Isaac
Years ago

BA CEO Anthony Moore to depart

Press release:

The Board of Basketball Australia today announced the imminent departure of Chief Executive Officer Anthony Moore.

Moore, who has been in the role since October 2014, will finish at the upcoming Annual General Meeting on 27 October.

Ned Coten, Basketball Australia Chair said, "Anthony has made a terrific contribution as CEO. He has played a major role in helping steer BA to improved financial stability and securing an historic commercial deal which will see USA Basketball play Australia before more than 100,000 fans in Melbourne in August 2019.

"The BA Board and Anthony have mutually agreed that now is the right time for a new Chief Executive to take the business into its next phase of growth. The Board thanks Anthony and wish him well in his future roles."

“BA is better placed for the challenges of the new era due to Anthony's efforts.” Coten added.

The decision follows Moore’s successful delivery of key priorities during his four year tenure, and a Board review of the five year strategy.

Working with his team and the Board, Moore’s contribution has included overseeing a significant financial turnaround of the business with revenue rising from $10.1m in 2014/15 to a forecast $23.6m in 2018/19; development towards a National Registration System for the sport; record participation numbers; forging closer ties with the Australian Sports Commission, Australian Olympic Committee and Australian Paralympic Committee; and great international success in men’s and women’s basketball, across both our senior and junior programmes.

Outgoing Chief Executive, Anthony Moore said, “It has been both a privilege and my absolute pleasure to lead the sport I love. I’m very proud of BA’s achievements under my leadership and want to ensure our Executive team, Board and State Associations are in the best possible position for the challenges ahead.

"I also want to thank the Board for their support and guidance to me as CEO. It’s been a great experience to lead through this time of development and success for the sport of basketball.

“We have built the reputation of Basketball Australia here at home and internationally. In part this is thanks to staging the 2016 Olympic qualifiers at Rod Laver Arena - returning basketball to a big arena. The sold-out double header of 15,000 fans for our Opals and Boomers set the benchmark for our ambitions.

"My hope is that next year’s Boomers vs USA Basketball games will write basketball’s page in the history of Australian sport. I now look forward to watching that as a basketball fan.”

The Board and Moore have agreed that the search and transition process will begin immediately in order to onboard the new CEO as far as possible in advance of the 2020 Olympic and Paralympic Games.

Paul Maley (BA’s GM - Leagues and Competitions) will be the Acting CEO whilst this process is underway.

Topic #43925 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

"I'm very proud of BA’s achievements under my leadership and want to ensure our Executive team, Board and State Associations are in the best possible position for the challenges ahead".

Pretty sure the SEABL clubs would disagree with this statement.

Reply #705285 | Report this post

anon  
Years ago

I guarantee SEABL clubs would disagree....and now Maley is in charge, hmmmm

Reply #705289 | Report this post

LC  
Years ago

End of contract. Was always on the cards and half expected by those inside the circle of trust.

What is surprising is that they have not yet anointed a successor and instead given Paul Maley the caretaker role.

Reply #705303 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I think he did an absolutely fantastic job. Very dedicated and hard working, and left BA in a much stronger position than when he entered. I wish Anthony all the best moving forward.

Reply #705308 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Anyone in the role looks good compared after Kristina Keneally's stint of non-performance.

Reply #705318 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Jayco, Wattle Valley, Helloworld. What happened to these sponsors and why is there nothing on the front of the Boomers jersey?

Reply #705368 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Anthony said in his departing speech. Thanks for the donation of all your cash SEABL. A proud moment to remember Anthony.

Reply #705369 | Report this post

Reality  
Years ago

Anthony did a great job but then again it was a high hurdle to jump over compared to Kenneally (Still can't believe Premier and on company boards) as she had no idea how to run or improve BA at all and we became a laughing stock.

SEABL might want to point fingers at the comp manager who is now the acting CEO more so than Moore who was more focus on commercial outcomes.

Hopefully BA find a good CEO and fast as can't say many have great confidence in the acting one

Reply #705375 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Yes. Maley. Hmmmmm

Reply #705394 | Report this post

anon  
Years ago

Maley hasnt showed much promise overseeing SEABL or WNBL so how on earth will he be any good at the helm....you really have to wonder just who does infact do the selections of these positions

Reply #705398 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Was Maley there when the SEABL stupidly agreed to join BA?

Reply #705402 | Report this post

Smith  
Years ago

Did his utmost to run the Boomerangs program into the ground. The next twelve months will tell whether he has been successful. Not a great human being, let alone CEO.

Reply #705406 | Report this post

anon  
Years ago

"Did his utmost to run the Boomerangs program into the ground. The next twelve months will tell whether he has been successful. Not a great human being, let alone CEO.""

who? Maley or Moore?

Reply #705413 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Smith, regardless of which person you are directing those comments towards, your words are a joke and show a complete lack of insight into the amount of work that has been undertaken and the amount of progress that AM in particular has made to basketball in this country. It has always been a mess, and at least Anthony has given us a huge amount of stability. Just look at the number of players we have in the NBA now, and our national team. NBA Junior programs, Eltham heading to Orlando, Basketball Without Borders, NBAxNBL, USA coming to Australia. He has been huge.

Reply #705427 | Report this post

Reality  
Years ago

Moore's job as CEO is all about getting the business and figures in order including growing revenue which he has done very well.

The participation and elite level performance is assigned to others however ultimately they reported to him or the board but to be a good CEO of BA isn't about knowing or playing the game but about running it as a business.

If in the end more money is in the pot and its growing year on year that will result in improved performance due to investments in the game.

Reply #705428 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

If you're the CEO of BA.. Why would you leave when the Olympics are around the
corner and both the Opals & Boomers have a legitimate chance of winning a medal?

Reply #705528 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Pushed?

Reply #705529 | Report this post

LC  
Years ago

End of contract. Not being renewed.

Reply #705530 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Jayco, Wattle Valley, Helloworld. What happened to these sponsors and why is there nothing on the front of the Boomers jersey?

Isn't Chemist Warehouse on the jerseys? Is on the Opals but it is so low that when they tuck their tops in the logo is all but hidden.

Reply #705547 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Under Moore's watch Joyce was appointed Opals coach was he not? That is shocking.

Reply #705581 | Report this post

Reality  
Years ago

Moore didn't appoint the coaches! He was there to run the numbers and get the business side ticking along.

Much like an sporting groups CEO isn't there to appoint the coach they get a panel of people to do that for them as the CEO's expertise is in growing revenues and returns.

Reply #705584 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Who is to blame for the appointment? It still is baffling. They need to be named and shamed.

Reply #705587 | Report this post

Reality  
Years ago

Safe to assume it wasn't the CEO! Fingers should be pointed to "high performance"

Reply #705612 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 6:10 am, Thu 25 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754