?

Save that rant for when they actually win something.

Reply #705103 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

That's the Hawks vs Perth the other year or the year Adelaide got drilled in Perth in the third game. The 36ers would've won that Melbourne series but for a couple of unlucky incidents. You can say the championship is all that matters, but Adelaide were far from making up the numbers.

Pre-season is pre-season and they could well still bomb, but here are some arguments for Adelaide:

- main new face appears ready to contribute (scoring, rebounding, etc)
- no giant roster upheaval
- the roleplaying import isn't a vital cog, just needs to contribute
- proven coach
- main player lost is at a position with decent coverage (Drmic, McVeigh, Deng, etc); not like they have to make up 30 PPG from Creek going
- their Blitz wins were against the three most fancied teams, whoever they were missing

I think hopefully it's a sign we could have a fairly even league despite big teams ramping up and a couple of regional teams having to retool.

Reply #705115 | Report this post

Udog  
Years ago

I don't get the making up the numbers in the finals comment. 36ers have probably won more total games than any other team the past 2 seasons regular/ finals combined. Regularly score 100+ points and run rings around opposition defence. Game 3 was the turning point in that series. Losing Childress and ejecting Sobey but not Prather for doing exactly the same thing. 36ers could have easily won that series had things if not for a few questionable decisions and injury.

Reply #705116 | Report this post

alexkrad  
Years ago

lol

Reply #705243 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

UDog still crying because Sobey is a loose cannon. Cute. Adelaide flopping their way to the free throw line is the only thing which made the series a series. Move on.

Reply #705261 | Report this post

mystro  
Years ago

I don't get the making up the numbers in the finals comment. 36ers have probably won more total games than any other team the past 2 seasons regular/ finals combined. Regularly score 100+ points and run rings around opposition defence.

and yet no title........

Reply #705264 | Report this post

LoveBroker  
Years ago

While I agree with you the OP's statement that those who discounted the Sixers should 'eat their words' is borderline lunacy, the Sixers were hardly making up numbers in last year's GF.

Taking it to 5 games is not making up numbers, a 3 game sweep is, closest example would be Hawks Vs Wildcats and even then the Hawks didn't just lay down, they were ahead for much of those games.

Reply #705265 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

So Udog, you admit Sobey headbutted Prather? Cool, should be no argument that he deserved to be ejected then.

Reply #705267 | Report this post

LoveBroker  
Years ago

I actually want the Kings to make 4th place but be eliminated.

If Gaze doesn't make the playoffs he will be fired and we know from experience what happens when good teams get rid of bad coaches and replace them with good ones, eg Dean Demopolous -----> Dean Vickerman.

Reply #705268 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 5:17 am, Wed 24 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754