1 Melbourne United
2 Perth Wildcats
3 Adelaide 36ers
4 Sydney Kings
5 New Zealand Breakers
6 Illawarra Hawks
7 Brisbane bullets
8 Cairns Taipans

I think it will come down to Perth playing either Adelaide or Melbourne in the Grand Final Series. What are your thoughts?

Topic #43920 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

Agreed for the most part except I'd have the bottom as:

7. Daylight
8. Moonlight
9. Brisbane with the exposed dud of a coach Lemanis leading a strangely compiled squad

Reply #705126 | Report this post

Proud  
Years ago

Sydney
Perth
Melbourne
Illawarra

New Zealand
Cairns
Adelaide
Brisbane

I really hope that the semi finals can go 3 games each as that would have added spice especially with the NSW derby.

My tip is Sydney v Perth Grand final series with Sydney winning 3-2 and gave 5 being a sell out at Qudos Bank Arena

Reply #705130 | Report this post

Udog  
Years ago

Not sure I'd put Perth above Melbourne....

Reply #705134 | Report this post

KET  
Years ago

1. Sydney
2. Melbourne
3. Perth
4. New Zealand
5. Illawarra
6. Adelaide
7. Brisbane
8. Cairns

Reply #705137 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

1. Melbourne
2. Sydney
3. Perth
4. Brisbane
5. Adelaide
6. New Zealand
7. Cairns
8. Illawarra

Waiting for pending lols

Reply #705139 | Report this post

Manu Fieldel  
Years ago

Sydney
Melbourne
Cairns
NZ

Perth
Brisbane
Townsville
Adelaide
Illawarra

Reply #705141 | Report this post

Cbj  
Years ago

I think the fact that everyone has very different predictions means it'll be a close season which is what we all really want.

Reply #705142 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Perth
Melbourne
Sydney
NZ
Adelaide
Illawarra
Cairns
Brisbane

Reply #705143 | Report this post

Anon  
Years ago

I am laughing at the adelaide predictions at the bottom. Happens EVERY year and EVERY year since Joey joined, Adelaide has proven them wrong.

a good culture means much more than people think, and the culture i am referring to is the coaching staff and the playing group, not the admin/CEO - their boardroom antics do not have as much influence on a result as people like to think. This team is always thick as thieves.

Reply #705144 | Report this post

mystro  
Years ago

"I am laughing at the adelaide predictions at the bottom. Happens EVERY year and EVERY year since Joey joined, Adelaide has proven them wrong."

I'm laughing at you for accepting mediocrity as success.

Reply #705152 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Melbourne
New Zealand
Perth - could rise with 3rd Import
Adelaide
Sydney - will make moves imo
Illawarra
Brisbane
Cairns

Reply #705158 | Report this post

Captain Jack  
Years ago

Melbourne
Perth
Sydney
New Zealand

Adelaide
Illawarra
Brisbane
Cairns

With Adelaide and Illawarra only a game or 2 out of the top 4

Never completely right off Joey or Bevo no matter who is on their roster

Reply #705159 | Report this post

Manu Fieldel  
Years ago

NZ should make it imo. Perth isn't at all guaranteed a finals spot. They'll probably make it but if they miss it's no surprise

Reply #705161 | Report this post

Anon  
Years ago

Mystro, how the hell have i accepted mediocrity? i am referencing the yearly mass prediction of bottom 2 and every single year, they have defied the odds.

Is taking the grand final to game 5 mediocrity? hardly.

I back this team because i back the coach and the culture, maybe this year wont be ours but we certainly wont be bottom 2. That spot goes to poorly coached sides. Joey will always get the best out of every player, does it every year.

Reply #705162 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Years ago

Melbourne
Sydney
Perth
New Zealand

Adelaide
Brisbane
Illawarra
Cairns

Here's a prediction it wouldn't surprise me if the Kings sack Gaze midseason and make Bogut player/coach.

Reply #705166 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

At least of Illawarra and Adelaide will make the 4 - cannot see both joey and beveridge missing.

Reply #705167 | Report this post

NBL Fan  
Years ago

Melbourne
Sydney
Perth
Adelaide

NZ
Cairns
Illawarra
Brisbane

Reply #705168 | Report this post

Anonymous (he/kangaroo)  
Years ago

I don't understand people rating Illawarra so low or anyone thinking Brisbane will make the semi finals. With Cedric Jackson finding some form and Anderson showing his old wares it is very likely for me that they will either make the four, or they will be around the mark.

Brisbane has the strangest team make up yet again. Last year they had every mediocre power forward in the league and now they have every mediocre point guard. I don't really want to hear about how Gliddon and Cadee are Boomers, because they're Boomers in a spot where most teams splash out on imports and the best Australian point guards are largely playing in other leagues. Brisbane aren't going to do anything this season, Bairstow or not.

Adelaide overachieved at the Blitz in my opinion. Just-so-happened that Deleon was able to chuck his way into a good game and that was enough to be the difference. Other teams played deep into their benches and had injuries but Adelaide was actually rolling with the very best possible line ups. Only real bright spark I see is Wiley. Of course Johnson will continue to deliver but outside of that there's nothing there to suggest they're a genuine title contender - an outside shot at the fourth spot MAYBE.

I still think Melbourne are the team to beat. Perth aren't going to start missing playoffs this year. Sydney will do just enough to get in. And the fourth spot is between Illawarra, New Zealand and to a lesser extent, Adelaide.

-

Melbourne
Perth
Sydney
Illawarra

New Zealand
Adelaide
Cairns
Brisbane

Reply #705169 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Years ago

but Adelaide was actually rolling with the very best possible line ups.

No they weren't Sobey was rested yesterday and DJ, Wiley & Moore all played very limited minutes.

Reply #705171 | Report this post

Camel 31  
Years ago

adelaide - up tempo.... run and gun.... dont stop ...a bittava chance...
...... perth unlikely .............due to the refs......

Reply #705173 | Report this post

Hogwash  
Years ago

Melbourne

Perth
Sydney
both will make changes if necessary.

Adelaide and NZ to battle for fourth spot
Illawarra 6th but will be competitive
Brisbane
Cairns.

Reply #705175 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Adelaide
Perth
Melbourne
Illawarra
Sydney
NZ
Cairns
Brisbane

Perth 2nd due to home court advantages better than other sides.

Reply #705176 | Report this post

Brunson  
Years ago

"Adelaide was actually rolling with the very best possible line ups."

Average minutes for Sixers main players

22 Wiley
18 Johnson
28 Sobey but missed one game
22 Drmic and missed one
23 Moore
21 Deleon

Perth
29 Cotton

Reply #705177 | Report this post

Melbourne Boy  
Years ago

W-L Team

20-8 Melbourne
18-10 Sydney
16-12 Perth
16-12 NZ
14-14 Illawarra
12-16 Adelaide
12-16 Brisbane
4-24 Cairns

Reply #705179 | Report this post

Hogwash  
Years ago

Preseason stats are meaningless.

Reply #705180 | Report this post

Midrange  
Years ago

Sydney
Perth
Melbourne
Illawarra

Adelaide
Cairns
New Zealand
Brisbane

Reply #705182 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

What's the argument for NZ making the four in a competitive league? Am I forgetting something special about their roster?

Perth and Melbourne look strong. Sydney have talent and should get past early bumps. It's possible that one of Adelaide and Illawarra are not going to fall as dramatically as expected. Who would you bet on NZ to beat out? Or is it lack of faith in ADL/ILL?

All imports are new faces which is regularly risky. Change in coach. Brought in Weeks, Wesley, Majok and Webster. Lost Pledger, Loe, Vukona and Penney. The incoming set are pretty handy, but if you were offering the half-empty view (exaggerated for effect), you'd call Webster a chemistry-killing chucker, Weeks a team-hopping headless chicken, and Majok barely got minutes with Melbourne. (I thought Wesley was critical for United, so will leave him alone!)

Reply #705185 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

...... perth unlikely .............due to the refs......

*chuckle* That's a good impression of what their fans will say if they don't make the playoffs.

Funnier still is the fact they will probably qualify due to refs being weak as at Perth Arena.

Reply #705187 | Report this post

J  
Years ago

White, damo and brandt avg mins? Let's not let facts get in the way of a good story

Reply #705188 | Report this post

J  
Years ago

White, damo and brandt avg mins? Let's not let facts get in the way of a good story

Reply #705189 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Years ago

What's the argument for NZ making the four in a competitive league? Am I forgetting something special about their roster?

Top 4 last season, cleared out a fair bit of the dead wood, Webster returning likely matured/more of a green light/less pressure, Wesley returning, More growth from Shea Ili, Sosa wildly inconsistent gone, Rakeem poor attitude gone, Shawn Long had some good games in NBA, two veteran seemingly stable imports in Richard & Moore.

A lot to like with the Breakers might even crack Top 3 above Perth but probably a small drop below Melb & Sydney.

Reply #705191 | Report this post

Manu Fieldel  
Years ago

NZ because of their depth. Great depth.

They can take people off the dribble, can go get a bucket both inside and on the perimeter (Grown Man and Webster), they can rebound (Wesley, Long, Delany, Moore, Abercrombie), shooting (Ngatai, Weeks, Abercrombie, Richard, Webster, Long can stretch), they can access each other from both inside and out (Ili can penetrate, Wesley is an outstanding passer), they're athletic. I'm big on them and I think Ngatai will break out. They can defend, Moore is a Draymond Green. Rim protection. They have the package

Reply #705192 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Years ago

I should've mentioned the loss of Newbill will hurt though I rated him their best import last season, very underrated player.

Reply #705194 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Sydney don't go past seven players, will struggle if lisch, Newley or Bogut go down for any period of time. Randle will be good, kickett ok,, Wear okand pineau ok, the rest don’t look nbl quality, no matter what there resume says.

Reply #705206 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Sydney will be lucky to make the 4 the way they sit right now. Even if they change the stiff import I'm not sure it will make much change to their current issues.

Reply #705208 | Report this post

Glen  
Years ago

Adelaide
Brisbane
Cairns
Illawarra
Melbourne
New Zealand
Perth
Sydney

;-)

Reply #705221 | Report this post

LV  
Years ago

1. United- originally had Sydney but Kennedy looks the perfect fit.

2. Sydney- Bogut will keep the ship steady and get the talent on the same page. Wear will go and Bogut might help select a new import.

3. Perth- Strong system. Decent Aussie group and will keep rolling through imports if unhappy.

4. NZ- Deep. Experienced. Long looks good. Ili can step up.

5. Adelaide

6. Illawarra- chips on their shoulders and Bevo is a master coach

7. Brisbane- They look talented enough but....I dumno. Just a vibe I guess. But they just smell like they might underachieve.

8. Cairns - Too many questions on Jawai's health. The two new imports look talented but are young. At least one should struggle but looking at the roster they all need to be pretty good for them to succeed. More roster turnover than most teams but unlike say Illawarra, the coach isn't a proven performer who we know could still get them going.

Hard to tip. I haven't paid much attention to pre season results.

Reply #705228 | Report this post

Chris  
Years ago

Im a Kings fan, not the usual negative type either, but cannot see them in the Top 2. I am hopeful of a Playoff run. The current mishmash of players is the strangest lot I have seen. I think they missed Kickert a lot at the Blitz, he has been one of the better scorers in the preseason games Ive seen.

Bogut is going to prove a major issue if they don't win the bulk of their games. He has already vented many frustrations in a manner which players normally never would. Not a bad thing (for fans), but not great for team harmony. I'm hoping his preseason is just a slow wind in to the season, but the stats don't suggest there is as much left in the tank as I'd hoped.

Reply #705235 | Report this post

alexkrad  
Years ago

Top 3 - Melbourne, Perth, Sydney
Middle 3 - Adelaide, Illawarra, NZ
Bottom 2 - Brisbane, Cairns

Reply #705244 | Report this post

Jumpshot  
Years ago

This is what will go down at the Kings:

1. Kings will get rid of Wear and select 2 new imports.

2. Kings will start losing games.

3. A player will come up with an "injury".

4. Gaze will use the injury as an excuse.

5. Kings won't make the play-offs.

6. Gaze and JVC are given the boot by Quodos.

7. New coach next year: Bevo.

Reply #705248 | Report this post

Jumpshot  
Years ago

"Sydney don't go past seven players, will struggle if lisch, Newley or Bogut go down for any period of time. Randle will be good, kickett ok,, Wear okand pineau ok, the rest don't look nbl quality, no matter what there resume says."

Are you kidding? Wear can't hit a pond with a rock. Pineau - fumble, turn-over, 3 second violations, soft fouls and one everytime he fouls.

Adnam is a gun scorer who holds a championship ring. Wilson is MVP of SEABL. Deng Deng has shown quality ball, and Bowen has import qualities at 18 years old.

Reply #705249 | Report this post

Melbourne Boy  
Years ago

Is there anyone at all besides the delusional Manu who thinks Cairns won't be bottom 2?

Reply #705256 | Report this post

GordonG  
Years ago

Not sure where we will end up (Cairns). Ask me again in February :)

Reply #705257 | Report this post

Manu Fieldel  
Years ago

Nah I'm only kidding about top 3. We'll make the eight

Reply #705258 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

Could finish anywhere. Plenty of talent, some quality defenders, but lots of question marks from the coach down.

Reply #705260 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Adnam is a gun scorer who holds a championship ring. Wilson is MVP of SEABL. Deng Deng has shown quality ball, and Bowen has import qualities at 18 years old.

Adnam played for a championship team, Wilson seabl mvp, it's nice to have friends, his side ran 12th.
Bowen offensively is a super athlete, but doesn’t understand team play, Deng could improve but long way to go.
One thing all the above have in common is they don’t play defence, go and look at their plus-minus from the blitz, not certain kings need offence players only lol.
Kings will be relying on Newley, Lisch, Bogut and Pineau for defence, Randle will play defence but is not an outstanding defender.
Sydney always seem to pick offensive minded players first, their core 5-7 guys stay healthy they will be a chance other wise it’s curtains.

Reply #705266 | Report this post

Cram  
Years ago

While Wilson's team may have been 12th, they were only 2 games out of 6th in what was a very tightly contested mid table battle in the league. He was also one of only 3 players on that team that made consistent contributions, and was clearly the best of the three, with the next best likely to play a big role in Cairns.

I think Wilson will surprise some people this season. Kid can play.

Reply #705272 | Report this post

Jumpshot  
Years ago

There were plenty of times last year, when Adnam came on and gave Melbourne a shot in the arm. A well deserved championship ring.

Reply #705276 | Report this post

Jack Toft  
Years ago

My only ladder prediction is that South East Melbourne finishes 9th

Reply #705298 | Report this post

Mock  
Years ago

Melbourne (Goulding raining threes ALL DAMN YEAR, Ware trash talk king)
Perth (2nd after regular season, but win it all, Damo DPOY again)
Illawarra (surprise packets)
NZ (smart, TOUGH, better systems than Sydney)

Sydney (Randle has to carry them for long stretches. Bowen will ball out)
Adelaide (Joey suspended 2 games after sack whacking Aylen)
Brisbane (Cadee goes 1/19 in a big game)
Cairns (Shame for Cairns, but they lack stars)

Reply #705306 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

My only ladder prediction is that South East Melbourne finishes 9th

While the Huskies are down on the floor envious of those who are actually on the ladder.

Reply #705322 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Brisbane (Cadee goes 1/19 in a big game)

This is a lock to happen. But then again we're all haters of someone with their own clothing line (lol).

Reply #705323 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Early days but breakers I feee are not balanced

Long appears foul prone

Practically means Wesley covers 4 and 5. Better hope neither get injured

Too many wing men

Reply #705430 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 6:21 am, Wed 24 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754