Ingles13
Years ago

Perth Wildcats v Utah Jazz

Liam Santamaria reporting that Joe Ingles is out for this game due to lower leg soreness

Topic #43942 | Report this topic

Aussie  
Years ago

Damian Martin out for Perth too

Reply #705849 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Jesus. Be nice if the Cats could make a shot.

Reply #705857 | Report this post

Timberball  
Years ago

No Brandt is an issue but no one can matchup on Rudy. We have no height.

Reply #705858 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Can hear a pin drop. This game is a snooze fest

Reply #705859 | Report this post

Timberball  
Years ago

Terrico 'Chucker' White

Reply #705860 | Report this post

Timberball  
Years ago

Terrico 'Chucker' White

Reply #705861 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

White is not the answer for the Cats. Won't last the season.

Reply #705862 | Report this post

Melbourne Boy  
Years ago

Cotton looks like an u16 kid playing Seniors

Reply #705863 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

This is embarrassing. Even the Kings put up more of a fight than this. Setback for the whole concept.

Reply #705864 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Perth out here embarrassing the NBL. Cried cause they didnt get a game a game last season and they give us this type of effort..

Reply #705865 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Lol settle down idiots

Reply #705866 | Report this post

Brunson  
Years ago

"Even the Kings put up more of a fight than this"

Kings haven't played yet champ

Perth's defense and effort is just terrible. Foul shooting horrible also. No movement of the ball on offense....

Reply #705867 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Hire could spend more time playing, getting back in transition and hitting free throws rather than pointing the whole time

Reply #705868 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Perth wont even make the top 4 this season

Reply #705869 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I'm talking about last year’s game imbecile. That was pathetic from Perth any way you slice it.

Reply #705870 | Report this post

Melbourne Boy  
Years ago

If Utah were getting paid $$ for every point, they could win this by 100.

Reply #705871 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

If Martin and Brandt were playing, the Wildcats would be winning...by double digits...that is just a FACT.

Reply #705872 | Report this post

James Naismith  
Years ago

oh my....

Reply #705873 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Nearly 50 dropped on them in the first quarter perth is horrible

Reply #705874 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Years ago

Down 30+ at Qtr time lol

Hopefully the Jazz start resting some guys and lower their intensity because it won't be a good look if Perth get pumped by 50-60 points.

Reply #705875 | Report this post

TM  
Years ago

44 13

Reply #705876 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Lucky the Jazz took all the starters out.

Reply #705877 | Report this post

Cbj  
Years ago

You think two players would result in a 40 point turn around? Yeh for sure.

This honestly is embarrassing and we can only hope the other teams playing over there can prove the class and skill of nbl.

Reply #705878 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Jazz on track for a 200pt game

Reply #705879 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

and the wildcats looking at 50.... offense looks terrible, they all look totally lost.

Reply #705880 | Report this post

Timberball  
Years ago

Idiots on here trying to connect losing to a team who got to the second round of the western conference playoffs to success in an 8 team NBL. This is an embarrassing display but its not an indicator for the season.

Reply #705881 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Hey Perth next time stay home, thanks

Reply #705882 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

So far...
Perth is really struggling with Utah's quickness but particularly their size and length. Gobert ate them up in the first qtr.

Some player notes...
Terrico White - Looking ordinary. Agreed, might not last the full season
Nick Kay - Lacking the smarts to make up for his lack of length. Looks like he’s glued to the floor at times. Definite downgrade on Matt Knight (healthy)
Rhys Vague - Like his confidence, but his perimeter touch doesn’t match his enthusiam
Greg Hire - Clearly still on the team for his leadership... Outside of that, he’s offering nothing. He shouldn’t have been offered a roster spot this year

Reply #705883 | Report this post

Melbourne Boy  
Years ago

Haha, 40 points down and Gobert and Mitchell check back in the game... wish Gleeson was miked up

Reply #705884 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Terrico White 2/11 nice signing gleeson you spud

Reply #705885 | Report this post

James Naismith  
Years ago

dont forget, 2/11 being easy dunks

Reply #705886 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Get those imports off Perth. Their isolation is rubbish, their defence non existant, no control of their feet and thhey are jacking up shit ! 100% better with them both on the bench. Embarrassing for your club

Reply #705887 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The biggest differential in this game is the psyche. Wildcats are playing scared. Missed lay ups, fumbled balls, air balls etc.

Reply #705888 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Wildcats not athletic enough

Reply #705889 | Report this post

JasonC  
Years ago

Love watching non Perth fans trying to gain some hope for the following season based on an exhibition game where the Cat's have been playing their bench for much of it.

So much fun seeing their eyes light up in the hope that FINALLY, just FINALLY the Cat's might not be the threat they always have been.

Happens every year. That hope. The idea that their own team may finally be able to break through the professionalism and history and success that only the Cat's have.
Sigh.. Must be such a wonderful moment for you. That..moment.
That.. single.. moment.

It's even more fun watching them slowly deflate throughout the season as yet again the Cat's show them how it's done.

Enjoy this aberration guys. Enjoy it while it lasts!
:P

Reply #705890 | Report this post

J  
Years ago

Perth having a game to forget. They have missed some easy shots. Kay misses an easy layup, then rubio hits a one legged fade away... pretty much sums it up. A couple of points people are glossing over: this team has 5 new players and jervis who will be new to some. That is a heap of turnover, its going to breakdown at times.
Terrico white is an nbl 3 man, and according to some just, so he is well undersised guarding nba 3 men.
Gobert is elite. Kay has probably been the most disappointing perth recruit across the whole preseason, i was expecting matt knight 2.0 and we have, im not sure yet.
Not the performance they were looking for, not a great look, not a great indicator of their potential success in the nbl

Reply #705891 | Report this post

Mock  
Years ago

Excellent post JasonC! Two years ago everyone on here was chirping about how Perth were dead look how that turned out LOL.

A lot of imports come and go in this league. White is going to be one that goes but Trev and the boys will have a plan B, they ALWAYS do.

Reply #705892 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

IF Perth were in the Western Conference...They would easily win it

Reply #705893 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

IF Perth were in the Western Conference...They would easily win it

Reply #705894 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Another missed layup by Kay... Port

Reply #705895 | Report this post

Timberball  
Years ago

Leave White there, save money on flight home.

Reply #705896 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Clint Steindl looking good hitting his shoots off the dribble.

Apparently Steindl is the only Wildcat that attends shooting practice.

Reply #705897 | Report this post

proud  
Years ago

Steindl has looked better than he did last season, let's hope that he gains some confidence from seeing some shots drop on an NBA court.

Free throw shooting for the Wildcats has been truly dreadful and Terrico looks bad so far...

Reply #705898 | Report this post

J  
Years ago

This is hard to watch, you know perceived pressure is real, even good looks aren't close to dropping

Reply #705899 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Steindl looks NBA quality

Reply #705900 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Let's face it, any teams outside of the NBA will struggle with their athleticism and length.
But what pisses me off, has been the lack of intensity and effort to make it a contest. That mixed in with sh*tting their pants missing easy layups (example Kay x 2) makes it embarrassing for our league.
They are really missing Martin’s hustle

Reply #705901 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Great watching Perth get embarrased this bad!

Reply #705902 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Bit harsh to say we should cut White based on this game. If you only looked at this game you'd say Cotton isn't worth keeping either

Reply #705903 | Report this post

Cbj  
Years ago

It's not great watching them get embarrassed this badly when it’s also nbl getting embarrassed.

Actually ridiculous. Nobody has any drive for the ball. I’ve seen juniors go for loose balls better then this.

Reply #705904 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Let's not forget the wildcats had to fly 30 hours to get there. Might still be a bit jet lagged. Also may have stayed up to watch the Eagles

Reply #705905 | Report this post

JasonC  
Years ago

As much as I want to see the Wildcats beat these teams, and this game is painful for me to watch, I actually appreciate that Gleeson is treating this like a preseason game. Giving the bench a good long run and getting the young players out there for extended periods. Also not risking injury to the starters (ala Goulding) just to prove a point.
Just playing at this level will improve all of them, and the youngsters need this experience.

This is where the other teams always fail. Dump people and tinker with their roster constantly because things don't go the way they want them to right away. Perth instead stick with their decisions (mostly) and develop the players that need the help. That's why they are consistently at the end every year.

Reply #705906 | Report this post

Mock  
Years ago

White struggled at NBL Blitz as well though

Reply #705907 | Report this post

Cbj  
Years ago

So it's worth travelling over 24 hours to give your young ones a run? Bloody hell! I respect your passion for your club.

Reply #705908 | Report this post

Mock  
Years ago

Marto is the heart and SOUL of this team. Different basketball team with him out there.

Reply #705909 | Report this post

J  
Years ago

White had some good games at the blitz, 1st game back from injury as a measuring stick. Prather wasn't a star in game one either

Reply #705910 | Report this post

MACDUB  
Years ago

"Let's not forget the wildcats had to fly 30 hours to get there. Might still be a bit jet lagged. Also may have stayed up to watch the Eagles"

I think there's about 1000 more rational and reasonable excuses than this e.g. that Utah are better shooters, playing better defence and the list goes on

Anyway didnt they travel a few days ago..I saw they were working at a college in Utah. Not an excuse which has any merit

Reply #705911 | Report this post

Mock  
Years ago

This Jazz team is SUPERB btw. Headed for the Western conference finals

Reply #705912 | Report this post

JasonC  
Years ago

CBJ.. For the betterment of the franchise and to maintain the dynasty? Hell yes!

Reply #705913 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

White has looked good besides missing jumpshots

Reply #705914 | Report this post

MACDUB  
Years ago

"Also not risking injury to the starters (ala Goulding) just to prove a point."

Except that if for example MU didnt go and play the 76ers MU still would have been playing just as hard in training sessions back at Melbourne.

I never understand the point around risking injury to players. Players train as hard as they play so injuries are just as likely.

It's not Rugby where you have no contact/light contact training and therefore you are much more likely to be injured in game - hence why rugby teams dont really play pre season games.

In any event the team needs to play in a game scenario with their starters so playing Goulding etc actually had some merit. Youngsters won't start come the season proper.

Reply #705915 | Report this post

joshuapending  
Years ago

Don't hate people. Think what will happen to us in a few days, it will not be pretty. The reality is none of our teams are close to a chance in any of these games.

Reply #705916 | Report this post

Cbj  
Years ago

Joshua pending I think the point is that most other teams would still put 100% in for the whole game.

Reply #705917 | Report this post

Mock  
Years ago

Good point joshua especially against this stacked & outstanding Jazz team

Reply #705918 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I said from day one NBLxNBA isn't benefiting the NBL at all despite what they think. Can’t happen a 3rd year unless they send over a NBL All-Star team. 50 point losses to Utah playing their bench not their starters is embarrassing. Nobody will take the NBL seriously abroad

Reply #705919 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Perth has been lacking in the energy and effort areas. That's disappointing. I'd put that down to travel fatigue

Reply #705920 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

36ers are not looking this bad against Jazz for sure. Different style of game, players and coach are chalk and cheese.

Reply #705921 | Report this post

J  
Years ago

I've seen cats diving for loose balls, this 100% effort thing is as biased as ever. Leave cotton that open in the nbl if you want to, teams and players have bad games, unfortunately for these guys it is on the biggest stage, wce had that a few years ago, anyone bothered about it today?

Reply #705922 | Report this post

JasonC  
Years ago

It would help if Utah knew how to miss a fricken 3 point shot! Would love to see their points from 3 and percentage.

Reply #705923 | Report this post

Cbj  
Years ago

I can guarantee my opinion is not biased 1st and 2nd quarters there was no effort shown. 4th quarter they've picked up. I thought Melbourne did really well yesterday at keeping there drive up. If these opinions were biased wouldn’t I say the same thing about them?

Reply #705924 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Perth needs more athletic players. How many fast break layups have they missed

Reply #705925 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Guys, last year Utah beat Washington by 47 in December. So Perth was only 11 points behind Washington

Reply #705926 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Melbourne have a better coach. Thats the real difference

Reply #705927 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

score update?

Reply #705928 | Report this post

JasonC  
Years ago

Utah - 48 points from the 3 at 42.1%.
No team beating that when they are shooting that well.

Reply #705929 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

Perth tied the lowest score by an NBL team against an NBA team, equalling their 1995 total vs Houston, while giving up more points than any NBL team ever has against an NBA team.

Wasn't expecting it to be particularly competitive, but I definitely wasn't expecting it to be that bad.

Reply #705930 | Report this post

rjd  
Years ago

While it is true that Utah started hot from outside the arc, they actually finished at 42% (16/38). Perth's outside shooting was terrible at under 14% (4/29).

An overall embarrassing performance. The NBL teams will always suffer from a lack of depth, particularly over a 48 minute game, so losing two starters is a big deal. But that's only a partial excuse as Perth looked bad in so many other ways.

Reply #705931 | Report this post

Hoopie  
Years ago

I hope Perth keep playing this insipid slow boring sh!t all season. Maybe that was Gleeson's instructions - we can’t match them on athleticism or effort or quality, so let’s do the opposite so that they feel sorry for us.

The body language of coach and players is that they don’t want to be there, rather than appreciating the experience for the amazing opportunity it is.

Reply #705932 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

There's no doubt they missed Damo massively. Another example of how much he means to that franchise. The thing that most bothered me was the lack of competiveness and energy in that first half. Completely un-Wildcat like. They were never going to win, and Utah is a quality team. But the lack of fight was an embarrassment to not only Perth but the NBL. I just hope they put up a better fight against Denver. You wanted these games Perth, you better bloody well stand up and show some freaking heart, because that effort, Damo or not, was unacceptable.

Reply #705933 | Report this post

Hogwash  
Years ago

Worse margin than I anticipated but still a meaningless preseason game Nonetheless.

Only the MIGHTY Adelaide 36ers could give Utah a run for their money.

Perth still need 3 imports IMO.

Reply #705934 | Report this post

Hoopie  
Years ago

And even against the spud NBA teams, Perth would have lost by 30 on performances like today's.

Reply #705935 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Hard to judge from one game but Exum looked average. He might be pushed further down the bench now with Grayson Allen on the team.

Reply #705936 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

Perth out here embarrassing the NBL. Cried cause they didnt get a game a game last season and they give us this type of effort..
That never happened.

Reply #705937 | Report this post

Hoopie  
Years ago

I hope Larry tears strips off Perth and puts the hard word on the teams still to play that they earn respect for their effort even if they look like losing. He must be cringing right now.

And I know there are a lot of haters out there but I give him credit for at least getting the NBL in front of the US fans, and hopefully opening up opportunities for players to get attention.

Reply #705938 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Years ago

koberulz,

It's funny watching that first quarter, didn't bother with the rest of the game, how scared and timid Perth looked reminded me of that Houston game where the Perth guys treated it like they were playing gods and were reluctant to even make physical contact.

Reply #705939 | Report this post

J  
Years ago

"They don't want to be there", the crap that comes from some people, they got destroyed by an elite nba team, they probably had their worst shooting performance ever, and perth has had some bad ones. Embarrased the nbl, sure if you say so, write them off at your peril.

Reply #705940 | Report this post

TH62  
Years ago

@ Hogwash: i keep reading that Perth needs a 3rd import, guess 3 is a mystical number, but so far not one know it all could say in what position, how about you?
2&3 is covered with imports; not 4, would be stupid to have Kay and play him off the bench.
That leaves point where you have Damo and Norton, it's possible, but not sure the point signing Norton as a 3rd point guard.
That leaves the 5, Brandt is injured, but i'd say that position is his (also see the lack of logic bringing in a player, such as Jervis and not playing him).
That leaves the possibility of having an import off the bench, most likely as a small forward, but that would be an extra 100K in a position for a 10 mins a game cameo (because that's what Hire will get) and which position Steindl can cover easily if needed.
Wildcats don't need another import as a starter, they have the pieces and, right now, having an import spot for insurance makes more sense than paying triple for 10 mins a game

Reply #705941 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Perth are such an unathletic side, was never going to trouble any side with athletic abilities. Kay can beat up on Asian opposition but not these guys. Perth missed Damo but he's not a young man any more.

Reply #705942 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Years ago

Hoopie, Agreed hopefully LK is giving Gleeson and the team a roasting. There's no excuse for performances like that it just shames the NBL on the world stage. Even the two bottom teams from last season the Kings & Bullets only lost by 20 in their games. Losing by 60 is something that would've been tolerated 25 years ago. It's disgraceful.

I just hope like hell the 36ers don't lay a similar sized egg against Utah especially now with that game to be shown live on FTA TV.

Reply #705943 | Report this post

rjd  
Years ago

Meanwhile, the Beijing Ducks only lost by 53 to Dallas, while keeping it close up until half-time.

Breokhoff hit a couple 3s in his pre-season debut.

Reply #705944 | Report this post

Melbourne Boy  
Years ago

Even Cairns would have beaten Perth today

Reply #705946 | Report this post

J  
Years ago

Dallas is not a playoff team, the jazz are and could very well have home court. But let's not let that get in the way of some perth hate

Reply #705948 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"Anyway didnt they travel a few days ago..I saw they were working at a college in Utah. Not an excuse which has any merit"

Do you not know what jetlag is?

Reply #705949 | Report this post

Manu Fieldel  
Years ago

Didn't watch the game, but goddamn it this is a beautiful scoreline

Reply #705950 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Exum has to be one of the most passive players ever. He can hold his own but he just doesn't seem to want the ball.

Reply #705951 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Years ago

Stop making piss weak excuses Perth were playing the Jazz they're a second round playoff team no contender, Melbourne just played a second round playoff team yesterday and only lost by 20 and that was with the 76ers running up the score at the end for most of that game it was a 10-12 point deficit. Losing by 60 is just out and out fear.

Reply #705952 | Report this post

ME (he/kangaroo)  
Years ago

Perth hate is completely justified. They brought the league into disrepute with that performance and have justified the beliefs of NBA fanboys everywhere that the NBL is a bush league.

And you know what? Maybe it is. Maybe the NBL die hards have been high off our own parochialism since the start? Maybe our league actually is shit. After what Utah did to Perth today, you can certainly make a solid case for it.

Perth Wildcats sucked so much you would have thought their starting point guard was Stormy Daniels.

So far, we made a far better fist of the series last year than we have this year.

All I know is if we have more of these types of losses, we should really cut our losses and stop doing this.

Reply #705953 | Report this post

CT  
Years ago

didn't watch the game because I don't like getting up early to watch basketball being played in a half empty arena before midday at the weekend. Guess this is just preseason training for the red army faithful though.

Reply #705955 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Oh Zodiac thinks the eastern conference is as strong as the western conference....that's cute.

Reply #705956 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"They brought the league into disrepute"

What are you even on about? 1 bad loss doesn't mean the end of the world for the NBL or the NBLxNBA. Sure they could've played way better and they definitely can't use some excuses but as usual, the Perth hate bandwagon is strong on this forum.

Reply #705962 | Report this post

MACDUB  
Years ago

"Anyway didnt they travel a few days ago..I saw they were working at a college in Utah. Not an excuse which has any merit"

Do you not know what jetlag is?

OK maybe it has a little merit but I still think if you get to a hotel and then have 3 days before your game you should be able to come out and compete at 100% considering it's only 30-35 odd minutes.

Reply #705963 | Report this post

XY  
Years ago

A sixty point win in any competition is terrible. It is the difference between The Boomers playing Fiji. These guys are supposed to be professionals. Yes, they are better. Yes they should win 99 out of 100 times. But show some heart. Show some endeavour. Show you get paid to play basketball as your profession for God's sake! Or just quit. Like Perth did today.

Gleeson honestly deserved better.

Reply #705964 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I think Perth is a bad matchup for NBA teams because they are unathletic and do not have many offensively gifted players. The only ones they do have are Cotton and White and both guys couldn't hit much tonight. What was their combined shooting percentage?

The wildcats are more of a defensive team but they aren't used to defending NBA teams which have great shooting everywhere and then a guy like Gobert rolling to the hoop.

Add to this the wildcats seemed a bit flat (stage fright? Travel fatigue?) and you get that horribly lopsided score.

I'm not sure the game against Denver will be much better.

Reply #705965 | Report this post

proud  
Years ago

Regardless of jet lag or other excuses, the Jazz bench looked ultra impressive and the traits that Wildcats stand by like hustle, defence and rebounding were non existent and I hope that LK does rip strips off the Wildcats because that was as bad as it gets.

Fingers crossed that their performance against Nuggets is much more competitive as I don't think anyone deserves to see such an insipid effort again!

The only positive I took from this game was that Mitch Norton will attack the rim far more than Jarrod Kenny had in previous seasons and that excites me.

Reply #705966 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Let's not get too carried away.

With Damo and Brandt missing, the cats were playing 4 new starters. They had two guys as replacements who had been with the team for around 24 hours or less.

Not the right conditions to expect a well oiled performance. Perth will get better.

Reply #705967 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Just to be clear, jet lag isn't being tired from catching a flight or two. It is being out of your normal timezone and trying to adjust. Its very difficult, especially a few days into your travel. It shouldn’t be an excuse for giving a poor performance but it effects everyone differently (I struggle with it) and I’m pretty sure none of us here have every flown around the world so they could play a basketball match in a few days time.

Reply #705968 | Report this post

ME (he/kangaroo)  
Years ago

Oh I have no doubt that they will get better, and no doubt that they are a 20-30 point better team than they showed, but still what they served up today was not good enough and it brings the whole NBA/NBL thing into question unless teams start competing moving ahead.

Reply #705971 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The price you pay for loyalty to the players that should have moved aside for developing players. No attrition and succession planning.

Reply #705972 | Report this post

Manu Fieldel  
Years ago

Not making playoffs this season. The run will be over.

Bugger em

Reply #705974 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"The only positive I took from this game was that Mitch Norton will attack the rim far more than Jarrod Kenny had in previous seasons and that excites me."

I agree. I also liked the contributions and confidence of Steindl and Rhys Vague.

If anything, it was the old fellas that disappointed me, like Jervis and Wagstaff.

The two fill in players were quite ordinary too and looked like they just wanted to get their name in lights. Some ill advised shots by them.

Reply #705975 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"what they served up today was not good enough and it brings the whole NBA/NBL thing into question unless teams start competing moving ahead."

Let's not throw the baby out with the bath water. I think in most games the nbl teams have finished within 25 points, which is respectable.

The Melbourne 1 point loss and Perth's 58 point loss are the outliers right now. We'll know more after all 7 games are played.

Also, kudos to the NBL for trying to take on not just NBA teams, but some quality playoff teams like Utah and Philly.

Reply #705976 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"Not making playoffs this season. The run will be over.

Bugger em"

Got to love the Perth hate circle jerk on this forum

Reply #705977 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Steindl and Vague struggle defending a bar stool.

If Adelaide have no injuries and get up and down the floor at pace will do much better in there nba game and should win nbl.

Reply #705978 | Report this post

J  
Years ago

Game into disrepute, really? getting beaten by an elite team, down 2 starters combined with a horrid shooting night, yep disrepute alright. Philly plays in the east, the jazz the west, let's not pretend they are equal. How people can actually write that the owner of a league should penalise players for a poor performance on the biggest stage some may ever see just shows how comical and ignorant some of the posters here are. Ana thats coming from someone who writes their fair share of one eyed stuff.

Reply #705979 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

LK should ban Perth from future NBAxNBL. They showed complete disregard for the effort he has put in to make this happen.

Reply #705990 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Gleeson got totally exposed as well. Big fish in a small pond, truly highlighted his coaching today. Dud.

Reply #705991 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

How specifically did his coaching contribute to the loss?

Reply #705996 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

By trying to play sludgeball vs. NBA competition and non-NBL refs. Completely delusional.

Reply #705999 | Report this post

Hogwash  
Years ago

Just some troll going on about Gleeson.

Reply #706001 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Can Perth be punished in some way for embarrassing Australian sport so badly?

A big fine?
Docked some points for the upcoming season?
Some public floggings?
At very least, banned from further games v NBA..

Reply #706002 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

No more NBA for Perth, how ungrateful and arrogant, you're an NBL team but treating it like you are the NBA side. Amazing arrogance.

Reply #706004 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Gleeson's job is to win NBL titles, not beat NBA teams. He has three NBL titles... I don't think his coaching was exposed today at all.

Reply #706005 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

He can't coach offense.

Reply #706006 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"you're an NBL team but treating it like you are the NBA side."

Oh dear...

Reply #706007 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

and their over the line D doesn't work vs. bigger and stronger teams. Highlights perfectly how ugly they play the game which has been a blight on the NBL up until recently.

Reply #706008 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Oh dear? They dodn't bother playing their best team and made NBL look bad and wasted LK's work in organising this. Sheer arrogance.

Reply #706009 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

This guy is taking trolling to a new level.

Reply #706011 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Wildcats are the ones trolling us fans, NBL and LK.

Reply #706012 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"Oh dear" at your nonsensical criticisms.

Reply #706014 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Why? I am a Wildcats fan but that was disgusting. At least make it respectable. I was proud when we played Rockets, even thoug also a blowout but players were basically hungover after winning their rings but histled to the max, flying everywhere in desperation, but this today erodes the goodwill of LK, NBL and Aus ball.

Reply #706015 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

though*

hustled*

Reply #706016 | Report this post

ME (he/kangaroo)  
Years ago

Okay, people getting a bit dizzy here. Not sure how he could have coached them to be taller, more talented, quicker and more athletic. I can see how certain things contributed to the way they played, such as jet lag, altitude, change of rules, court dimensions, massive jump in talent, but that shouldn't cause them to miss freethrows and open jumpers that would have easily taken 25 points off of the closing deficit, and it shouldn't have meant that they basically didn't hustle whatsoever. When I say they brought the NBL is disrepute, I mean it. The reputation of the standard of the NBL is in question after that loss both in America and Australia.

Reply #706019 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

I can see how certain things contributed to the way they played, such as...altitude
Getting the excuses ready for next weekend?

that shouldn't cause them to miss freethrows and open jumpers
Reportedly the NBA ball is a different weight to the NBL ball, which could certainly throw off shooting, particularly early.

That said, Cotton has far fewer excuses than the rest of the team given his familiarity not just with the NBA game but with that venue specifically.

Reply #706021 | Report this post

AD  
Years ago

Lost their captain, plus their starting centre. Unfortunate.

I don't know any of the Utah players, how close were they to full strength? Or were they playing the G-League players?

Lets be honest, if an NBA team takes a game seriously, they are going to wipe the floor with an NBL team. Period. Anybody, LK included, who thinks otherwise is deluded.

We'd be better off scheduling games against the G-League.

Reply #706024 | Report this post

Dave  
Years ago

Great to see Flogstaff and Jervis both get pinned for their typical moving/illegal screens loved seeing those two get thrown around by Utah's bigs

Reply #706025 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

Pointing to Martin's absence is understandable, but at the end of the day he's in his mid-thirties now. What's the plan in a year or two?

Reply #706028 | Report this post

Mock  
Years ago

Ultimately a nothing game. Gleeson was laughing. Will be long forgotten when the good guys win it all AGAIN

Reply #706038 | Report this post

FM  
Years ago

Beijing Ducks put up a better showing.

I just don't like Adelaide's chances given that was the teams first game. Now another week of training is going to see them step up another level.

Jazz look good, spent the 2nd half of the season securing their finals place, looks like they might get off to a better start. They have improved over the off season and Derrick Favours looks mobile.

Reply #706057 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Beijing Ducks got beaten by 50 odd against a team that won't even make the playoffs. Not a great showing by Perth but they’re were playing one of the best defensive teams in the NBA. Not sure the game in Utah will in anyway show how they are gonna perform
In the NBL this season. Typical East Coast hate being displayed in this thread.

Reply #706063 | Report this post

CT  
Years ago

"Will be long forgotten when the good guys win it all AGAIN"

Good guys? Perth are the Collingwood of the Nbl, get over yourself.

Reply #706064 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Wildcats fans you must realise your team this season is shit. I can guarantee that the 36ers will compete and fight a hell of a lot better than your pathetic effort today. The streak will end!

Reply #706065 | Report this post

Andrew  
Years ago

Apparently LK has requested to the Jazz management to take it easy on the 36ers.

Reply #706074 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Andrew stop trolling, utterly stupid comment.

And wow at Perth = good guys? Bwahahahaha!

Reply #706090 | Report this post

Dave Q  
Years ago

It was OK. Perth couldn't buy a bucket in the 1st half and that was that. Dante looked ordinary. Allen looked great, as did Mitchell. Shame ingles got hurt, but it looked to me like Perth got caught in the headlights where Melbourne U did not.

Reply #706093 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Perth as an organisation think they are all that and finally got a big dose of reality.

Reply #706094 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Funny contrast I noticed today - the Perth coaching staff wearing cheap suits and no ties and basically a mish mash of colours looked awful in contrast to what you saw fromthe Jazz coaches. They looked like rednecks who can't dress... which is still an upgrade from seeing Gleeson's gut in those polos he loves to wear.

Reply #706095 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

You know the club makes him wear a the polos, right?

Reply #706099 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

League wide coaches are wearing more formal clothing now time for Wildcats to follow suit.

Reply #706100 | Report this post

UseTaHoop  
Years ago

Follow suit?

Pun intended???

Reply #706129 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

I think the biggest key when playing v NBA teams is the mental side of the game. Perth yesterday, and Brisbane and Sydney last year, were blown out early, and each lacked guys who'd played much on truly big stages.

Melbourne in comparison, particularly last year, had Boone, Andersen, Wesley, Barlow, Prather and Ware who would have stepped on court and felt very comfortable out there. That theory will be tested out pretty quick with Sydney, who should have a similar level of comfort.

The other team that could acquit themselves ok would be NZ, with Long, Wesley, Abercrombie and Webster on-board. The test for them will be their PGs, although Ili has stood up pretty well against some good international ballers so may well take it in his stride.

Reply #706147 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Yes pun intended. :D

Reply #706153 | Report this post

Hoot  
Years ago

Sydney looked very comfortable today.

Reply #706211 | Report this post

Udog  
Years ago

Does the club also make Gleeson wear his polo shirts 3 sizes to small. Those Moobs!!!!

Reply #706212 | Report this post

Air Goorjian  
Years ago

Damo playing against Denver?

Reply #706221 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Udog exactly! #moobs

Reply #706225 | Report this post

Craig  
Years ago

Being a fan of both NBA and NBL I never expected Perth to come close to beating Utah.

Yeah it was horrible to see them get blown out by a huge margin, but as someone posted earlier, Perth are not a good match up for NBA style basketball.

Wildcats I believe run a lot of Zone D too, something they couldn't do as its illegal D in the NBA.

Not making any excuses for the Cats, it made the NBL and the Cats look like a joke, but in reality they match up a lot better against a slower less athletic NBL League (which is why they are so successful).

Missing Damo doesnt change the score a great deal, Brandt was missed more as Gobert feasted on us inside.

Melbourne lost by 20 to the Sixers, but an NBA fan would know that the East is a slower conference of the 2 and Perth would have been much more competitive against them.

Utah are also the best defensive team in the NBA, something to keep in mind when looking at the missed buckets by Perth.

Unfortunately - Denver will touch them up too, whilst not as good defensively as the Jazz they are a faster paced team and put up higher scores. Gary Harris may be out which is helpful but the Cats just dont play the style of game that matches against the Western Conference teams.

Reply #706249 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

"Missing Damo doesnt change the score a great deal"

Martin is their most important player IMO, he sets the standard of how they play. Will be interesting to see how they bounce back, hopefully he can play which should lead to better looks for Cotton and White.

Reply #706253 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

This game highlighted perfectly what I've been saying for years about Perth's awful playing atyle which is sludgeball. Lucky for them it works in the NBL.

Reply #706258 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

style*

Reply #706259 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Lucky for them they play in the NBL too.

Reply #706266 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Lucky the NBL is transitioning away from sludgeball, except for the refs at Perth Arena who are lagging behind.

Reply #706290 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I think it will be a good reality check for those that say the Perth Arena atmosphere is like the NBA. Cats looked like they were shaken up by the bright lights of the NBA. Here's hoping they have settle down by the time they get to play their second game.

Reply #706297 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Who is the guy no 51 playing for Perth
Noticed Gleesons surname wrong when they listed coaches names
It was pronounced Gleason

Reply #706386 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 10:41 pm, Thu 28 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754