EYW
Years ago

Bogut whinging - should he just have retired?

Why did he even sign with a basketcase of a club like the Kings? Surely Melbourne threw in a decent enough offer...

Andrew better learn to enjoy playing under a bloke that couldn't coach the under 16's, because under Gaze he'll foul out nearly every game.

I'm calling it - He'll sign with Melbourne next year for certain.

Topic #43928 | Report this topic

NBL Fan  
Years ago

I'm bored- may I should bait on a forum?

Reply #705336 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Should have retired but he's not too bright.

Reply #705338 | Report this post

ME (he/kangaroo)  
Years ago

"Why did he even sign with a basketcase of a club like the Kings? Surely Melbourne threw in a decent enough offer...

Andrew better learn to enjoy playing under a bloke that couldn't coach the under 16's, because under Gaze he'll foul out nearly every game.

I'm calling it - He'll sign with Melbourne next year for certain."

He has a two year deal, plus equity in the club, so clearly you have no idea what the hell you're talking about.

Reply #705341 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Plus, Melbourne didn't want him

Reply #705343 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Yes he has equity we know that but it's still a bad situation he has put himself in. Did he even see their shocking season that just passed?

Reply #705347 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

... plus it's not like he needs the work.

Reply #705348 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Im not a sydney fan, but I believe Bogut is good for the league. Anything that draws more publicity, crowds and viewer. Short sighted to want him to struggle due to refs or go.

Reply #705351 | Report this post

Tweedledum  
Years ago

Do people really want to see a defensive centre that's past it. The first time might have some novelty value but are we really excited to see someone blocking out and grabbing defensive rebounds. Bit like Cam Bairstow, not really that exciting.

Reply #705352 | Report this post

ME (he/kangaroo)  
Years ago

"Do people really want to see a defensive centre that's past it. The first time might have some novelty value but are we really excited to see someone blocking out and grabbing defensive rebounds. Bit like Cam Bairstow, not really that exciting."

Well people who actually appreciate basketball do. If you're 13 years old and everything in the world has to be a dunk, maybe not.

Reply #705357 | Report this post

Manu Fieldel  
Years ago

These people here mustn't have watched much Sydney in the pre-season. He has been been great and scores whenever he wants to.

Sydney will be top 2 and Bogut will shut a lot of people up very quickly

Reply #705361 | Report this post

Pointybits  
Years ago

Bogut has equity in the Kings and an option to buy 50%. He comes from years of disciplined bball so playing in a defensive shambles is unexpected. The telling quote was the teams focus completely on offence with little emphasis on defence and this shows.
The Kings are a team of individual champions lacking direction. Bogut spoke honestly.
Question is does the coach have the ability to control his champions?

Reply #705363 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Their"shocking season” last year is probably the reason he did sign with Kings, he can ensure they don't have a repeat.

Reply #705364 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Once again his mouth and his twitter post are more productive than his
performance on the court.

He has been overly used as the Kings spokesperson and now should shut
up until he starts dominating on the court.

So far for a 7 footer and been playing average basketball, showing zero
consistent signs that he'll be the best center in the nbl this season
by having a double/double stat line.

36ers, Perth and Utd is a given to make this years playoffs.

NZ, Cains, Hawks will all believe they can be the 4th team.

The pressure is on Bogut to be in beast mode every game, be
that rim protector, use his 7 foot frame to score & rebound to
get double/double numbers. If he doesn't the Kings will miss out
on the finals again!!

Reply #705371 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

I think it's great that he's returned to play in the NBL. He presumably could've coasted along in retirement or played somewhere else in the world, but here he'll be a bit of a drawcard for every team he visits. Great for the NBL and he gets paid too.

But he could certainly think a bit more about what he's saying. There are news-making statements that keep the league in the news, but criticising the refs in the way he has isn't particularly helpful.

Reply #705382 | Report this post

Thunder Jam  
Years ago

Considering players were fouling out in 15 mins in the Blitz, the Ref's deserve all the touch ups they get.

Reply #705387 | Report this post

BobnCat  
Years ago

I am hoping he is the start of ex NBA players coming home and buying into/being given % of shares in ownership across the board. This will be better exposure and help develop the game. Also hoping if this occurs it will be a platform for expansion and this will only assist us in creating more opportunities for our home grown talent. Can only hope!

Reply #705411 | Report this post

Johnt15  
Years ago

What gets me is the amount of complaining on this forum during the NBL season about the officiating. Yet a player does it and everyone crucifies him. Wouldn't it be more frustrating for the players playing the game as opposed to the keyboard warriors on here?

Reply #705414 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

When the biggest star the league has ever seen encourages people to leave at halftime, then its a problem.

Reply #705421 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Players foul out in 15 minutes? According to Sixer fans it is because their team is aggressive and teams should learn to defend them better. Someone pass that along to Andrew. I mean, come on, they don't flop at all.

Serious note, the league needs to cut down on the amount of offensive foul calls where contact is exaggerated. Flop warning, then technicals. Happened far too much in the past, and also at the Blitz. I'm looking at you Glitton. I'm looking at you Deng. But you guys are not alone.

Reply #705423 | Report this post

PeterJohn  
Years ago

Johnt15 - people post selectively. The ref critics seem not be posting in this thread. Likewise, the posts in the other thread picking on Bogut's comments seem not be posted from avatars who routinely complain about the NBL referees and refereeing.

Reply #705429 | Report this post

EYW  
Years ago

Anon423 pussycat didn't want to be called out - Sixers play agressive. Maybe if your team did aswell they would get the same calls? Yeah? Shut your mouth then. You only complain about it because it's not the style of play your team executes. If it was Sydney or Melbourne doing it, it'd be "good for the league".

Reply #705477 | Report this post

Pop  
Years ago

"Considering players were fouling out in 15 mins in the Blitz".

Doesn't mean the officials were crap. Might have been, or the above statement could be an indication that the officials are actually going to officiate more or less as the rules are written and that the players are going to be expected to play [more or less] in line with the word and spirit of the rules.

Please say it's so!

Reply #705541 | Report this post

jumpshot  
Years ago

Bogut is right about the officiating. Everytime a gaurd drives to the basket he gets a soft foul. You will see this with Ware and CG Floppy 3 - if they can't hit the 3PG, they will drive to the basket, flick their head back with minor contact, and the Ref calls a foul.

The officiating is turning the game into a boring bunch of wusses.

Bogut, however is unlikely to win this battle against the NBL officiating because they have not listened to anyone for many years.

So if you can't beat them, join them. Gaze must send the Kings' players to acting school, and as soon as you feel a slight contact, flick your head back, and get a foul. Bogut must attack the ring and draw contact on every post play - Beast Mode.

Reply #705620 | Report this post

That Hardly works any time drimic Teys or sobey goes to ground it's an automatic flop no matter how hard the charge

The officiating in the nbl is the biggest blight on the game has been for many years, they are a Protected species as well can’t speak ill of them or you’ll cop a fine

Reply #706602 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 5:30 pm, Fri 29 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754