Anon
Years ago

How teams should be picked for NBLxNBA games

Just a thought for discussion.

I think that teams playing in this NBLxNBA games should be picked from the top 4 after the end of the regular season. Teams that make the Grand Final should play two NBLxNBA games, while the other two that don't, will play just one.

I understand that the NBL has gone with teams that are either very successful, or teams that generally manage to put together solid rosters consistently....... But it would be good if a team like Illawarra or Cairns made the top 4 one year, and watched them take on an NBA team in Pre-Season. Then again, we wouldn't want another repeat of Utah vs Perth.......

What are your thoughts?

Topic #43958 | Report this topic

KET  
Years ago

Probably over thinking preseason exhibition games

Reply #706374 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Beat me to it. Strange topic for a thread.

Reply #706375 | Report this post

ME (he/kangaroo)  
Years ago

Teams pay to go to these games. Affording to do so is the most important thing.

Reply #706378 | Report this post

Anon  
Years ago

Fair point ME, makes more sense now...

Reply #706382 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Let the NBL decide what works best on the whole. Not much point sending regional teams over IMO.

Reply #706401 | Report this post

J  
Years ago

No guarantee the same team returns for the following preseason.

Reply #706413 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

No easy formula. Sydney weren't a playoff team last year but have the league great credibility with their performance. Perth are a regular contender but were embarrassed.

Reply #706471 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Teams in the nbl change so much over one off season that you'll never be able to create a formula to send teams over. So much depends on the imports you sign. Big spending teams are always going to have a better chance to compete against the NBA teams as their talent will more closely mirror what they'll face as compared to Cairns building around locals and budget imports.

Reply #706472 | Report this post

MACDUB  
Years ago

"Teams in the nbl change so much over one off season that you'll never be able to create a formula to send teams over"

Hit the nail on the head; and there's also no guarantee that the big spending teams will perform better than a smaller market team in one-off games anyway. In fact, some of the smaller market teams may do better because they play more like a "team" and are more likely to have consistency of players/systems which can get better performance.

Reply #706486 | Report this post

MACDUB  
Years ago

With that being said, sending over someone like "Sydney" helps with identification and marketability as opposed to sending a "Cairns" or "Wollongoong" where people may say "Where the hell is that team from?"

Reply #706487 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Exactly macdub. I never heard of Cairns until I followed NBL.

All the Yanks know Perth, Sydney and Melbourne.

Reply #706495 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Cain's is a major American tourist destination, while the reef is still kicking, it’s known in America.

Reply #706507 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

LOL Yanks do not know Perth.

Reply #706511 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I love the current selection process, whereby LK throws Perth to the wolves by pitting them against the two teams at the highest altitude. Nice.

Reply #706627 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 6:04 pm, Thu 25 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754