Ingles13
Years ago

Women's world cup final: Australian Opals v Team USA

Never been this interested to watch women's basketball but here we are ! Wonder how the "Spanish" crowd will react to Liz today and how she will contain and use her emotions

Topic #43948 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

Why have you never been interested?

Reply #706096 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

You're asking him as if it's a crime he wasn't into it.

I'm in the same boat with Cambage returning to WNBA and proving me she is the best we have a new era after LJ which I took for granted. Please for one game don't be petulant Liz.

Reply #706097 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

No malice, just asking why he doesn't watch women's basketball.

Reply #706098 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Probably because it's boring and not as good as men's ball? Just saying.

Reply #706101 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The Opals are going to get slaughtered unfortunately.

Reply #706102 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Why are they playing at a snails pace?

Reply #706103 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

starting 2nd quarter with bench 5, yikes

Reply #706104 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

hardly any atmosphere in the building because everyone is waiting for Liz to touch the ball so they can boo her.

normally the crowd is against the USA.

Reply #706105 | Report this post

AussiePride  
Years ago

Girls moving the ball well and getting good looks but it will not go through the hoop. Time to revert to plan A and just give it to Cambage every time down the floor.

Reply #706106 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Ohea try's to get it into a contested Cambage with Whitcomb wide open.
Some rookie errors happening. Not sure why sandys trying to match the usas tempo.
We are the fitter team.

Reply #706107 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Looks more like a pickup game than a final.

Reply #706108 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Liz not interested, too busy chatting with friends,

Reply #706109 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Sooner we got Seebohm in, the better off we will be.

Clearly in 1 min, Lavey has showed more passion to play than Madgen.

Reply #706110 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

-25 with Liz on the court to 3/4 time.

This game was over in the warmups when Liz was stirring up the crowd.

She has completely lost focus on offence.

Starters are shooting 5/31

Reply #706111 | Report this post

ANON  
Years ago

Cambage not so cocky now is she, and Australia undone because they have relied on one player too much, who when finally faced with decent opponents falls to bits. And the crowds animosity wouldn't be helping either for some of the other players

Smith is certainly a shinning light for the future ,Magbegor too

Reply #706112 | Report this post

Years ago

Just like the match against spain, most
refereeing decisions go
against Australia.
Very biased refereeing.

Reply #706113 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

We didn't deserve gold and even though getting silver is a great effort, some changes need to be made.

Reply #706114 | Report this post

Years ago

Ezi should be getting more playing time

Reply #706115 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Little faith in the young girls unfortunately.

How Madgen is in this side and gets as much playing time as she does is mind boggling.

Reply #706116 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Jeez the people on this board. You say we're gonna lose in qtrs. We're not gonna make semis. We got the bloody silver how bout that for a bounce back from rio. Bring on the Asia cup. Bring on Tokyo!

Reply #706117 | Report this post

Years ago

terrible refereeing.

Reply #706118 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

only the 2nd time ever made the world championship final, so a great achievement. first ever silver.

Reply #706119 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Well said anonymous, the negativity is so frustrating. Liz not so cocky now, finally get a good opponent, wtf?? We just lost by 20 to the best team in the world with some of the best players of all time. Get a clue and show some respect for the Opals. They are one of our best performing national teams of all time and they deserve better than the bs you're dishing out.

Reply #706120 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Some people are always positive about things and some are always negative.
Both of those types of people are insane.

Reply #706121 | Report this post

ANON  
Years ago

Unfortunately Liz brings her own negativity, Opals did well to get a medal especially a silver one ,those blaming the refereeing need to be not so blind , the refereeing all tournament was probably the best around , they took no crap from players and seemed consistent in all games, can't ask for more. Belgium possibly a better team than Opals considering their game against USA,but USA have too many good strong players , well drilled and a cohesive unit for any team Staley has them on point
A well deserved win for USA and a pleasant surprise for Opals, as few gave them a chance at a medal .

Reply #706123 | Report this post

Big Ads  
Years ago

Opals had a great tournament and fell short against the deepest and most talented team in the competition. I am proud of their efforts.

Reply #706124 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Asia cup next. Can't wait too see which new players sandy brings in.

Reply #706125 | Report this post

Lorenzo  
Years ago

USA got up and in and did not allow the 3 or the pass inside.
The difference was we were not used to that level of defence.
They had a great game plan and unlike the Euro teams we don't use pick and roll well or the drive and dish.
We should have run more though.
Great game plan US.
Great experience though for next time

Reply #706131 | Report this post

Cram  
Years ago

Tough night putting the ball in the hoop, but they did well to hang around as long as they did. Liz might have struggled offensively, but she was great at the other end, and I felt that her attitude throughout the game was fine given how frustrating it must have been.

Great effort to get the silver. Hopefully they can find other avenues to the basket over the next two years and have a red hot crack in Tokyo.

Reply #706133 | Report this post

ferdterguson  
Years ago

Congrats Opals:-)

Reply #706138 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Years ago

Congrats to the Opals from me too. Silver is a tremendous achievement considering our recent string of international results and the way the competition is so fierce in this level below the USA.

Pity it had to end *that* badly though. Realistically a lot had to go right for the Opals to win tonight, but even things that normally do go right for us decided not to in that game.
No doubt the team feels disappointment, but hopefully they also feel a heap of motivation and belief for 2020. There are plenty of positives.

Reply #706140 | Report this post

ME (he/kangaroo)  
Years ago

I don't usually watch women's basketball but I watched Opals v China and most of today's game and I thought the intensity and standard was actually pretty good. The top end of women's international basketball is always pretty good, when you're getting the 12 best players from each nation. But I find WNBA and WNBL, where the talent is a bit more diluted, to be insufferable and full of airballs. But either way, I'll always give the Opals a watch. They've really thrown the gauntlet down to the men.

Ezi is a superstar in the making by the way. Big fan of how she goes about the game. And yeah, Cambage is too easy to sway with emotions and she will probably always fall short of true greatness with that.

Reply #706144 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

I don't think there is the need for the negativity, you can acknowledge what a good effort it was to get silver while pointing out areas for improvement. The Olympics will probably be a significantly tougher tournament than this, but the Opals have clear room for improvement.

For all the negativity about the Opals their record in major tournaments is outstanding:

2018 5-1
2016 5-1
2014 5-1
2012 6-2
2010 7-2
2008 7-1
2006 9-0
2004 7-1
2002 7-2
2000 7-1

That's 65-12 this century, and if you take out the 0-8 record against the USA, who let's face it are a level above, the Opals are 65-4 against the rest of the world. That's unbelievable!

Reply #706145 | Report this post

Cram  
Years ago

Thanks for those numbers Paul. That is pretty incredible.

The Opals have been a true standout for the last 20 years in terms of national team performance. Its a shame they don't get the attention they deserve. If the Matildas got to a world cup final the hype would be big. Is it just that people take the Opals for granted?

It'll be interesting to see if the Opals can stay a world class team in the next 10 years. With more opportunities available for Aussie women to play the more traditional Aussie sport (AFL, NRL, sevens) at a high level professionally/semi pro, hopefully basketball can retain these athletes.

Reply #706148 | Report this post

Bear  
Years ago

Congratulations to all involved in the Opals, well done girls, you should be proud of yourselves!

Future remains bright...

Reply #706162 | Report this post

LC  
Years ago

A fantastic achoevement to make the final and to win silver after missing out on a medal at Rio is a huge effort.

There was no Penny Taylor this time, no Lauren Jackson.

The future is looking bright for the Opals.

Love or loathe her, Liz Cambage is is a superstar. She is also still young and Tokyo is realistic.

Alanna Smith and Ezi Magbegor are rising stars and should both be picked up in the 1st round of the WNBA Draft in 2019.

Ebzery was good, especially against Spain, but in reality we were weakest at the point guard position.

I really think a fit Kristy Wallace is a key piece moving forward. Really hoping she can get back on deck fully recovered from her ACL.

Reply #706185 | Report this post

Camel 31  
Years ago

if a player gets 27 ppg at the tourny gets 7 ....ya gonna lose by 20....
arithmetically speaking

Reply #706192 | Report this post

Camel 31  
Years ago

..and griifin worth 12points ... 17points when cambage is quiet...

Reply #706196 | Report this post

Hoopie  
Years ago

Well done, girls, and I love that success rate for this century

Reply #706199 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Griffin v 5'8 Asians is very different to Griffin vs 6'4-6'5 pfs

Reply #706213 | Report this post

Camel 31  
Years ago

wouldnt she get more than smith...

Reply #706222 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Smith in 2 years vs Griffin in 2 years.
I would take smith, likely drafted next year and you get to keep the naturalised spot in which we have the choice of 2 guards in our weakest position.

With Griffins history of injuries, will she even be available in 2 years.

Reply #706223 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Gold in 2020 if they work on the brat's attitude which won't happen.

Reply #706224 | Report this post

LC  
Years ago

I'm sharing those stats Paul!

Reply #706246 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

A good record, sure. But don't you have to win when it counts?

Reply #706248 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

Which Olympic and World Cup games are you suggesting don't count?

Reply #706251 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The ones where we fail at the last hurdle to get a medal.
Lost to Czech, lost to serbia.... happened 4 times.

Reply #706267 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

So...they're winning the ones that do count and losing the ones that don't, then. What's the problem?

Reply #706270 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

2020-?
2018-Silver (WC)
2017-Silver (A)
2016-5th (O)
2014-Bronze (WC)
2012-Bronze (O)
2010-5th (WC)
2008-Silver (O)
2006-Gold (WC)
2004-Silver (O)
2002-Bronze (WC)
2000-Silver (O)

Reply #706271 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Sorry 2019 Asia Cup... hopefully gold. Japan will be tough. China potentially too.

Reply #706274 | Report this post

LV  
Years ago

Incredible stats Paul. Thanks.

Reply #706313 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Years ago

Personally I wouldn't put Asia Cup in the same class as the other results.
It's ultimately meaningful, but doesn't say that much about the Opals because it is usually going to be an Opals-lite team that competes in it.

Reply #706371 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The team we had at the WC was lite too.

Reply #706372 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Years ago

Not really what I meant. Yes we had some unavailable players, as did plenty of other teams, but it's not like the Asia Cup where our entire WNBA group was unavailable on top of whatever injuries and not-interesteds there were at the time.

Reply #706407 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Tournaments worth.

Olympics(Senior) > WC(Senior) > U19 WC(Junior) > U17 WC(Junior) > Asia(Senior) > Asia U18(Junior) > Asia U16(Junior) > Oceania U15(Junior) > Oceania U17(Junior) > Oceania(Senior)

Reply #706411 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Talbot's game is going backwards at a rate of knots, her offensive game is virtually non existent with the Opals. Yes she hustles & defends best wing player of opposition but is almost a liability at the offensive end. Coach Brondello needs to institute a more equal opportunity offense rather than throw it to Liz every single time down the court. George should never play for the Opals again, doesn’t do the 'dirty work’ required at the 4 spot i.e. Defend, Rebound & Effective Offensive Post Play. Her work rate is poor & takes the easy option of shooting 3’s far too many times. Whitcomb at times resorted to her me, myself & I options at the offensive end & at times shot the ball nearly every time she touched it!

Reply #706575 | Report this post

Seddon  
Years ago

The uncomplimentary comments about Steph Talbot are questionable. Talbot was a consistent performer over the tournament with her rebounding and assists, particularly the significant number of assists to Cambage.
It was apparent that the opposing teams' rate of scoring increased when Talbot was not on the court.

Reply #706691 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Most of the team needs to contribute more on the offensive end.
That's why Madgen and Lavey should not be there. 4.8 pts avg between them.

Top scorers (avg) were cambage with 24 pts, Allen with 9 pts, Whitcomb with 8 points and magbegor with 8 points.
Simply not good enough beyond Cambage.

Wallace will for sure come in as a cg.
I think a young wnbl guard like Conti or college prospect like mangakahia should come into the next opals tournament to trial before Olympics. Can hold there own on defense whilst giving you more on offense.
Hopefully Lavey and Clydesdale and Donnelly can show more this wnbl season too.

Reply #706697 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Years ago

"The uncomplimentary comments about Steph Talbot are questionable."

The entire post is questionable IMO.
The Opals did a great job considering who was available and how much time they had together. There's plenty to build on.
But yeah the Talbot comment in particular is odd considering how much she has improved in the past 12 months.

It's no huge revelation that the Opals aren't blessed with international-calibre scorers, and it really doesn't help the situation when our 2 best ball distributors go down on the eve of the tournament.

Reply #706731 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Mitchell and Mansfield aren't good ball distributors at all.

Reply #706733 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Years ago

IMO they were the correct picks for the Opals. Who would you have gone with, nameless critic?

Reply #706735 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Not good ball distributors I said.
Obviously would have taken Mitchell, but I'd still take Whitcomb over her in the naturalised spot.

Madgen and Lavey were the issue.
Ebzery did fine at the 1 under the circumstances.

Reply #706746 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Wilson and hurst, 2 experienced pgs over them any day, particularly with the form they were in.

Reply #706748 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I'm not convinced Talbot’s game has improved dramatically over the last 12 months. At the U-19 World Championships a few years ago there wasn’t much difference between Steph Talbot & Breanna Stewart’s game & overall statistics (both were Allstar 5). My issue with Talbot is her offensive game has really stagnated & almost makes her a liability. Yes, she led the Opals in assist because she looked to pass as her 1st, 2nd & 3rd option. For the Opals to really challenge USA in the future Talbot must assert herself more offensively instead of disappearing at that end.

Reply #706775 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Years ago

My recollection of Talbot in the past was being a slasher, and a poor shooter. From what I've seen of her more recently, ie WNBA, she's working on her shot.
With the Opals it's a mindset thing IMO. Allen, Whitcomb & Smith were the only ones (other than Liz obviously) who weren't excessively tentative when it came to calling their own number. Ebzery started to get the hang of it, and it's always toughest to balance it when you're the PG so I give her more than a pass mark overall. For a converted 2-guard she has come a long way in a short time. I would have liked to see more Ebzery-Whitcomb together the backcourt but I get why Sandy did what she did with Sami off the bench, because our bench scoring would have been zero. Much less of an issue if Wallace gets healthy and into the side.

Reply #706832 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 8:09 pm, Thu 18 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754