Anonymous
Years ago

Leagues who have overtaken NBL re: Asia

LK was trying every angle to get NBL into Asia or have some sort of Chinese (=$$$) involvement to no avail.

Since then ASEAN Basketball League keeps expanding and now in the space of two years have added three-four new teams to their existing SE Asian teams in Taiwan, Hong Kong, Macau and China. Ten teams in total now in ten countries.

Today ABL announced a TV deal with Fox Sports. 40 regular season games between mid-November to January which may be why NBL isn't all live on Fox anymore? This is despite Fox loading up on live cricket another bat sport. One of the reasons ABL got the deal is because the games will be also aired into Asia since they added a Korean team and baseball is huge in Korea/Japan. They also added NZ.

Two leagues in our region who have progressed into China or Asia rapidly super recently after LK's ideas stalled.

Food for thought.

Topic #43934 | Report this topic

ME (he/kangaroo)  
Years ago

1) NBL is still entirely live on Fox
2) who gives a flying fuck if some shitty Asian league has made a bigger footprint in Asia than we have?

The problem with China was always going to be giving them a reason to care, and to give them a reason to care, you either need Chinese players here - which is too expensive, seeing as their equivalent of Brendan Teys would be on our import money over there - or to base a team in China - the logistical issues of which would be absolutely insurmountable. So if there is a league that is actually in Asia, which can reasonably base a team in China, then it should be absolutely no surprise that they'd leapfrog the NBL in relevance on reach in that region.

For one, I think we should drop the China experiment. They're not interested. They're not going to be interested. It was an intriguing thought for a minute but we tried it and the dream is dead in the water now. No need for the year NBL All Star (who aren't even All Stars) vs China B team clashes anymore.

Reply #705517 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Agreed ME but just pointing out what has developed since.

Reply #705518 | Report this post

Benno  
Years ago

The asian leagues are trash

Reply #705519 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

No doubt.

Reply #705520 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

1) NBL is still entirely live on Fox
The press release announcing the Fox deal goes out of its way to avoid saying every game is live.

Reply #705521 | Report this post

Melbourne Boy  
Years ago

The only games not live on fox will be the ones that 9 show live, so we'll see every game live.

Reply #705522 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Both those leagues have always been bigger in Asia than the NBL, so they can't really have "overtaken" the NBL.

Reply #705523 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

The only games not live on fox will be the ones that 9 show live, so we'll see every game live.
That's been my assumption, but I haven't seen anything confirmed one way or the other.

Reply #705526 | Report this post

Aussie  
Years ago

It's interesting because the Foxtel print tv guide states the times of the games from October 11th to October 14th.

Then from October 19th to the 29th, there are no times stated, just TBA (Check your electronic programming guide closer to these fixtures for scheduling times).

Despite what some are saying, I'm not convinced that EVERY game will be telecast LIVE on Fox Sports either.

Reply #705534 | Report this post

ME (he/kangaroo)  
Years ago

"Despite what some are saying, I'm not convinced that EVERY game will be telecast LIVE on Fox Sports either."

They might be still figuring out which channels to put it on for that week. I remember first week of the first season of the deal they played a lot of games on their Fox Sports News channel.

Reply #705540 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Does the NBL even know what time the games are on?

Reply #705542 | Report this post

FYI  
Years ago

Perth are still a real chance to join ASEAN. They have been close before and would be the best located geographically. Giving members 22% of their revenue back would be killing Jack for no off set benefit. Perth have lost the most under the LK regime, NRS, now membership revenue and poor TV slots that damage gate takings.

Reply #705543 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

NRS?

Yes Marvin used the ASEAN card to bluff the NBL but was called on it and he folded quickly re: LK offer. Not close.

Reply #705545 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Would any Australian players really want to play in a league involving the Philippines at this point?

Reply #705550 | Report this post

FYI  
Years ago

Vlahov was very close to taking Perth there. Marvin also investigated it and it would be financially superior for the team to be involved vs the NBL.

Reply #705551 | Report this post

kr  
Years ago

I still think a champions league tournment at the end of the season is the way to go. Top four teams from each league battle it out over a couple of weeks. Run it in asia one year and oz the next.

Reply #705557 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Asia as a whole do not want anything to do with Australia or Oceania (NZ) for that matter. They hate the fact we are now in the Asia Cup (all levels) and hate we are in the Asia qualifying pool. I'd highly doubt they would be too welcoming to the NBL Champion showing up and winning the title of a Champions league year after year.

Reply #705561 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Exactly. They hate how far ahead we are of them. If NBL clubs entered Asian club tournaments it would be a bloodbath for them so it won't be happening.

Reply #705577 | Report this post

Reality  
Years ago

@Anon is correct the Asian teams hate the fact we are in there FIBA pool as they don't see as as an Asian country particularly when we roll out a team of White and Black dudes who as a general rule are better athletes when it comes to bball. together with our great facilities and better developed talent.

If Perth went to ASEAN they'd had to have stepped down to the comps level or they'd soon have been out of the league! No one wants a new team to come in and smash everyone by 30+pts

Reply #705583 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

That ASEAN whatever league isn't even better than the ABA

stop with this dumb comparison

Reply #705614 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The comparison was to do with new markets entered, not the standard of play.

Reply #705642 | Report this post

Libertine  
Years ago

I'm not going to bother reposting what I post every time this type of thing comes up except that in February while in Singapore I caught a Slingers game ( https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dFSHRjrXrkE - I'm sitting on right hand side of camera next to the right bench, white shirt, on corner of baseline and sidleine).

The standard is garbage and there were less than 1000 people in attendance.

Nothing to worry about.

Reply #706250 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Look I'm the OP of this thread and I know it is garbage. Never said it wasn't.

Reply #706261 | Report this post

Libertine  
Years ago

Why chase Asian money when it's clear that basketball needs to consolidate, grow, and expand in Australia first?

Reply #706284 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Ask LK as he was the one trying to get China involved.

Reply #706293 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 2:36 pm, Fri 19 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754