KET
Years ago

Round 1 NBL Broadcast

Looking at the Foxtel TV Guide for next week, i've noticed:

1. Foxtel is showing every game live including the ones shown on Go (albeit they got the teams wrong on the Sunday)

2. The slots are 2 and a half hours, with games starting 20 minutes after the broadcast begins

A few thoughts/questions: does this dispel the theory that Fox won't show all games live? If so, to be honest that's great news.

Secondly, anyone heard anything about NBL TV? Sounds like it's going to essentially die with this Nine/Go deal. The ability to stream all 36ers games while i'm out and about was huge last year!

Third - correct me if i'm wrong, last year they had 2 hour slots, it appears there may be an extra 10 mins pre-game, 10 mins post-game. It will be interesting how they go about doing it, it would be great to see the extra coverage and analysis.

Lastly, any news about the potential NBL Show on a Sunday Morning on Nine?

Topic #43973 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

I've heard NBL TV will continue as usual.

Reply #706643 | Report this post

LV  
Years ago

So will 9Go have a live game every Saturday and Sunday arvo at 2:30?

Reply #706649 | Report this post

DJ  
Years ago

Foxtel app for streaming (if you are a Foxtel customer - you can register 5 devices)

Reply #706650 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Foxtel app is HD now too... finally.

Reply #706655 | Report this post

NBL Lover  
Years ago

http://nbl.com.au/pages/nbl-tv-terms-conditions

NBL.TV is happening. Terms and conditions states 2018/2019 season.

Reply #706678 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

does this dispel the theory that Fox won't show all games live?
If anything, it's more of a concern. If they just aren't showing the Go games live, all games are still live. This just means whichever games aren't live on Fox are possibly not live anywhere.

Fox Sports loves to pull out "every game LIVE" whenever they can, and they went out of their way to avoid doing so when talking about the NBL coverage. Multiple people have directly asked both Fox and the NBL on Twitter to confirm the situation and been met with silence.

Reply #706679 | Report this post

NBL Lover  
Years ago

Doesn't matter if NBL.tv is broadcasting all games live. Looks like NBL is looking after it's product before Foxtel.

Reply #706685 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

Streaming is trash quality though.

Reply #706687 | Report this post

KET  
Years ago

I'd imagine if every game was live it would be splashed everywhere by fox and answered directly by the NBL.

The fact they’re showing Go games live makes it odd why they’d go so silent. Maybe they’re still trying to work it out (perhaps a chance games are shown on Nines main channel exclusively live?) because it’s a stupid move to not be clear about broadcast.

Looking at terms of nbl tv it says nothing about streaming the games let alone live. If it was live in nbl tv they’d have the logo next to fox sports.

Reply #706689 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Years ago

Yeah I've seen nothing anywhere stating that any games will be shown even delayed on NBL TV let alone live streaming of any games after tomorrow three NBL x NBA games.

Reply #706690 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

That's possibly because the NBL have made the decision not to promote it. They want people watching via other means that boost those audiences. NBL TV is now just for the diehards.

Reply #706700 | Report this post

LoveBroker  
Years ago

NBL TV is handy because of the on-demand replay feature.

I have missed a lot of games due to family commitments and envisage more so this year.

So NBL TV is my best way to catch up.

Reply #706702 | Report this post

NBL Fan  
Years ago

I believe channel 9 has all the rights to on-demand games after they've aired.

Reply #706704 | Report this post

Luke  
Years ago

Great to see an extra half an hour added to each broadcast, more game analysis, wonder who pushed the idea though, Fox or the NBL?

Will be interesting to see how long the GO broadcasts are

Reply #706709 | Report this post

Kim Bevan  
Years ago

All games are live on Fox for Round 1 so I don't see any reason why they wouldn't all be live for the whole season, particularly as I have heard on numerous occasions in the past few weeks that all games are live (just like 90% of sport televised on Fox).

Reply #706720 | Report this post

KET  
Years ago

Foxtel magazine only has first week live and the rest TBD

Reply #706728 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

KET, yes in the section labelled Live Sport

Reply #706752 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

All live Round 1. Source: Foxtel EPG.

Reply #706758 | Report this post

NBL Fan  
Years ago

All tip off times got moved forward by 20 minutes, persumably due to complaints by Perth (fair). I think its as good a results as they could have hoped for. Originally were given 11:30am games, now 12pm.

Reply #706917 | Report this post

BB4  
Years ago

Email from foxtel today says:
Every game in HD with no ad-breaks during play.

Reply #706931 | Report this post

KET  
Years ago

On the TV guide article they say every game live and in HD on Fox sports

Reply #706934 | Report this post

Aussie  
Years ago

Why can't the NBL just tell us whether every game of every round are live or not?

Reply #706935 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Probably because they were still in talks with Nine over issues like tipoff times and perhaps streaming rights?

Reply #706947 | Report this post

KET  
Years ago

Who knows, it *seems* like the status for this year is:

FTA
1. 2 games Live on GO! each week; 2:30PM AEDT Sat, Sun (2.5 hrs per game)
2. A Sunday morning NBL show perhaps starting midseason/not at the start

FOX
3. All games Live & in HD

Streaming
4. All games Live NBLTV
5. All games Live on Fox Streaming
6. 2 games Live on 9GO & catchup on 9GO for all other games

Source:
1. NBL Schedule, articles, TV Guide
2. Article on SEN, Interview with Malone/LK
3. Article on TV Guide, Liam Santamaria on NBA x NBL Broadcast, Fox Magazine TV Guide, Foxtel EPG
4. NBL.TV schedule
5. Based on all games being Live on FOX as per 3.
6. Articles

==

Hopefully next year we see something like:
During October/November/February/March games on Nine Network
During December/January on GO!

With broadcast on Sat/Sun being: 3PM-5:30PM AEDT/2:30-5PM ACDT/2-4:30PM AEST/12-3PM AWST.

If a game starts at 3:20PM AEDT, and ends at 5:20 - that gives the broadcast an opportunity to finish on time if overtime is played, or if it goes into multiple overtimes, it will still easily finish prior to the 6pm news.

I think 12:20PM start in Perth is much more viable than 11:50AM, and generally it's a better broadcast time in the other states.

Reply #707006 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

who r the commtators

Reply #707007 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Homicide is back, hopefully no heal.

Reply #707013 | Report this post

LV  
Years ago

Thanks Ket

Reply #707015 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Pretty please no Heal. Surely he's been scrapped.

Reply #707018 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

How do you sign up for NBL.TV?

Reply #707209 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

The hour of dead air between games is a terrible idea.

Reply #707628 | Report this post

KET  
Years ago

What hour of dead air? On fox the nbl coverage is continuous back to back

Reply #707629 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Years ago

Might've been forced onto them by 9.

Plenty of games usually go over the 2 hour block which would constantly screw up their programming schedule at least this way always allocate a 2.5 hour block knowing they can just fill the last 15-20 minutes with something and the rest of the schedule remains intact.

Reply #707631 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

What hour of dead air? On fox the nbl coverage is continuous back to back
There's a 20-minute post-game show, followed by a 20-minute pre-game show. The first game also finished about five minutes early.

Reply #707640 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I like it. Increases the nbl's air time and builds anticipation.

Reply #707642 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

It gives people time to change the channel, too.

Reply #707643 | Report this post

KET  
Years ago

Why would you call nbl pre and post game dead air? It's the opposite, increase in airtime for nbl

Reply #707644 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Years ago

Dead air for NBL TV viewers perhaps not for Fox viewers.

Reply #707645 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

Why would you call nbl pre and post game dead air? It's the opposite, increase in airtime for nbl
Airtime is not inherently good. The Australian crew have certainly done a much better job of filling it than the NZ one, but it's still a long time for nothing important or hugely interesting.

Reply #707650 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Fill it up with 48mins instead.

Reply #707676 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

In the Brisbane v Cairns game, when a guy shoots free throws they go to this camera shot from behind the basket except you can't actually see the ring. That's poor.

Reply #708287 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Years ago

Reply #708302 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Luuuuc: *applause* emoji

Reply #708305 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 6:11 pm, Sat 20 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754