Zodiac
Years ago

Sydney Kings vs LA Clippers

Just over an hour until game time and probably the NBL's best chance for an upset today.

Topic #43949 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

Er, no. No way this is best chance. Gaze is the coach.

Reply #706155 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Wear starting again. God help us.

Reply #706157 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Bogut getting David Lee PTSD with Wear's defensive rotations

Reply #706158 | Report this post

NBL Fan  
Years ago

This dribble hand-off offence the Kings use is just plain ugly. It's forced and uses half the shot clock before they can even get a shot.

Reply #706159 | Report this post

joshuapending  
Years ago

Think they actually look not too bad so far. Most composed start at least.

Reply #706160 | Report this post

Beantown  
Years ago

Bogut still great defensively. Needs his team-mates to make some shots and stop turning the ball over!

Reply #706161 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

This kings team is bringing the league into disrepute

Reply #706163 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Bogut is in his element. Kings right in this.

Reply #706164 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Bogut is fantastic, will be so good for kings if stays healthy

Reply #706165 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Kings looking far more confident than those scared wildcats

Reply #706166 | Report this post

Andrew  
Years ago

Kings looking good. However, Jazz would probably beat the Clippers by 50 at this stage.

Reply #706168 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Kickert playing like garbage.

Reply #706169 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Kings start out strong and then the bench mob can't get a thing going. It’s a pre-season game, but surely Gaze can see he needs at least 1, maybe 2, of Bogut, Lisch, Randle and Newley on the court at all times.

Reply #706170 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Kickert making Ware looking like LeBron. No bashing little philos here. Kings bench don't play D. Kings starters very good, need to stay healthy.

Reply #706172 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Is Kickert playing for the clippers? he seems to be assisting the clippers on more points than the kings

Reply #706173 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Much better game to watch than the Wildcats v Jazz game. The Wildcats should be fined by the NBL for that piss poor performance

Reply #706174 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Can we send the Kings over to Denver to replace Perth on Friday/Saturday?

Reply #706175 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"This kings team is bringing the league into disrepute"

No, Perth has that covered already.

Reply #706176 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Good game, Randle be very good both ends. Bogut looks like hurt his shoulder. Ware playing very well

Reply #706177 | Report this post

Kingsfan  
Years ago

Best game I've seen newley play recently. Kings looking great.

Reply #706179 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

""This kings team is bringing the league into disrepute"

No, Perth has that covered already.""

I second that.

Reply #706181 | Report this post

joshuapending  
Years ago

Thought bout was a little knee knock on a drive.

Reply #706183 | Report this post

Kingsfan  
Years ago

Kyle adnam and Tom Wilson looking good also

Reply #706184 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Do you think there are people watching this thinking WTF happened to the Sacramento Kings in the off-season?

Reply #706186 | Report this post

Chewie  
Years ago

Anons bashing kickert for some early turn overs. Kickers hits 3x3s in the second quarter. Anons move to bashing someone else in the third......

Reply #706187 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Kickert plays one end only, three from three from deep, will look to see if that continues., Wilson -6 in five minutes, adnam-13 in nine minutes.
Kings starters all in the plus, bench all in the minus.

Reply #706190 | Report this post

MACDUB  
Years ago

A 37 point 2nd quarter by the Kings. That's some effort against an NBA team., albeit even though it is a pre-season game.

Reply #706191 | Report this post

Big Ads  
Years ago

If Bogut fouls out.....

Reply #706193 | Report this post

Big Ads  
Years ago

Are the NBL referees really all that different to NBA referees on how they call Bogut?

Reply #706194 | Report this post

NBL Fan  
Years ago

Kickert is a horrific defender

Reply #706195 | Report this post

J  
Years ago

Still hating on Perth. Lets take lish and bogut out of Sydney's lineup. Then lets replace the clippers with a top 3 western conference team, see what happens. But of course teams can be penalised for poor performances, adelaide got punished for not rocking up in game 3 in Perth a few years back? Oh wait im guessing excuses are allowed for certian teams....

Reply #706197 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

So far kings not an embarrassment like wildcats.

Reply #706200 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Clippers putting in effort too. They don't want it to be close.

Reply #706201 | Report this post

AussiePride  
Years ago

Is Harrell Jae Crowder's twin brother?

Reply #706202 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Bowen having some tough luck out there with these passes

Reply #706203 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Blowing out late. But nothing to be ashamed of. Kings represented well today. Although they need a better import than Wear.

Reply #706204 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Final score line doesn't do justice to the effort the Kings put in. They stayed competitive the whole game until final minutes. Clippers had to actually play D and play their starters long minutes.

A stellar effort by the Kings.

Reply #706205 | Report this post

GordonG  
Years ago

I enjoyed watching that. I turned the Melbourne game off...

Reply #706206 | Report this post

Ben  
Years ago

I enjoyed watching that game.

He didn't have an awesome game, but Newley looks markedly fitter than last season too.

Kickert will be a good foil if they intend bringing him off the bench to feast on second units.

Reply #706207 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

A good job by kings, there starter very good, don't understand the hate for Wear, thought he was very solid, you can’t have to many stars. The kings trouble will be there bench, they can score but defensively can’t stop an under twelves team.

Reply #706208 | Report this post

Luke  
Years ago

Great effort by the Kings, thought they had a great chance of stealing the game when they bought it to within 4 half way though the forth quarter, turnovers killed them though and the Clippers just had that extra sprinkle on top as you would expect from an NBA team

Reply #706209 | Report this post

ME (he/kangaroo)  
Years ago

Sydney Kings did a great job today, and all of the Wildcat's fans "couldda shouldda wouldda" about it doesn't mean shit. Oh it would be a different game if Lisch and Randle weren't there? Are you trying to compare that to you losing Martin and Brandt, despite the fact that neither of them were going to score and the fact you still had your best scorer on the floor, but he flat out fucking stunk? That's hilarious. Perth deserves mockery at least until they somehow redeem themselves against Denver.

Sydney Kings did lose by 19, but the Clippers had to actually try to beat them. If the Clippers messed around like the 76ers did against Melbourne, they would have lost. And the scoreline of 19 isn't a real show for just how close the game was. It wasn't until they brought a myriad of Dengs out there to collectively fumble their way around the court that the scoreline got anywhere near that.

So yes, fantastic game for Sydney. It actually justifies the existence of this series and helps mend some of the damage the Perth game caused to the perception of our league. So far this is the second best game an NBL team has produced against an NBA one in the two years the series has run. Sydney did not look out of their depth, shellshocked, or suspect, and unlike most games, they weren't completely dominated in areas of the game. And the fact is, Sydney could have actually played better than that as well.

Perth fans need to let their but hurt simmer for a while longer. how much they stunk must feel really be filling their noses after today.

Reply #706214 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

This ME character writes such long winded tripe.
Now I know to skip his/her posts, silly troll.

Reply #706216 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

ME stinks up this forum worse than what the Wildcats did on court against Utah.

Reply #706217 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

ME sure does.
Perth's game yesterday has no relevance to today's game.

Bit silly to compare how teams lose. Let's be honest no NBL team will beat an NBA team.

Reply #706218 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

ME is bringing this forum into disrepute.

Reply #706219 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Dazz/AD is better than ME.

Reply #706220 | Report this post

rjd  
Years ago

"This ME character writes such long winded tripe.
Now I know to skip his/her posts, silly troll."

At least ME puts a name to his/her writing. How about you put your name to your posts instead of being a completely cowardly troll yourself. Same goes if there happen to the other anons above, if there is actually more than one. IMO nothing worse than anons who post to only talk shit about regular posters. Find a name, stick to it, and stand by your words instead of being an unaccountable asshole.

Reply #706230 | Report this post

ME (he/kangaroo)  
Years ago

All the same anonymous Perth fan agreeing with himself. 58 points, dickhead. 58 points.

Reply #706231 | Report this post

rjd  
Years ago

On the Wildcats versus Sydney comparison in their respective games, Kings seem to have a much more NBA-friendly lineup. Firstly they have more vets that have experience at a higher level, like Bogut. They also have players like Randle and Newley who can take advantage of the greater spacing and also can create shots for themselves. Also helps that the Kings stretch 4s, Kickert and Wear, actually hit some long distance shots. Lisch wasn't so bad in this game, but his shot still seems way off. The Kings starters had a positive +/- for most of the game. NBL teams will always struggle with depth in these 48 minute game. The Kings were obviously deeper than Perth. The Sydney bench were the letdown as they looked out of their depth in this game. All up, though, a good showing by Sydney.

In the three NBLxNBA games so far, IMO Randle has been the first import to not look bad.

Reply #706232 | Report this post

rjd  
Years ago

Indeed, that anon seems like a disgruntled Wildcats fan agreeing with himself. For what it is worth, ME, I think it is difficult to argue against anything you said in your last post.

Reply #706233 | Report this post

Hoopie  
Years ago

"No NBL team will beat an NBA team." And your point is, Anon?

What's wrong with playing these games for the experience and the exposure? If we lose to a better team then how is that a problem? It happens.

Or do you only want to back winners?

Reply #706237 | Report this post

Cram  
Years ago

Good effort by Sydney. Walking in with a guy who would still be in the league if he really wanted to has to help with the mind set, then a guy like Randle who can make shots against anyone on any given night, you're going to be ok.

20 odd points seems to be a good measure of the gulf between the two leagues. If you take out the results at the extreme (United Vs OKC and Perth Vs Utah) all the results so far have been at about that mark.

Reply #706238 | Report this post

Duke Fan  
Years ago

Apparently if Randle was 6'1 he'd be in the NBA. The commentators may have said that once or 17 times

Reply #706240 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Years ago

Been a lot worse players than Randle that have played in the NBA that's for sure but NBA teams have some funny hang ups they rarely budge on and one of those is guys under six foot.

I could imagine a large part of the reason Randle has the drive and attitude he has is seeing inferior players getting a look in above him but he hasn't helped himself with his matador defence.

Still if I were him I would be crook in the guts seeing guys like David Wear get NBA gigs ahead of him. But that's the NBA for you when it comes down to the fringe guys it's always been more who you know than what you know.

Reply #706241 | Report this post

robt  
Years ago

If the Kings play that well in our NBL, I think they may actually get the results.

Reply #706242 | Report this post

ME (he/kangaroo)  
Years ago

"Let's be honest no NBL team will beat an NBA team."

1) winning was never to goal of this series, but exposure, showing we're good enough to compete and make an NBA team work - something Sydney did and your beloved team didn't.

2) Only reason you're mulling over the merits of comparing losing is because your team was never in the contest at any stage of the game. Not once. Not for a mere second. There was not even a nanosecond when Utah was in any way concerned about the Perth Wildcats. '

Take the embarrassment of that loss on the chin, accept we're going to mock them for it, and hope your team does something reflecting a professional basketball team later this week.

Reply #706243 | Report this post

Duke Fan  
Years ago

Denver beat the Lebron Lakers today so they are going to be formidable, along with the "mile high"factor. Perth might get beat by more!

Reply #706244 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Years ago

I don't think beating the Lakers with LeBron means much but I expect a proud club like Perth to not shit the bed two games in a row and think they will put in a much better effort than the Utah game.

Another 60 point loss and LK should make them do the return trip on a boat.

Reply #706245 | Report this post

J  
Years ago

ME, failure to acknowledge a team missing two starters is poor form. Wildcats may not have played a worse game ever, really bad time for the whole team to have a stinker, like everyone. But this destroyed the reputation of the league, LK should penalise them bullshit is comical. Cotton had a bad game so now he is no good, kay a terrible pickup. The only people overreacting are the haters. Kings have an nba caliber centre, perth had jervis playing on gobert... utah will be a top 3 team lac bottom 3. All it showed is the gap between the NBAs best and our league is mammoth, the gap between the NBAs worst and our league, not so much. Please don't bring up united and okc, that okc team was better on paper than in reality all year. I even saw a guarantee that Adelaide will do better than Perth this year, sure predictions with daylight always workout. What is exciting is that the nbl should be an exciting competition allyear, even against hawks and taipans, i dont think any team can take a night off. Lastly there is no such thing as bad publicity

Reply #706252 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

Loved Doc Rivers comments about how playing Sydney is good preparation for the GSW's of this world because of how slick their ball movement is. That's one of the reasons I think for quite a while there I preferred a lot of NBL games to NBA games - you actually got to see teams functioning and not just isolation and two-man games.

It's been great to see a number of NBA teams catching on to the global style and moving the ball more, it's certainly made the NBA much more watchable in recent years. Now I'd just love them to clean up their reffing in the playoffs when teams really switch on their D so we could see more of that free-moving style at the pointy end.

Reply #706254 | Report this post

Hogwash  
Years ago

Loving the banter between anons and ME.
Calling someone a dickhead on the internet is stooping to a childish level.

Full credit to Sydney for being competitive today.
I don't think Perth will be as insipid against Denver as they were against Utah.

I like many others can't wait to see how Adelaide go in their game :)

Reply #706255 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

ME made some great points and of course Perth fans who can't be rational about their team have to name call him behind anon nicks. Stay classy Perth.

Reply #706257 | Report this post

Captain Jack  
Years ago

People, its a pre season game, means nothing to either team and their hopes to their proper season for so many reasons

It doesnt matter if a team loses by 1 or 100 in these games. Kings got closer, but were also at full strength and playing a weaker opponent. Doesnt mean Perth or Melbourne will be worse in the NBL. Guys like Kennedy struggled for Melbourne, but doesnt mean he wont be elite in the NBL.

Its one game, and pre season, lets not over react on either side.

Agreed Paul, I also like the NBA adopting the global game and ball movement, etc

Reply #706260 | Report this post

Hogwash  
Years ago

^ you make sense Captain Jack.
Its just a preseason game.

Reply #706262 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

ME made some decent points (also deliberately misinterpreted another), but book-ended them with "hahaha Perth fans, i'm gonna rub your nose in it." I’m not sure how he was expected to be taken seriously with that.

Reply #706265 | Report this post

AngusH  
Years ago

Really fun game to watch. Clippers might not be an elite NBA team, but Beverley is an all-world defender and there's a lot of length across the board that caused a lot of the turnovers tonight.

Wear had a better game than all of his (few) highlights from preseason combined. Maybe we need to get him to shoot 3s from another foot behind the arc.

Reply #706269 | Report this post

Kings game was fantastic. For large parts of the game they looked like an NBA calibre team. My 2c:
1) Bogut was great. His IQ is still high but often let down by the team.
2) I respect his career but Gaze the coach seems out of his depth. Watched him first hand at the Blitz and thought his attitude was poor.
3) It could be a long season for the Clippers.
4) Kings bench should get better, but they need a mentor coach and it doesn't appear at this point like Gaze is it. Wish him success however.
5) Kings were in it with 7 mins to go and Clippers bench didnt hit the floor until last 2 min. Considering there were so many factors to adjust to, it's an even more impressive effort.
6) Hats off to the NBL for this opportunity. Great for the NBL.

Reply #706273 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Got a bit excited in the last, had $40 multi on Kings and Melbourne beating raptors, was looking at $10,000, oh well.

Reply #706275 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I nearly got a hole in one the other day. Missed by 2m.

Reply #706276 | Report this post

Huskypup  
Years ago

Perth and stay classy should never be used in the same sentence.

Reply #706278 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Sorry!

Reply #706289 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 7:47 am, Fri 29 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754