Waves2Lynx
Years ago

WNBL Season Previews & Predictions

Season starts this week, what are everybodies thoughts?

I think the favourites are Melbourne, can't discount Batkovic and Townsville. Canberra if they can get everyone fit is next best and either Sydney or Adelaide to make the last final spot. Can't see any of the other three do anything but fight for the wooden spoon.

Not sure on MVP. Batkovic safe pick. Someone from Melbourne like O'Hea or George. Taylor again will be up there and likely another import will do well.

Topic #43988 | Report this topic

Years ago

some good imports heading our way - some of them will be runners for MVP.

If Adelaide can get through the early rounds without Alexander due to injury they will be good.

Canberra look like being up there at this stage along with Melbourne.

Reply #707056 | Report this post

Camel 31  
Years ago

so , kelsey griffin - grand final mvp , agen .......

Reply #707069 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Big question marks about Canberra's health, but if they all get going then look out. Nurse is legit.

Reply #707071 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Years ago

I agree that Perth and especially Bendigo will struggle with lack of depth (and in Perth's case major lack of size too). Rangers could be competitive though if Jarry & Blicavs are healthy.
Boomers are seriously stacked, and Canberra ... yeah, if they are healthy then they look great too. It's a big IF in their case considering how many players are coming in off serious injuries.

Not as much star power as last season, but should still be enjoyable. Good to have SBS on board but pity it's only for 9 out of the 15 rounds.

Reply #707107 | Report this post

Cram  
Years ago

Definitely some good squads. Great to see it get some play at SBS.

On a personal note, I only wish there were some games in a central Melbourne area. We have 3 teams in Vic, but none are in a remotely good location for me. Hope to get to a few Boomers games, but given given the hassle of getting to and from games, it'll only be a few at best.

Reply #707127 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Canberra defensively going to be fantastic, except for pg position.

Reply #707128 | Report this post

Camel 31  
Years ago

good to see season opening ceremony on sbs news last nite.... very nice ...

Reply #707141 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

was it? damn I missed it. the nbl & wnbl season opening stuff was live on fox sports yesterday but they cut away from it to show general sports news when it got to the wnbl part! that pissed me right off! that amount of disrespect on launch day doesn't bode well for how fox sports treats the league. glad to hear that sbs has some respect at least.

Reply #707150 | Report this post

AshT  
Years ago

Bendigo continue to worry me when you notice the club stalwarts not returning for whatever reason (real reasons for no Richards, Oliver, Rolph, Karaitiana + Griffin's move??) but I've got some degree of suspicion there. They've a couple of handy imports, plus potential breakout years for the likes of Wehrung & Whittle, so hopefully all's good for a strong season.

Cram, I agree. I live 80mins west of Melb and would jump across for games at say the zoo (as I do for the Geelong game), whereas SBC & Dand get to be hard work just for one game. It must be a rude shock for anyone thinking they'd just fly in from interstate for a game too.

Reply #707155 | Report this post

Crock  
Years ago

What was this launch thing?

Reply #707159 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Anyone have the full list of DPs?

Reply #707244 | Report this post

AshT  
Years ago

DP's - This page provides a list but obviously not quite up to date:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_2018%E2%80%9319_WNBL_team_rosters

Reply #707265 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Yeah, I've been on that wiki page but it's missing about 12+ people.

Reply #707267 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Years ago

Good to see a Dufelmeier back in a national basketball league. We've been a tad short of them for a while now.

Reply #707297 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Just a guess... some might be full contract.

Adelaide
Ruby Porter

Bendigo
Bianca Dufelmeier, Courtenay Wragg, Caitlin Maclachan,

Canberra
Abby Cubillo, Elizajane Loader

Dandenong
Georgia Amoore, Taylah Gilliam, Brianna Whatman, Last Tear Poa, Leia Hanafin, Maddi Puli, Saraid Taylor

Melbourne
Leah Santamaggio, Jade Melbourne, Jazmin Shelley, Lara Edmanson, Olivia Pollerd, Josephine Stockill, Isobel Anstey

Perth
Tayah Burtows, Isabelle Miotti,

Sydney
Not sure

Townsville
Alexandra Fowler

Reply #707299 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Years ago

Roy Ward's WNBL Preview from The Age:

WNBL preview: Boomers primed to stop Batkovic's last stand

Reply #707391 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Ladder at the end of the season
Melbourne
Townsville
Adelaide
Canberra
Perth
Sydney
Dandenong
Bendigo

Townsville to go back to back

Reply #707895 | Report this post

UseTaHoop  
Years ago

Luuuc

Pay the Tad Dufelmeier reference.

Reply #707937 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 8:31 pm, Thu 25 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754