Isaac
Years ago

NBL to develop University Basketball League

Topic #43936 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

I think this will be tough in Australia. Good talent will go to NBL or NCAA or be at the Centre of Excellence. Will be tough to have a strong league.
Furthermore, they'll be competing with club teams Australia wide.

I’d like to see anything basketball related succeed, and I’m happy to be proven wrong on this.

Reply #705600 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Should fix the wnbl first Larry. Please...

Reply #705601 | Report this post

LC  
Years ago

Not a bad idea...but first get the NBL right, and get 3x3 Hustle right, and then...

Reply #705603 | Report this post

KET  
Years ago

I like the vision and ambition in this, how it is executed will be interesting.

We've had hypotheticals in the past of what that might look like, ive indulged in it in a few lengthy posts.

The only problem is, this might take away/compete/dilute the talent in ABL/ABA.

Reply #705606 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Is this a replacement for SEABL?

A good idea for the NBL to partner with the Unis and get them to host and fund the next tier of talent

Be interesting to see how this league turns out and what players participate in it

Reply #705608 | Report this post

Reality  
Years ago

Unlike the States guys walk straight out of high and can earn $100K plus in a trade thus the % of University students who could fit the mould of basketball player is low. The other issue is many of the unis have a far larger number of international students than locals so would they count as imports/visa players?

Reply #705610 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I don't see how a league of uni kids can be anywhere near as good as an ABA team

Reply #705613 | Report this post

Curtley  
Years ago

It would dilute ABA etc, im guessing this aim is to eventually be above those leagues cos it wouldnt work without the travel given theres only 3 unis in SA. Is SEABLs demise anything to do with this?

Reply #705615 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Nope. There already are World Uni games.

Reply #705621 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

They're creating another revenue stream. Nothing to do with the elite athletes it would seem. Basketball is Basketball.

Reply #705626 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I dont see the real elites of universities leaving the ABA to play in the uni league, not sure how the quality of this uni league would be high enough for it to produce NBL talent

Reply #705627 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

There is an assumption that all good ballers want to go to the US college system. That's incorrect. Many great junior ballers are more than happy to go to a world class university here in Aus knowing their future beyond ballin is secure, they have family, friends, financial support and lifestyle. They may be realistic about their opportunity to make NBA. They pursue SEABL, ABL QBL Premier league etc, and try for a development spots with NBL and some make it to other leagues overseas. Many college players end up right back where those that didn’t leave are or in worse position ball and afterball career wise, we never hear about those and there are many. Those who stay have forged a life for themselves and most importantly happy. We need to remember for all the success stories we hear there are hundreds and thousands of those that are not. Financially most college placements are not fully funded as well so that plays a huge factor for some talent as well. We should celebrate those that stay as they are maintaining the grassroots of our state leagues and backfilling NBL teams. This keeps basketball alive in Aus and thats important as well. They are coaches and junior development leaders. We need them as much as college reps.

Reply #705628 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Another revenue stream?

Uni basketball would be a losing proposition, wouldn't come close to making any cash!

Reply #705631 | Report this post

UseTaHoop  
Years ago

Reality

No Australian uni has more international students than local students:

http://theconversation.com/who-goes-to-university-the-changing-profile-of-our-students-40373

I looked at other web pages. Highest % I saw was 40.9% at Murdoch.

Reply #705633 | Report this post

Leighton  
Years ago

In the US
High School
College
G-League
NBA

In Australia at present
Club Juniors
ABL (at same Club as Juniors)
NBL

Is this how the new model would work?
Club for Juniors
University (leave your Club, scholarships?)
ABL (come back to your Club)
NBL

Reply #705635 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

What would that mean for the U23s in SA, its terrible as it is, with a uni league it would be almost non-existence

U23s where nobody watches nor gives a crap, or college, where players would most likely drown in college girls....simple choice really

Reply #705636 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

There is nothing to say players can't compete in the uni league and the CBL. In fact, I think you can be pretty certain players from state leagues and the NBL who are at uni will be part of the plans for this new comp.

Reply #705637 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Players will want in if it includes a scholarship.

Reply #705644 | Report this post

jjj  
Years ago

Like to see this succeed but I have reservations. Having said that a number of universities are sponsoring top level clubs already. So it is not such a stretch.

Reply #705706 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

where would the SA unis play...theres no way Basketball SA would let them use their stadiums

Reply #705707 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Better off having an academy league.

Reply #705708 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Do any of the 3 SA unis have a stadium that can hold a decent crowd?

Reply #705709 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Awesome idea. It will work if the units have the money. Clubs get them back when their uni is over.
Will be interesting to see if other international sports look to do the same thing. Hope so.

Reply #705711 | Report this post

AD  
Years ago

On the one hand, its a great idea.
US College "degrees" are basically dime a dozen, even in the USA. (Keep in mind that all the really useful qualifications are actually post-grad qualifications in the US system.)

A smart kid, who knows he's not going to the NBA after a year, who recognises he may have a 40 year career as an Engineer or what have you, is probably better off staying in Australia and studying.
But the problem is, where does he further his basketball career? Polishing the bench as a DP doesn't really cut it.

Unfortunately though, I just don't see a University league rising to much quality. And if you want a decent crack at a Basketball career, then you're probably better off in the US system.

Reply #705722 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Dazz it's the weekend so hurry on to your property outside of Perth!

Reply #705725 | Report this post

UseTaHoop  
Years ago

AD

Not entirely true.

Some undergrad degrees are valued. Definitely not "communications" type degrees though.

There are also Board exams to aging eligibility for professional associations. In some cases it's more regulated than here in Australia: even with Federal govt funding of the industry and reviews of evidence based practices the feds still let new graduates practice in spite of their quals not requiring them to learn evidence based practices.

Reply #705735 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

There's more than a few guys who have been through the US college system. How many are putting those degrees to good use?
And are they better off than with an Australian degree?

I think if you look only at the academic and career situation, then an Australian degree is easily better for most people.

Reply #705807 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Not really. What you study is the key. It's easy to choose many of the junk degrees on offer to be on easy street. Those won't get you a job in the US let alone Australia.

Reply #705809 | Report this post

PersonalFoul  
Years ago

Not sure how this works and haven't thought hard enough about it but it would seem to kill off any U23 leagues that States are running (YL in BigV comes to mind) but shouldn't effect State League Teams except maybe lower ranked Div2 sides made up of young uni guys who enjoy playing with school than club.

Has the ability to open up more jobs in basketball, coaches, strength coaches, administrators etc so not a bad thing and potentially better facilities as the uni's have more cash than clubs do and don't always have to deal with councils when wanting to upgrade or build - just look at LaTrobe Uni going nuts with sports facilities.

Reply #706305 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 5:55 am, Sat 20 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754